PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wheelie their SR50 ditech

Jon / AF1 Racing
08-23-2003, 04:19 PM
So does anyone notice that their ditech runs out of gas very quickly when doing a wheelie?

I am about to make a mod for mine that extends the fuel pickup to the rear of the tank. As it is, the pickup is at the front of the tank, which is also the lowest part of the tank. Unfortunately even if the tank is totally full of fuel, there is still enough air to get into the system.

This would not present a problem except that being fuel injected, the ditech is constantly cycling fuel from the tank to the injector and back into the tank. It only takes about 3 seconds to make a cycle so that is about as long as you can wheelie before running out of gas.

Anyone already create a mod for this? I am guessing Strong Bad has run across this issue judging by his stoppie picture.

I will take pictures as I go, and create a writeup on it.

phidauex
08-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Heh, I doubt I could maintain a wheelie or stoppie for that long. Thanks for lording your hot little project ditech over our heads, Jon. ;)

Regardless, it should be an interesting mod. However, if you move the fuel pickup to the rear of the tank, won't that mean that the tank will go empty faster during normal riding, since there will be an unutilized pool of gas at the front of the tank? And won't stoppies cause even more trouble than wheelies would, since a rear tank pickup would cause the gas to slosh away from it when you lifted the rear?

How to trick bikers deal with this? What is different about a sportbike fuel tank that keeps things flowing even if the bike is up on its rear wheel for miles?

peace,
sam

Jon / AF1 Racing
08-23-2003, 08:14 PM
You use the throttle in a stoppie??? :p

I will probably put the pickup right in the middle of the tank. It will take a little out of the useful volume of the tank, but you have to make sacrifices to stunt I guess (beats pounding a big ass dent in your tank).

On a sportbike the pickup is usually in the center. As long as you have at least a half tank you are fine. Same will hold true for this little project.

We shall see how it goes.

BTW the only way to get better at wheelies is to practice practice practice.

PAUL
08-24-2003, 12:53 PM
I've had the same problem during a wheelie... it basically ran out of fuel and stopped... No problem though, i could turn it back on, but still it scared me coz i hadn't thought about it that it could happen... BTW, it only happens if you make a wheelie longer than 50 meter or something...

phidauex
08-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Jon / AF1 Racing
You use the throttle in a stoppie??? :p

LOL, good point! I suppose air could still get sucked in, killing the scooter after you land, but if you aren't using much throttle, its not going to be sucking very hard anyway...

Well, I suppose I'll keep practicing the wheelies, and then come along and do your mod once the thing dies on me. ;)

peace,
sam