PDA

View Full Version : Touno vs Speed Triple comparo

BigGlen
08-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Did anybody see the Tuono vs Speed Triple comparison in Motorcycle Consumer News?

They ranked the Speed Triple higher than the Touno in all but one area ! The Triumph beat the Tuono in engine, brakes, handling, controls and instruments!
What a crock!
:rolleyes:

cornercarver
08-16-2003, 12:49 AM
They're on crack! I've owned both and there is no comparison on the street. Interestingly, after my first track day on the Tuono (compared to 7 or so on the S3), the S3 really did seem to do better on the track. Those Triumph brakes are stellar and they let you get everyone on the brakes into slow corners. Also, I think the bars are quite a bit lower, relatively speaking, which made it easier to ride super aggressively.

The Tuono motor is definitely superior, the chassis outclasses it by a mile, the airflow is smoother, the suspension is far superior and has more potential for upgrade. The sound with an aftermarket slipon is a tossup between the two, and they both kind of compete for the 'so ugly, it's pretty' award. Assuming it is only a matter of time before we get some kind of lower bar (either a bar with a lowering bend in it, or lower risers), the ability to ride hard at the track is probably equalized. For me, the problem wasn't handling, it was comfort. The bar is too high to hang off comfortably, but, at least for me, hanging off is necessary for maximum speed at the track. On the street, it is no contest. The Tuono outclasses the S3 in every department, and the bumpier it gets, the more it does so.

Don't sweat it. MCN just like to tout the brit bikes, regardless of the evidence.

--sam

Jony2Stones
08-16-2003, 07:29 AM
I work at a Triumph-Ducati dealership, so I've put many many miles on Speed triples (in various trims)

And none of them are even close to the Tuono.

I bought the Tuono even though I could have gotten a screamin deal on a SP3/monster.

The motor is stronger (even comparing my 1000mile motor to one that has over 8ooo miles)
I've dragged one and the only thing that kept the SP3 even close was the fact that I wasnt shifting clutch-less.

I suspension is no contest. The tuono (even in regular form) is one of the best stock sprung bikes I ever ridden. And I havent even had time to adjust things to me (although the way it feels I dont think I could do much better)

Brakes, yes the sp3 is the fastest stopping bike, but the Tuono has a very progressive feel and a good deal of control/feedback compared to the SP3.

Anyhoo, I'm glad with my choice....

Regards

BigGlen
08-16-2003, 01:42 PM
YEAH!

Nice to hear your rebuttals.
Cause I'm in the midst of shopping for a Gray Tuono. I'm hoping to get a steller end-of-season price somewhere in the North east.

scottywadly
08-16-2003, 09:19 PM
refer back to cycle world june '03 i think "modern immaturity"- 9 bike comparo- Tuono won by a mile-S3 placed a distant 6th:D

scottywadly
08-16-2003, 09:23 PM
I also worked at a triumph/ducati shop and rode many a speed triple-1300 miles now on my grey Tuono, and there is absolutely no comparison, but yeah the trumpets brakes are good. i do believe a set of EBC's pads will even that score- they made a drastic improvement on my 748:D

PaulTuono
08-18-2003, 03:33 AM
I just traded in a 955 Speed Triple for my Tuono Racing and the Triumph pales in comparison. The triple is an excellent bike with a cracking engine but the build quality and suspension are poor compared to the Tuono. The Touno is significantly faster too.

Also I could grind the headers on the Triumph and was always worried I would lever the bike off the deck when cornering hard, no such problems with the Tuono limitless ground clearance it seems.

rainh8r
08-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I don't know where MCN got their Tuono, but it doesn't sound like it was new; probably some magazine test hack that was beat up and never serviced. The driveability issues they refer to make it seem like a completely different bike than mine. My FI system transitions seamlessly between on and off throttle, is smooth throughout the rev range, has decent midrange and great top end. My chassis feels planted and stable at any speed and the tires work fine. Mille front brakes could help, but these work well. They said they didn't know what it was suppossed to be, a sport bike, a sport-tourer or a standard! It's a sport bike with higher bars and no plastic-how tough is it to tell that? MCN is very touring-oriented, and so their views seem a little BMW biased. Even my rear brake works fine and theirs didn't. I believe they were using "guest" testers for this one too, which could have something to do with their response.

Scotteq
08-18-2003, 04:06 PM
- Cycle World, July 2003: Tuono "Open Class Streetbike of the Year"

- T.W.O., May 2003: "So in the final analysis, the Tuono wins by the kind of margin better reserved to an England/Italy rugby international.... Are you feeling lucky, punk."

- Cycle World, June 2003: "First place and No Arguments: - Aprilia Tuono. "Sixth~ish" - Truimph Speed Triple

- Bike, #362: (first place Kaw Z1000) Tuono= second "The Aprilia is the most mental bike here..." Best suspension, top brakes, fastest/best at the track. Made more power *and* torque than the Speed Trip.

- T.W.O., "Bike of the Year" contest: Aprilia Tuono "#1 Naked Nutter. "Handles as well as a Mille" "There's no way a Japanese company could make this bike, it's just too barking. God bless teh Italians for bringing us such a beast...." Triumph Speed Triple - 5th.

Sport Rider, August 2003: "The Tuono is by far the best performer, and as champaigne in the trophy is the best all around bike, too."

Performance Bikes, April 2003: Couldn't come up with a clear consensus between the Z1000, Tuono, and the Speed Triple. "The Z1000 is the lowest common denominator, and will please most people more of the time...." "The Tuono has ten times the flavour of the Z - It has the attitude and fire in it's belly that the Kawasaki could do with more of... For those more interested in the visceral experience of biking, the Tuono is beautifully raw and intense....." "The Speed Triple sits somewhere in between the two, both in the sense of it's engine layout, and and in the way it captures some of the individuality of the Tuono and mixes it with the mass-produced utility of the Kawasaki."

Votes:

Kaw: 1st, 1st, 3rd
Aprilia: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Triumph: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

So by this count, the Trip is down 6, 1, and 1.

Scott :)

JasonS
08-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Has anyone scanned the articles Scotteq quoted? I have seen about half of them and would like to see the rest. I haven't ridden a S3, but the Tuono is a much better street bike than my 929 (for sale). I haven't had it on a track yet though I expect it will be better there as well.
JasonS

cornercarver
08-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JasonS
Has anyone scanned the articles Scotteq quoted? I have seen about half of them and would like to see the rest. I haven't ridden a S3, but the Tuono is a much better street bike than my 929 (for sale). I haven't had it on a track yet though I expect it will be better there as well.
JasonS

Personally, I felt teh Tuono was at its weakest at the track, especially compared to a dedicated sport bike. The bars were just too high for me to be comfortable on it. The motor and chassis are up to the track, but on the one track day I've done so far, I couldn't find a body position that really seemed to work. A 2" lower handlebar (like a speed trip) would be about perfect. I never had the same body position issues on my S3. As for comparisons to the 929... Unless you are fairly new to track riding, you should be able to ride the 929 faster at the track. It is designed for it. Same goes for the Mille, of course, and I think the 929 is easier to ride on track than the Mille. Not necessarily faster, but easier for sure.

--sam

JasonS
08-18-2003, 06:03 PM
I agree a lower bar would probably help on the track. The 929 is very easy to ride on the track the Tuono feels more natural to me. Maybe it's from riding motocross. I also prefer the power delivery of a twin.
I am new to track riding, 1 school and 2 open days. At this point I don't even worry about lap times, I have fun, ride a lot faster than I care to on the street, slide my knee a bit and try to keep my competitive nature from making me push too hard and wad up my street bike.;) I may get a track only bike some day so I can push a bit more.
JasonS

dbl_aitch
08-19-2003, 10:05 AM
I like MCN, but their main point in the article seemed to be "We are different, and therefore better, than the glossy magazines." Talk about picking nits...

Tripdog
08-20-2003, 07:49 PM
I have subscribed to MCN for several years and have always appreciated their direct, unbiased approach. However, when it comes to comparisons of any bike with a Triumph, the Triumph seems to prevail. In this case the overwhelming win by the S3 was absurd. I have ridden both and it's no contest. The S3 gives me an evil little grin, but the Tuono makes me break out in a huge smile. This sucker is just plain fun.
CA:p

GreyTuono
08-20-2003, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine picked up an '02 S3 in Roulette Green back in April. We've traded bikes on rides and I must say that the Tuono is the superior bike especially when it comes to power on the lower end of the rpm spectrum.