PDA

View Full Version : Less than a week to go until the Open House/ Ride-in (very long and informative post)

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-05-2006, 01:31 AM
We have less than a week to go until our big Open House and Aprilia Ride-in.

All of us are in full adrenaline mode, and the excitement is building. We have been working some very long hours leading up to this event. Here are some notes and comments about the event (since I can’t sleep)

Friday.....we have confirmed the catering of BBQ for Friday. They will start serving at 7PM. I ordered BBQ for 200 people, if we have leftovers, we'll eat them on Saturday. We'll have plenty of drinks (tea, soda, water and beer). We'll eat, drink, and play on mini bikes late into the night. We can continue the party down the street at the local bars.

Saturday.....go for a ride in the morning, there is another thread talking about ride routes.

Late Saturday Afternoon would be perfect for toobing. Some bad news though.....I was unable to book a toobing trip with any of the companies. I called three of them, and told them to come get us, but I think all toobing companies are run by stoners, and not businessmen. O well, you can just ride down to one, and jump in; they have trips from 2hrs to 6hrs. It’s pretty cheap. Water is cold (bring lots of beer), but will feel great. Expect air temps in the mid to upper 90s. We unfortunately cannot join you on this adventure. We have to stay behind, and keep the shop open.

Sunday morning would be a good day for another ride. We are having a big Italian lunch catered. I got food again for around 200 people. Chow time is around noon. Towards late afternoon we'll be loading the racebikes into the trailer, and preparing for departure to College Station.

Monday is the track day.....easy enough....show up early, go fast, and don’t crash

Other Notes:

There is plenty of parking in the back for trailers and campers. We will have the side street gate open during the day. Just go around to the side, and park there. You are welcome to keep your bike inside the warehouse during the night. We'll be locking the shop at night and setting the alarm. We will open at 9AM on Saturday and Sunday (unless you bribe Micah to come in earlier, he's a morning person, I am NOT). Steve and Jon commute in from Austin, so they won’t be there early. You can park anywhere except in front of the big red garage door in the front. That is where our shop truck will park, so we can go get stuff (like more ice) during the day.

We have the following stuff confirmed. I rented tables and chairs for 200 people. I also rented a big port-a-cooler for the warehouse. It’s not too hot in there especially with some big fans on. The cooler should make it very nice in there. The tables and chairs will be in the warehouse, it is also where we'll eat. I also rented 4 port-o-johns for outside. Our building has 4 working bathrooms, but our building is VERY old (parts of it date to the 1920s), so we don’t want any surprises.....really, we don't.

Some bad news....We will not be able to do any dyno runs or dyno work. Our new dyno room is simply not finished. It has turned into a massive project, but it will be worth it in the end. We have taken everything we learned from 4 years of running the dyno at the old shop, and are incoprating that into this room. You'll see it; I'd say we're about 60-70% done with it. It will be completely soundproof when we are done. I must give thanks to my dad; none of it would have been built without his help. Him and I worked on it until 11:30PM tonight. Its huge (14' wide, 28' long, and over 12' tall). The walls are close to 1' thick. It will have four giant 48" fans for fresh air, and two 3HP high velocity (120mph+) radiator cooling fans. You'll see it....we really hoped to have it finished, but we simply have run out of time.

You are free to go anywhere in the building except the parts inventory/shipping room. We'll have that part locked off. We'll have plenty of merchandise to check out in the showroom, and the showroom has its own parts counter. The back parking lot will be open, and the warehouse will be open. We have a car wash bay in back, so you can rinse your bikes off, if you want. The "wood" office in the showroom will be a good place to keep your helmets and gear. It is going to be our customer lounge, but we haven't found a big couch yet. We'll put some tables in there. We might also setup a coat check station using the Dutch door to our inventory room. We'll see on that...

Make yourself at home.....Drinks will be in the warehouse in ice chests.....have at it. Snacks and food will also be in the warehouse.

NOTE: If anyone is driving in and can bring an extra ice chest, we would really appreciate it. We'll go through lots of ice and lots of drinks over the weekend, and could use extra ice chest space.

We'll have a special table in the showroom. On it will be the registration table for the prizes, also some local maps, and some info on local stuff to do. You can also pick up your official "2006 AF1 Open House" stickers (thanks to Kruzel) on this table. To enter for the prize drawings, you will fill out a simple entry form. We have lots of prizes already setup. We'll do random drawings throughout Saturday and Sunday. You will NOT have to be present to win. You just need to be present to enter. We can ship you your prizes if you want. Our very vocal (read loud) Parts Unlimited rep, Craig Lane, will be the official in charge of the drawings. Prizes include some Pirelli tires, probably 40 t-shirts from several vendors, Alpinestar hats, Motovation framesliders, battery tenders, cycle cynches, and more.

AF1 Racing is a total of 4 people, well actually, 5 total people starting tomorrow. Please keep that in mind. We maybe spread kind of thin, and we will probably be way overworked. We will have lots of help from family, friends, and suppliers, but we'll still be only 5 official AF1 people. Service work will be VERY limited. The phone will probably NOT be answered on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Key people will have our cell phone numbers in case of emergencies. Online orders will not be processed on those three days as well. We'll try to keep at least two of us at the showroom parts counter throughout the days to help people. Remember, we have a creepy basement to put you in, if you act out of line.

Riding in and around New Braunfels.......BE VERY CAREFUL.......THE STREETS AROUND THE SHOP ARE VERY SLICK......our shop Aprilia Rally 70cc scooter will spin the tire with ease.......granted, its an AF1 built race scooter, but its still a scooter. My car can spin the tires in almost any gear. THE DEER ARE NO JOKE.....Texas has lots of deer. I pass by at least 10 of them in my short little 3 mile drive home every night. I've had to honk to get them to move out of my driveway before. Somebody crashing is the last thing we want to happen.

Probably should warn you.......there is the slim chance our showroom A/C might not be working 100%. It is scheduled to be fixed in the next day or so, but part of the new roof has to be re-engineered for the AC to work correctly again, so it’s a big job. The showroom has 3 AC units on the roof, and two of them burned up recently because the new roof did not give them very good airflow.

I am still working on setting up some big TVs for the showroom......long story on that.....I ordered a new 50" Sony XBR lcd TV on April 15th, paid for 3-5 day shipping. It still had not shipped as of yesterday, so I got pissed and canceled my order. Looks like Best Buy will get some business this weekend. I'll also bring two big TVs from my house......then I just need to get Speed Channel hooked up (easy), and run some cables in the attic (sort of easy). MotoGP is scheduled for 5PM Sunday on Speed.

What if it rains? We have plenty of dry space inside for everyone....so we'll all sit inside, drink beer, and watch it rain.....

RS_Patrick
05-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Really bummed out i cant make it there, was really looking forward to seeing some people i talk to on here and the AF1 crew.
Maybe next year again?

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-05-2006, 01:53 AM
yes, there will be a 2007 event as well....we'll have a whole year to plan and get ready for that one.....

budzrex
05-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Ed, Buddy Slover here I live in town you have my cell if you need any help feel free to give me a call. I am more than happy to volunteer.

Davenet
05-05-2006, 09:09 AM
"Here are some notes and comments about the event (since I can’t sleep)"

Better work on that since you probably won't have much sleep next weekend during the hootinanny!

If you guys need any help, let me know. I'll be headed down from DFW at 7am on Friday to be there around 12-1. Since I will be in a rental, I'll have plenty of free time on my hands to help out & drink your beer.:) Please feel free to put me to work helping out when I arrive.

Can't wait,

David

mikeyyc
05-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Can't wait to get there.:cheers:

Camell0
05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
We'll have plenty of drinks (tea, soda, water and beer).

I know its bad form to make beer requests, but I cant think of a more friendly way to say 'Welcome to Texas' than have some ice-cold Shiner available. :cheers:

t1n0m3n
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I am pretty much a beer snob, so most likely I will be drinking lemonade or water. :)

I might hit a liquor store to get some good beer. New Braunfels is not in a dry county is it?

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
we are a full on wet county

vito
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
goid bless texas. or at least some parts of it.

bobdavis73
05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
If you need any hauling, gofer runs, setup tables, move stuff.... just let me know. I'll have my Trail Blazer down there so I can help if you need anything.

ONE WEEK LEFT!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

ckruzel
05-06-2006, 10:45 AM
You can also pick up your official "2006 AF1 Open House" stickers (thanks to Kruzel) on this table. .

happy to help out, i only wish i could have made the trip out. really bummed i couldn't make it.

have you found a spot for the ED X racerx style decal?

uberchicken
05-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Wish I could make it but I'll have to wait untill next year.

MilleR Time
05-06-2006, 02:23 PM

would that be the women or the alcohol.. thanks in advance for any clarification.

GixVix and i are most definately a maybe. she's gotta work so we'll see what kinda arrangement we can't make to come harass you boys. let us know if you need anything.

Wingspan
05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I hate that I'm going to miss this! At least I got to meet and say hello to the AF1 guys at the dealer show here in Indy.

LUCKY DAVE
05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm really going to miss being there. I have another moto event to attend that weekend, my old friend Nancy (Emde) Stuard's 50th birthday bash. I want to attend next year, though. I have to plan in advance, as we travel a lot, and schedules have to be juggled.
Hoist one for me,
David

twocycler
05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Micah,

I just got your message this morning, believe it or not. I had some major surgery and recovery is coming along, albeit slowly. I would love to come to the open house, but wont be going anywhere for awhile. Being able to meet all you guys was one of my highlights at TWS last year. We qualified the F/X 6th at Barber (1st non-factory bike), so that is coming along...I still miss swapping jets, though :) ! I promise, I will send you something personal for the new shop...

Thanks,

Rocky Stargel
Team Stargel Castrol

mgtx73
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Ed/Micah,
Do you still need ice chests? When I come pick up my bike, I can bring 4 ice chests for you guys to use.

Let me know,
mike

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
we are good on ice chests....

we are going to rent a big freezer from the ice company.....gotta keep the kegs, soda, and water cold all weekend

Hatchman
05-10-2006, 08:05 AM
we are good on ice chests....

we are going to rent a big freezer from the ice company.....gotta keep the kegs, soda, and water cold all weekend

Wow, a whole freezer. That's cool!

Get it?... cool?
I'll be there all weekend, don't forget to tip your waitress. :happy:

Good news on the mini's, got mine loaded up with the motard rims on it, ready to terrorize the neighborhood.

Earthpilot
05-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I went by AF1 yesterday and things look great - they have really busted butt
to have as much done as they have since they have only been there 4 months. One thing I always realize about New Braunfels and NE San Antonio areas , they consistently have the CHEAPEST gas prices anywhere! I saw regular at 2.58 and premium at 2.82 which is almost 25 cents a gallon less than the Houston area ( can't figure that one out , we make it here and have the least distance to transport , oh yeah it's called gouging DUH! )
One other thing that is important about this weekend - New Braunfels is a relatively quiet/slow town outside of the river areas - lots of little old ladies and men driving around, do AF1 a favor and ride through town on good behavior - there will be plenty of miles to "open it up" on the rides to the Hill
Country. Have a safe trip to AF1 /Aprilia City everyone !

Arkansawyer
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
do AF1 a favor and ride through town on good behavior -

:plus:

Excellent point!

Hatchman
05-10-2006, 04:29 PM
:happy: Haha, I guess that is directed at me and my 'terrorize the neighborhood' comment. Don't worry, mom/dad :soap: , it was just a joke. :kidding:

billerzal
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Ed, remind me - is the wet t-shirt contest Friday or Saturday night?:cheers: