PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Aprilia Dealer in NYC

joebikernyc
04-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi

I just bought my first Aprilia, a 2001 Futura off of ebay. I was wondering where to take it to for service. I live in NYC (Brooklyn). Does anyone here have any experience with NYC Aprilia or any other shops in the area.

Thanks
Joe Altamura

jaltamura@gmail.com

hank
04-29-2006, 06:21 PM
There are several places for service in the area.

I live in NYC (Upper West Side) - I take my bikes to Martin EuroSport in PA....

FalcoLion
04-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Hey, Joe.

Brooklyn is here. Yeah I have taken my bike to NYC Aprilia and they are Ok. I think they used to be lot better when "Dutch" was working there as their Service Department manager. Franky, head mechanic, is a great guy and knows his stuff. If its your 1st service their price is Ok but otherwise you have to talk to them about $$$$. Rollin' Fast in Lebanon NJ is not to far and those guys are very good plus priced right. Its a matter of how much time you got on your hands.

I do not see a point of driving as far as PA unless the above 2 places would not be able to service your machine. Just my 2 cents

Where in Brooklyn are you?

Almost forgot. I got to give you are customary Falco welcome.

So welcome and f*ck off :)

P.S. Since you are new I will let you on a little secret here. In order to reach wider audience you should have posted this question in "Other Biker Bar"

hank
04-30-2006, 05:25 AM
I do not see a point of driving as far as PA unless the above 2 places would not be able to service your machine. Just my 2 cents

Far enough... but from my perspective, it certainly IS worth driving to PA, without question - Bill Himmelsbach is an Aprilia guru from the Mille SP to the RS250 (e.g., his son Mike's Daytona winning Aprilia RSV250 GP bike). Also, Mark Corcoran (the tech formerly known as 'Corky') has worked with Bill for over 10 years.

I trust these guys implicitly. They are experts on Aprilia & Ducati - both my bikes get serviced there.

YMMV

joebikernyc
05-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I was just on LI and Gols Coast told me they will soon be an Aprilia dealer.

Ill try to contact the people in NJ and PA,

This will be my 1st Aprilia, I'm coming off the big BMW K1200LT.

Im in Greenpoint

Take care
Joe

ckruzel
05-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Bill Himmelsbach is an Aprilia guru from the Mille SP to the RS250 (e.g., his son Mike's Daytona winning Aprilia RSV250 GP bike). Also, Mark Corcoran (the tech formerly known as 'Corky') has worked with Bill for over 10 years.

:plus: i don't think you can go wrong with himmelsbach working on your bike, i go to warhorse, but they are my second choice

FalcoLion
05-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I was just on LI and Gols Coast told me they will soon be an Aprilia dealer.

Ill try to contact the people in NJ and PA,

This will be my 1st Aprilia, I'm coming off the big BMW K1200LT.

Im in Greenpoint

Take care
Joe

I use Gold Coast for my Triumph. I cannot say anything bad about them but definitely not as friendly as NYC Aprilia or Rollin Fast in NJ

ZeroTwoRSV
05-14-2006, 01:07 PM
If you feel like taking a short ride northbound, try Cliff's BMW / Aprilia / Ducati in Danbury, CT.

www.cliffsbmw.com

hank
05-15-2006, 07:59 AM
I use Gold Coast for my Triumph. I cannot say anything bad about them but definitely not as friendly as NYC Aprilia or Rollin Fast in NJ

I know several people who were directly lied to by Avi at Gold Coast about their inventory of bikes on hand, or actually had their bikes damaged while getting minor service. Persjonally, I would avoid that shop at any cost...:gunner:

FalcoLion
05-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Well guys here are the news about Aprilia NYC (for anyone that cares). I called today Aprilia NYC and got someone on the phone. I ask to be transferred to service department and it takes them about 5-7 minutes to transfer me there. Some shmuck picks up the phone and asks if he can help. Well I ask for Frank who used to be their lead mechanic. "Sorry sir but Frank is no longer here". Then I ask if I could get some pricing on some part for Aprilia. Same shmuck tells me that unfortunately he cannot help me right now because he is swamped and anyway Aprilia doesn't ship parts anymore :bangwall: :WTF: and the guy hang up the phone. I am stunned and extremely pissed :pissed: So I call back and ask for the owner - Howie and get the same answer as before: "Sorry sir but Howie is no longer here". Huh??? So I ask: "Did Howie sell this place?" "Something like that" - I get in return. :rolleyes: I ask to speak to whomever runs this store so they transfer me to someone named Bill who is supposed to be a store general manager. I started to tell Bill that whoever he got downstairs in parts department doesn't know what customer service is and why is that Aprilia NYC (supposedly a factory store) cannot get parts and everyone else can? The asshole just hags up on me.

All I can say now is that this store went from being top notch cutomer service oriented and friendly to being run by incompetent morons. :mad: Sorry for my venting but I was extremely shocked by this whole experience. If its not going to rain tomorrow I actually will take a ride down there to see who th f*ck is running the place.

In contrast I called Jon (AF1) and told him what I need. Jon took all the information and promissed to get back to me within 10-15 minutes. Jon called me back promptly gave me all run down on prices and told me that all the parts that I need shown to be in stock in Aprilia warehouse and it would not take them more than 1 week to get to them.

Out of all the stores that I called only AF1 got back to me right away. Three other somewhat local guys apologized and told me that they are swamped and will get back to me in the morning. Actually Rockwell cycles got back to me with regular prices and told me that once they set me up as a shop/dealer they will get back to me in the morning with my dealer prices. :plus: All of these guys told me that it would take about a week to 2 weeks to get parts. Only idiots at Aprilia NYC told me they cannot get parts :bs:

ZeroTwoRSV
05-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Rockwell's doesn't seem bad, and its close to Bear Mt. so that can only be a good thing :plus:

Just curious, did you contact Cliff's BMW? I was wondering if they were a store that got back to you or were too busy.

There is nothing more aggrevating than poor customer service, and needlessly so.

It is my understanding that all vehicle dealers must be privately owned in NY (maybe the states) and as such, Aprilia needed an "owner" for their NYC store. Howie owns another shop on Long Island, at least he did a few years back, so he was juggling both stores if memory serves correct. I would imagine he grew tired of running both shops, and probably lives on The Island, so decided to "sell". This is mostly theory, but worth a thought.

If the weather were more promising today, I'd meet you down there.

FalcoLion
05-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Howie, used to own Extreme Motorsports that went belly up last year or so. Extreme didn't pay for their bikes and Kawasaki and KTM came in and took the bikes away. Aprilia NYC was his baby. So hearing that he is not there is somewhat surprising. He actually got Ducati, MV Agusta and Confederate into his store to have more products to sell. Unfortunately whoever works there right now don't seem to have a concept of a cuctomer service. I actually called there 2 weeks ago to ask about price for the same parts I would be looking and got pretty much same answer. "Sir, I am sorry we are swamped and I cannot give you any answers. I do not have time to look up your parts. I might have to take your phone and will TRY to get back to you in the evening". Well, they never did. Again AF1 was on top and gave me answers right away and Rollin Fast got back to me within 5 minutes. I thought that this situation didn't look right but gave Aprilia NYC a benefit of a doubt and a possibility of them being busy. :bangwall: Second time just proved that they have bunch of idiots working there. I will stop by there anyway just to see what happened.

Arkansawyer
05-20-2006, 11:20 AM
While it is obviously not practical to have AF1 perform service work (NY to TX) there is no question in my mind where my parts will be purchased from now on and that is AF1.

They are officially THE SHIT!

These guys spent hours tinkering and setting up peoples bikes, letting us use their lift, tools and knowledge. Tell me another shop (not just Aprilia) that would allow you to use there shop, tools and have them walk you through whatever maintenance you were performing. Gave us free reign in there shop fed us and all the drink we needed.

All of my Aprilia parts will be purchased from AF1......period.

:cheers:

FalcoLion
05-20-2006, 11:28 AM
I just heard from my local shops and all I can say AF1 rocks. I will be getting all these parts from them. I would rather pay them because every time I deal with them its a pleasure instead of people with attitude. I have a shop and I would be the biggest idiot and a moron if I ever respond to my cutomers the way I was responded to by Aprilia NYC. That response would not have been typical last year but I guess there is a huge change happenning there now:bangwall:

FalcoLion
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
I went down Aprilia NYC to check out what is going on there. The store looks good as always and now have tons of bikes but almost none of the Aprilias. The only 2 Aprilias that I saw were 03 or 04 Red Tuono and 03 Red Falco both with sold sign on them. They have this Falco now for over 2 years. I actually wanted to get that one but they wouldn't move on the price. Anyway the store is full of Ducatis, some MV (very few - like 3 maybe), not even one Moto Guzzi. I went downstairs to service/pats department and I saw the following scenario. 3 people waiting on the 2 guys behind a counter, second guy answering the phone and telling to someone on the other end that they are swamped. :bangwall: I am thinking to myself that he got to be f*ing kidding me. Its only 3 people waiting to ask some questions and 2 assholes behind the counter. After the dumb ass answers the phone he disappears and leaves just one guy to answer everyones questions. When my turn comes around I asked how soon I can get some parts (I am going to order them from AF1 anyway) but I just wanted to hear the response live. The parts guy tells me that he cannot get anything from Aprilia now. :WTF: So,I asked him if they are still partly owned by Aprilia and he says affirmatively "Yes". So, I asked how come they cannot get anything? I was shocked by his answer. "Well Aprilia doesn't send us any parts and/or bikes either" :bangwall: :rolleyes:

Well all I could say is that I will no longer be their customer for anything. Frank, who was their lead mechanic is gone too. All around not a very nice situation for Aprilia lovers

mg75
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I recently bought my bike from Aprilia NYC. I dealt with Gus which was a really nice guy and helped me as much as possible.
You are right about the service department... very busy and not too good on the customer service. The techs are nice and were giving me lots of advice. I think they have much more Ducati experience than other bikes.
There are Aprilia signs everywhere but it seems as they are much more Ducati now days. Lots of Aprilia scooters but almost no bikes.
They also told me that Aprilia has not been returning their phone calls.
Bill (manager) used to work for Jack Trebour Motorcycles in Ledgewood, NJ. He seems as a nice guy...

Also, remember this is NYC.

taziscool
05-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi

I just bought my first Aprilia, a 2001 Futura off of ebay. I was wondering where to take it to for service. I live in NYC (Brooklyn). Does anyone here have any experience with NYC Aprilia or any other shops in the area.

Thanks
Joe Altamura

jaltamura@gmail.combuy a service manual and do the work yourself....the bike shouldn't be under warranty anymore.

SAVE some coin, DIY!

olie
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
While it is obviously not practical to have AF1 perform service work (NY to TX) there is no question in my mind where my parts will be purchased from now on and that is AF1.

They are officially THE SHIT!

These guys spent hours tinkering and setting up peoples bikes, letting us use their lift, tools and knowledge. Tell me another shop (not just Aprilia) that would allow you to use there shop, tools and have them walk you through whatever maintenance you were performing. Gave us free reign in there shop fed us and all the drink we needed.

All of my Aprilia parts will be purchased from AF1......period.

:cheers:
:plus: :plus: :plus:

VikNWill
05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
DIY for the "normal stuff"....

Change the oil every 3-4thousand miles, let the local guy slap some tires on yer rims after you do the removal, fix the fettuccini adaper and the fuel connector and yer set!

If you need other work done (or wrenches ain't your thing)

Rollin' Fast (http://www.rollinfast.com)in Lebanon NJ is good.

Martin's EuroSport (http://www.martineurosports.com/)(see previous glowing comments about Bill Himmelsbach, formerly of blackman's Cycle) is good too, but about 2x as far from NYC as Rollin' Fast.

Ride safe....have fun.

Will

redman412
05-26-2006, 09:49 AM
One of my friends who is the general manager at a Suzuki dealership in LI, told me a while ago that the Aprilia store owner was in heavy debt by having 3 stores. The guy was very nice but try to flash his bling too much. He used to own a hummer and parked in front of the store. Last time I was there I got into a fight with the parts guy while trying to get a warranty order done.

On the same day, a guy with a Guzzi lemans had a problem closing his passenger seat. No mechanic came to help him and the parts guy try to avoid him. And this guy paid $13k for this bike at this dealer.

The best dealers are the mom and pop shops. You get a one to one service.
Rollinfast is great!!! Took my bike there several times and they always answered all my questions. Pricewise no dealer is cheap, but got to think that they have to make money to survive. Selling bikes don't pay the rent.

Don't go to Goldcoast, I took my Ducati there and did a mediocre job on the maintenance.

AF1 is great with parts and prices are competitive in the aftermarket parts.

I remember CarlosT tried to buy a Falco from Extreme thru Ebay and warned him to ask them if they were any other charges. They said yes.
Carlos turn around and found a better deal elsewhere that save him money for beer and chicken wings:burnout:

duke777
06-01-2006, 12:04 AM
No one mentioned that these Soho guys also have Soho Labor prices - $130 per hour. When they opened they were $90 and then quickly jumped to $130. When my friend was quoted 130 (I went to Aprilia NYC once and then never again) for his Ducati I said "what are you kidding me?" and the repsonse was "we gotta pay rent." Fair enough response, but coincidentally I have to pay rent too. Maybe if they were not losing so many customers they make their money through volume and not extortionist prices. RollinFast is the only place I go. They never gave me a reason to look elsewhere. But with everything on the bike i can do myself i get the parts from AF1-flawless.

hank
06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
No one mentioned that these Soho guys also have Soho Labor prices - $130 per hour. When they opened they were $90 and then quickly jumped to $130. When my friend was quoted 130 (I went to Aprilia NYC once and then never again) for his Ducati I said "what are you kidding me?" and the repsonse was "we gotta pay rent."

As far as the overall look, Aprilia NYC is more of an upscale boutique than a motorcycle shop... nice to look at, but is that level of glitz really worth the customers’ paying for? Not to mention the NY attitude…

Personally, I care about outstanding service from techs whom I trust implicitly. I can do a lot of the work myself and as mentioned above – AF1 meets all of those needs perfectly. :banana:

scootnmoot
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
you would think Aprilia the manufacturer would take more interest in their so-called "approved vendors"

hank
05-11-2011, 04:40 PM
you would think Aprilia the manufacturer would take more interest in their so-called "approved vendors"

You do realize that this thread is 5 years old?

blueorleans
05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
I have had nothing but good experiences with Vespa Brooklyn. Superior to my former Aprilia dealer in New Jersey. Nice to deal with, prompt turnaround for service and repairs, helpful with info., fair pricing. No complaints.

JPP
05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
:plus:

After PM's and emails with Marco(Miticale) from vespa bklyn I met him by chance at the top of Perkins drive at Bear Mountain. In a sea of cbr's and gsxr's I spy'd a lone Aprilia. I figured it was a good chance it was he or someone on the forum. I was right. They have been very helpful and will be performing some upgrades when they arrive.

Miticale
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
We've been working hard at trying to become a solid NE service department & dealer- of course with the caliber of customers we have, we know it'll be very easy to accomplish.