PDA

View Full Version : Fast Idle - What temp do you take off?

gavin.wilkins
05-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Guys (and Gals)

While still trying to get my head round why :confused: the tuono has a fast idle lever anyway - i was wondering (after a spectacular 10 yard skid the other evening) what temp you generally take off from ... i.e. - do you start and go when still fast idling, do you (like me) let it get to 50 degrees or so when the idle is off - or are you somewhere in the middle?

Or to put it another way, what temp does the bike have to get to so I don't either (a) take off like a scolded whippet or (b) stall it changing into second, locking the rear wheel and sliding none to gracefully up the road?

Gavin

Doohan
05-10-2006, 08:38 AM
I'll get my Falco in an hour or so..

I have a standard procedure though. Start the engine, put on helmet and gloves, then I take off. Low revs untill the engine have build up temperature, offcourse, but there's no reason to wait.

Harry H
05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I always switch the fast Idle off at the roundabout by the Iron Bridge.

Hope that helps :)

D@ve
05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I find that in cold weather, if I don't let mine get up to around the fifty mark before i put it in first gear, it tends to drag on the clutch. I use the fast idle to start mine but knock it of pretty much as soon as the engine fires up. I think it depends on the chip, exhaust, airbox configuration as to how these beasts start and idle.

vito
05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
speaking fahrenheit here, but i ususally modulate the fast idle during warm-up so it doesn't start revving too much. cut off the fast idle when actual temperature starts being displayed - 95 or so. start riding at 120 but take it easy until 140.

jetfever
05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Depends on the engine mods/ chip/ tuning. I have an Aprilia SBK chip and throttle bodies/ trim pots tuned by Amauri at Spectrum. My bike runs smoothly with just a little fast Idle when cold and I can idle out of my neighborhood as soon as I start with no engine stall. But with the FP chip I could not even ride the bike when cold/cool or it would stall. Bike would stall when throttle was closed, or if I blipped the throttle unless fully warmed up.:plus: I have Aprilia/Akra 2 into 2 and I have a neighbor who complimented me on how I leave at 7:00 am on Sun morn!:) (Not that I care, I just love the tractability of my Tuono, dont want the engine above Idle till it warms a little).

BigK
05-12-2006, 07:09 AM
I am a firm believer in letting an engine warm up before putting any load on it. Bikes, cars, boats..... whatever. Give the engine some time to distribute heat into all components, so you don't have a cylinder at 60 degrees ambient temp., and a cumbustion chamber firing at 1200 degrees, heating the piston. Makes for improper fit between piston and cylinder. To each his own

twin4me
05-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Start up with idle on full - after a few moments I turn it down a bit to about 1500 revs. Put helemt and gloves on. Drive off, turn off completely at the top of the hill which is after about half a mile.

The Dr.Jon
05-12-2006, 08:14 AM
I always let her warm up and don't ride off with the choke/fast idle on. This is usually at about 45-50 degrees C.

jetfever
05-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I forgot to mention I have a slight down hill or level road for the first 1/2 mile and I stop in an industrial park to let my bike warm up B4 adding throttle. I think BigK is on the right track. I put almost no load on the engine as an easy slip of the clutch (no throttle) at 1200-1400 RPM (or the minimum idle speed cold) gets me idling out of the neighborhood, while oil in gearbox/clutch gets circulating as well. This is my Sat/Sun morning 6-7:00 am start. :cheers: My main point is the Tuono would never do this without stalling, B4 good set up, or with FP chip/ stock chip.:plus: :blah:

roly
05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
hi
on start up half choke 1800 revs plus ,few seconds,choke off a little 1500 rpm,start off 1minute later
140 f, switch off choke on straight road. stays around 170 to 174 f.

mikeo
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Same as DJ, don't move til it's 45 degrees, then steady on the throttle til in the seventies. Why is it the big v twins need to be warmed up before loading, but most car makers say to start moving straightaway, and not to let it warm up with no load?

Tuoner
05-12-2006, 07:04 PM
If I don't have time to warmup the engine, I wait at least to 50 degrees C then I ride with low revs. changing gears early helps to keep it low around 2500

Dilbert996
05-13-2006, 06:54 AM
...Why is it the big v twins need to be warmed up before loading, but most car makers say to start moving straightaway, and not to let it warm up with no load?

with cars, it's all to do with the catalytic converters and reaching its optimum fuel economy temperature asap. As with all engines, its also about not loading ("labouring") the engine hard before the oil has a chance to circulate and protect the internals. Easy really!!

oliver
05-14-2006, 01:47 PM
I have to wait until about 140f or it will stall. I open the fast idle a bit to get the bike to start and then I generally warm up the bike at the lowest possible rpm, or close to it. My Ducati has what the manual calls an "automated fast idle" so I don't have to make any adjustments to get the bike started...in fact, it won't start if I open the throttle or fast idle lever. Very convenient and not what you'd expect out of Ducati!