PDA

View Full Version : Repairing and using a tyre that had a puncture?

fastfrank
05-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi All,

The question is:

If you had a puncture in your rear tyre - bang in the middle (no sidewall damage), would you get is repaired and continue to use it? Bearing in mind the tyre had at least 2000 miles worth left in it.

Thanks
Frank

The Dr.Jon
05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I have had a tyre repaired on the Tuono where the repair iwas in the middle of the tyre and then caned it all the way to Donington from London and back and beyond....no problems. I also had a rear tyre repaired on my old RS250 Aprilia and did a track day at Brands...again no problemo!:burnout:

Batfastard
05-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Sorry, for the sake of a hundred quid I would not risk it.

D@ve
05-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm running on one at the moment, I had a nail bang in the centre of a brand new diablo, had it repaired and it's been fine.

petenats
05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I just managed to get a nice big nail in the centre of my Pirelli on the way back from Oliver's Mount after the May 1st antics. It still has a good 2000 miles left in it and when I had it replaced I was informed by the nice chaps in the Rocket Centre in Blackburn that as long as they are re-vulcanised, tyres are completely safe, and legal to use. I took back my old tyre and it's sitting in the car boot waiting for a trip to Rossendale Vulcanising. I've not been in touch with them yet but apparently the repairs cost around £25.

They have a website at www.rossendalevulcanising.co.uk

Pete.

chrisexup
05-07-2006, 09:20 PM
been there, done that, no probs :burnout:
Chris.

jswjr600
05-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I had a sportec M1 on the back of a B12s with 3 tar strip plugs in it by the time I shitcanned it. It saw 130+ mph speeds, never had a problem.

Sure, you might have a plug pop out, but if its a rear, who cares.

kzmille
05-08-2006, 02:17 AM
If you are on the road a plug will get you home but you should remove the tire and put a proper patch inside the tire ASAP. I have been repairing them for many years with no problems, just use common sense. A small nail hole is no problem but don't try a repair if the damage too extensive.

ARAIHEAD
05-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Sorry, for the sake of a hundred quid I would not risk it.

Paul, can you bring all your punctured tyres to the GNM with you, i know a good home they can gan to m8!!!!:happy:

windy
05-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Punctured a tyre on a zx6r within the first few days, had it plugged did the I.O.M. and a track day no problems.

Martin.

twin4me
05-08-2006, 03:45 AM
I've been running with a plug in mine for about 1,500 miles with no problem - I had 3 nails in 3 tyres in 3 weeks last year. The first time the tyre was nearly worn out so I changed it, got another one a week later, couldn't fix it so another new tyre, got another one a week later, fixed that one.

The Dr.Jon
05-08-2006, 04:10 AM
I've been running with a plug in mine for about 1,500 miles with no problem - I had 3 nails in 3 weeks last year.

:eek: Will somebody say something!:happy:

:burnout:

FTM
05-08-2006, 04:15 AM
:eek: Will somebody say something!:happy:

It's up to you.

Go on it's only money.

You can't do it can you.

:bump:

ARAIHEAD
05-08-2006, 04:16 AM
:rolleyes: Well i cant, i'm sworn not to , for the time being anyway!!!!!!!!1:bangwall:

jojosr2000
05-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Guess i'll be doing this tomorrow, hell may just ride to autoparts shop and get patch and do it right now lol... I've had a slow leak for months.. 2-4lbs a night, finally got off my ass to see why, lil bitty finishing nail in the tire.

empyreal100
05-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Since you are soliciting all sorts of personal anecdotes and amateur opionions on which to base your potentially life-threatening decision, here's my $0.02:

I would use a patched/plugged tire for the street, but would no longer exceed 120 mph (200 kph?). Even unplugged tires have occassionally torn themselves apart from the tremendous centrifugal forces of a rapidly spinning tire. I would worry that these forces would stretch & tear at the repair long before they would affect the tire.

Another way to look at it using Expected Value Analysis: Let's say a new tire costs $180, and let's further estimate that there is only a 5% chance that the patched tire will fail (pretty safe odds at 20:1. Then the Expected Value of your life is: $180 / 5% = $3,600. If you value the worth of "not crashing" at greater than $3,600 then you should replace the tire.

My life is worth at least 10,000x that amount (to me anyway), so the odds of the tire failing must be less than .0005% before I would use it again. I feel the odds of a patched tire failing are far higher than .0005%. But maybe your life is worth less.

Of course, by this logic, we wouldn't be riding motorcycles at all I suppose.....

kzmille
05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Something missing from most peoples tool kit that prevents properly applying a patch inside a tire is a tire buffer. Most tires have a rough texture on the inside that must be buffed smooth before you can apply the patch.

RSV_Ecosse
05-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Got a puncture on a rear Pilot Power recently, just shoved some "Slime" into it and it was fine for the next 1000 miles or so, till I needed to change it because of wear rates.

Slime or its counterparts work just fine, as long as it aint a hole in the sidewall.

Try Slime before you fanny about with a plug or a patch.

kzmille
05-08-2006, 07:52 PM
...Of course, by this logic, we wouldn't be riding motorcycles at all I suppose.....
Sorry to be grim but your chances of dying in a collision while riding your bike are far greater than a patched tire disintegrating. I agree that some self imposed speed limit might be a good idea with a repaired tire. And one other thing. I patch my own tires. I would not have someone else do it. If you know how to do it your self or know someone you trust then fine. Don't leave this to someone who might not know what they are doing.

Drt Boy
05-08-2006, 08:37 PM
As Service Manager of a dealership, if you were at my counter I'd say no ...... get a new tire. Any good lawyer will tell you that's the only smart thing a dealership can say.

But, when I got a staple in the front (I'm not kidding) 5 minutes into the first ride, I said: screw it! It's a very small hole, can't have inflicted any cord damage, so I ran a string plug into it. Then did two track days (one at Barber and one at Jennings). And, I'm still running the same tire today.

Be smart. If it's in any way compromised the tire, replace it. If you don't know, replace it. If it's small you might get away with it.

DB

The Dr.Jon
05-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Since you are soliciting all sorts of personal anecdotes and amateur opionions on which to base your potentially life-threatening decision, here's my $0.02:

Expected Value Analysis: Let's say a new tire costs $180, and let's further estimate that there is only a 5% chance that the patched tire will fail (pretty safe odds at 20:1. Then the Expected Value of your life is: $180 / 5% = $3,600. If you value the worth of "not crashing" at greater than $3,600 then you should replace the tire.

Of course, by this logic, we wouldn't be riding motorcycles at all I suppose.....
Lies, damn lies and statistics:rolleyes: . Using a formula and adding numbers may seem to add value to an argument, but it is pointless when you get those numbers via the "let's say..." conjuring method.

D@ve
05-09-2006, 05:37 AM
It's a proven fact that 83.5% of all statistics are wrong anyway ;)

ARAIHEAD
05-09-2006, 05:37 AM
As Service Manager of a dealership, if you were at my counter I'd say no ...... get a new tire. Any good lawyer will tell you that's the only smart thing a dealership can say.

But, when I got a staple in the front (I'm not kidding) 5 minutes into the first ride, I said: screw it! It's a very small hole, can't have inflicted any cord damage, so I ran a string plug into it. Then did two track days (one at Barber and one at Jennings). And, I'm still running the same tire today.

Be smart. If it's in any way compromised the tire, replace it. If you don't know, replace it. If it's small you might get away with it.

DB
Excellent answer, be sensible about it, & all should be ok!:)

Dilbert996
05-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I've just discovered that the Tuono I bought at the start of April has got a repair plug in the centre of the rear tyre tread (Avon Azaro), which I hadn't noticed before !!

RobC
05-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Got a puncture on a rear Pilot Power recently, just shoved some "Slime" into it and it was fine for the next 1000 miles or so, till I needed to change it because of wear rates.

Slime or its counterparts work just fine, as long as it aint a hole in the sidewall.

Try Slime before you fanny about with a plug or a patch.
one thing to watch with Slime and the like - above ~110 the tyre gets warm enough to affect the slime. Going down to Spain a couple of years ago, my rear (Slimed) tyre was down to about 30psi every other fuel stop. At town speeds, no problems and no noticable leaking, but on the motorway, keep an eye on pressures.

The Dr.Jon
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I've just discovered that the Tuono I bought at the start of April has got a repair plug in the centre of the rear tyre tread (Avon Azaro), which I hadn't noticed before !!

Avon's offer a warranty on their tyres, dependent on the tread depth. I had some Azarros which were punctured with a few 100 miles on and got a direct replacement completely free inc. fitting etc! However, after only about 2,000 miles the rear started de-laminating at an alarming rate, so no more of those for me. I will be monitoring Omen's feedback on the Avon Vipers though. :burnout:

motogeezer
05-09-2006, 09:23 AM
The second time I rode my R I noticed a big nail head in the middle of the rear tire while stopped out in the middle of BFE.
I got out my tool kit, readied my string plug and install tool and while pulling the nail out with my pliers, immediately inserted the plug.
Minimal air loss and everything was good.
I cut off the excess, put the 3 inch framing nail in my pocket and rode on.
That was a while and a lot of miles back, w/no problem.
I've kept my eye on it and all is well
Hit 142 on it last Sunday.....:happy:

RSV_Ecosse
05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
one thing to watch with Slime and the like - above ~110 the tyre gets warm enough to affect the slime. Going down to Spain a couple of years ago, my rear (Slimed) tyre was down to about 30psi every other fuel stop. At town speeds, no problems and no noticable leaking, but on the motorway, keep an eye on pressures.

I didn't know that m8, thanks for the "heads up" on it. :plus:

Was going to add Slime back into my freshly fitted ( last week ) Pilot Powers just in case of any future punctures as a preventative measure, but I dont think I'll bother now.

Judge Dredd
05-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Was going to add Slime back into my freshly fitted ( last week ) Pilot Powers just in case of any future punctures as a preventative measure, but I dont think I'll bother now.

Very wise move. I would not put that muck in a kiddies cycle let alone a high speed bike. Some guys on the blackbird site I use did that and ended up with high speed tyre wobble....not very nice. Took out and everything went back to normal.

shane1
05-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Just my two (african) cents worth and only my own findings..

Put slime, or its equivalent in my punctured rear on a ZX6 some time ago - it all leaked out and went like contact glue on the rear of me bike while moving, looked like a condor had the shits all over the rear and had to beadblast the end can to get it off.

Secondly, found that the fact that the repaired tire could go at any point preyed on my mind everytime I went quick and completely cocked my confidence up.....ended up tosssing the tyre and soon forgot the pain of replacing it.
Then I had no more excuses for riding like a girl!

S