PDA

View Full Version : ** Ride Routes for Sat and Sun - 2006 North American Ride **

mgtx73
04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Hello guys and gals. My name is Mike (MGTX73) and I've been speaking to Ed about helping organize ride routes for Saturday and Sunday. I live in the Austin area (AF1's old home) and I've ridden most of the roads in the area multiple times over on the Futura. It's the perfect bike for the area. Mille's and Falco's work too. :)

There are some nice roads to ride west of New Braunfels and they are well worth riding so don't miss out. There are elevation changes, twisties, you name it. It's also a pretty ride this time of year.....that is if you are going slow enough to see anything. :p

I know Friday evening is scheduled for BBQ and beer and Saturday or Sunday late afternoon there will be a tubing excursion. Sunday and Monday will be the days people start heading out. Riding Saturday may mean a hangovers for a few :p and Sunday some of you may want to rest for the ride back or where ever you are headed next. It's up to you how you want to spend your time down here.

I have ideas for ride routes that I will be posting later. All include riding the Texas Hill Country. Heat will be a factor, it's just a question of how hot it will be. This may determine the length of our rides.

I would suggest a nice long ride for Saturday (early morning start) and that will get you tuckered out for the tubing excursion in the late afternoon (If it happens on Saturday which I suspect it will......bring sunscreen). Sunday can be a shorter ride, maybe to a place for a nice breakfast and then ride back.

The ride will be split up into multiple groups. Some people like to lean and some people like to smell the flowers. Fast a slow groups can be sorted out the day of the ride. We can discuss ride etiquette and Po-Po later on.

Any of you in the Austin or San Antonio area that are experienced with group riding and Hill Country roads, PM me if you want to lead any groups. Any of you not familiar with the roads but still want to lead can still PM me and we can have you lead a group if you are experienced with group rides.

Don't worry about the amount of riders. There are ways to keep everyone riding together. We can discuss this later as well. The #1 thing is that we all enjoy the rides and we all come back safe and sound.

Let me know your thoughts. I'll start putting a map together of the ride route suggestions.

Bigtime
04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Mike, Thanks in advance for helping out with the rides. A Sunday breakfast run, back in time to catch the GP race at AF1 sounds great. I've never been to the great state of Texas and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing and riding the hill country:cheers: . JohnB

bobdavis73
04-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Look like a blast Mike. I can't wait!

Bob

teachers
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Mike:

Here's the file we were talking about.

http://www.hallstead.org/af1/Austin_Shamrock.pdf

It is 671kb, so I can't upload it to the forum.

-Duane

mgtx73
04-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Teacher,
Those maps from RoadRunner mag are nice. Some of those roads are nice to take but some are boring flat highways. Some are also far out of our way since our starting and ending point is going to be New Braunfels. We'll be taking mostly backroads which have less traffic and are more scenic.

Since we are down near New Braunfels, going up to Austin wouldn't be too bad but it would be out of the way unless we just pass through it. There are some roads around Austin that are worth taking.

There are some better roads west of New Braunfels that I'm sure everyone will enjoy. It may be flat getting to New Braunfels but don't let that fool you. West of New Braunfels is quite a change.

I'll put together some larger maps that cover the area so you can get a good idea of where we want to go. The total mileage for Saturday would be around 200-300 miles, or shorter depending on heat factor. 300 would be pushing it but the roads are well worth it. Sunday will be a shorter ride to breakfast. I'll take a vote later to see what people want.

I'll be working on this to post this weekend.

teachers
04-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Mike:

No problem.

It was just what I found in this month's RR and thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks for looking up some good roads for us!

-Duane

buck000
04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Here (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77150) is another thread that I started on the same subject, maybe some admin-type can merge these threads. I was going to update that thread Real Soon Now. Some folks might wanna just ride nonstop, except for gas, and cover most of the Good Roads in the area, but being slower and more snack-oriented, I thought it might be fun to set nominal destinations (Mac & Ernies in Tarpley, Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool, Love Creek Orchards in Medina, Frio Canyon Motorcycle Shop in Leakey, etc.).

My 0.02, fwiw...

mgtx73
04-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey there Paul,
Can you post that same picture but add 46 from New Braunfels to Boerne and then 16 to Bandera? That was what I'm thinking of to get to the Hill Country. Other options are to head up I-10 from Boerne to Kerville and then start our way down 16 to the good stuff. Only reason I want to do that is to take 16 from Kerville since it's pretty nice and twisty.

buck000
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Mike,

I'll give it a shot. I stole that route map from somewhere, so maybe I'll just redo it using some tool.

Camell0
04-28-2006, 08:48 AM
I was just thinking about this very thing this morning, ride routes.

I know riding the 33* FM roads can take a full day if basing out of SA. From NB, it cant be much different. If anyone is planning on riding these roads AND doing the toobing thing, you had better get an early start, kicks stands up by 8am for sure.

I know that can be hard after a night of drinking, but c'mon ... these really are some of the best roads in TX. That said, I'm in. I'd like to join a fast group that can cover 3-400 miles in a day. Anyone? :burnout:

mgtx73
04-28-2006, 08:59 AM
I was just thinking about this very thing this morning, ride routes.

I know riding the 33* FM roads can take a full day if basing out of SA. From NB, it cant be much different. If anyone is planning on riding these roads AND doing the toobing thing, you had better get an early start, kicks stands up by 8am for sure.

I know that can be hard after a night of drinking, but c'mon ... these really are some of the best roads in TX. That said, I'm in. I'd like to join a fast group that can cover 3-400 miles in a day. Anyone? :burnout:

Correct, this will be an early start ride. The fast group will cover more ground and probably get out to 55. The slow group can probably still make it to Leakey for lunch. If this slow groups wants to stop at all the stops that Paul points out, they may be out all day.

I'm wanting to be in the medium to fast group but I'll make my decision closer to that time. My main goal is to make sure everyone that wants to ride good roads gets to ride them and returns without incident (tickets, accidents, etc). I'd like to get to Leakey for sure and then maybe take 1050 and 470 back to Bandera. All really great roads.

Like always though, there is flexibility to modify the ride route along the way as long as you have someone who knows the roads.

Camell0
04-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Hey there Paul,
Can you post that same picture but add 46 from New Braunfels to Boerne and then 16 to Bandera? That was what I'm thinking of to get to the Hill Country. Other options are to head up I-10 from Boerne to Kerville and then start our way down 16 to the good stuff. Only reason I want to do that is to take 16 from Kerville since it's pretty nice and twisty.

i did some quick calcs and from NB to Boerne =~50, add 35 more for a blast up I-10 to Kerrville, thats ~85, call it ~165 round trip from Kerrville to NB.

now add 16 to Medina (all the way to Bandera isn't really necessary), 33*, and the hwy 55 playground, and you've got at least 200.

total round trip = at least 365 miles.

mgtx73
04-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I was also thinking from Boerne to Bandera and then to 337. We could do up to Kerville to take 16 down but I would take a different route back such as 470 back to Bandera and then back through Boerne and then finish at NB. Whatcha think?

We'll have to take polls and have routes for people to get back in case they don't want to ride that far. It's worth the trip though like you said. I've done a 480mile day from Austin out to 55 and then the 100mile loop so I know what to expect. It just depends on how hot it is. I'm bringing a camel back with ice to keep me cool. It' works well and fights against fatigue on hot days like nothing else I've tried.

Also, I wonder how many people, if any, are riding 2 up? Hmmm......

Camell0
04-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I think 16 is a must, but thats just me. And :plus: on the camelback ... bring 'em if u got 'em.

The route you suggested of taking FM1050 and Ranch 470 back to Bandera works well, and makes sense.

Here's what it turns out to be:

NB to Boerne = 50
Boerne to Kerrville = 35
Kerrville to Medina = 20
Medina to Leakey = 30
Leakey to Hwy 41 via FM 336 = 22
Hwy 41 to FM335 = 12
Down FM335 to Barksdale = 25
Add whatever miles for Hwy 55 playground = ??
Campwood to Leakey 20
Leakey to FM1050 = 10
FM1050 to Utopia = 15
Utopia to Bandera via Ranch 470 = 33
Bandera to Boerne via Hwy46 = 23
Boerne to NB = 50
----------------------------
Total Miles = ~345

Think we can make it back by 3pm? :eek: I really wanna go toobing!

mgtx73
04-28-2006, 10:46 AM
That route is well worth taking and it would be less than 400miles adding in hwy55. We can make it back by 3:00pm for tubing if we cut out the 100mile loop and 55. Going to Campwood and 55 and back means coming back about 5-6pm. Remember, we have to factor in the poddy breaks and slow groups. This ride is well worth taking for those who want to do the whole thing. It's a great part of Texas that not many people get to see.

buck000
04-28-2006, 01:40 PM
It's a great part of Texas that not many people get to see.

For those coming into the state, here are some samples of what Mike's talking about:

FM 335: vid (http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/FM335Hi.wmv)

FM 336: vid (http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/FM336Hi.wmv)
http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/FM336.jpg

FM 337: vid (http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/337VanLeaHi.wmv). I've heard that this road has been resurfaced. Texas chip seal kind of sux, does anyone have a recent report on this road?
http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/337VanLea.jpg

SR 55: vid (http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/SR55Hi.wmv)

:cheers:

Camell0
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
is that 55 vid in slow motion?? :kidding:

I was there last Oct and yes 337 was being resurfaced, starting on the Camp Wood side. Cant say how much progress they've made towards Leakey.

Earthpilot
04-28-2006, 02:24 PM
FM337 is still being resurfaced between Camp Wood and Leakey - just past the twisties East of Camp Wood -about 3-4 miles of smooth dirt, no problem unless it recently rained - I was out there two weeks ago - also there is a FM355 listed on the route which should read FM335 - doing a loop from 16 - 337 to Camp Wood, 55 to Rocksprings, 41 to 335, 337 to 336, then back over to 187/museum area would be good, I really doubt you can make it back by 3pm for tubing unless you start REAL
early - but I would rather ride twisties than tube anyway...

Camell0
04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
thanks for catching that .. ive corrected.

i have no idea if toobing starts at 3 or not .. i just threw that out there.

mgtx73
04-28-2006, 02:50 PM
After watching these videos I think I may check out these routes this Sunday. It will be a long day. I'll send back a report.

bozack
04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Mike,

I might be alble to help out on these rodes but it mostly depends if my wife wants to ride. If I end up going 2 up I won't want to lead anything but could certainly sweep one of these groups.

Mike

mgtx73
04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Mike,

I might be alble to help out on these rodes but it mostly depends if my wife wants to ride. If I end up going 2 up I won't want to lead anything but could certainly sweep one of these groups.

Mike

Your wife is coming? My wife wants to come but that's a long ride to be squattin on the back of a Futura. I know it's a comfortable seat for the rider but the passenger....hmmm.....

Anyway, it's a long ride and she's not in riding shape. It will have to be a game day decision.

Any help is appreciated. The ride should be nice. I'll try and post up maps this weekend.

bozack
04-28-2006, 03:31 PM
On the back of a Futura, hell my wife wants to do it on a Mille.
Mostly because when we got my bike she got pregnant shortly after and I have to listen all the time to "We own this bike and I have never been on the back of it". The only reason I didn't get the R was for the 2 up so there ya go....

mgtx73
04-28-2006, 03:47 PM
On the back of a Futura, hell my wife wants to do it on a Mille.
Mostly because when we got my bike she got pregnant shortly after and I have to listen all the time to "We own this bike and I have never been on the back of it". The only reason I didn't get the R was for the 2 up so there ya go....

Well, you both better start riding. I myself am having to get into riding shape to do these rides. Haven't ridden much lately due to work but I'm back on track now. Hopefully my wife can come to if she thinks she can make it. If not, then I'll be riding solo.

buck000
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
is that 55 vid in slow motion??

Sadly, no. I was just keeping around the speed limit, and enjoying my dog-slow self...:o

buck000
05-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I think 16 is a must, but thats just me. And :plus: on the camelback ... bring 'em if u got 'em.

The route you suggested of taking FM1050 and Ranch 470 back to Bandera works well, and makes sense.

Here's what it turns out to be:

NB to Boerne = 50
Boerne to Kerrville = 35
Kerrville to Medina = 20
Medina to Leakey = 30
Leakey to Hwy 41 via FM 336 = 22
Hwy 41 to FM335 = 12
Down FM335 to Barksdale = 25
Add whatever miles for Hwy 55 playground = ??
Campwood to Leakey 20
Leakey to FM1050 = 10
FM1050 to Utopia = 15
Utopia to Bandera via Ranch 470 = 33
Bandera to Boerne via Hwy46 = 23
Boerne to NB = 50
----------------------------
Total Miles = ~345

Mike (mgtx73) sent me this map which is the route described above. Click here (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/67719943-O.jpg) for a larger version.

http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/67719943-M.jpg

Edit: This post (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=980851&postcount=75) shows the finalized map, based on this route (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=980695&postcount=71).

The mileage is close to 400 if you include the run up 55 to Rocksprings and back to Camp Wood. The first 15 miles (south to north) are the most fun, so you could turn around and save 20 miles.

I'll be working on some turn-by-turn pages, along with suggested gas stops, and points of interest.

mgtx73
05-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for posting that Paul.

This map is for riding as many roads as possible with stops for gas and definitely some lunch. The yellow lines are the paths we are most likely going to take. Blue are optional paths. The blue paths farthest to the left of the map are about 100 miles total. We can nix this piece but it all depends on how we feel that day and how things are going timewise.

You'll also notice the there is a lot of shading on the map. These are the hills in the Texas Hill Country. You can see we'll be traveling through the peaks and valleys of this area. These roads are the best of the best for Texas. Let's hope they aren't freshly paved. :( :bs: If so, it should only be sections of road and not the whole area. We'll see.

Paul may be coming up with some alternate paths for other groups that want to do more stops. That will mean less road time unless you ride back late. I would not recommend riding past 6:00pm. Too many deer. :eek:

Couple of things to keep in the back of your mind for riding in Texas. I'll go over these before the ride as well on Saturday.

- I suggest a Camelbak waterpack. You can drink while you ride. It really does help with fatigue.
- If it rains we ride anyway so bring your rain gear, unless of course your gear is water resistant (you Aerostich riders).
- Deer! Don't ride at night in rural areas if you can help it. It's a high risk with the amount of deer in Texas.
- Buzzards! If you see road kill and Buzzards are feeding, slow down. Those ugly bastards fly slow and low and are somehow related to deer in that they are attracted to motorcycles and automobiles. Do not underestimate them. They can knock you off your bike at speed.
- Rain! In the event we receive lots of rain before the ride, keep an eye out for low water crossings.
- Po-Po! There are police running around in the outlying areas. We will be riding safe. If you speed, there is a chance for getting a ticket so be careful.
- Various Varmits! There are squirrels, armadillos, coyotes, opossums, snakes, turtles, etc. in Texas. They may be crossing the road. Keep an eye out. If they are already dead (road kill), avoid it. Slimey dead skin can be slippery.

That's all I can think of for now. We have a lot of ground to cover so I think we'll have to leave no later than 8:00am on Saturday so get your beauty rest on Friday night as best you can.

I'm working on different options for a Sunday ride. I'll post later.

dugkim
05-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Buck000, mgtx73

Thank you guys for all your ongoing work on the routes. I am sure that I speak for everyone in saying that and the routes look awesome already.

As for the Camelback, how do you drink while riding? Are you able to fit the hose up under the chin bar to get a drink on the move? I guess I'll have to try this and see...

Any other riding suggestions for the texas heat?

Davenet
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM

Looks like tubing has been pushed out to Sunday morning :( , which is good for your ride, but shitty if your in the heat all day Saturday without a ride.:mad:

mgtx73
05-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Buck000, mgtx73

As for the Camelback, how do you drink while riding? Are you able to fit the hose up under the chin bar to get a drink on the move? I guess I'll have to try this and see...

I have an Aerostich. I just tuck the hose through my left chest pocket (it's not a pocket but more like a place to slide your gloves through when you aren't riding. Aerostich owners will know what I'm talking about). When I need a drink, I just use my left hand to pull it out and take a sip and put it back so it doesn't fly around. Some come with clips to to fasten them to your jacket. I usually freeze mine solid the night before. Adding ice works too. It melts througout the day to stay cold. The larger the better. I have one that's 100oz. It will run out before the end of the day but I can just re-fill it with water and ice at lunch or something.

I know ventilation helps but also keep in mind wind can dehydrate your skin over time just like the heat does so you still have to hydrate no matter what. I know I talk a lot about hydrating but you don't want to come back after a ride like that and feel like crap because you are dehydrated.

This will be a lengthy ride but very enjoyable. There are some flat sections of road but there will also be a lot of twisties so being in riding shape is a good idea. It can be mentally and physically tiring riding at a healthy pace for 300+ miles with plenty of twisties. Some sections makes for good video for those of you with video cameras.

And this is just Saturday's ride. Sunday's will be interesting too.

mgtx73
05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Looks like tubing has been pushed out to Sunday morning :( , which is good for your ride, but shitty if your in the heat all day Saturday without a ride.:mad:

No ride? Are you not riding?

I think we may be able to make it back if we don't do the last section past Leakey. It just depends on how everyone feels that day. Going tubing at 4-5pm is still do-able. It will still be hot enough to get in the chili Guadalupe river. Trust me, it's cold but it's great on a hot day.

For those not interested in tubing, we can ride all sections.

Camell0
05-04-2006, 11:51 AM

a wet doo-rag tied round your neck. at speed, it really does help cool you down as it evaporates.

Camell0
05-04-2006, 11:55 AM

I think we may be able to make it back if we don't do the last section past Leakey. It just depends on how everyone feels that day. Going tubing at 4-5pm is still do-able. It will still be hot enough to get in the chili Guadalupe river. Trust me, it's cold but it's great on a hot day.

For those not interested in tubing, we can ride all sections.

That last 100-mile loop is the very reason to ride out there in the first place, IMO. Count me out for toobing if it means sacrificing that last section.

mgtx73
05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
That last 100-mile loop is the very reason to ride out there in the first place, IMO. Count me out for toobing if it means sacrificing that last section.

A wet rag or wetting down your shirt is a good idea that I use too and I forgot to mention.

The 100 mile loop is good but that jaunt through 41 is boring although it gets you to the other areas. I put it as optional for some people since going through 16, 337, and 470 get you a ride through great roads without doing the 100 mile loop. The other option to get the best of it is to continue on through to Campwood on 337 and then up through 55 and back down to Campwood.

Just a note, I only plan on going up 55 until the curves end. There is an Oak tree at the end on the right that we can stop and take a break and then head on back. No use going all the way to Rock Springs unless someone knows of something up there that I don't.

I'm willing to lead a group that wants to go all the way including the 100 mile loop since I'm not tubing. I'll be driving back to Austin for the evening and then show back up on Sunday.

As far as tubing though, there is always Sunday. We can go for a breakfast run somewhere and make it back by 1:00pm or so. Then tubing can be done in the prime heat of the day. I don't expect everyone wants to make Sunday another 400 mile day. We can play that by ear though.

Camell0
05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
oh, come on, Mike! That jaunt on 41 is only 'bout what? 5-6 minutes? ;) :burnout:

and i hear ya about 55 ... up to the curves and back, repeat ...

buck000
05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
These roads are the best of the best for Texas. Let's hope they aren't freshly paved. :( :bs: If so, it should only be sections of road and not the whole area. We'll see.

Here's a recent report on 337 (from here (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429&page=3)):

337 is being resurfaced for ~5 miles between Leaky and Camp Wood. All work is on the flat side closer to Camp Wood. Other than a couple bridge-to-gravel transitions, it's packed down tight. The rest of 337 was in excellent shape two weekends ago.

337 is basically 3 'sections':

Medina to Vanderpool - Because I'm a slow novice rider, I almost like this the best. It's a very scenic run through a valley. I believe this is looking east into that valley:
http://howdyyall.com/Texas/images/hill_tex.jpg
Vanderpool to Leakey - I'm betting this is the good riders' favorite section, lots of slow twisties. Some nice blind corners...watch your apex. ;)
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/Broach1/Bikes/gravel.jpg
Leakey to Camp Wood - I haven't taken this too much, but the bit of road nearest to Camp Wood is pretty fun (the twisties were being repaved when I last took it, which wasn't particularly fun). The quote above applies to the section farther west.
http://sfriday.com/twtpics/HILL041203/FM337-01.jpg

:plus: on the CamelBak. I like to fill it with Gatorade, along with a bit of beef jerky in the top case. I just fumble with the clip, but I like Mike's Aerostich idea.

Oh, and note that you can stop at a couple of river crossings on 337, and join in with with folks lazing about in the water. :)

mgtx73
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
That's good news that only the flat section is getting repaved. I don't care about that too much. As long as the twisties are intact that's great news!

I bet some people are wondering, "are those hills in Texas?". :D

Davenet
05-04-2006, 02:52 PM

Nope. It just happened that I had to be in DFW for business next week. I just 'happened' to make a company 'extension' to have a departure on Sunday instead of Friday morning.

So, I'm doing the rental cage down to NB. Man, do you ever get screwed renting from one location & returning to another.:fangs:

bozack
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Have the times been set in stone yet/
We leaving the shop at 8 or so?

mgtx73
05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Have the times been set in stone yet/
We leaving the shop at 8 or so?

Here is the schedule I'm predicting for Saturday's ride.

- Be at AF1 by 7:30am on Saturday to get the chatting out of the way. :blah:
- Be ready to go by 7:45am CST for a ride briefing and group organization and any Q&A. All routes and stops will be determined beforehand.
- Kickstands up at 8:00am.
- We will stop for lunch in Leakey and gas. If there are any SuperHawks or other gas guzzler's, let your group know so you can fill up (most likely Kerville).
- After that it's finish out the rest of the ride and make our predetermined stops.

I predict lunch at about 11:00-11:30am. I'm hoping to get back by 4-5:00pm depending on what happens.

We will be able to stay together somewhat but since there will be a large number of people, each group will be responsible for getting to their pre-determined destinations. Fast and slow groups going the same routes will end up staying together. Those groups that want to make lots of stops will obviously not be waited on and may end up eating separately. No problem there, it just depends on what you want to do that day. We can talk about this more on Saturday morning. I'll be there about 7:00am.

budzrex
05-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Just a heads up to all riding in the Hill Country, we are having a lot of
rain in the area and that means low water crossings may have running
water in them, just be ready coming over hills, and rain always loosens
the soil and we get rocks and gravel that can wash into the road.

Camell0
05-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Just a heads up to all riding in the Hill Country, we are having a lot of
rain in the area and that means low water crossings may have running
water in them, just be ready coming over hills, and rain always loosens
the soil and we get rocks and gravel that can wash into the road.

thanks for that. i know in the dfw area we've seen some pretty strong storms as well. i suggest everyone make it a point to bring some raingear.

Camell0
05-06-2006, 10:30 PM

... and i've drawn out a .gdb of this, if anyone would like it:

http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/67719943-M.jpg

budzrex
05-07-2006, 07:21 AM
There is a couple of ways around that bit of I-10 that are more fun

Hatchman
05-07-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm hoping to get back by 4-5:00pm depending on what happens.

I appreciate all the work you guys are doing for the rides, looks great!

Just a request, can we work in a fast group/afternoon tubing route on Saturday? It would be nice to get a good spirited ride in the morning, and relax with some boobies and beer tubing late Saturday afternoon.

Camell0
05-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Just a request, can we work in a fast group/afternoon tubing route on Saturday? It would be nice to get a good spirited ride in the morning, and relax with some boobies and beer tubing late Saturday afternoon.

I'm with ya Hatch ... and I am considering cutting out the Hwy 16 from Kerrville route ... rethinking whether the blast up I-10 is really worth the time involved in getting there.

Cut out Hwy 16 from Kerrville and a fast group could very well finish that last 100-mile loop before lunch. just a thought.

mgtx73
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
First of all, if you don't know these roads, don't read our posts because it will only confuse you. :D

The goal I have is for the out-of-towners to get as many of the roads in as possible in a reasonable amount of time. I don't plan on taking I-10 all the way to Kerville but getting to 16 is my objective on that route. My revised plan is going from New Braunfels to Boerne (pronounced "burny" for you out-of-towners) via 1863 and Amhan (spelling?) road then heading up I-10 and exiting Cypress Creek right after Comfort to get to Kerville (twisty road). From Boerne it will only take 30 to 45minutes to get to Kerville so it should be a quick jaunt anyway.

16 from Kerville to Medina is a road I don't want to pass up and since I'm not tubing I am going to encourage others who aren't from Texas to take it. It's worth the ride and it takes us right down to 337 where we want to be. The other reason I want to take a different route out there is because we'll be coming back through Bandera to get to New Braunfels at the end of the day anyway.

We can definitely have a faster group (time wise) going out to Leaky directly through Bandera and then up to 337 to save time. It's all up to who wants to lead it and who wants to join you and get back early. Doing the 100 mile loop will delay you even more and you may get back in time for tubing but I'm not so sure. It depends on your pace.

Groups taking separate routes can try and make it together to Leakey for lunch but that may not work out timewise which is ok because it's tourist season in the Hill country and 60 bikes showing up in Leakey at the same time might mean a long lunch wait. :o

I'll definitely go over more of this on Saturday morning. I'll be modifying the map for this and I'll have post them tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll try and bring copies as well so if you have a chance, print your own before you leave.

p.s. I forgot if I mentioned this on this thread but my 1 year anniversary is on Friday the 12th so I won't be joining for BBQ and beer otherwise I would have like to have discussed this before the morning.

budzrex
05-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Mike, I will print and scan some sheets as well, there are some nice roads to
use from Boerne to Centerpoint and over to the best part of 16 without
hitting Kerrville, but all of my maps are Delorme and it uses SA9 files
that no-one else uses

mgtx73
05-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Mike, I will print and scan some sheets as well, there are some nice roads to
use from Boerne to Centerpoint and over to the best part of 16 without
hitting Kerrville, but all of my maps are Delorme and it uses SA9 files
that no-one else uses

I don't disagree but time is a factor and a short jaunt up to Cypress Creek won't be too long. We have plenty of other roads to take throughout the day. In Kerville we'll be taking the loop around to avoid traffic. It's the way I know to go but if the route you speak of isn't too difficult without losing people then I'll take a look. PM me and send me a maps so I can see which route you are referring to from Boerne to Centerpoint.

Hatchman
05-07-2006, 09:59 PM
First of all, if you don't know these roads, don't read our posts because it will only confuse you.

:rolleyes:

zrx24
05-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I have NEVER been on a ride with budzrex where we didn't encounter rain. The guy is a rain magnet. ;)

Hey Camell0, could you lower the camera just a bit in your Avatar please? :D

budzrex
05-08-2006, 07:38 PM
It didnt rain last time, but then again we wernt out long either:happy:

mgtx73
05-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I have NEVER been on a ride with budzrex where we didn't encounter rain. The guy is a rain magnet. ;)

It didnt rain last time, but then again we wernt out long either:happy:

Hey! Hey! Hey you two!!!!......enough of that foolish speak! ;) :happy:

Camell0
05-09-2006, 07:22 AM
i looked at accuweather for the long range forecast for leakey and it is showing the weekend as partly sunny, hi's in mid 80s to mid 90s and lows in mid-60s to 70. no rain in the forecast, but that doesn't mean a shower or two wont pop up.

i dont think we're gonna have to worry too much about any of the low water crossings ... hope, hope.

OBRSV1000
05-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Sounds awesome guys. I can't wait.:bond:

buck000
05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey, guys,

I wanna help out with writing some turn-by-turns up for folks, but I'm not sure what route you are considering from Cypress Creek.

Also, it seems like exiting at Comfort, then getting on 27 over through Center Point to 2771 to 16 might be a reasonable way to get to the 'top' of the fun stuff on 16. In the past, I've gotten to 480, then 173 up to 2771, but you guys probably have better ways.

Anyway, I'll probably put together what I have, along with 'attractions', plus a ride out to Luckenbach, if anyone's interested. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but mgtx and bud probably have it covered much better than I could do it.

mgtx73
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm still working on a way to map this out. I had most of the major roads mapped but some of these smaller ones are not on maps so I'll have to write them out by hand. The main thing is that the ride leaders know where they are going. Once we get to 16 it's all memory for me.

budzrex
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Mike, Paul, I am converting some maps over to PDF format. Shoot me
an email and I will send them to you to check out.

buck000
05-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Here's what I was thinking in terms of turn by turn. I tried to make it so it's readable, but foldable for a tankbag map window.

The long ride file is basically the early version of the all-day run to the Fun Stuff.

The LuckLoop file is a 1/2 day trip to Luckenbach. The town ain't much, but is kind of a landmark, and it'd be cool to have a shot of 'prillers clustered around the post office there. A companion scan of some relevant map pages is here (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/68955963-O.jpg) (378 Kb file). Edit: Or you can use mgtx73's map that's in this post (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=980851&postcount=75).

Edit: This post (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=981573&postcount=80) has all the latest map images and ride route PDF files.

Comments/flames/suggestions welcome! :cheers:

Camell0
05-10-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm still working on a way to map this out. I had most of the major roads mapped but some of these smaller ones are not on maps so I'll have to write them out by hand. The main thing is that the ride leaders know where they are going. Once we get to 16 it's all memory for me.

i have delorme topo 5 and the garmin metroguide 6 that might have the roads ur looking for. shoot me some quick dirs and i can take a look and print out to a .pdf.

im looking forward to the cypress creek route, i haven't done that one before. but after getting on 16, like you say, its all pretty much from memory.

bozack
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Mike,

I was thinking about leaving my bike and trialer at AF1 friday night. Sounds like the rides are leaving before the crew is planning to arrive to open the doors, that correct?

mgtx73
05-10-2006, 11:22 AM
i have delorme topo 5 and the garmin metroguide 6 that might have the roads ur looking for. shoot me some quick dirs and i can take a look and print out to a .pdf.

im looking forward to the cypress creek route, i haven't done that one before. but after getting on 16, like you say, its all pretty much from memory.

The most difficult part for me to map is going from New Braunfels to 16. I have a way to get there but I think the general consensus is to take all the back roads we can.

I will be heading to AF1 today to pick up my bike. In doing so I will take a short ride on the back roads to see how they will work for the ride. The goal is to get us to 16 from New Braunfels with the least amount of boring roads while not sacrificing too much time and not losing people.

I'll post the roads later and everyone can give me their feedback and see how we can come up with a map for it.

Once we get on 16 the rest is easy and can be shown on 1 map from 16 all the way back to home base in New Braunfels.

Thanks for all your guys help on mapping this. Once someone maps this out I'll get copies made for everyone for Saturday morning.

mgtx73
05-10-2006, 11:27 AM
******REMINDERS AND STUFF******
If you plan on doing the ride, it will be enjoyable and worth making the trip to Texas but it will also be long. We are looking at a 400 mile day. To do this ride and be back at a reasonable time we need to be out of AF1 by 8:00am. So, remember this when you are having fun on Friday night. I will be there in spirit on Friday evening and show up on Saturday morning in person to help brief everyone and this is where we will divy up groups. I myself will be there at around 7:00-7:15am if anyone wants to join me but I doubt it. :D :tired:

Not everyone has to go the entire route but if you don't have a ride leader that knows the roads that you want to take, the map will be your best friend. Another item to note though is cell phone reception out there is questionable in the Hill Country so remember that as well.

We will go over everything on Saturday morning so be there no later than 7:45am at AF1 if you would like a briefing and be put in with a group to follow. If you show up later than 8:00am you may be on your own unless there is a non-morning person that wants to lead you non-morning people. :D

Mike,

I was thinking about leaving my bike and trialer at AF1 friday night. Sounds like the rides are leaving before the crew is planning to arrive to open the doors, that correct?

Yes that is correct. Everyone, please note this or else you'll be stuck waiting for the morning AF1 crew, which there isn't any. :D :tired: :p:

Camell0
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
The most difficult part for me to map is going from New Braunfels to 16. I have a way to get there but I think the general consensus is to take all the back roads we can.

I'll start work on the route from AF1 to Bourne via FM 1863 (off Hwy 46) and connecting to Ammann Rd.

But I'll need help on the Comfort-to-Cypress Creek Rd-to-Hwy 16 route. Mapping it isn't a prob, knowing which roads, is.

mgtx73
05-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I'll start work on the route from AF1 to Bourne via FM 1863 (off Hwy 46) and connecting to Ammann Rd.

But I'll need help on the Comfort-to-Cypress Creek Rd-to-Hwy 16 route. Mapping it isn't a prob, knowing which roads, is.

I'll get those details posted tomorrow once I take a look at the routes that were suggested to me.

Hatchman
05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
******REMINDERS AND STUFF******
... unless there is a non-morning person that wants to lead you non-morning people. :D

I'm up for that, how about a non-morning person to lead us on a "fast group ride to be back in time to go tubing so we can drink a little Friday night?" How 'bout, Camell0? Even a 9am roll out sounds better.

Beer, boobies, toobing, and riding, a bit of everything would be ideal.

Camell0
05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Beer, boobies, toobing, and riding, a bit of everything would be ideal.

sorry hatch ... the cost to do this is an early morning rise-n-shine. :tired: :burnout:

buck000
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
In addition to the routes posted back in this thread (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=978998&postcount=59), I've added the following one, which hits some decent roads and a couple of good restaurants. The intent here is if you wanna do a 2-3 hour jaunt on the day you didn't do the Long Ride, then these might be fun.

Here (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/68955963-O.jpg) is a 378 Kb file which is scan of a couple of pages showing Luckenbach, Wimberley, etc., to go along with the short ride turn-by-turns.

Edit: This post (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=980851&postcount=75) has a decent overall map for the various rides.

Edit: This post (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=981573&postcount=80) has all the latest map images and ride route PDF files.
fwiw...:blah:

Hatchman
05-11-2006, 06:26 AM
In addition to the routes posted back in this thread (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=978998&postcount=59), I've added the following one, which hits some decent roads and a couple of good restaurants. The intent here is if you wanna do a 2-3 hour jaunt on the day you didn't do the Long Ride, then these might be fun.

Here (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/68955963-O.jpg) is a 378 Kb file which is scan of a couple of pages showing Luckenbach, Wimberley, etc., to go along with the short ride turn-by-turns.

Nice job, Triple Ought Buck! I looked over the route on my MS Streets and Trips w/GPS program, looks good. I especially like the Cypress Creek Cafe.

http://www.cypresscreekcafe.com/

Sounds like they have good food and good coffee, I'll be stopping there for some cappuccino and Banana Nut Buttermilk pancakes. Mmmm, yummy.

budzrex
05-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Mike shoot me the final maps and I will print all we need at the office

mgtx73
05-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, I was in New Braunfels last night and decided to ride a few of the roads. It was hotter than a pistol in the Aerostich. Anyway, I've come up with a route that would probably work for most everyone. You guys be the judge and let me know. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep people from getting too spread out and/or left behind or lost.

I've gone through Paul's routes and those are all good rides to take as well. It's up to everyone to decide Saturday morning. It just means there are several options for Saturday. In fact, Paul's routes can be used for Sunday too (whether permitting).

This ride will be geared towards those who want to get as much of the Hill Country and twisty roads in as possible. There will most likely be medium and fast groups. I would go ahead and print this out for reference. I've also noted other things such as place for possible stops, lunch, cops, etc. I wish I could have posted this sooner for those who are on there way down here but I'll get this sent to AF1and have them print a few copies to put on a wall so people can read it on Friday night. Or, maybe they are watching this thread and can do that for me. :D

This is the full route with options. It may make more sense once the map is posted which will be done later. The options will be noted by yellow dots on the map.
Kickstands up by 8:00am
Leave New Braunfels on 46 West.
Left on 1863 (This is to avoid riding on 46).
At the 4 way stop go right on 3009.
Left on 46 again.
Veer to the right and exit onto 311.
Right on 281 for a short jaunt up to 473
Left on 473 and continue on through Kendalia.
Go right on 1376 for about a mile and then left again onto 473.
When we get into Comfort we have two options
OPTION1
Arriving on 473 into Comfort, take a right at the first stop light which is technically 87.
Go under I-10 and make a left to head North.
North on I-10 for about 2 miles and exit Cypress Creek.
Take a right on Cypress Creek.
Once you arrive at the stop sign at the end of the road this is the Kerville loop.
Take a left onto the loop.
Once this road dead ends to a 'T', take a left onto 173.
Take a right onto 2771.

OPTION2
As you come in on 473, go straight through Comfort which turns into 27.
Take a left in Center Point onto 480.
At the end of 480, Right onto 173.
Left at 2771.
Anyone wanting to stop for a break should stop in Kerville before hitting the rest of the roads. Gas guzzlers can gas up as well.

Now for the good stuff
16 Down to Medina.
Right onto 337.
At the end of the road take a right onto 187 and go about a mile. There is a gas station on the corner of 187 and 337. This is also a good place to take a quick break before hitting some nice twisties. It will be about 15min. from hear to lunch in Leakey.
Left (west) onto 337 again (Don't pass cars, they may be unmarked cops).
As soon as you start to descend from the hill, slow down. A notorious State Trooper waits for unsuspecting riders. He gives no warnings.
Once you get to Leakey at the bottom of the hill, take a left at the stop light, it's the only one in town. Up on your left is a gas station and restaurant where we can eat lunch. You will want to gas up too.

OPTIONS AGAIN
Here, people can either do what we call the 100 mile loop or start heading back home.

100 MILE LOOP
After lunch, go north on 83/336 (that's the road in front of the restaraunt). (corrected)
At the end of the road go left on 41 (flat road where some of you can open it up. Do it at your own risk).
Left onto 335 and head south.
Right onto 55 (2 lanes per side of twisty, grippy, asphault. At the top of the hill turn around at the lone Oak Tree on the right. You can also use this as an area to wait for everyone and take a short break before the ride back down.
Down 55 through Barksdale and into Campwood.
Left onto 337 and on to Leakey.

Continued from Leakey
Take a right (South) on 83 (corrected)
Left onto 1050.
Left onto 187, short ride north and take a right onto 470 (nice road).
At the end, onto 16 into Bandera (good place for a final break).
Left onto 46 and make your way home to New Braunfels.

The revised map of this route will be posted soon by Paul once I send it to him. If you would like this sooner, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.

vito
05-11-2006, 01:05 PM

i'm up for a shorter ride, since i will also ride down and back the same day, plus want to get home and vote before the polls close and the cows come home.

Earthpilot
05-11-2006, 01:22 PM
All routes look great and fun, nice loong rides for the day !
bwt: the last section should read right (South ) HWY 83 ,,not 336 South

Continued from Leakey
Take a right (South) on 83
Left onto 1050.

mgtx73
05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
All routes look great and fun, nice loong rides for the day !
bwt: the last section should read right (South ) HWY 83 ,,not 336 South

Continued from Leakey
Take a right (South) on 83
Left onto 1050.

Doh! I've edited the route.

buck000
05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Here you go:

(Big version (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/69033707-O.jpg) for actual viewing/printing ;))

http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/69033707-M.jpg

You could also use this map for the shorter jaunts too, by the way...

vito
05-11-2006, 02:49 PM
i can't decide whether to ride the tuono or just bring the car.
what do you guys think?

:kidding: :angel: :D

olie
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
i can't decide whether to ride the tuono or just bring the car.
what do you guys think?

:kidding: :angel: :D
....or get a CapoNord !!!! The right bike for that route!!!

vito
05-11-2006, 07:49 PM
when and where to show up for the ride(s) saturday morning, so i won't have to read through 77 posts to figure it out?:confused:

af1 at 8?

might not be able to make the friday bbq.:(

Camell0
05-11-2006, 08:26 PM
vito, mike (mgtx73) will be there at af1 around 7ish ... for an 8am departure. hope to see another tuono there!

buck000
05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I've made a turn-by-turn route based on Mike's latest directions, with some additions for additional stops if folks decide to take a bit of a rest. It's AF1GOLongRideFinal.pdf, below. Personally, I'm going for the Australian meat pie and really sweet old bikes (http://buck000.smugmug.com/gallery/1140206) at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum just north of Vanderpool.

I've also included the other route PDFs and map images here, so they're in one place.

I'll make about 20 copies of this package, and will have 'em at the Friday BBQ. If we run out, we'll make more copies, hopefully at AF1.

Look forward to seeing y'all.

Area map for short loops (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/68955963-O.jpg)
Area map for Mike's Long Ride (http://buck000.smugmug.com/photos/69033707-O.jpg)

Camell0
05-12-2006, 07:12 AM
thanks a bunch, Paul .. its very much appreciated.

budzrex
05-12-2006, 07:51 AM
I was going to suggest LSM for lunch but our whole group
will overwhelm them as they have just the one cook

buck000
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I was going to suggest LSM for lunch but our whole group
will overwhelm them as they have just the one cook

I'm kinda curious as to which restaurant Mike is thinking about in Leakey. I'm not familiar with much in that town other than the bike shop and the grocery store.

budzrex
05-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Just a quick heads up there is often comal sheriffs sitting
at 311 and 3159 as 3159 is a route up to the lake