PDA

View Full Version : Handling has degraded

veedubius
04-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi

I have a 2004 Tuono with 15800Km's on it. It is due now for its 15000km service which I plan to do ASAP but I have noticed over the last 3-4 months/1-3000 kms that the handling seems to have gotten worse on it.

I remember when I first bought the bike I was amazed at how well it handled compared to my CBR600F but also was very good at dealing with rough spots on the road. Increasingly I have noticed that the bike seems to squirm alot when pushed hard through corners, tram-lines alot and is absolutely horrible when hitting bumps in the road. The bumps are transferred quite harshing through to the chassis and handle bars.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this would be happening? Is it just a matter of changing my fork oil? My tires are inflated correctly. The bike has been in a minor accident (grrr) but this happened well before (8-11 months) I started noticing the degredation in the suspension.

I have also noticed that it feels that the rear of the bike is not as high as it was when I bought it. I say this as I used to be able to only tippy-toe when sitting on the bike and could not get both feet flat on the ground at once when stopped. I can now get both quite easily though this may be due to the seat sponge being compressed.

I am only 70kg so I would not be putting a large strain on the suspension and have never fiddled with its suspension settings.

Thanks for any thoughts.

farva03R
04-15-2006, 12:33 PM
wouldn't hurt to do a check of all the suspension parts (linkage) to see if there is any visable damage/problems. look for any leakage on the rear shock. you'd notice the front forks leaking for sure. been there got the T shirt for that.

has your wieght changed in the last few months?

your changing the fluid soon righ? i think the seat may compress a bit but it seems like your shock may have somehow lost a turn or two on the ride height. you haven't touched the rear shock? did someone at a dealer or buddy mess with it? from tippy toes to flat on the ground sounds wierd. keep us informed please. jc

tmtuono
04-15-2006, 12:43 PM
What type of tires, what pressure and how many miles on the set?

D@ve
04-15-2006, 03:11 PM
mine was doing that on worn D207RR's, as soon as I changed the tyres it all came good again. the feeling of the bike being lower than before may be down to the tyre getting a lower profile through losing tread.

bmac
04-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like tires to me. Perhaps the front tire is slightly cupped.

TBSstunta
04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
maybe one of the neighborhood monkeys is fakkin with your settings.

Scary
04-16-2006, 02:10 AM
These bikes are real close to track/race bikes & therefore they react to small changes in their set-up(even 1 or 2 psi in tyre pressure). Things like the wearing down in dia. of tyres, wearing in of shock & fork springs( which is the mileage you're at now), as well as their oils thining, all affect the ride height/sag settings & change the feel of the bike a lot as the miles rack up. I have found to keep it right in the zone I like I've had to constantly re-set suspension settings & ride heights as I've felt changes in wear effecting it(not to meantion when ever I change a tyre or fork oil). Rear ride height is one I've noticed I move more often because the rear tyres flatten off quicker than the fronts changing bike feel. & by the time I replace my rear I've changed the ride height twice at least & have to go back again for a new tyre to keep the feel the same.
To "me" after near on 50,000kms of 2ono grins, what u speak of is normal. As time goes on u become better at keeping it right/balanced where u like it, the more u learn & understand this awsome bike.
Steep learning curve for me over time. But rewarding stuff non the less.:) :burnout:

Beau1K
04-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Maybe the air in your tires is stale.

veedubius
04-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all your feedback. I have 208RRs on the back with the original 207RR on the front. I know when I put on the 208RR (went from 195 to 185) I noticed how "pointy" the tires were and now the back is really quite flat as it is due for replacement. I expect after a tyre replacement and service I will be in a better position to determine the cause, that is if both those things dont sort it out anyway.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

The Dr.Jon
04-20-2006, 01:21 AM
What about the steering head bearings? I've just had mine changed after 19,000 miles. My handling had changed, which I put down to shagged tyres, but it was the tyres AND the bearings.:burnout:

ARAIHEAD
04-20-2006, 01:24 AM
What about the steering head bearings? I've just had mine changed after 19,000 miles. :

Only 19,000 miles & you have the ordacity to take the proverbial outta me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy: :funnypost

The Dr.Jon
04-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Only 19,000 miles & you have the ordacity to take the proverbial outta me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy: :funnypost

I'm surprised I find the time!:rolleyes:

:happy: :burnout:

Beau1K
04-20-2006, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=The Dr.Jon]What about the steering head bearings? QUOTE]

Don't forget about the muffler bearings!:burnout:

veedubius
05-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Well,

just picked the bike up today after the 15K service. It is alot nicer now, much more like when I first got it. Handling is comfy but also confident where before it was horrible. Put Pilot Powers on front and rear and did all the other stuff with the 15K service and now is a joy to ride.

Simon

The Dr.Jon
05-19-2006, 02:36 AM
I like a happy ending!:burnout:

twin4me
05-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Where did you get your service done?
I would recommend Southern Cross in London if you are UK based. Don set my suspension up for me after I had similar experiences to you and I was amazed at the difference it made.

D@ve
05-19-2006, 03:36 AM
I would recommend Southern Cross in London if you are UK based.

What, even if he is in Aberdeen? :confused:

twin4me
05-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Without a doubt!