PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of a *shorter* Tuono windscreen?

oliver
04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
In this (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81207) thread, I outlined some of the changes I've made to my Tuono. I have also been searching for a shorter/lower windscreen, since it seems like the stock screen directs all of the air right into my neck (see 4th pic down in the above thread). I also think it might look cooler.

Just for kicks, I removed the windscreen altogether and went for a ride. This was inspired by the fairing on my 749, which is much smaller and lower (I would say comparable to the Tuono w/o the windscreen) BUT has much better airflow management at all speeds, regardless of riding position. Sure enough, things are noticeably calmer without a windscreen at all, though I didn't ride on the highway.

I looked around, but all I could find were OEM screens and taller. Thanks in advance.

Thunderstorm
04-10-2006, 06:44 PM
How bout cutting your stock screen down an inch at a time till it works for you. Should you totally screw up, there are many used stockers around, including mine. I had the same air flow lifting my helmet up, very annoying. The ZG/ST directs the flow higher and not as annoying.

blackduck
04-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Dremel sells one:kidding: :kidding: :kidding:

DGK
04-11-2006, 12:36 AM
I have fitted a MRA spoiler which is a bit lower but with more wind protection than the stock screen. I like the squarer look compared to the stock.

Beau1K
04-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Do you really park your car on your lawn?:WTF:

TBSstunta
04-11-2006, 12:54 AM
You might be able to take a stock Mille screen and chop it.

DGK
04-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Do you really park your car on your lawn?:WTF:

No, it will get stolen, this is South Africa. :eek: Didn’t you notice the steel fencing around my neighbour’s property? Just fooling around, it is not a problem parking a car on lawn in South Africa, the grass grow very fast and will recover quickly and if you don’t drive over it 10X per day or let it stand there for a weeks you will not see any damage. :bump: It is a friend that is visiting me and his car does not always stand there.

oliver
04-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I have fitted a MRA spoiler which is a bit lower but with more wind protection than the stock screen. I like the squarer look compared to the stock.

Hmmm...didn't come across those in my search, thanks. I'm guessing that flare at the top does a pretty good job pushing the air out of the way.

oliver
04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
You might be able to take a stock Mille screen and chop it.

I thought about that too, but at first glance I noticed the Mille screen is secured by 8 screws while mine has only six. Not sure if screw numbers 1 though 6 are in the same pattern or not...

TBSstunta
04-11-2006, 12:38 PM
the mille screen also extends further back towards the rider so there is every chance that you would chop those last two off.