PDA

View Full Version : I found this in the oil plug magnet of my Tuono Racing! What could it be?

pentti56
04-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi

Anyone have an idea what this could be? I changed the oil and this stuff came out. I wonder whether I have to take the whole engine apart.

My bike is a Tuono Racing 2003 with 4000 km only. I crashed it on the left side recently and have not ridden it more that a few km since. The gear pedal was smashed so could this be one of the transmission axle circlips. What puzzles me is that it's round like wire.

I attach a photo

kzmille
04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Wrist pin circlip?

X-CBR MAN
04-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Looks like something ran over it. By the marks looks as tho it could have gotten in the way of a gear cluster maybe?

The Dr.Jon
04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
:eek: I'd ask Clarkie49, pronto!:eek:

Silver-Bolt
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Sure looks like a wrist pin clip. Not good.

oliver
04-11-2006, 06:34 PM
OMG, you found an ignition key in your oil!!!

In all seriousness, I agree that it looks like a circlip of some type, possibly from your shifter. How does it shift?

TRexRacing
04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Shift detent spring?Whatever it is you need to disassemble the beast and find out before it disassembles itself.

amauri
04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Looks like a piston pin clip to me.

Could be that a careless assembler at the factory dropped the clip when installing the pistons and instead of retrieving it, just picked another clip.

Maybe you could find someone with a Bore scope to look down the spark plug hole before tearing it all apart (though you may not see anything).

The Dr.Jon
04-12-2006, 02:32 AM
OMG, you found an ignition key in your oil!!!

Too funny (you sick b*stard)!:funnypost

Ceros47
04-12-2006, 03:21 AM
It is a piston wristpin - nothing to do with shaft circlips.

I suggest you open up your engine and find out which wristpin its come off.

Sooner the better but you could just as easily drive round for ever not knowing it came off and nothing will happen.

Harry H
04-12-2006, 04:19 AM
oooh I could never relax on a bike that could go bang at any moment even if it was very unlikely. So you've got no choice but to find out where it came from and get it fixed.

Or flog it on the basis that the new owner will probably ride round in blissful ignorance for many a mile.

pentti56
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I showed the pieces in a local Aprilia shop that has rebuilt engines and the diagnosis is that it indeed is a piston circlip.

Engine has to be removed and at least cylinders lifted to see whether it is an extra part dropped in the crackcase during assembly or if it is one of the four badly needed ones.

Thanks for the tips :-), this weekend's track day lost :-(

008man
04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I wonder if Aprilia would cover the costs of this, if it turns out that, it is indeed an extra one left in there by a careless assembler?

Jace
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder if you had the dealer change the oil and they had found the bits whether they would have said anything?

If they didn't you would have carried on quite happilly completely ignorant to the problem (With probably no consequence).

And if they did, would you beleive them or assume they were touting for extra work!?

Just wondering thats all..............

muamer
04-12-2006, 08:13 PM
ohh..... SNAP that sucks man. Good luck

naimchase
04-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree that it looks like a wristpin circlip. But how could an installed one escape? Is it not trapped between the wristpin and the cylinder wall for its entire travel? Or is it exposed at the bottom of the stroke? Surely it must be a stray.

kzmille
04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
I agree that it looks like a wristpin circlip. But how could an installed one escape? Is it not trapped between the wristpin and the cylinder wall for its entire travel? Or is it exposed at the bottom of the stroke? Surely it must be a stray.
The design of the pistons is such that the wrist pin bore does not go all the way to the cylinder wall. This makes for a shorter wrist pin which means lighter pin and piston.

If the clip did come loose from the piston it seems to me there would be a catastrophic failure in a very short time. I think it is most likely an extra clip that got away from the installer but the only way to know is to tear it down.

naimchase
04-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I have not had a 990 piston in my hand yet. I have been hoping to delay that pleasure.

vburgh
04-13-2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2327

NUTTA
04-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I showed the pieces in a local Aprilia shop that has rebuilt engines and the diagnosis is that it indeed is a piston circlip.

Engine has to be removed and at least cylinders lifted to see whether it is an extra part dropped in the crackcase during assembly or if it is one of the four badly needed ones.

Thanks for the tips :-), this weekend's track day lost :-(

Whilst the motors out you might as well get it big bored (every cloud has a silver lining and all that). :)

jetfever
04-15-2006, 11:08 AM
KZ, Thanks for the Piston photo. I had no idea the piston looked like that, the narrow part for a lighter pin etc...Is that common these days? We just pulled the pistons out of my friends Rotax 912 aircraft engine, they do not look like that, Max RPM is 5800, (for a prop RPM of 2700). Pentti, sorry about your find:bangwall:

kzmille
04-15-2006, 05:34 PM
KZ, Thanks for the Piston photo. I had no idea the piston looked like that, the narrow part for a lighter pin etc...Is that common these days? We just pulled the pistons out of my friends Rotax 912 aircraft engine, they do not look like that, Max RPM is 5800, (for a prop RPM of 2700). Pentti, sorry about your find:bangwall:
I think it is fairly common for modern large bore high perf. four strokes but not two strokes. Is that Rotax 912 a 2 or 4 stroke?