PDA

View Full Version : How many Aprilia's are made each year?

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I was wondering if anybody has any info on how many bikes of each model Aprilia is able to pump out of the factory each year? I suppose that might be changing soon, but nevertheless...still wondering...anybody know? I'm also trying to understand what % of the market share the US represents for Aprilia.

MarcV
03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Why? Are you doing a thesis?

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Inquiring minds wanna know!:cheers:

MarcV
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I know that the factory can produce 2,500 units a day at peak production. I know that in the late '90's and early 2000's they were producing over 300,000 Scooters alone, annually.

This is off of the Aprilia website...

"In ten years, Aprilia had grown dramatically. Between 1969 and 1979, annual production of mopeds had risen from 150 to 12,000 units and in just four years, motorcycle production exceeded the 2,000 units/year mark."

"The company’s Logistics Centre is also based in Noale. The Centre occupies an area of nearly 70,000 square metres (31,000 of which are indoors). The nearby town of Santa Maria di Sala is home to Customer Service, the organisation that manages Aprilia’s after sales service to dealers and customers, no mean task considering that there are about 2 million Aprilia motorcycles on the roads of the world today."

"On the 30th December 2004, Aprilia and Moto Guzzi were purchased in their entirety by Piaggio (headed by chairman Roberto Colaninno, managing director Rocco Sabelli, and executive director Gianclaudio Neri) to form the biggest two-wheeler manufacturing group in Europe and the fourth biggest in the world, with a turnover of 1.5 billion Euros, a production capacity of over 600,000 vehicles a year, and an established presence in 50 countries all over the world."

Does this help?

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Ya...thanks! I guess it's probably impossible to guess how many sportbikes they pumped out...like how many rotax 990's are on the road. I guess what I'm really wondering is:

- how many came to the US?

- how many went to other countries?

What % of the marketshare do we represent?

MarcV
03-28-2006, 10:46 PM
What % of the marketshare do we represent?

% of what? There's many ways to slice the pie. Do you want to know...% of Sportbikes in the US, where Aprilia has an existing dealer? Overall marketshare including all Aprilia vehicles?

That's a tough one to answer because only the OEM's get the data from the MIC. The MIC doesn't make it public knowledge.

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 10:51 PM
% of what? There's many ways to slice the pie. Do you want to know...% of Sportbikes in the US, where Aprilia has an existing dealer? Overall marketshare including all Aprilia vehicles?
That's a tough one to answer because only the OEM's get the data from the MIC. The MIC doesn't make it public knowledge.

No, I mean like let's say Aprilia makes 100,000 Tuonos. How many come here and how many stay overseas?

MarcV
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
ooh, that is tough, sorry man can't really help you there. I know they had small numbers on the limited Tuono's...

2003 Tuono R (the original)
200 global, 50 US

2003 Tuono Racing (included extra set of racing body work and slip on pipe)
~75 US

2004 Tuono Factory (yellow number plates, white wheels)
~75 US

2005 Tuono Factory (white number plates, blue wheels)
~65 US

Not sure on the standard models, sorry.

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 11:01 PM
all good...thanks for your help...just curious mostly...I get the feeling that most of the bikes stay overseas.

MarcV
03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
yeah, the US is important but all the sales come from Italy, Germany & the UK.

oh yeah, and Spain.

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 11:04 PM
I'd like to see that change...and I think Piaggio would too. Seems Piaggio is making a big push to get a lot of scooters over here...hopefully they'll have room for more sports bikes on that boat!

MarcV
03-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah, me too, but it's tough because the scooters are what makes the company money, always have (at least Aprilia). Piaggio is into some industrial stuff with engines and some funky utility vehicles. I think this 'agreement' with Arctic Cat is to set the stage for an IPO. If so I hope that it will prove to be beneficial in the long run.

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Ya, I'd buy a piece. They are #4 in the world...you know that's going to grow as they square their asses away!

MarcV
03-28-2006, 11:13 PM
We can all have dreams...I just hope that theirs isn't to make a quick buck and bail. I bought into Duc when they went and what a turd that turned out to be.

Beau1K
03-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Isn't Ducati like $50 million in the hole or something now?

MarcV
03-28-2006, 11:44 PM
yeah, don't remind me...:bangwall:

hank
03-29-2006, 08:20 AM
I remember reading in either Bike, Ride or Performance Bike that somewhere around 2002 or 2003, the Mille was outselling the Ducati 996 based on new bike registrations.

mikeyyc
03-29-2006, 12:48 PM
There are 93 RSVR (both factory and R) in Canada. The number comes from the govt. when the swinger recall was registered. Have no idea on the number of Capos. It would be considerably less though. I would imagine about 50, tops.

gtpandrsvrguy
03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I just read that dicati will be releasing a $8000 1000cc track bike at mass quanities to try and make up for there debt. These bikes will not be street leagal, but can be converted for those who want it for casual use.

Cut all the corners and make a cheap basic bike? I bet they are gonna end up like Bimota. Sad.

Beau1K
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
You know what irks me is that Ducati has all the name recognition here in the states and Aprilia has zero! :WTF: is that all about. I like the fact that everybody has no idea what I'm riding and thinks it's an exotic...but there are a lot of them and they have been here a while.

mfbRSV
03-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I just read that dicati will be releasing a $8000 1000cc track bike at mass quanities to try and make up for there debt. These bikes will not be street leagal, but can be converted for those who want it for casual use.

Cut all the corners and make a cheap basic bike? I bet they are gonna end up like Bimota. Sad.

It's a DS1000 SS with the street body work but sans lights, signals, mirrors...or warranty. They were only supposed to have 30 units for sale in the US. Must have sold them all because it's not on their site anymore, but it was a couple of weeks ago. $8K is not a bad deal for a new 1 liter bike.

LB1
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't know about $50m in the hole, but Ducati North America posted an 80%sales increase for Jan '06. Ducati North America took growth to all-time highs by exploring untapped market segments with several other new bikes. By expanding the popular Monster line-up with the powerful and affordable Monster S2R and Monster S2R1000 introductions, Ducati North America dispelled the notion of only being a superbike manufacturer. The work introducing the easy-riding Multistrada 620 only affirmed the company’s new commitment to growth.

Ducati North America’s landmark year in 2005 and successes early in 2006 are evidenced by a 56-percent overall increase in total Ducati sales for the last six months according to data published by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC). Other notable statistics include Ducati North America eclipsing fellow European brands BMW and Triumph in on-highway sales and market share for the month. Solid growth in sales of their 501-750cc sport bike category also posted an impressive 140-percent gain compared to the same time last year.

MarcV
04-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Here is what a quick profile looks like for Ducati.

Company Type Public (NYSE: DMH [ADR]; Italian: DMH)
Fiscal Year-End December
2004 Sales (mil.) $518.5
1-Year Sales Growth 6.2%
2004 Net Income (mil.) ($10.6)
2004 Employees 1,139
1-Year Employee Growth (2.0%)

So, they are selling more vehicles but losing money. I'm sure it's all in their way of how they file their accounting, but they also did this last year...

Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. says it signed a loan for Euro 100 million ($127.81 million) on May 9 that was, in part, used to pay a bond which matured May 31.

The financing agreement, organized by Unicredit Banca Mobiliare, was funded by Unicredit Banca d'Impresa, Banca Intesa, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Carisbo, Fortis Bank, Monte dei Paschi di Siena and Banca Popolare di Bergamo.

The loan involves a credit line for a total of Euro 63.6 million, which matures 5 years from the date of the contract's signing; and a revolving credit line for a total of Euro 36.4 million with a one-year renewable expiry date.

Ducati says the financing was used to repay the outstanding Euro 54.2 million of a Euro 100 million bond that matured May 31, 2005; plus other requirements related to the company's working capital, including Ducati Corse's payment of last year's "Ducati Corse" brand purchase.

Read the full article here (http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/article/454506-1.html)

LB1, not sure how you are getting MIC data, it's supposed to only be supplied to OEM's. Your post sounds like a Ducati press release.

:cheers:

RDBUL
04-06-2006, 08:37 AM
In 2004 Canada received 30 units( 10 factory & 20 rsvr) This # came from the company ( barrett) that was bringing them into the country. Not sure about the # for 2005. In 2006 the bikes have not arrived. Some time in June I have been told. As for the total #, in 2004 apriliaproduced 7000 units of the rsvr. Of these 7000 only 30 % were to be the factory model. I read these numbers back in Dec 2003 in Italia bike mag, the one that is no longer in publication.:burnout:

minxymears
04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Ducati will also be bringing out a 1200cc twin to compete in WSB, but thats not as exciting as the prospect of an Aprilia 1000cc V4 to run alongside the mille and run in WSB!!!
:gunner: Ducati :happy:
i do like the styling of that duc though, gone back to the iconic 916/998 looks

Italijet
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
You know what irks me is that Ducati has all the name recognition here in the states and Aprilia has zero! :WTF: is that all about. I like the fact that everybody has no idea what I'm riding and thinks it's an exotic...but there are a lot of them and they have been here a while.

Ducati has a world wide name associated with WSB (Thanks to Carl Foggarty and others winning a few titles for them). Just goes to show how much race wins and trophies go to getting a brand into a household name, even when the product isn't the best (IMHO).

Jambo
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Guy I work with bought a brand new 1098S last year. That's a lot of loot to shell out on one bike.

He had problems with the electrics and the headlight cutting out when the bike was only a few months old. The second time he got the bike back from the dealer after it supposedly being fixed the first time, he was on his way home at night doing about 30mph around a bend on a narrow country lane when the haedlight cut out again effectively leaving him blind. A car coming the other way almost didn't see him and nearly took him out.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 1098 is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen in the flesh, but I won't be buying a Ducati anytime soon.

MrFeetZ
02-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Sad to hear that. It's never good when a new bike, regardless of mfg breaks so soon after getting one. I ended up with two new ducs this past year, a 999s and 1098 and have had no problems with either. On the other hand, after getting my Aprilia new back in 04 it was back at the shop within a month due to rear break going out. It happens sometimes. But, I didnt beat Aprila up about it. It got fixed, (and was back a few more times as well with same issue).

I did have major issue with Aprilia when when I was just a couple weeks out of warranty when I had another issue pop up. I thought it was kinda lame for a company that big not to even offer some sort of assistance or discount when i was just a 16 days past warranty. :WTF:

Guy I work with bought a brand new 1098S last year. That's a lot of loot to shell out on one bike.

He had problems with the electrics and the headlight cutting out when the bike was only a few months old. The second time he got the bike back from the dealer after it supposedly being fixed the first time, he was on his way home at night doing about 30mph around a bend on a narrow country lane when the haedlight cut out again effectively leaving him blind. A car coming the other way almost didn't see him and nearly took him out.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 1098 is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen in the flesh, but I won't be buying a Ducati anytime soon.

kiwi_mike
02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
New Aprilia Registrations (over 60cc) in New Zealand for 2006 were: 122 or 1.271% market share.
2005=91
2004=102
2003=63
2002=46
2001=48

Source:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/statistics/motor-vehicle-registration/2006/table-22.html

kiwi_mike
02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
The NZ figures include ex-overseas reregistration.

kiwi_mike
02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE
I did have major issue with Aprilia when when I was just a couple weeks out of warranty when I had another issue pop up. I thought it was kinda lame for a company that big not to even offer some sort of assistance or discount when i was just a 16 days past warranty. :WTF:[/QUOTE]

I had a '99 Triumph Daytona that started burning LOTS of oil two months out of warranty. The dealer and Triumph stood the $6k fix (new head, pistons, and piston sleeves). I only had to pay $45 sundries.