PDA

View Full Version : Track Day #1

chrman
05-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Here are a few shots from my first track day at Loudon with the Penguin School. What a blast, and I will do many MANY more!!...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/chrman/03668__Trackday051006.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/chrman/03348__Trackday051006.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/chrman/03996__Trackday051006.jpg

ckruzel
05-21-2006, 07:34 PM
awsome, it looks like you were having a blast :plus:

derrickhackman
05-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Chris, looks like you were having a blast. I bet it is like 'crack' being out on the track letting it fly.

I am pressing for the 2-day school the 13-14 of June. It is either this or the STAR school on Aug 15-16 but I there is a chance I may have to be in FL at that time. Are you doing the 2-day Penguin school on the 13-14? If not, any tips about the track or the program in general?

chrman
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
...Are you doing the 2-day Penguin school on the 13-14? If not, any tips about the track or the program in general?

No, I'm not signed up for anymore Penguin days this year - I'm doing Tonystrackdays twice and Seacoast once.

I did the Street Rider Track Day with Penguin, not the Racing School. The difference is that the racing school is more, well, racing-oriented, whereas the track day is basically an open practice. Penguin really ran a great day - very friendly people and instructors. We got away with a dry day on 5/10 as it threatened to rain all day. This made for alot of no-shows and thus LOTS of track time! Loudon is a pretty technical track - most corners are late-apexed and irregular radius so it takes some laps to get the hang of it. You really need to work on corner entry and braking points. But once you feel confident, it is awesome, albeit only 1.6 miles. Next year, I plan to do some true road courses, maybe Mid-Ohio and/or VIR.

The only problem with this whole track day thing is that you could lose it all - your non-riding friends, your family, your life savings, if you let the addiction really take. I can not wait to get back to the track!

KaneRSV
05-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Lookin good Chris! I've got two trackdays planned for July, but nothing definate till then. I definately need a trackday fix.

What did you think of the bowl the first time you saw it?

FalcoLion
05-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey Chris

Looking good. I know what you mean by being hooked. I am now on my third year of being hooked. Just did a track day with NY Sportbike Club (http://www.citadelmotorsports.com/nysbc/default.asp). The guy that run the club a top notch and the whole thing was superb. Because it was on Tuesday there not too many attendees and we had plenty of track time. If you are local to the area I recommend this club. They do not have too many track days buut they have it well organized not too crowded and lots of fun

multimoto
05-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Very cool.. I am hooked as well.. I am ready to go again here real soon..

:plus:

chrman
05-25-2006, 08:13 AM
...What did you think of the bowl the first time you saw it?

I remember watching Scott Russell and company wheelying over the crest down into the bowl back in the early '90s and when I got there for the first time, I said HOLY S@#T!! It's a pretty dramatic drop in elevation from the top of 5 down into the bowl, and to be going fast enough to wheely over that rise and then be able to brake into turn 6 takes some doin'!!! After a bunch of laps, I got the hang of entering 6 - it's another tricky one to apex at Loudon, so thanks to Penguin for putting cones at the apex for help.

I got to the point where the front end got light coming over the crest and was able to trail brake into the apex. The banked pavement, bowl shape, and width of the track there makes it a real fun corner. It can be taken at pretty good speed once you get confidence, but you really have to work on your line to set up for turns 7, 8, and 9. The whole track is like this - you really need to get your line right or you lose rythm, but especially into turn 1 and the bowl.

Don, are you doing the Seacoast day on the 24th of July? I'll be there. I'll also be doing Tonys on June 1 and August 29.

Vlad, have you guys done any Sunday AM rides yet? I've been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to ride on the street much (another reason to get your kicks with track days!). My bike's been in track config since May 10. I'll put 'er back in street form after 6/1.

FalcoLion
05-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey,

Chris

NH is a very fun track with lots of tough turns. I actually liked it a lot. I had a few problems I think turn 3 after you come back from straightaway and have to do 180 degree to go up towards bowl.

No we haven't done any Sunday rides yet. The weather wasn't really cooperating. I actually thought of putting up a call for this Saturday morning so that would leave everyone 2 days with the family and one day for ourselves. What do you think?

chrman
05-25-2006, 08:54 AM
...I actually thought of putting up a call for this Saturday morning so that would leave everyone 2 days with the family and one day for ourselves. What do you think?

I'm going to WaldenMX on Sat to kill myself on my dirt bike and the rest of the weekend I've got plans. Maybe next Sunday?

FalcoLion
05-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Be careful out there and have fun. I will check the weather and if looking good will post and see what happens. Next weekend should be good.

jetfever
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Nice Airbox! :) Great Photos Chris, You Look great and obviously having fun.
Stay on top of it, Steve:burnout:

KaneRSV
05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure about the seacoast day, but I'm doing the tonystrackday the following day on the 25th. I might be doing the tonys day Aug 29th as well, just need to get my schedule right.

Chris, are you planning on going to the Syracuse Mile on June 17.

gmccomb
05-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey Chris

Looking good. I know what you mean by being hooked. I am now on my third year of being hooked. Just did a track day with NY Sportbike Club (http://www.citadelmotorsports.com/nysbc/default.asp). The guy that run the club a top notch and the whole thing was superb. Because it was on Tuesday there not too many attendees and we had plenty of track time. If you are local to the area I recommend this club. They do not have too many track days buut they have it well organized not too crowded and lots of fun

ahhhhggh! what did you do to that poor kitty?

:WTF:

chrman
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
...Chris, are you planning on going to the Syracuse Mile on June 17.

Yes, I plan to. My next door neighbor's a big Syr Mile fan and may come along as well.

KaneRSV
05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Sounds good. Are you guys planning on riding or driving out?

chrman
05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
We'll probably drive out. Are you riding there? How close do you live to The Mile?

KaneRSV
05-26-2006, 02:39 AM
I'm riding down with a couple friends, I live about 30 minutes away. We'll probably park close to, or at the Aprilia rig.

muamer
06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
What's with Syracuse mille? Organized ride or what?

muamer
06-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok I know now.

KaneRSV
06-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Are you going to be there Maumer?

muamer
06-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Yeah if you guys are riding out for sure!

pbigoney
06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Terribly addicting isn't it??? I like doing track day there last year and the bowl is a great turn. I never did get comofrtable braking into turn 3 looking at the concrete before going up the hill.
Hope to see ya again this year for another romp thru the hills in VT.

derrickhackman
06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, we need to get a ride going... perhaps next month we can do the RT100 ride into VT. Everyone on deck for this? Sometime early July?

chrman
06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Terribly addicting isn't it??? I like doing track day there last year and the bowl is a great turn. I never did get comofrtable braking into turn 3 looking at the concrete before going up the hill.
Hope to see ya again this year for another romp thru the hills in VT.

Yes, very addicting. I did a Tonys Trackday yesterday and you were right Paul - crowded but he runs it very well. I had tons of track time and the on-track traffic wasn't bad at all. Turn 3 is pretty tricky - when I got tired I kept turning in early and riding over the rumble strips. But I was bloody well grinding my left knee slider in 2 and the bowl (6). Got the right down a couple times in 3 and 4 but that is a pretty tricky area. It was so hot and muggy yesterday there that I must have drank 8 gallons of water, so after about the fifth session, I was getting worn out. What an incredible time though!

I am ready for a ride - Rt 100, Green Mountains, it's all good.

muamer
06-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Is this in Syracuse happening and when?

KaneRSV
06-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Yes, its at the track at the fairgrounds on Saturday June 17th

muamer
06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Ok count me in.

pbigoney
06-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Did you repaint your bike??
Turn two is a B****. That nice lump when you transition onto the main oval.
Looks good, I havn't committed to any track days this year yet. Mulling this over some more as time is a factor for me. Going to WV for a week in JUly, we rented a house
Drop me a PM some time when any of you guys want to hook up. I was thru RT 100 last weekend, did all the gaps. Weather was nice.
See ya sometime.

chrman
06-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Did you repaint your bike??
Turn two is a B****. That nice lump when you transition onto the main oval.
Looks good, I havn't committed to any track days this year yet. Mulling this over some more as time is a factor for me. Going to WV for a week in JUly, we rented a house
Drop me a PM some time when any of you guys want to hook up. I was thru RT 100 last weekend, did all the gaps. Weather was nice.
See ya sometime.

No, that's the used track plastic I bought over the winter and repainted. The transitions are something to get used to but not too unnerving, at least not at the pace I was going.

Paul, if you didn't see it in the Trackdays forum, I am trying to sell my Tonys Trackdays spot on August 29th. Are you interested? Let me know either way.

I am in for a Rt 100 ride asap. I've had my fill of kid softball/soccer games and around-the-house work and am ready for a good ride. Maybe next weekend? Are you available during the week at all?

chrman
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
One of the many things that amazed me at track day #2 (Tonys Trackdays at Loudon) was how HOT the frame and swingarm got! Funny how the bikes personality goes from street hustler barely breaking a sweat to track hound using much more of its potential.

I probably induced more brake wear in two track days than all of the 11,000 road miles before that. And the tires - Good Lord it's a great badge of honor to have that melted look on the skins. I had to sweep the marbles out of my garage!

FalcoLion
06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Chris, agree with you on the tires. I didn't even think that I could do what I did. Tires definitely do not last more than 3 (tops 4) track days. (4 is pushing) :burnout:

chrman
06-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Chris, agree with you on the tires. I didn't even think that I could do what I did. Tires definitely do not last more than 3 (tops 4) track days. (4 is pushing) :burnout:

It was the funniest thing with the tires: My GSXR friend I was there with was always bitching about how far over he thought he was on the street, he'd look at his tires and still have about 1/2" chicken strip staring back up at him. Well, after the second session, we came into the pits and I looked down at his tire and said "LOOK!!". He looked at it and almost fainted. It was scuffed heavily all the way to the edge.

I've done two days on my Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and they look to have plenty more to go.

chrman
06-16-2006, 08:38 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/chrman/20060604c057s.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/chrman/20060604c115s.jpg

derrickhackman
06-16-2006, 11:38 AM
nice shots ... that is in the bowl :burnout: i love the bowl and the hard drive out of the bowl... the front gets soooo light right by the flag tower :burnout:

chrman
06-16-2006, 12:15 PM
nice shots ... that is in the bowl :burnout: i love the bowl and the hard drive out of the bowl... the front gets soooo light right by the flag tower :burnout:

Thanks, D. Yes, the front wheel comes up a tad if you're not over the tank while flicking left to right - woohooo!!!!