PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my new 2006 Tuono

chrisscaines
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Picked it up from GP Motors, San Diego. Awesome. Rode 230 miles on Saturday and am very impressed. I'm coming off a Honda RC51, so the bike feels 100lbs lighter, way, way more user friendly. Faster, safer in the twisties.

Question: what pipes are the pipes to get? Two-into-on Akra? Dual Akra? The fueling is not very smooth low down, either. I am breaking the bike in but this probably will not change. Will a PCIII smooth out the fueling with stock pipes?

Why is there not a compession adjustment on the rear shock? It only has rebound and preload. A bike that cost this many $$ should be a bit higher end, don't you think? Or is the stock rear shock engineered and valved specifically for the Tuono?

Wizard
04-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Congrats on the purchase! Was there any trouble with the rear brake when you picked it up?

chrisscaines
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
not that I know of. Have not checked.

Ricky J
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Alot of the magazine reviews I've read mentioned that lack of rear compression adjustment though suspension performance as a whole was praiseworthy. Obviously the lower-spec shock was a cost saving measure, probably done last year when the dollar to euro balance was going haywire. If you were planning on upgrading shocks anyway it doesn't work out so bad, figure you saved a little bit of money on the part you're replacing.

But it might be advisable to negotiate that Ohlins shock as part of any purchase deal.

Ricky J
04-11-2006, 11:35 AM
If a full exhaust is what you're after, some sort of dual system would be the way to go. Akrapovic and Arrow for sure make ones of very high quality for the similar RSV04s.

As far as fueling goes, at the break-in service they can have a look at T-body synch and make adjustments that may satisfy your complaints.

Maxacceleration
04-11-2006, 11:53 AM
CC has the first complaint of lurchy fueling so far(that I've read). Maybe its the 16t CS sprocket having it geared too tall? All the publications have praised its smoothness. I'll be curious.... Still waiting for mine.
Wizard, I'll be Down on my FZ6 today yacking at Dave....

chrisscaines
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
The lurching is noticeable up to 4000, but that is lugging for this bike anyways, and I am breaking it in. I think I found it up to 4500. I will wait until after my 600 and speak with the techs at GP.

On the exhaust. Is there any negative with going high mount versus low? I know you can keep the pegs if you want with let's say, Leo Vince and others. I am leaning towards the Akra ti slipons. Is the Two Into One advisable, or should I go with duals? RJ, you're saying duals for max performance, right? Where is the best deal around for those pipes?

chrisscaines
04-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Max, the bike as a whole is soooo smooth. No complaints running up to 6000 right now. Just cruising in town will get a cough or two.

chrisscaines
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
hidden in the rear compartment, I found that Aprilia supplies a 15 tooth front. Cool.

amauri
04-11-2006, 06:20 PM
The fueling is not very smooth low down, either. I am breaking the bike in but this probably will not change. Will a PCIII smooth out the fueling with stock pipes?

Believe it or not, there is already a new ECU software and map update for the 06/07 Tuonos.

Your bike, like all the ones we got last week came with ECU ver 266531, the new update is 266532 and it makes a difference.

Stop by the shop and I'll update it for you, no charge.

T06
04-11-2006, 08:17 PM
....& then the cans, after that as Amauri said map 2 & it should be as smooth as. LeoVince's on mine & done as above & as long as the fuels got plenty of heat at detonation in it the thunder runs magic.These are the titanium that I got for a good price that I couldn't say no.

TUONOAPE
04-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Question: what pipes are the pipes to get? Two-into-on Akra? Dual Akra? The fueling is not very smooth low down, either. I am breaking the bike in but this probably will not change. Will a PCIII smooth out the fueling with stock pipes?

Why is there not a compession adjustment on the rear shock? Or is the stock rear shock engineered and valved specifically for the Tuono?
As for pipes, it doesn't really matter, they will all give you much better performance and the map 2 (or open pipe map whatever you want to call it) will sort out your fueling problems that occur around the 4000 - 4500rpm range (you probably notice it as a surging or lurching issue especailly when you're lightly on the throttle in 3rd gear around town if you're running the 15t front gear). Map2 completly removes it and not only gives you a very noticable power increase, but bike also runs much smoother.

As for the rear shock, no I don't think it is engineered specifically for the Tuono, they're just being cheap bastards. It's the only thing (apart from the cans) that I'm going to change on this bike. It's just not up to the rest of the package, but hey, everything else is so great on this bike that it's a small price to pay IMO.

TUONOAPE
04-12-2006, 07:22 AM
....& then the cans, after that as Amauri said map 2 & it should be as smooth as. LeoVince's on mine & done as above & as long as the fuels got plenty of heat at detonation in it the thunder runs magic.These are the titanium that I got for a good price that I couldn't say no.
T06, is it just my eyes, or the photo? or is that rear tyre of your's showing some very significant wear? I'm hoping that if that's the case it was all done at the track, you wouldn't be throwing your bike around corners that hard on the road would you? ;)

T06
04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
...never noticed that before.:burnout: But alas yes the tyre is gone & am now sporting a Power outback;)

Ricky J
04-12-2006, 10:53 AM
As for the rear shock, no I don't think it is engineered specifically for the Tuono, they're just being cheap bastards.

Yes and no.

The factory will have performed all the testing to determine what valving and spring rate suits the bike in standard form and then ordered dampers with those specs- in that regard it IS engineered for the Tuon06. Deletion of the comp adjuster is to reduce the unit's price, of course.

chrisscaines
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I wonder why manufacturers like MV Agusta can match Aprilia's price point with their Brutale line (which I owned) and put superior Marzochi forks and Sachs double clickers on their bikes. Not complaing, the bike works well. My recent runs through my normal circuits this weekend proved that, but just how much better could the bike be with further adjustability? Probably a lot.