PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sidebags/Tankbag & more

sdam
08-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Fellow Riders,

Just switcing from Yahoo, where you may have seen the occasional post under the name "Damatopoulos"...
On to the post (cross-posted in Yahoo, also).

Just came back from Summer vacations, all went fine with the Beast (TM).
Lots of good road kms, a little of dirt. Finally had a chance to
reach 220 km/h (alone, that is) but only for a little while.
Scared to death with GF on the back seat, all of our luggage on the
bike, trying to reach that deserted beach in a remote greek island
on unbeliavably bad dirt road. We didn't fall and that's enough.
Now, on to the questions:
Since I don't intend this to happen again, having to acommodate all
luggage with only a topcase available (I have a Givi 52 l.) I am now
searching for a good pair of sidebags. Could use the Givis, but I
don't like their looks very much. The Aprilia's look good, but are
they any good at use? I need lots of space inside but dont want
aluminum bags.
Also, what would be a good (preferably huge) tank bag to use? What
about the Touratech? Ain't huge, but looks good.
Any experiences/suggestions?
And, By The Way, Communication systems: Is the Autocom worth it's
Euros (lots of Euros, for that matter) and which one would you
suggest? Easi or Pro?

Thanks in advance for all the answers and happy riding...

-Sotiris.

Francois
08-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Hi

Regarding Autocom
I got the pro system about two months ago on the advise of fellow Capo riders in the form.
Yes it is expensive but well worth the price and the service I got was top notch.

Did a trip up to the north of Ireland and it was amazing being able to travel at 70miles and have a normal conversation and listen to music the hole way.
The pro system is voice activated and if you are listening to music, the music will go down 50% as soon as you start talking.
I have also connected my mobile phone to the system and people donít realise that I am on my bike while talking to them.

Capono
08-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by sdam
Also, what would be a good (preferably huge) tank bag to use? What
about the Touratech? Ain't huge, but looks good.
Any experiences/suggestions?

I'm very happy with the Bagster combo, that is tankcover and 2 bags. I use the small bag every day, and the 2 bags on weekend trips. It's not cheap (I just bought the cover for 119 euro), but for every day use I found it worth the price. Pictures on my site.

Hans

sdam
08-19-2003, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the answers.
As for the Bagster, I don't really like the leather thing 'round the tank.
Probably will go to some other solution. Our bikes can't hold a magnetic bag, can they?

Francois
08-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi

A magnetic tankbag will not work. I am using the Buffalo tankbag, witch is magnetic but comes with bungee cords.
The bungee cords was of no use because there is no real area to hook them, so I made my own straps to fix it to the bike.
The bag consists of two removable bags. I have only used one at a time, with both on the tank it is very high and you canít see your instalments.
I have attached some pictures.

Francois
08-19-2003, 08:21 AM
tankbag

sven
09-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Just fitted a Bagster tank cover so I could use my old Delta tanbag - not the most suitable bag for a Caponord, but it works (just).

The cover was slightly tricky to fit; just make sure you fit the two screws at the front of the tankcover first and work backwards.

sven
09-05-2003, 02:38 PM
...and from a distance

Capono
09-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Looks good, doesn't it. The only pitty is that the name isn't printed on the cover. You can't have everything...

Hans

Wayne ETV55
11-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Dear All

My first post on AF - overall impressions of this forum are good - a welcome change from others I've encountered.

I've owned a Caponord from new for 2 months & have really enjoyed the bike - a real change from the CBR600F I used to ride.

I needed a tank bag and after consulting this forum & a fellow Aprilia rider (Futura) who has used the Bagster tank bag & tank cover on several bikes I decided to go down this route. At the NEC bikeshow I bought a tank cover & 'alpha' bag to use on my Capo'. Am still waiting on delivery of these purchases so thought I'd plan ahead & ask anyone who has fitted the Bagster/Baglux tank cover to a Caponord for any tips on this task. Any advice would be much appreciated.

In addition, has anyone encountered any issues with the fastener bolts that are located on the bodywork just under the riders seat? The fastener bolt that is located just behind the preload adjuster on my Capo seems to have gone missing & in trying to remove the same fastener on the other side of the bike in order to get the correct sized replacement for the preload adjuster side of the bike I encountered difficulties removing this bolt (almost like cross threading). To date this is the only thing I have to comment upon re the big Aprilia - perhaps I was spoilt by the Honda build quality on my last bike. I am concerned I'll encounter the same fastener issues when fitting the tank cover.

Wayne ETV55

tsombrero
11-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I went through the same thing a few months ago and wound up getting the Aprilia bag. I only considered the Aprilia and the Touratech because there are local dealers and it's the kind of thing I want to check out in person before buying.

The Touratech was nice BUT there was no graceful way to attach it. It zips on to a base with four long straps that you just have to wrap around something. Any way I could figure, it looked terrible. (It was obviously designed for the GS). The base has no hole for the gas tank, you have to cut it out yourself, and the material looks like it would fray unless you're good with a sewing machine. (There are stiched reinforcements where the hole would go on a GS but not the Capo).

The Aprilia bag comes with mounting hardware and it works great. It's easy to remove and refuelling isn't a problem. The tapered design is not ideal when it comes to rectangular maps but I can live with that. It doesn't interfere with steering, a common complaint with the Touratech one.

CapoRR
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
If you need a high capacity tank bag, have you considered the Touratech tank bag that also has two tank panniers attached? I had this set up on my Africa Twin and found it to be very good.

team222
11-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Communcations Sets: I have had 3 Chatterboxes, 1 J&M and 2 Autocoms and have had no luck with any of them. The J&M and Autocoms were bitter disappointments due to high costs and still not having them work. PM me for details. If you only need to communicate with your passenger do not buy the expensive Autocoms.....they are a waste of money; plus lower cost unit is voice activated and this has a real advantages.

Sidebags: I have Givi Top and Sidebags.....and like them. Sidebags are big which is good but I think are too wideeeeeeeeeeeee. They also have a smaller door opening so you dont have to open the entire sidebag up to put things in or take things out. Go here to see them on my bike and read a report.

Photos of Givi Sidebags on my 02 Capo (bottom 2 photos show bags)
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56985&highlight=template

Givi Eval For You
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36148&highlight=givi

Tankbag: I only have experience with the Aprilia Tankbag. Fits nice, looks nice, easy on/off and can be expanded. Fairly priced

Let us know how all this turns out for you

Mike

UKJIM
11-15-2005, 02:56 PM
If you have the autocom be sure to have the Pro version its far better, but also check out the Starcom and Intaride, both of these are good performers, many say they are better than Autocom, and be aware that the in helmet speakers will need to be positioned in exactly the right place in the helmet usually needing a Hot spoon to melt out the ear pocket more so the speakers don't cause discomfort.
OR alternativley and a better solution get earplugs with in line monitors built in, these are like hi fi headphones but with custom moulded earplugs and replace in helmet speakers, much more comfortable and effective, Autocom do a patch cable for their systems and Starcom & intaride are already compatible.

Green Leopard make 'em, On The Spot Monitors, contact you local Green Leopard provider. :lame:

timcob
11-15-2005, 05:13 PM
The Bagster cover has the letters 'ETV' embroidered on it. I also have the bagster combo, though I never used the bag. I got the combo to get the cover since it makes it possible for people with long legs fit on the bike. Prior to that my knees would get stuck under the wedge in the tank and I couldnt lift my toes to hit the brakes or shifter. Whoever designed the tank n the capo must have been a short Italian.