PDA

View Full Version : Oh ffs!

samRS
04-27-2006, 12:48 PM
im on my way home from college and realise im low on fuel, having ran out on the way in and switched to reserve, so i pulled into the station and filled up, everything was normal, then when i pulled away everything seemed fine, few miles down the road it started doing the thing again where its fine up to 4th gear then when i change to 5th theres no power, so i pull over, let the bike have a rest, set off and it still does it so i stay in 4th gear and start to make my way home, few miles later the bike suddenly cuts out and the back wheel starts to lock up so i pull the clutch in a coast to the side, i then see my temperature gauge is buried in the red!!!!!! :bond: so im sat at the side of the road thinking the worst that its seized, so i just sat there for ten mins and the temp guage when down, so i bumped it and it started fine, so i thought id risk it and ride it home staying in 4th just incase, hand hovering over the clutch, but the temp guage went back to teh normal position as if nothing happened

was this a heat seizure and is my bike now fucked? :bond:i need to use it to get to college tomorrow so i cant look today, if its not ok in the morning ill just ride in like a granny like i did on the way home getting over took by everything, was still faster than my mates ped though :p: in 4th gear

Peasnall
04-27-2006, 12:50 PM
sounds like it may have had a light seize, personally i wouldnt ride it as you may cause more damage, just wip the barrel off and have a peek.

Peasnall
04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
or atleast check compression.

samRS
04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
but i cant take the barrel off because i need it for tomorrow, if its seized anyway i cant really do anymore damage cos it will be useless anyway

im starting to hate this bloody bike

havent got a compression tester, but its normal in the lower gears

Peasnall
04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
but i cant take the barrel off because i need it for tomorrow, if its seized anyway i cant really do anymore damage cos it will be useless anyway

im starting to hate this bloody bike

if you try and ride a half seized bike, it may cause damage to bearings and such, its upto you weather you take the risk or not.

RS_Patrick
04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Sounds like it seized up, maybe there was some dirt in the res. position on the tap and it blocked off the mainjet a little so it ran to lean.
Anyway weird storry unless you reved the tits off in 4th gear to see if you could shift to 5th and it would pull than.
First thing i was thinking because the los of power after refueling was the fuel was poluted with water or something else.

samRS
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Sounds like it seized up, maybe there was some dirt in the res. position on the tap and it blocked off the mainjet a little so it ran to lean.
Anyway weird storry unless you reved the tits off in 4th gear to see if you could shift to 5th and it would pull than.
First thing i was thinking because the los of power after refueling was the fuel was poluted with water or something else.

i was thinking it might be shit petrol, i paid 96p a litre for that stuff! But i was running on the normal tap postion sand it started loosing power so i switched it to reserve to see if it got better but it didnt

Ill see what its like in the morning and if it still plays up im going to take it to the dealers saturday and make them fix it!

RS_Patrick
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
How much fuel did you put in? are you sure before refueling that it ran out of fuel and not seized up?

samRS
04-27-2006, 01:13 PM
How much fuel did you put in? are you sure before refueling that it ran out of fuel and not seized up?

there was still petrol in the tank, a fair bit, but i filled it right to the top of the tank with the stuff i got from this station

Davido
04-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Same thing happened to me Sam, I let it cool down and it seems to work okay now. I've been riding it for nearly a month and nothing has fucked yet so you might be safe.

samRS
04-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Same thing happened to me Sam, I let it cool down and it seems to work okay now. I've been riding it for nearly a month and nothing has fucked yet so you might be safe.

that sounds good news to me

DrDeath
04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
that sounds good news to me

Happened to me yesterday on my RS 125 when i was messing around in the garden, went up to 100 o locked up for a few secs then cooled down for a bit and was fine :WTF:

zEr0
04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Take it back to the dealer and get your warranty's worth (if you've still got it) thats what I did lol. Managed to get de-rez, rear shock and new speedo clock out of the warranty - handy :)

Davido
04-27-2006, 04:03 PM
If they take the engine apart though (not saying they will, but they might) and see that its derestricted, they won't do shit to it on the warranty. I think having an arrow also voids the warranty but I may be wrong on that point.

samRS
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
If they take the engine apart though (not saying they will, but they might) and see that its derestricted, they won't do shit to it on the warranty. I think having an arrow also voids the warranty but I may be wrong on that point.

It was derestricted by them before i got it, but my arrows might void it, but they havent seen that yet so sush! lol

williamr
04-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Sounds like a heat seize. I'd just ride it and keep a careful eye on the temperature. If it starts getting too hot, give it 10 minutes to cool before you carry on, and you'll have to strip it. If it stays Ok, I'd carry on using it 'til you do without it for a few days, then strip it.

Rob

RS_Patrick
04-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I would not drive on with it even if its ok now, seriously you should check it unless you want to risk that debris gets into the crankschaft bearings or risk a piston ring snapping, probably now you can still run a hone trough the barrel and replace the piston rings and drive on for many more happy miles, if you keep on driving you can be sure that just a hone wont fix it, its an Aluminium Nicaseal cilinder thats on there stock, once its got a rough spot in it it will start chiping/eating away there.

Davido
04-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Out of interest then, how do you go about taking the piston off?

Cheers. :cheers:

samRS
04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
whoopsy :happy:

i erm acciadently seized it again today and it did it properly this time lol did the same thing as yesterday except the temp guage stayed normal? :WTF: made clunky noise as i grinded to a halt, and it would bump start again so i got stranded in the middle of nowhere halfway to college, couildnt have happened in a worse place really

its at the dealers now but i dont know when its going to be fixed

Peasnall
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM

i erm acciadently seized it again today and it did it properly this time lol did the same thing as yesterday except the temp guage stayed normal? :WTF: made clunky noise as i grinded to a halt, and it would bump start again so i got stranded in the middle of nowhere halfway to college, couildnt have happened in a worse place really

what did i say, do not ride it, lol will it get fixed for free by the dealers

samRS
04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Id rather take the risk than sit at home bored missing out on my cllege practical lesson, havent got long til im 17 anyway so i dont really care tbh. If they are gonna charge then i just wont fix it, it can sit in my garage and collect dust

dont know how i gonna get to college though, i aint using public transport! :happy:

Bike Bros.
04-28-2006, 02:12 PM
You'll be ok getting to college, infact that's what school is really all about, it helps you at figuring out these situation...Right! Knowledge is power, power corrupts so study hard and be EVIL, Steal your Moms car for school, you'll be a real genius some day. Schools so much fun. Cheers

samRS
04-28-2006, 02:15 PM
You'll be ok getting to college, infact that's what school is really all about, it helps you at figuring out these situation...Right! Knowledge is power, power corrupts so study hard and be EVIL, Steal your Moms car for school, you'll be a real genius some day. Schools so much fun. Cheers

i was 4 hours late to college today lol, but i think if i nicked my mums car i would write it off lol and if i didnt kill myself that way my mum sure would :happy:

rsaprilia01
04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
sam if u do sell it il buy it. i only live 20 miles away. btw if your talking about dave barkshires they charge 32.50 an hour labour

samRS
04-28-2006, 03:26 PM
trust me you dont want my bike, i recon its no even worth 500 in its current state :bond: its a real shit heap :(

Davido
04-29-2006, 04:32 AM
Well just to rub a bit of salt in the wound, MINE STILL WORKS. Happy dances all around. :D

But it only does 55mph now so a siezing is probably well on the way. :)

RS_Patrick
04-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Told you that whould happen...

I would not drive on with it even if its ok now, seriously you should check it unless you want to risk that debris gets into the crankschaft bearings or risk a piston ring snapping, probably now you can still run a hone trough the barrel and replace the piston rings and drive on for many more happy miles, if you keep on driving you can be sure that just a hone wont fix it, its an Aluminium Nicaseal cilinder thats on there stock, once its got a rough spot in it it will start chiping/eating away there.
I'm just curious here, Wen you fitted that Arrow exhaust did you ever upjet the carb mate?

samRS
04-29-2006, 10:39 AM
no i didnt upjet becasue apparently the jet thats in there is too high anyway, a 95 (put in by the dealers when it was derestricted) the arrow exhaust has been on the bike for 6500km running absolutely fine

1wheelinallthew
04-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Well just to rub a bit of salt in the wound, MINE STILL WORKS. Happy dances all around. :D

But it only does 55mph now so a siezing is probably well on the way. :)
urs only did 55 anyway

Davido
05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
have a laugh Niel. It was topping out at over 60 (indicated). I got it to do 70 (indicated downhill) and have never been able to reach 60 on the clock since it heat siezed.

1wheelinallthew
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM
have a laugh Niel. It was topping out at over 60 (indicated). I got it to do 70 (indicated downhill) and have never been able to reach 60 on the clock since it heat siezed.
ok dave maybe all that heat from the heat seize made ur clocks work right then....:rolleyes: