PDA

View Full Version : drilling holes?

jon_RS50
04-22-2006, 06:11 PM
ok, this has been asked alot and ive done a search and no1 has told the answer as such yet. So where exactly so you drill the holes in the standard air box to make it noisier, do you do it on the lid or what? please explain or post a diagram.

Davido
04-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Don't do it, there's not really much point. It just sounds stupidly noisy and islikely to get you pulled.

But if you're set on it, drill them anywhere in the lid, but try and put a lip on them so that water resting on the surface cannot just drip in. In other words, drill from the inside out.

jon_RS50
04-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Don't do it, there's not really much point. It just sounds stupidly noisy and islikely to get you pulled.

But if you're set on it, drill them anywhere in the lid, but try and put a lip on them so that water resting on the surface cannot just drip in. In other words, drill from the inside out.

:) smart idea lad. I doubt il get pulled, the police here are useless, sure I dont even have an L plate iv passed the cunts loads of times :plus: theyre complete dumbasses, so I think il do it then lol
How many do u think I should do davido?

RS_Patrick
04-22-2006, 07:37 PM
It was answered, its not much good for performance unless you really got a 24mm or bigger carb, ive posted some pictures on the only propper way to do it in a tread about my bike.
But here are the pictures once more.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5769/opening4ap.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3213/modifaction9tn.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3353/modifacation20oo.jpg

If you want to just drill into the Airbox drill in the same place were i made the extra Tube! but seriously i recomend fitting 1 or 2 little plastic tubes like that in there to keep the airflow as optimal as you can in there.
Keep in mind this mod is for a 24mm carb so you dont need to make it as big and you dont need to shorten the original intake.

minxymears
04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
or this is how i did it based on the reccomendation of somebody else a while ago on the forum (before patrick was moderator or id have probably done it his way), it uses a kodak film canister with a few cm's chopped off to give you the lip required so no water can get in, it makes the bike sound a whole lot nicer, and not stupidly loud like someone said earlier, personally i think my RS is stupidly quiet for a 2 strok especially compared 2 these scoots, sometimes i have to look at my rev counter just to see that its ticking over.
The airbox mod gives a 'throatier' much nicer sound, i was well chuffed when i fired it up for the first time after doing it :plus:
but yeah it may require a rejet in some cases

Davido
04-23-2006, 06:31 AM
I ran mine without the lid at all just down the road and it made my head hurt. I'm sure it would be better with just one hole though.

As Minxy said, use a film canister, but just one hole should be enough to give you the sound you're after.

RS_Patrick
04-23-2006, 09:51 AM
I axtualy used a film canister, but it might be a bit big for a stock carb.
Best place to fit it is were i did, than it wont give weird effects on the airflow especaily if you cut it off under an angle it wil sound great. (see picture)