PDA

View Full Version : A little guidance required...

Jimbo1000
04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Picked up my new '06 on Saturday and spent the day enjoying my new toy!
Overall, it's a clear improvement over my old '04, however, there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask anyone out there who has some first-hand experience with the '06:

1. Mine is a quite lurchy on a neutral throttle (particularly at low speeds). I suspect the dealer hasn't updated to the latest firmware. If he does, should I expect this lurching problem to reduce? When I spoke about it today, he seemed a little unclear about the whole software/firmware thing.

2. My bike is totally stock and the flatspot at around 3.5k - 4k is quite noticable, especially while I'm taking it easy during the breaking in. If, as I've read, this is a result of a lean mixture and Aprilia have tuned it this way to meet some emission regs, can it be 'tuned out' with a different map (even with stock exhausts)? I don't have any immediate plans to change the exhausts, just curious to know if the flat spot can be reduced.

Grateful for any feedback.
Thanks,
Jimbo.

chrisscaines
04-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Mine does the same thing. I'm going in for my 600 on Thursday and they will do they normal dance and update me to Map2 which is suppose to cure a lot of the fueling issues and set you up for when and if you add an exhaust upgrade. I have noticed the bike smoothing out now that I am up to 7500 (like a turbine), but below 4000 expect some uneven throttle response. I will let you know how the new map helps.

flux 1000
04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
:burnout: my 07 dose the same thing to... hold a even throttle around 4000 to 4500
rpm and it surges .. more throttle and its smooth as silk.... pulls like a train,
i though my 02 gsx-r 1000 pulled hard, this thing rips your arms off :burnout:
i had map 2 set from the start(dealer is 300 miles away), i did the air box mod and took out the restricter... exhaust is on the way...maybe an open exhaust will help clear things up.......:cheers:

amauri
04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
i though my 02 gsx-r 1000 pulled hard, this thing rips your arms off :burnout:

Get a 15-T counter sprocket and hold on

TUONOAPE
04-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Do yourself a favour and piss off the stardard cans. You just spent big bucks, spend a few more and get it running how it was designed to. So get a set of cans, then get map 2 put on (that will get rid of 95% of your fuelling issues at 4-4500rpm) do the front sproket as Amauri said, and it will rip your bloody arms off. (and it literally happened to me today as I was accelerating out of a mates garage on to the road, as I hit the road I twisted the throttle and it threw me so hard backward that I lost grip on my left hand causing the bike to swerve rather suddenly, while causing immense embarressment and an immediate need for a change of jocks :eek: - see I told u these bikes were only for the more experienced riders!)

Jimbo1000
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
There are no updates for the 06.

According to the latest Aprilia bulletins I've read, the 06 RSVR & Factory is being shipped with the latest version 266536 ECU software.
The 06 Factory I setup and delivered two weeks came with 266536.

Setting map-2 will make it run much better but could be a little rich with the stock cans.

There is a version 266538 ECU software but its only for use with the EVO-6 pipe (will not fit on a street bike).

....I'm confused (easily done I know).... because in an earlier post (11th April I think) you talked about the following changes for the 06 Tuono and as my bike has been sitting in the dealers since the beginning of January I figured it may need this upgrade. Have things moved on again since version 266532?

Quote:
Believe it or not, there is already a new ECU software and map update for the 06/07 Tuonos.

Your bike, like all the ones we got last week came with ECU ver 266531, the new update is 266532 and it makes a difference.

Stop by the shop and I'll update it for you, no charge.

Jimbo1000
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Mine does the same thing. I'm going in for my 600 on Thursday and they will do they normal dance and update me to Map2 which is suppose to cure a lot of the fueling issues and set you up for when and if you add an exhaust upgrade. I have noticed the bike smoothing out now that I am up to 7500 (like a turbine), but below 4000 expect some uneven throttle response. I will let you know how the new map helps.

Thanks, I'll be interested to see what they do and if it improves your fueling. Are you running stock exhausts?

chrisscaines
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
stocke right now... I may be have Leo Vince ti High-mounts put on this week as well.

amauri
04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
....I'm confused (easily done I know).... because in an earlier post (11th April I think) you talked about the following changes for the 06 Tuono and as my bike has been sitting in the dealers since the beginning of January I figured it may need this upgrade. Have things moved on again since version 266532?

Quote:
Believe it or not, there is already a new ECU software and map update for the 06/07 Tuonos.

Your bike, like all the ones we got last week came with ECU ver 266531, the new update is 266532 and it makes a difference.

Stop by the shop and I'll update it for you, no charge.
I screwed-up.
You are correct there is an update for the Tuono.

In my post above I was thinking of the 06 RSVR/Factory.
I got mixed up bouncing around between the two forums, sorry

I'll delete my post

hakan_olsson
05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I just noticed these 266*** versions (as opposed to the many 664*** for the RSV's ). Are they strictly Tuono programs?

amauri
05-03-2006, 08:12 PM
The 266*** maps are only for the new Tuonos, the AXONE will not let you load RSVR maps on the 06-Tuono ECU.

Even if you could load the RSVR map onto the 06-Tuono, you wouldn't want to.
The RSVR map would not work well on the Tuono.

The RSVR map takes into account the flapper valve, the 06-Tuono does not have that valve. The RSVR air intake duct is very different and longer than the Tuono.

And to further confuse everyone, the maps for the new 06-RSVR are different than the 04/05 RSVR.
The 06-RSVR has a different cylinder head with bigger Ex valves and different pistons, therefore different maps.

Good thing the AXONE checks map compatibility with the bike you've connected before uploading it.

I imagine there will be many Techs out there scratching their heads and cursing Aprilia unless they get with the program and start reading the bulletins on a regular basis.