PDA

View Full Version : Ecu Recall

Beau1K
03-29-2006, 01:58 AM
I propose we petition for an ECU RECALL due to the dash reset problem we all encounter on a regular basis! Obviously it's not an isolated problem. Everybody with an early mille, falco and tuono seems to experience this. Is this not a saftey issue if the bike turns off mid ride???

fusebox
03-29-2006, 02:34 AM
sorry to put a downer on things, but it aint the ecu thats causing the dashes to reset...... its a just crappy dashes!

Beau1K
03-29-2006, 02:37 AM
sorry to put a downer on things, but it aint the ecu thats causing the dashes to reset...... its a just crappy dashes!

ecu - dash whatever...if you have experienced the problem, please vote.

The title of the poll is "Have you experienced a dash reset" anyways

Beau1K
03-29-2006, 02:38 AM
So...bbluemm...you don't think the:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53125

had anything to do with faulty electronics?

Beau1K
03-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Hey "The_Scottsman" - so what modification did you have to do to get the dash to work properly?

day004
03-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Cept Futuras don't get dash resets. With all of the toasted connectors posted(Both my brown and white have fried) nobody has taled about this particular symptom. I think it's unique to the Mille/Tuono.

D@ve
03-30-2006, 01:37 AM
once is not enough to drive me nuts,

The_Scottsman
03-30-2006, 03:13 AM
The Falco's have had considerable problems with dash resets. The consensus is that this problem stems from the voltage regulator not providing enough voltage back to the battery to keep the battery charged. What seems to result is when the battery is somewhat low, and you try to start the bike, the voltage makes a slight dip and it causes the dash to reset. ‘Course, I’m summarizing this. I had this problem just like a LOT of other Falco, and I believe Futura, owners have. Check out both the Falco and Futura forums for the instructions on the fix. Here's the Falco one:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64758

Hope this helps.

Beau1K
03-30-2006, 03:18 AM
I think somebody was saying that since the futura has a different dash that nobody has had this problem on a futura...I dunno...all I know is that it's a real problem and it's not due to a shitty battery. Everybody proposes different fixes and I don't think any of them work...I think it just seems to work as the problem is so intermitent.

The_Scottsman
03-30-2006, 03:42 AM
I know I was having the problem with my dash resetting nearly every time I got on the damn thing. What I ended up doing was an alternative fix for the voltage regulator/rectifier; I had it replaced with one from a Ducati Monster. My multimeter is reading around 14.5~3 volts ranging between idle and 4k rpm and I never have a problem anymore. Before that, it read sometimes as low as 12.1. It's not about the battery other than making sure you have one that is in good working order. It's about the charging system not keeping the battery juiced up like it's supposed to. Most people have gone the other route, which is to perform the do-it-yourself mod. I apparently failed as even a "dummy" (don't ask) and had to go the other way. The DIY mod is simple, cheap, and pretty quick to do. It's certainly wouldn't hurt to look into.

Aprilia_RSV_Dan
03-30-2006, 04:21 AM
You left off I did the freaking mod and it still does it so I bought a new battery and battery tender now it's only done it once.

What drove me nuts the most about mine was it pretty much only did when I was out riding, didn't matter how far or how long but If I shut the bike of for a short time like say to get gas sure enough it would do it(in that case at least I didn't need to remeber to reset my trip counter lol).

FalcoPilot
03-30-2006, 07:00 AM
I've only had it happen once and this was after it had sat for nearly two months while I was laid up with a broken leg. Since that time I've kept it on a battery maintainer and I've also done the capacitor mod. It seems the key to this is proper battery maintenance.

Katch
03-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Cept Futuras don't get dash resets. With all of the toasted connectors posted(Both my brown and white have fried) nobody has taled about this particular symptom. I think it's unique to the Mille/Tuono.

Not sure about the Futuras getting resets, but they do have charging problems. The fix on the Falco forum originates from the Futura threads. I used to get resets all the time on my Falco a couple years ago. First I bought a better battery. I think it was a Westco (gell cell?). That fixed it for the most part. If I rode around all day with my high-beams on, the resets would strike again. The final solution was the wire fix from the threads listed all over the Falco and Futura forums. There's an obvious increase in charge both at idle and cruising rpms.

BTW- I rode from California to Florida and back in December/January. I used both a Gerber heated vest and satellite radio plugged into the battery. I never had one reset during the trip.

I doubt if even a better generator would work because the current one has a tendancy to fry the wires.

Steve

vito
03-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Not sure about the Futuras getting resets, but they do have charging problems. The fix on the Falco forum originates from the Futura threads. I used to get resets all the time on my Falco a couple years ago. First I bought a better battery. I think it was a Westco (gell cell?). That fixed it for the most part. If I rode around all day with my high-beams on, the resets would strike again. The final solution was the wire fix from the threads listed all over the Falco and Futura forums. There's an obvious increase in charge both at idle and cruising rpms.

BTW- I rode from California to Florida and back in December/January. I used both a Gerber heated vest and satellite radio plugged into the battery. I never had one reset during the trip.

I doubt if even a better generator would work because the current one has a tendancy to fry the wires.

Steve

what about the futuras? i didn't catch it the first three times.:kidding: ;) :burnout:

Katch
03-30-2006, 08:41 AM
:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Steve:cheers:

vito
03-30-2006, 08:43 AM
what about the futuras? i didn't catch it the first three times.:kidding: ;) :burnout:

the forum is acting weird. katch's post was shown 3 times, which prompted my smart-ass post. then my post didn't show up at all.:WTF: :confused: then katch's was just shown once.

Wot_bike_isit
03-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Wire mod and a fresh battery seems to have fixed it. But it reared it's ugly head again for the first time in years yesterday. My battery must be getting tired.

Wot_bike_isit
03-30-2006, 09:24 AM
You left off I did the freaking mod and it still does it so I bought a new battery and battery tender now it's only done it once.

What drove me nuts the most about mine was it pretty much only did when I was out riding, didn't matter how far or how long but If I shut the bike of for a short time like say to get gas sure enough it would do it(in that case at least I didn't need to remeber to reset my trip counter lol).
That's because if you turn off the motor for a short time and go to start it again the compression in the cylinders means the the starter needs a lot of juice to break em free and start the motor. Which is what happened to me yesterday when it happened again for the first time in years. When the motors stil cold, run for a couple of minutes and turned off then back on, seems to be when it really happens.

hank
03-30-2006, 10:57 AM
I've never had the unfortunate experience....

Perhaps I'm tempting fate, but she's still on the original stock battery from October, 1999

Aprilia_RSV_Dan
03-30-2006, 11:48 AM
That's because if you turn off the motor for a short time and go to start it again the compression in the cylinders means the the starter needs a lot of juice to break em free and start the motor. Which is what happened to me yesterday when it happened again for the first time in years. When the motors stil cold, run for a couple of minutes and turned off then back on, seems to be when it really happens.
Yup, exactly the reason. I don't know why the Cap mod didn't help though, I forgot who posted the mod but it was some good thinking and should have worked unless he missed traced a few things and that diode was in the wrong place, but someone else had said that the rest was actually caused by the ECU so if he was dead on with his with what he found on the dash PCB then it wouldn't matter.

I still plan on doing the wiring mod on the charging system, that and the heavy load the ECU puts on the bike when off are the root of the problem. I just can't beleive with how much I actually use this bike I still need to keep it on a tender.

ckruzel
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
i would not participate, its a glitch that does nothing for rideability and its pointless to try to initiate a recall over a non safety item. it's a waste of time, i mean if it bothers you that much, get a different bike

not being harsh against you personally, its just the way i feel about it. if there was a recall on it, now i have to take my bike in to have it repaired/replaced which i don't want to have my bike in the shop for a day when i could be riding? and then even though i trust the dealer in working on my bike, what if someone does something wrong, fries the ecu or something, ecu goes on backorder cannot ride the bike for a month or so, or even longer, or the bike gets scratched at the dealer, say they totally own up to it, but want to paint the tank, or order a new tail, now i have to go back or tie it up for that, no thanks all over the dash resetting, alot of what if's to go along with that and tie ups (btw, never had my bike damaged or anything, just some worse case situations, but they can happen)

RSV_Ecosse
03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Voted for option #2.

It's only done it to me last year a few times, just before I purchased a brand new battery.

It's a way of the bike telling you "Oi....!!!!......Gimme a new battery you git, otherwise I'll break your sprag clutch....!!!!".

"Oh....and hook me up to a battery tender while you are at it....!!!"

Kinda like an "early warning system". :)

Katch
03-30-2006, 12:51 PM
the forum is acting weird. katch's post was shown 3 times, which prompted my smart-ass post. then my post didn't show up at all.:WTF: :confused: then katch's was just shown once.

Yea, I went in and deleated the other two. :WTF:

Steve

Ally V60
03-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Like a few on here I went with option 2. Why well in over 7 years this has happened maybe 6 or 7 times. normally when the battery is dead or dieing. Which realy is the fault of the owner. As no major info is ever deleted when it resets it not realy a hardship in my books.

2pist
03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
My bike doesn't reset but I devised a diode isolated internally fused capacitor fix that plugged into the fuse box. I sent it to a forum member who's dash reset all the time. He sent it to another member but I never found out wether it worked or not!

Beau1K
03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
How is it a non saftey item if your bike dies? I have seen it happen to Lucky Dave while riding. Lucky for him he's Lucky and it happened at a stop sign.

Your argument about the dealer just does not make sense. If that were the case then NEVER take your bike to the dealer for anything right?

I just think it's problems like this and others that Aprilia needs to own up to.

i would not participate, its a glitch that does nothing for rideability and its pointless to try to initiate a recall over a non safety item. it's a waste of time, i mean if it bothers you that much, get a different bike

not being harsh against you personally, its just the way i feel about it. if there was a recall on it, now i have to take my bike in to have it repaired/replaced which i don't want to have my bike in the shop for a day when i could be riding? and then even though i trust the dealer in working on my bike, what if someone does something wrong, fries the ecu or something, ecu goes on backorder cannot ride the bike for a month or so, or even longer, or the bike gets scratched at the dealer, say they totally own up to it, but want to paint the tank, or order a new tail, now i have to go back or tie it up for that, no thanks all over the dash resetting, alot of what if's to go along with that and tie ups (btw, never had my bike damaged or anything, just some worse case situations, but they can happen)

vito
03-30-2006, 03:16 PM
i agree it is noithing more than an infrequent annoyance.

RSV_Ecosse
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Beau, I'm not sure what problem you are getting at?.

I'm not being a smart arse, I'm genuinely not sure what you are referring to?.

I've only ever had the dash reset problem whilst starting my bike, as have many others. I've never had the dash reset occur whilst riding.

I've had my bike cut out on me whilst riding, yes......but that was down to a faulty side-stand switch and after I had fixed that, I had cut out problems again, which were down to a faulty tip-over sensor.

I assumed the dash reset problem was more an annoyance rather than a serious safety issue, which only really occured at a standstill when starting the bike.

Other "cut-out" situations and faults are usually down to other pieces of equipment on the bike failing as mentioned above.

I've never heard of an ECU affecting the dash and cutting out the bike whilst riding in all my time on these forums and owning a Mille.

Again, not trying to be an arse, I'm maybe wrong, but can you elaborate more on what you are finding fault with?.

Regards,

RSV_Ecosse.

Beau1K
03-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I think the bike died...and upon restart the dash reset? Not 100% sure on that one as it wasn't my bike that did it.

Specifically with my bike...mid ride after gassing up the dash resets on occasion. I have to get back off, open the cowl, get the instructions, and fuck with it for 5 minutes at a gas station to re configure everything. I'm thinking we should get a real fix/replacement so that some weird circumstance does not end up hurting somebody. It's a saftey issue.

RichL025
03-31-2006, 01:20 AM
It was a infrequent occurance for me - I keep my bike on a battery tender when it's in the garage.

I had a sprag clutch go south on me, so decided to be a bit more aggresive in the problem - swapped out the RSVR's 12 amp battery for a 14 amp (had to get the RSV battery retainer).

Between the two (larger battery, tender) haven't had a reset in well over 2 yrs.

Also, several people have posted in detail about the capacitor mod 2pist described - do a forum search for it if you're interested.

cyclebrain
03-31-2006, 02:17 AM
i agree it is noithing more than an infrequent annoyance.
Yes, a very major annoyance. I use the trip meter for my gas guage. So I lose my fuel level reference. The RPM reset to 6500RPM drives me crazy flashing all the time. The time it takes me to reprogram all the modes takes quite a while. Might not be so bad in a metric country and for a rider who never rides above 6500 RPM.

vito
03-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Yes, a very major annoyance. I use the trip meter for my gas guage. So I lose my fuel level reference. The RPM reset to 6500RPM drives me crazy flashing all the time. The time it takes me to reprogram all the modes takes quite a while. Might not be so bad in a metric country and for a rider who never rides above 6500 RPM.
i agree. it pisses me off. :fangs: i will reset everything but forget the redline, then it's going off like crazy. i don't think the reset stuff has happened since i got a new battery. but the same with me: i use the trip meter to monitor fuel, and i don't know how fast i'm going in kph.:WTF: :confused:

vito
03-31-2006, 07:57 AM
I think the bike died...and upon restart the dash reset? Not 100% sure on that one as it wasn't my bike that did it.

Specifically with my bike...mid ride after gassing up the dash resets on occasion. I have to get back off, open the cowl, get the instructions, and fuck with it for 5 minutes at a gas station to re configure everything. I'm thinking we should get a real fix/replacement so that some weird circumstance does not end up hurting somebody. It's a saftey issue.
sounds like you have something else going on. mine has only done it at start-up.

Davenet
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM
sounds like you have something else going on. mine has only done it at start-up.

Agreed. Make sure all of your battery & ground connections are clean & tight and get one of the Westco batteries. Put lights on low beam at start up & get a battery tender if you aren't riding for an extended time.

ckruzel
03-31-2006, 09:43 AM

if the dash resets due to a low battery condition like not riding it over the winter months i think that is a non issues and if its for that, this thread is a waste of time

if the bike is shutting off when riding and causing the dash to reset (low voltage while riding) take it and have the low voltage problem fixed, not everyones bike does this, so jumping to recall status is a little overkill, the owners should have the bikes looked at, has anyone taken the bike in for service, or is it just the normal forum crying recall thing going on?

this forum gets more and more like gixxa.com everyday :rolleyes:

problems can be fixed without recalls, when a known fault comes out there may be updated parts through a service bulliten, problem is i would bet alot of people on the forum would rather post about recalls instead of taking the bike to a dealer to have it looked over, and a bulliten doesn't mean its a recall, its just information for a technician to aid in the repair

Dr. Thrillride
03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
My dash has always reset itself, but not when the battery dies, because that's never happened, but when I disconnect the battery to work on the bike (like taking the engine out, or installing a PCIII). My bike has never died midride.

I'm no electrical engineer, but it would seem the info displayed in the dash is not stored in the dash, it's stored in the ECU. If it's stored in the dash, then the dash needs power to keep it stored? So, is there not a little capacitor in the dash to discharge power to keep it? Given enough time disconnected, that power runs out, and voila, a reset. no idea really.

If you disconnect the power to the ECU, those functions are lost from memory? I have an axone and have perused the menus trying to find some kind of read on the dash info, but either it's not there, or I just can't find it.

Like a few on here I went with option 2. Why well in over 7 years this has happened maybe 6 or 7 times. normally when the battery is dead or dieing. Which realy is the fault of the owner. As no major info is ever deleted when it resets it not realy a hardship in my books.

Craigdb
03-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I sure hope I'm not jinxing myself, but in five years (with the orginal stock battery) I've never had this happen.

vito
03-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I sure hope I'm not jinxing myself, but in five years (with the orginal stock battery) I've never had this happen.
oh man, you're screwed now.;)

joeybeppy
03-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Same as Craigdb. Oh, and now what vito said. Maybe our bright fastest-color yellow bikes have something to do with it :)

Felix Da Cat
04-01-2006, 02:09 AM
I would hazard a guess here, but the capacitor is not the fix.

The data should be written to an E²PROM (EEPROM), which is non-volatile RAM meaning that it never loses it's data and probably has over 1 million write cycles. This would mean that it is just the way the data is written to memory, perhaps a bug in the software (in the "store to mem" routine most probably).

Apparantley you only need to replace the dash to fix this. You can try it by disconnecting the connector to the dash on your bike and see if you lose the data. So yes, a low or disconnected battery may do this, or when extra power is drawn from the battery for the starter motor on start up could also cause this.

The dash reset is highly unlikely to be a safety issue. Illegal, yes, but I doubt the bike would cut out mid ride.

My 2 cents worth anyway...

taziscool
06-13-2006, 09:00 PM
I have only had it happen at start up w/ a low battery from sitting........just take a few minutes, reset to SAE measurements and go on about your day. This isn't a safety issue in my book either.

Catatonic
06-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Hell, I'd just be happy if my dealer would admit to the swingarm recall. Now this??? :WTF:

X-CBR MAN
06-15-2006, 08:32 AM
It is just a temp (maybe 8-10 seconds) fix. Reason for the reset is there is no backup battery for the volitile memory in the dashes electronics much like the little waffer battery for your home pc motherboard.

Aprilia_RSV_Dan
06-18-2006, 01:25 PM
It is just a temp (maybe 8-10 seconds) fix. Reason for the reset is there is no backup battery for the volitile memory in the dashes electronics much like the little waffer battery for your home pc motherboard.
I did the cap mod and it didn't help(ok maybe it helped but the resest still happened), maybe a bigger one would have done the job but it would have to be mounted outside of the dash case, however someone had mentioned in the thread about the cap mod that the rest was caused by the ECU during an undervoltage, I don't know if this is true but it would explain why the mod didn't seem to help.

The only fix for me was to get a new battery and keep the bike on a tender, the wiring mod may help too in keeping the battery charged better while riding.

Firebolter
06-18-2006, 01:53 PM
I never had it happen prior to the wiring mod. I only did the wiring mod because of the battery not being charged as good as it could.

After I did the mod, with a fully charged battery I had a reset. It occurred during a startup where the bike was on a compression stroke which takes the most ummph from the starter to spin the motor past that and that big hit to the starter causes a big hit to the voltage, you get the voltage dip and the dash reset. No big whoop......

It is not a safety issue. The dash resetting has nothing to do with the ECU and cannot cause the bike to stop or engine to fail. The engine dying was caused by something else.

I experienced some engine dying early on with my Falco. I found it to be my fault. When I cut the wire on the ECU, I did not shield it properly and one end of the wire was grounding to the bike and causing the ignition to die. Simply correctly shielded the wire and never had an issue since in 17K miles.

Anytime you take a bike, and you mod things, cut wires, mess with stuff, you increase your chances of things going wrong if you don't do them correctly and know what you are doing. I'm not say9ng that is the case here, but it was in mine. I didn't take the time to do things correctly and in my haste, I created my issue. Thankfully the couple of times my ignition shorted out, I was riding in places where I simply cruised to the side, removed the seat, checked things and it fired right back up. The vibration was causing the wire to vibe around and eventually it would make contact with the metal. It finally donned on me when I was riding home to check the wires ans sure enough, there was some copper strands hanging out the end of my crappy shielding job.......

Felix Da Cat
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM

Sorry mate, it's a Flash eprom, so you don't need a battery to keep the info. Trust me on this ;)

X-CBR MAN
06-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Sorry mate, it's a Flash eprom, so you don't need a battery to keep the info. Trust me on this ;)

So why when you go below threshold (V=) things get stupid and you have to re-enter your data?

2pist
06-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Whenever you remove the battery you have to reset them so thats not the case.

Felix Da Cat
06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Whenever you remove the battery you have to reset them so thats not the case.

But that only applies to the Shift Light warning light and and the clock. The odometer has to be stored safely, and there is no way volatile ram can be considered safe ;) Why do the new bikes not lose memory? I still think it's a bug in the software. :confused:

I will make a point of opening up the clocks and having a look when I get some time.

X-CBR MAN
06-19-2006, 09:24 PM
they will.:)

thrillaprilla
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Yep, it's like "Groundhog Day" every time I disconnect the battery... I have a new bike!
Just remember to check the box "not actual milege" on the title when you sell the bike.:rolleyes:

Loch Rob
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM
No reset issue on my Futura.

Gtrain
02-04-2007, 12:49 AM
I've never had any resets on my falco and I've had it sitting for up to 3 weeks with out starting and I don't use a battery tender, makes me wonder if its to do with your lights staying on all the time, or that your cold starts are very cold compared to mine, has anyone from sunnier climes had this problem or is it just you poor bastards:kidding: that have to put up with snow in winter (colder ambient night temps) ?

StefanJ
02-04-2007, 12:28 PM

The question is really why would a manufacturer continue producing a bike with a known fault and not fix said problem?? for example the connector comming off the stator?
That is just crappy!!! Also when purchasing a bike for say $17000 that bike should not have manufacturer faults and if it does the company should fix it since it is a fault! Selling pieces of shit and not fixing the errors does nothing for advancing peoples perception of Aprillia!!!!! I don't want a bike that I have to spend a bunch of money on to mickey rig it just to fix some issues that came from the factory!!! That is crap, no matter how it is looked at!!!!

hank
02-04-2007, 12:51 PM
It would be interesting to see if the reset issue is related to specific model years...

My dash reset once in 7 years... when my nephew unplugged the Battery Tender one winter and I didn't notice for well over a month. Once the battery was recharged, everything was fine... Then again, that original battery lasted over 6 years.

Elridor
02-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Whatever the cause of the reseting might be it's f...ing ridiculous.... And to worstened things, it is illegal to sell a vehicule without the correct number on the odometer. It makes those bike hard to sell, it makes them look very suspicious to the (most of them)buyer that is not too sure about exotics.

Not good and embarassing...

Beau1K
02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
You are all full of shit or have an 04+ model:

Aeroxide, Anders J., ARAIHEAD, Asgardeh, auldy, AzIrish, badmotorscooter, Batfastard, bbluemm, Bill in OKC, bramo, CarlosT, cave9269, chris123, commandodave, COS Mille, Craigdb, deboRSV, Eastriding2002, El Gato Rosso, Elridor, evandewan, FactoryFun, Frazzermac, freezer-geezer, galloway840, GonzoPriller, Gtrain, guised, hank, Infallible, jimuk, jmarnell, joeybeppy, john in sweden, keithcar, K^2, l8-apex, mikeyyc, mitsu, mohawk, mossback, mrhyde, muppet, ninja_fox, novos, ogomer, p700, peltilelu, Quickbrit, QUICKSILVER, RaiderSix, RDBUL, rmandzij, rsvandanexc, seeker, SkiN, spencer, Steve Hunt, stevo, Thunderstorm, TRexRacing, twin4me, TxAg07, Unobtanium, VR-8, WEEErs50, Wingspan

Wingspan
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM

...Wingspan

Excuse me? I've never posted to this thread, so what have I said that makes me full of shit?:rolleyes:

Beau1K
02-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Excuse me? I've never posted to this thread, so what have I said that makes me full of shit?:rolleyes:

You are telling me that you have a 1999-2003 mille or 2002-2005 Tuono or Falco and you have never had a dash reset?

Wingspan
02-04-2007, 05:47 PM
You are telling me that you have a 1999-2003 mille or 2002-2005 Tuono and you have never had a dash reset?

Does this look like an 04+ to you?

http://photos.imageevent.com/wingspan/apriliamiller/millepics/websize/bikes%20024_1.jpg

I bought this bike nearly two years ago. In that time, it has never reset the dash on it's own. NOT ONCE. I've had to reset the dash only when I've unhooked the battery for maintenance.

I've never said that resets don't occur, obviously there are enough people who have seen it. HOWEVER, MINE NEVER HAS.

Believe it, don't believe it. I don't care. :rolleyes:

l8-apex
02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
04 Tuono, 12k miles, never had a reset. The first thing I do when returning from a ride is plug in the battery tender.

l8-apex

jetfever
02-05-2007, 12:26 AM
04 Tuono, 12k miles, never had a reset. The first thing I do when returning from a ride is plug in the battery tender.

l8-apex
You will. I just had my 2nd Reset! 04 Tuono Factory, 9000 miles, I always use the battery tender.

This was in front of a full outdoor cafe! on Sun. morning. :mad: :pissed:
Bike would not start for a few min. Starter sounded normal. :mad:

What is the best new battery? I guess I'll start there and then do the brown wire mod etc...

Any Idea on the best source of action, :confused: I am really bummed out about this. :(

Have some of you lost the total milage???

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 12:47 AM
How much do you ride? I'm guessing you don't have that many miles on it then. If you ride frequently enough you will have the anamoly.

Does this look like an 04+ to you?

http://photos.imageevent.com/wingspan/apriliamiller/millepics/websize/bikes%20024_1.jpg

I bought this bike nearly two years ago. In that time, it has never reset the dash on it's own. NOT ONCE. I've had to reset the dash only when I've unhooked the battery for maintenance.

I've never said that resets don't occur, obviously there are enough people who have seen it. HOWEVER, MINE NEVER HAS.

Believe it, don't believe it. I don't care. :rolleyes:

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 12:48 AM

l8-apex

That's a miracle. I have had dash resets mid-ride...battery MUST be fully charged after 6 hours or riding no?

Wingspan
02-05-2007, 01:28 AM
How much do you ride? I'm guessing you don't have that many miles on it then. If you ride frequently enough you will have the anamoly.

I typically ride 8-12 thousand miles per summer. Remember, I'm in Indiana and so I don't have a year-round riding season like California. I also have more than one bike, so the Mille sees 4000-6000 miles per year. I do not hook it up to a tender unless I know it's going to sit longer than two weeks. The only problem I've had with the Mille so far is the tach needle slipped on the shaft.

Your poll asked if we've ever had a reset. I have not and yet you've called myself and the other 70+ people who haven't liars. Sorry you're having problems with your bike, but apparently not everyone does. I understand you're frustrated but please stop being an ass about it and apologize for saying a bunch of us are full of shit.

This forum gets worse and worse every day. It was bad enough when all we had to do was sort through flame filled political rants, now insults are common in the bike threads as well. :rolleyes:

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Calm down Mr. Sensitive...I am just trying to get a response out of the people who said they don't have the problem. :rolleyes: EVERYBODY I ride with that I know has had this issue...so when a bunch of people say they have not it kind of makes you sceptical.

Do you really think that I really think you are a liar? And if you do...do you actually care?

I typically ride 8-12 thousand miles per summer. Remember, I'm in Indiana and so I don't have a year-round riding season like California. I also have more than one bike, so the Mille sees 4000-6000 miles per year. I do not hook it up to a tender unless I know it's going to sit longer than two weeks. The only problem I've had with the Mille so far is the tach needle slipped on the shaft.

Your poll asked if we've ever had a reset. I have not and yet you've called myself and the other 70+ people who haven't liars. Sorry you're having problems with your bike, but apparently not everyone does. I understand you're frustrated but please stop being an ass about it and apologize for saying a bunch of us are full of shit.

This forum gets worse and worse every day. It was bad enough when all we had to do was sort through flame filled political rants, now insults are common in the bike threads as well. :rolleyes:

jetfever
02-05-2007, 01:34 AM
I know the feeling of no reset. (I thought Aprilia might have fixed the '04s) I went without for over 8000 miles. Now, 2 resets in less than 400 miles! Is my Battery getting old? I always use a tender and turn OFF the headlight at engine stop. :mad: :pissed:

How about the "Crank but no start"? How long do you wait after reset, b4 you try to re-start? I repeat the Q, have some of you lost total milage?

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 01:38 AM
I know the feeling of no reset. (I thought Aprilia might have fixed the '04s) I went without for over 8000 miles. Now, 2 resets in less than 400 miles! Is my Battery getting old? I always use a tender and turn OFF the headlight at engine stop. :mad: :pissed:

How about the "Crank but no start"? How long do you wait after reset, b4 you try to re-start? I repeat the Q, have some of you lost total milage?

No...you don't lose total mileage...the bike just defaults to metric and you loose your trip mileage and rpm light settings/vmax etc. etc.

I suppose...although I'm not convinced...that the battery is a major player in this problem. The crank but no start thing seems to be a random occurance...but it's not always associated with a reset. Just make sure you don't keep cranking on it as the sprag clutch might bust!

Wingspan
02-05-2007, 02:13 AM
Do you really think that I really think you are a liar? And if you do...do you actually care?

What I care about is the quality of this forum and the generally poor condition that it has been allowed to fall into. Why shouldn't I think that you believe we're all liars? You typed it. (unless "you are all full of shit" has another meaning that I'm not aware of) I've given you the courtesy of believing what you say and answering your question honestly. Because you didn't like the answer, you've turned to disrespect. Very immature and ultimately unproductive. Insulting people is never a good way to open a discussion. That you apparently think I'm the bad guy in this only further shows your overall character.

2pist
02-05-2007, 02:35 AM
What I care about is the quality of this forum and the generally poor condition that it has been allowed to fall into. Why shouldn't I think that you believe we're all liars? You typed it. (unless "you are all full of shit" has another meaning that I'm not aware of) I've given you the courtesy of believing what you say and answering your question honestly. Because you didn't like the answer, you've turned to disrespect. Very immature and ultimately unproductive. Insulting people is never a good way to open a discussion. That you apparently think I'm the bad guy in this only further shows your overall character.

Ditto on this one. Is it too difficult to find everone else's truths before making irrational assumptions? I have had one reset in 20,000 miles and that was after a 60 mph lowside turned into a highside into a berm of loamy dirt. I ended up with 4 broken ribs. The bike was full of dirt, the right clip on was broken the pipe was smashed and the right intake duct was broken to bits. I rode it 250 miles back to the truck with the throttle tube in my hand and no front brake. I made it back to the truck and never had another reset. That was 5000 miles ago and I never use a tender.

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 02:41 AM
What I care about is the quality of this forum and the generally poor condition that it has been allowed to fall into.

I don't see how this thread has anything to do with that...but...if you think me calling you "full of shit" is part of that...well...you need to lighten up :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't I think that you believe we're all liars? You typed it. (unless "you are all full of shit" has another meaning that I'm not aware of).

Well, actually, yes it does. It means "I think some of you are either fucking with the poll to be asses - like Infallable - and/or you didn't read the thread and have a different bike and it's not applicable." Aparently you don't do to well with sarcasm.

I've given you the courtesy of believing what you say and answering your question honestly. Because you didn't like the answer, you've turned to disrespect.

Oh please...cry me a river :rolleyes: Do you honestly feel "disrespected". Please. I hope you are able to contorl your feelings a little better in real life.

Very immature and ultimately unproductive. Insulting people is never a good way to open a discussion.

I disagree. I find it very productive. Sometimes you need to stir the pot to get people to spend the time to explain themselves. Most people are lazy and don't post very detailed responses...but when you call them out I've found that they go out of their way to prove their point...which ultimately fosters the knowledge sharing ;) It's nothing personal...just a little technique I've learned over the years :D

That you apparently think I'm the bad guy in this only further shows your overall character.

Not at all. When did I ever say you were a bad guy:confused: Hell...I don't even think you are an ass or a jerk or any of that. I understand how what I said could have been taken the wrong way from somebody who might take themselves a bit too seriously. It's all good.:cheers:

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Well now...2pist is a PRIME case of one of the voters who IS - FULL OF SHIT! And this proves my point as to why I made the comment that I did.

My bike doesn't reset but I devised a diode isolated internally fused capacitor fix that plugged into the fuse box. I sent it to a forum member who's dash reset all the time. He sent it to another member but I never found out wether it worked or not!

He made this comment AFTER voting for option:

"No. I don't know what you are talking about."

When he should have voted:

"Yes I have - but I don't care. " - because of his crash

OR

"No. I performed a modification and it works now." - since he added a cap.

Wingspan
02-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Well now...2pist is a PRIME case of one of the voters who IS - FULL OF SHIT! And this proves my point as to why I made the comment that I did.

He made this comment AFTER voting for option:

"No. I don't know what you are talking about."

When he should have voted:

"Yes I have - but I don't care. " - because of his crash

OR

"No. I performed a modification and it works now." - since he added a cap.

His reset as a result of a crash. Have all your resets come from impacts? It's pretty tough to blame the dash for resetting when you slam a bike into the ground. That's called damage, not a flaky dash. Do you think he should go online and complain this his clip-on snapped as well and scream for a recall? So, IMO he's not full of shit on that point.

Did you actually read his words in your quote? I'm not sure that you did. Nowhere in that quote did he say he performed a mod on his bike. It specifically says that his bike doesn't reset and that he made the mod for someone else who was having a problem. It also said he doesn't even know if the fix worked. Assuming all that is true, the person he made the mod for should confirm his problems in your poll.

There I go, being all sensitive again...:rolleyes:

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 03:05 AM
How could he have helped that guy out if:

No. I don't know what you are talking about was his answer to the poll :confused:

That's my point. He did know about it. He should have picked another option.

Wingspan
02-05-2007, 03:13 AM
How could he have helped that guy out if:

No. I don't know what you are talking about was his answer to the poll :confused:

That's my point. He did know about it. He should have picked another option.

You didn't give us any option to indicate that we knew of the problem, but had never experienced it. If that's your basis of argument, then the problem is that your poll choices are incomplete and/or flawed. :rolleyes:

I knew that some people have had dash resets
My bike has never reset
I did not modify my bike to prevent the problem

Based on that information, please tell me what choice on your poll should I have selected.

2pist
02-05-2007, 03:20 AM
It's pretty obvious that NONE of your ridiculous choices fit my circumstances. If there was a " Beau1k makes no meaningfull contribution to this forum", It would have been my first choice.

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 03:22 AM
You didn't give us any option to indicate that we knew of the problem, but had never experienced it. If that's your basis of argument, then the problem is that your poll choices are incomplete and/or flawed. :rolleyes:

I knew that some people have had dash resets
My bike has never reset
I did not modify my bike to prevent the problem

Based on that information, please tell me what choice on your poll should I have selected.

If that is the case and there is not an option that suites your liking then you should not have voted.

Wingspan
02-05-2007, 03:22 AM
It's pretty obvious that NONE of your ridiculous choices fit my circumstances. If there was a " Beau1k makes no meaningfull contribution to this forum", It would have been my first choice.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Wingspan
02-05-2007, 03:25 AM
If that is the case and there is not an option that suites your liking then you should not have voted.

And you would have even less information. He, and I made an honest attempt to answer your question based on the choices you gave us. If you only wanted to hear from people who have had the problem, why did you include any "no" responses at all?

The words you're looking for are: "Oops, I'm sorry"...but I'm guessing that you'll never be a big enough man to actually say them.

2pist
02-05-2007, 03:28 AM
And you would have even less information. He, and I made an honest attempt to answer your question based on the choices you gave us. If you only wanted to hear from people who have had the problem, why did you include any "no" responses at all?

The words you're looking for are: "Oops, I'm sorry"...but I'm guessing that you'll never be a big enough man to actually say them.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 03:31 AM

Obviously you have NO idea what you are talking about.

I organize rides and get Aprilia owners together on just about every weekend.

I constantly point newbies towards AF1's online store WITH hyperlinks.

I always go out of my way to help another member if I can...whether it be with links or advice etc. Sure...probably 75% of my posts are for fun or just bullshitting...but so what:confused:

At least I'm not full of shit...vote one way and actually know about the problem. Usually when somebody does not see an option that they agree with and still votes...they have the courtesy to mention it in their post.

LIKE...

"I voted for X option because it was the closest option to my situation. Actually...I know of X but I have never had the problem."

Beau1K
02-05-2007, 03:32 AM

OOPS! I'm sorry you lied. :D - Just fucking with you dude...settle down...get some sleep.

t1n0m3n
02-05-2007, 07:35 PM

:plus::plus:

godandcountry
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I have had it happen about 4 times in the last year and a half on my 2000.5 model. A bit annoying, but I think the Scottsman said he swapped the regulator from a Ducati Monster. I would like to know which part number or Monster model that came off of, would be interested in changing mine out. I know my voltage is low , even while running, so that seems to be the best fix.

LUCKY DAVE
02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
When mine started doing it, I changed the battery and the starter relay (for the Yamaha quad unit that fits) and the problem went away. Beau, I told you I'd help you with yours, just ride it down here........

X-CBR MAN
02-07-2007, 09:14 PM

Aeroxide, Anders J., ARAIHEAD, Asgardeh, auldy, AzIrish, badmotorscooter, Batfastard, bbluemm, Bill in OKC, bramo, CarlosT, cave9269, chris123, commandodave, COS Mille, Craigdb, deboRSV, Eastriding2002, El Gato Rosso, Elridor, evandewan, FactoryFun, Frazzermac, freezer-geezer, galloway840, GonzoPriller, Gtrain, guised, hank, Infallible, jimuk, jmarnell, joeybeppy, john in sweden, keithcar, K^2, l8-apex, mikeyyc, mitsu, mohawk, mossback, mrhyde, muppet, ninja_fox, novos, ogomer, p700, peltilelu, Quickbrit, QUICKSILVER, RaiderSix, RDBUL, rmandzij, rsvandanexc, seeker, SkiN, spencer, Steve Hunt, stevo, Thunderstorm, TRexRacing, twin4me, TxAg07, Unobtanium, VR-8, WEEErs50, Wingspan

The reset the 04 and up are experiencing is the odo reseting, all years exhibit a common malady of resetting the easily set f/c clock ect.....
Hopefully I didn't miss some thing but I couldn't handle reading every single sentence in every post:)

Beau1K
02-07-2007, 09:43 PM
When mine started doing it, I changed the battery and the starter relay (for the Yamaha quad unit that fits) and the problem went away. Beau, I told you I'd help you with yours, just ride it down here........

OK...what's that Yamaha part #...do you know? Also maybe we can tweak the suspension too :)

Thanks! :cheers:

LUCKY DAVE
02-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Yamaha part # 4KD-81-940-00
It plugs right in to the existing harness, and the rubber mount is even the same. The stock relay is rated for 50 amps, the Yamaha part is rated for 100 amps. I changed the battery at the same time, and payed attention to cleaning/greasing/tightening the connections. No more dash resets, and it powers an electric vest with no strain.

AmareAprilia
02-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I got my Aprilia about 7 weeks ago and the dash reset on me several times in the first 2 weeks of ownership. Annoying, but I knew beforehand it was a common problem. But since then, I've consciously babied it and haven't had a reset in almost a month.

I always keep the battery on the tender. And now I always open the choke fully when starting from a cold engine, even though it's never been that cold since I live in the Sonoran Desert and keep it garaged in my living room. As long as I follow these procedures, the bike starts on the first try, and I haven't had any problems.

The last time the dash reset was my fault. I started up as usual and rode off but closed the choke too early. The coolant temp was only up to about 110F. The engine died at a stop sign and when I tried to start again, the dash reset and the bike wouldn't start at all. I had to push it about 2 blocks home. But after sitting on the charger for 30 minutes, I tried again and it fired right up.

They are definitely finicky. Something with the electrical appears to be under-engineered. But the method I'm using now works well enough. Your mileage may very. :)

PSUCJ
02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
IThey are definitely finicky. Something with the electrical appears to be under-engineered. But the method I'm using now works well enough. Your mileage may very. :)

You are exactly correct. The problem is the wire harness & connectors. There is nothing wrong with the ECU or the dash. The wire harness & connectors between the battery, voltage regulator and generator are inefficient and generate an excessive amount of heat due to the resistance the harness provides due to its inadequacy to carry the current required to run the machine. Eventually the heat melts the connectors and may allow them to short out. Another side effect is that the starter solenoid fails prematurely. Soldering the connectors and adding wire to the system solves the problem.