PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia SXV gets a 4th place finish in its first outing

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
here is the race report sent to me for this first event for the Team Pacifico Aprilia supermoto team

AMA Supermoto Championship Round 1, Fontana CA.

Hi Everyone,

After a disappointing end to the season last year, I was really excited to have the chance to become Aprilia USA rider for 2006 and 2007. The support
the team gathered building up to the race was unbelievable, we were extremely excited to announce Pacifico to become a major sponsor of the Team one week before this round.

The testing and training before this event was very complex and totally down to the last minutes, our results testing were great and we were feeling really confident to have a strong result from the start.

It did not go the way we wanted, but ended amazingly well. This is how it went....

Practice
As I went on the track, I took my time to work the lines in and feel out our bike. To me every thing seemed great, until we ran into a mechanical
problem with the engine, causing us to withdraw from the practice after 4 laps.

1st Timed Qualifying
Due to the mechanical problem I had to jump on the back up bike, which was not set up like the race bike. Luck again was not going our way when we believe a stone got caught in the chain while landing off the metal table top jump on the second lap, the load it put on the engine caused it to break some teeth off a gear inside the engine. I still just went for it knowing I need a lap or two to be in an okay position for the race until it came to a stop. I was 6th.

2nd timed Qualifying
The bikes where being worked on and I had to sit out this session. I moved back to 7th.

Final
After finding we had no option but to take a brand new street show bike 1 hour before the start and mount my plastic, wheels, suspension and brakes on that bike to have the chance to keep us in the championship. My Team was amazing building this bike in little time we had and really deserved us getting this result. It was a real challenge as we were down on horse power and also not really knowing the track, I started well and just put my head down and amazingly finished 4th.

Summary
I can not say enough for the team this weekend, I went into this championship a title contender and with these miscellaneous problems that were put in out way, we still came out on top and in a good position to win this Championship. It has been a tough 3 weeks putting this together and I must thank Chuck McCarty my mechanic and Ed Lozano, Robert Pandya, Cameron Funk, Keith Curry and Derrick Lucchesi for their amazing support, also a special thanks to Aprilia USA and Pacifico, along with Team sponsors Abandon wines, Blue Lizard, Good Night sleep centers, Parts Unlimited, BOZ Bros, Race Tech, Dunlop, Thor, Alpinestars, Scott, Acerbis, ZLT, STM clutches, East coast wheels, x-biking, Beringer brakes, Suzuka tire warmers, Mechanix wear, Torco oils, K&N Filters, Works Connection, Highway 12, Ogio, Asterisk, Renthal, Regina Chains, West Coast Supermoto schools, discount wheel warehouse.

Please visit www.apriliausa.com for more web stories and updates.

Thank you for your support, enjoy the photos from the weekend.

Next Event
May 20th - Supermoto USA Infineon

Kind Regards,

Darryl Atkins
Team Aprilia Racing USA
www.apriliausa.com

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
thanks for the pic..... ;)

You can see the dash with price tag, and the horn

cosaro
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
WOW thats amazing work there, very lucky they had a show bike lying around dont you reckon!
Is this race against Race Prepped Singles ? What kind of horse power differences are we talking about compairing the Show bike and the race ones ?

05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
WOW thats amazing work there, very lucky they had a show bike lying around dont you reckon!
Is this race against Race Prepped Singles ? What kind of horse power differences are we talking about compairing the Show bike and the race ones ?

Yea like you're going to get them to answer that one. LOL

Quix
05-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Don't distributors have standard bikes on "show" in the US? They do in Australia so you can see the race bike and the "streetable" version. Pretty smart marketing especially for a new release like the Aprilia.