PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice - First road bike.

helmie
04-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi,
Im 15, and Im planning to get a Road bike when im 16 (Dec 8th, long time away :bangwall: )

Anyway, since when im 16 I can only have a 50cc, I wanted an RS50, as it looks like a proper bike, not a pishy scooter.

I know how to ride a bike, my brother taught me about 6 years ago. However, ive only ever been on the road once, and that was on a Thumpstar dirt-bike, so I dont really know what a road bike is like.

So could anyone tell me what an RS50 is like on petrol, what to look for when buying used, average insurance costs, road tax etc.

Cheers

Helmie :happy:

samRS
04-30-2006, 05:39 PM
petrol lasts about 180km without going on reserve on mine i think roughly, maybe a bit more

tax is 15

insurance depends on loads of things

RiejuR51
04-30-2006, 05:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aprilia-Tuono-50cc_W0QQitemZ4636224688QQcategoryZ9913QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

i swear this guy is nutts?? 800 quid reserve. 03 bike, buy it now, early bday present

samRS
04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aprilia-Tuono-50cc_W0QQitemZ4636224688QQcategoryZ9913QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

i swear this guy is nutts?? 800 quid reserve. 03 bike, buy it now, early bday present

that is very cheap for a bike of its condition, but look at it!!!!!!! :happy:

helmie
04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
petrol lasts about 180km without going on reserve on mine i think roughly, maybe a bit more

tax is 15

insurance depends on loads of things

Cheers for the reply.

15... Jesus, what a difference between a car, is that for a year or 6 months.

The insurance.... Well I would have to fake some dates etc for a quote, but just say:

Low Risk post code
Bike kept garaged
Say 1000-2000 annual miles
And of course, 0 years NCB, licence held for less than a year etc

Also, when you pass your test at 16, is it a provisional (sp?) you get, and not a full licence? I would prob only run the bike untill I was 17, then buy a car.

RiejuR51
04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Cheers for the reply.

The insurance.... Well I would have to fake some dates etc for a quote, but just say:

Low Risk post code
Bike kept garaged

Also, when you pass your test at 16, is it a provisional (sp?) you get, and not a full licence? I would prob only run the bike untill I was 17, then buy a car.its classed as a provisional moped lisence at 16, then gets bumped up to a provisional motorcycle at 17

samRS
04-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Cheers for the reply.

Low Risk post code
Bike kept garaged
Also, when you pass your test at 16, is it a provisional (sp?) you get, and not a full licence? I would prob only run the bike untill I was 17, then buy a car.

tax is for the year, what insurance do you want? tpo, tpft, fc? there isnt a test at 16, only a CBT which is a training day which is compulsory, once youve completed that you can ride a moped, the CBT lasts for 2 years

helmie
04-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Yeah, that looks OK, however, Im looking around this sorta budget lol:

RS50 on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4636174392&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUK%3A1&rd=1)

Also, how much for an MOT, same price as a car? And whats the prices like for spares, ive read that the RS50 is a little fragile.

(Read that Here (http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/aprilia_rs50_tips.shtml), and thats where I found this forum from too :D)

helmie
04-30-2006, 05:54 PM
tax is for the year, what insurance do you want? tpo, tpft, fc? there isnt a test at 16, only a CBT which is a training day which is compulsory, once youve completed that you can ride a moped, the CBT lasts for 2 years

Ah right, that sounds good.

As for Insurance, Fully Comp would be nice, but Tpft would be OK.

priller
04-30-2006, 05:54 PM
there isnt a test at 16, only a CBT which is a training day which is compulsory, once youve completed that you can ride a moped, the CBT lasts for 2 years
there is, full moped license.

That tuono is cheap because nobody wants them.

samRS
04-30-2006, 05:57 PM

ok maybe there is but who is stupid enough to do it? what do you gain, nothing except no L plates isnt it? and maybe pillion taking?

helmie
04-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Whats so bad about the Tuono? I wouldnt have one as it looks S**t next to an RS50.

samRS
04-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Whats so bad about the Tuono? I wouldnt have one as it looks S**t next to an RS50.

nothings bad about them, just the looks, it is a real bargain though. Buy it, mod it so it look reasonable and tehn ride it

oh and you are not going to get a decent RS50 for 100 lol!!!!

priller
04-30-2006, 06:00 PM
ok maybe there is but who is stupid enough to do it? what do you gain, nothing except no L plates isnt it? and maybe pillion taking?

No l-plates & carry pillions, still needs to be restricted though.

Nothing, look how many rs50's are around compared to tuono's. Same with the 125, tuono never sold aswell as the rs.

helmie
04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
oh and you are not going to get a decent RS50 for 100 lol!!!!

Oh I know, my max budget is prob around 600, I do have a PT job in a petrol station, but I dont get many hours. Another problem with me getting a cheap one is that im about 1000 miles from civilisation, ie the Scottish Highlands (70 miles north of Inverness)

1.04 for petrol :mad:

EDIT: Is it only from a certain year up that he RS50 has been restricted, or are they all restricted?

RiejuR51
04-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh I know, my max budget is prob around 600, I do have a PT job in a petrol station, but I dont get many hours. Another problem with me getting a cheap one is that im about 1000 miles from civilisation, ie the Scottish Highlands (70 miles north of Inverness)

1.04 for petrol :mad:
then is it really worth you buying an rs50? why not w8 to get a car or a 125, i know that you want a bike, i was like that before i got mine and fuck me its bin nothing but fun! (when it works that is) but if its that much of an incovenience with such a small budget why not w8 or get a rieju rs1 rip off of the rs like i did lol still beats em tho as its that much lighter

helmie
04-30-2006, 06:11 PM
then is it really worth you buying an rs50? why not w8 to get a car or a 125, i know that you want a bike, i was like that before i got mine and fuck me its bin nothing but fun! (when it works that is) but if its that much of an incovenience with such a small budget why not w8 or get a rieju rs1 rip off of the rs like i did lol still beats em tho as its that much lighter

Thing is, I could go with a higher budget, that £600 would be my own cash, I could get something from my parents, and my brother would prob give me cash too, since he would be on it the whole time.

Petrol isnt too much of a problem.... I work in a v.old petrol station, ie no elecronics, its the old write it in a book, no one would notice if a few litres went missing ;)

EDIT: If I could strech my budget to £700, that would seem OK. Theres a fair few RS50s on ebay for around that, so If i can source on locally, then I could get a bargin.

RiejuR51
04-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Thing is, I could go with a higher budget, that 600 would be my own cash, I could get something from my parents, and my brother would prob give me cash too, since he would be on it the whole time.

Petrol isnt too much of a problem.... I work in a v.old petrol station, ie no elecronics, its the old write it in a book, no one would notice if a few litres went missing ;)

EDIT: If I could strech my budget to 700, that would seem OK. Theres a fair few RS50s on ebay for around that, so If i can source on locally, then I could get a bargin.
but i doubt you will be getin a decent rs for 700 quid up there in scotland, you will be hard pushed to find a decent looking 1 and mechanically sound 1

but good luck to ya tho

Steffman
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I have the touno, and it does look a lot better in real life than on picture, only thing is that there should be a bigger engine since it's exposed. but the thing is, people tend to take photos from a much lower wiew than the one you'll actually look at the bike from in the parking lot/on the road. also it would look a lot better with the RS rear seat or a solo rider kit, wich i'm concidering to get for my bike.

RiejuR51
04-30-2006, 06:17 PM
also it would look a lot better with the RS seat or a solo rider kit, wich i'm concidering to get for my bike.
yeah, i saw a tuono50 with an rs rear seat, looks alot better, like its meant to be there, not like the crappy seat they put on it standard, wtf was they thinking? dont go solo seat, imo its an upright bike/tourer (if a 50 can be a tourer) and shouldnt have a solo. jst go with the seat change

helmie
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
but i doubt you will be getin a decent rs for 700 quid up there in scotland, you will be hard pushed to find a decent looking 1 and mechanically sound 1

but good luck to ya tho

Ah you never know, theres loads of bikers up in Thurso (Bout 45 miles north), and theres a good bike shop there too.

However, I could go as far as Aberdeen etc no problem.

Keyz
04-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, when i got my bike back in december id never ridden a geard bike in my life, it only tuk me roughly a week to get goin and on the road by myself.

As for petrol i usually spend around 7 a week and that goin to collage and back 4 timesa week and work and back around 3 times a week, imo the RS is very cheap petrol.

For the insurence i paid 460 for tpft from lexham - was by far the cheapest for me.

And finally i reckon u could pick up an rs50 for around 700 but it would probs need a fair bit of work doing to it.

helmie
05-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Well, when i got my bike back in december id never ridden a geard bike in my life, it only tuk me roughly a week to get goin and on the road by myself.

As for petrol i usually spend around 7 a week and that goin to collage and back 4 timesa week and work and back around 3 times a week, imo the RS is very cheap petrol.

For the insurence i paid 460 for tpft from lexham - was by far the cheapest for me.

And finally i reckon u could pick up an rs50 for around 700 but it would probs need a fair bit of work doing to it.

Ah right, cheers. I know how to ride a geared bike, just not a road bike (BTW, for the gears, is it Down for first, then up for the rest, or Up for first?)

I should be alright for petrol, since I work in a petrol station, and I wont be doing that many miles, and ill only do the odd long journey (Ie more than 30 miles, that would take a while lol)

For insurence, is there any way to insure through your parents, like you can do on a car? My brother will prob be off on the bike the whole time anyway, so If im just a named rider, i should get a cheaper quote. (Hes had his bike licence for around 5 years)

As for finding an RS50 locally, theres two in the scot ads (Local selling paper), one is at 1000, the other 1300. The 1300 one is pretty new (51 Plate), and its MOTd etc. The 1000 (Which is only 35 miles away :D) there isnt many details about it, only that its taxed.

Rs50_Rs50
05-01-2006, 04:23 AM
1 down 5 up for the gears :) and 1300 is alot for a 51 plate me thinks

helmie
05-01-2006, 04:55 AM
1 down 5 up for the gears :) and 1300 is alot for a 51 plate me thinks

Cheers. Yeah, £1300 does seem excessive, being a 2001 bike, you can get cheaper on ebay.

EDIT: Another question: How any BHP is the RS50 pusshing standard (Say a 98 model, I dont think Im gona be able to afford a 2000> model, but you never know.)

Rs50_Rs50
05-01-2006, 05:09 AM
i think the BHP is really small lol something like 5hp lol maybe less im not sure but if you keep saving you could get a decent bike i got a 2003 for 1100 but i have seen 2003 models go for like 900-1000

helmie
05-01-2006, 05:33 AM
i think the BHP is really small lol something like 5hp lol maybe less im not sure but if you keep saving you could get a decent bike i got a 2003 for 1100 but i have seen 2003 models go for like 900-1000

Sweet, if 2003 models are going for around 1000, then a 98 should be a fair bit cheaper.

I would like a 2000> Model, but im going on holiday in 3 months, so really any money I save untill then goes to it. I would like the bike before my birthday, ill be taking my CBT on my birthday.

Rs50_Rs50
05-01-2006, 05:40 AM
you have quite alot of time still my bday was in feb and i started saving in september the year before, ask for money for your birthday and maybe early for christmas etc, that will help at least it did with me.

helmie
05-01-2006, 05:44 AM
you have quite alot of time still my bday was in feb and i started saving in september the year before, ask for money for your birthday and maybe early for christmas etc, that will help at least it did with me.

Yeh, good idea. I was gona ask for the cost of the CBT for my birthday, but from other family members, i could ask for cash. I rekon my brother would chip in, he would love another bike, he wants an RS125, so maybe he would spare some cash.

RiejuR51
05-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Yeh, good idea. I was gona ask for the cost of the CBT for my birthday, but from other family members, i could ask for cash. I rekon my brother would chip in, he would love another bike, he wants an RS150, so maybe he would spare some cash.
now u mean 125 dont you? but goin back to the price of a bike, i think that because of where you live, its gonna be hard to find a cheap bike without having to cross the english border lol

helmie
05-01-2006, 05:53 AM
now u mean 125 dont you? but goin back to the price of a bike, i think that because of where you live, its gonna be hard to find a cheap bike without having to cross the english border lol

Woops, yeh, a 125. I know its gona be kinda hard, theres one on ebay im watchin, but its near newcastle. There is the one locally at 1k, im sure i could get the price down.

RiejuR51
05-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Woops, yeh, a 125. I know its gona be kinda hard, theres one on ebay im watchin, but its near newcastle. There is the one locally at 1k, im sure i could get the price down.
well there is no harm in offering lower than he's asking, at the end of the day, all he can say is no, thats it, GO 4 IT

helmie
05-01-2006, 06:10 AM
well there is no harm in offering lower than he's asking, at the end of the day, all he can say is no, thats it, GO 4 IT

Yeh, i will do, ill see if I can persuade the parents for cash lol.

Oh yeh, I remembered what bike my bro had as a first - An Aprilia AF1 50cc. Is it sorta simmilar to the RS50 in any ways? The RS50 looks nicer IMO anyway.

RiejuR51
05-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Yeh, i will do, ill see if I can persuade the parents for cash lol.

Oh yeh, I remembered what bike my bro had as a first - An Aprilia AF1 50cc. Is it sorta simmilar to the RS50 in any ways? The RS50 looks nicer IMO anyway.
same am6 minarelli engine

helmie
05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
same am6 minarelli engine

Ah right, thanks.

Gso3
05-01-2006, 06:46 AM
im insured for an 80cc bbk n arrow racing exhaust for 252 :happy:

helmie
05-01-2006, 09:23 AM
I phoned the guy with the RS50 for 1k, hes 15 himself! He wants to sell it as he thinks hes gona get caught, so hes selling. Its a 1999 V reg, no MOT, taxed till august, de-restriced with an "Arrow" exhaust (Someone tell me about this, good make/type?) and its black. I might go and see it tonight, but I have no money at all, so I cant buy it. I forgot to ask how many miles tho.

It seems very over-priced though, since you can buy a 2006 model for 2k, and newer ones are on ebay cheaper. I might drive a real good bargin! :cheers:

rs50_spooner
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
no mot BEWARE

helmie
05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
no mot BEWARE

It was just out apparently, and they said that there was nothing that needed doing for the MOT. My brother is a Mechanic, so he can check it over.

matty moo
05-02-2006, 05:37 AM
i thort mine looked ok and it went fine when i took it out,but u neva no mines bin nothing but problems,i think ur better off getting somthing wiv lots of mot,and spending a bit more,i wish id done it!

helmie
05-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, Just tried getting an insurance quote from lexham, and this is what I got back:

Cover: Third Party Fire & Theft
Insurer: NIG
Premium: 234
Excess: 0

I think that seems about right, my brother was around that for his AF1, (Which ive found is for sale for 50, but its in really shape, so ive heard)

williamr
05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
A bit of unpopular advice.

Don't get a bike at 16. Restricted 50s are bloody dangerous. They're not much better if you derestrict them, which can invalidate your insurance (should be a hanging offence) and the scottish cops will probably start copying some of the English forces and dyno testing 'peds and seizing them.

Wait a year and get a 125 - they're safer, more fun, and if you're sensible have no legal hassles.

Rob

samRS
05-02-2006, 09:06 AM
what if a moped is needed to commute on? i know id be lost without mine, i wouldnt be able to go to college, therefore no education

VickersUK
05-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Don't get a bike at 16. Restricted 50s are bloody dangerous. They're not much better if you derestrict them, which can invalidate your insurance (should be a hanging offence) and the scottish cops will probably start copying some of the English forces and dyno testing 'peds and seizing them.

Wait a year and get a 125 - they're safer, more fun, and if you're sensible have no legal hassles.

Rob

I am against that. Was on my RS50 from my 16th birthday (after CBT) and loved it. The independence was such a big thing. I wear appropriate gear and ride sensibly and was never stopped once. Don't ride with groups of peds, display your L plates with pride and be polite if you are stopped and you should be pretty safe.

A years experience cannot be brought and I am thankful for the year I had before jumping on the 125.

EDIT< dont know if this link was posted or not to reinforce the point that Tuono's dont sell http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APRILIA-125-TUONO-SILVER-WITH-2-YEAR-UK-WARRENTY_W0QQitemZ4635682116QQcategoryZ9913QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is a dealership selling a tuono for dirt cheap BRAND NEW

helmie
05-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Rob

Im up in the north of scotland... You hardly ever see the police about, and I have never once seen them stop anyone, or heard of anyone been stopped around my area. Its only around Inverness they stop anyone, and I wont be going there on the RS50, it would take ages lol.

I Agree with VickersUK. I want the freedom.

williamr
05-02-2006, 09:41 AM
I Agree with VickersUK. I want the freedom.

I sympathise, but they are dangerous in any real traffic. Still, I suppose up there you only see the occasional ox cart. Be careful.

Rob

helmie
05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I sympathise, but they are dangerous in any real traffic. Still, I suppose up there you only see the occasional ox cart. Be careful.

Rob

:happy: LOL! Yeh, theres not much traffic, and on the main A9, theres still not that much. My brother is getting an RS125, so experience with the RS50 will be good, then I could use his sometimes.