PDA

View Full Version : Caponord or GS

AnthonyS
08-15-2003, 12:52 PM
In the same spirit as cccpull last week, I would be interested in your experiences with the GS 1150 R, especially if you now ride the Caponord and prefer it.

I would like to buy new and would use the bike for 2-up touring on good roads. My inside leg, by the way, is 31".

Thanks.

bmyates
08-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Anthony,

I would think the GS would be a bit tall for you, but since I'm 6'5", that's not the basis for my comments. I rode both bikes (and some others) before deciding on the Caponord. I think you'll find the engine on the Capo much smoother, more powerful, and less "jerky." When you grab the GS' throttle, the whole bike wrenches over to one side. With the Capo, you've got more power, but it is actually much more smoothly accessible.

As for two-up touring, you'll likely want to have custom seats made for the Capo (it'll make life much nicer for both of you). The good news is that you can easily do that (as well as make numerous other little mods) for far less than the difference in price between the two bikes.

Lastly, and I realize that this is a rather obscure issue, but the GS "feels" much larger than the Capo. I felt more in control on the Capo -- like it was more manageable.

Bottom line: ride both of them on the same day (preferably WITH your passenger), and you'll be able to make a good decision. The only thing that I found significantly lacking on the Capo was the seat, and that was easily remedied with a custom. I've have never wondered even for a minute if the GS might have been a better decision. The Capo is a great -- and for me a superior -- bike!

HTH,
Bruce
Sunny Seattle

GSL
08-15-2003, 03:41 PM
As a current 2002 BMW R1150 GS Adventure owner, I am considering getting rid of it and making the move to the Caponord. My main complaint about the GS is reliability. I've got just less than 23,000 miles on it and just had the third final drive installed last week. Fortunately, it has been replaced under warranty, but the stark reality is, I've had 2 vacations ruined this year, by a motorcycle that failed along the way.

Meanwhile, my '01 Falco has 31,000 trouble free miles on the odo and is running like there is no end in sight.

There's something about a 600 lb. bike + "shaft drive" + "single-sided swingarm" + "off-pavement" that doesn't add up.... :( Every GS owner that I know, that rides the bike off-pavement, has had the final drive replaced. It's understandable that parts wear out. But I can fix a chain or swap out a sprocket on the side of the road in less than 10 minutes. A final drive failure sends you to the shop and takes your bike away for at least a week.