PDA

View Full Version : Iron Butt Dennis on his way

rons
08-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Well they're off. Dennis is the only Aprilia rider in the field. He's hoping that the bike will take him to the finish. He lost a couple of body work screws on the way out to the start in Misoula. If anyone is going to be at one of the checkpoints bring some extras for him.

Temps were in the high 90's in Idaho and Montana when I went over yesterday and they are are headed for even hotter regions on the first leg. Good luck to all of them.

Dennis with his bike almost loaded. That thing on the back seat is his fuel cell:

bmyates
08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Best wishes for a safe and successful ride! Hope the Capo does the job for you! I know there are several LTs (BMW K1200LT) in the group and the LT community always follows the IB rally with great interest. It's exciting to see a Capo attempting it!

Bruce Yates
Sunny Seattle
'02 psycho red Caponord
'00 BMW K1200LT

buck000
08-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Bon Voyage, Dennis...!

I've been crowing about another rider taking a Futura around, but I guess that fell through. :(

Go, Iron Butt Aprilia!

QUICKSILVER
08-12-2003, 07:21 AM
A safe and successfull journey Dennis. Cheers to you!

Charleetho
08-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Speaking of fire, Dennis ("Sparky") Kesseler saw enough of
it this morning to last him a lifetime. He and Paul Taylor had just bagged the large bonus in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, the home of some of the oldest living things on Earth. Kesseler suddenly noticed that both he and his Aprilia Capo Nord were on fire. He jumped away from the flaming machine and rolled in the dirt to extinguish himself. The bike's tank then exploded. A moment later his four-gallon fuel cell also erupted. A ball
of blistering, stinking, black smoke shot high into the air. Could
Kesseler's day possibly get any worse?
Yes. Before he could regain his footing, flames from the
bike started a brush fire. Think of it: For 4,500 years those aged trees have withstood everything the planet could throw at them --- rain, hail, lightning, snow, and sandstorms. Then an Iron Butt rider shows up on his blazing steed. The horror, the horror.
Fortunately for everyone, the fires were quickly
controlled. Dennis headed for Los Angeles in a rental car to borrow a bike and rejoin the rally. He was time-barred at the checkpoint tonight, lost all the points he had accumulated during the first leg (including the points in the bristlecone forest), and will be barred from chasing any bonus points on the next leg. Then it gets worse: Changing machines in mid-rally invokes a 10,000-point penalty. When Dennis arrives at the second checkpoint in Florida in a few days, his total score will be
-10,000. It is the rare and nightmarish triple crown of Iron Butt
disasters. And it's no wonder those old trees have lived so long;
they always get the last laugh.

Charlie T
00 Pegaso

rons
08-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Charleetho
Kesseler suddenly noticed that both he and his Aprilia Capo Nord were on fire. He jumped away from the flaming machine and rolled in the dirt to extinguish himself. The bike's tank then exploded. A moment later his four-gallon fuel cell also erupted. A ball
of blistering, stinking, black smoke shot high into the air.

I just saw this, what a bummer. He said he had to presurize the fuel cell to get gas to feed into the tank. I wonder if the fittings developed a leak. Bye-bye Capo...

QUICKSILVER
08-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Sorry to here about this. I am glad he is ok and still on his way. I sure hope it wasn't those cheesy plastic quick connects under the tank. Good luck on the balance of the rally.
QS

Stu_O
08-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Good grief! I hope he's okay. Glad I didn't ride 300 miles to cheer him on at the Cal/Nevada border.

I hate to say this, but it appears he may have sabotaged himself with his home-brewed aux fuel system. Oh well, as long as he isn't seriously injured. There's always next year.

Stu

rons
08-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Stu_O
I hate to say this, but it appears he may have sabotaged himself with his home-brewed aux fuel system. Oh well, as long as he isn't seriously injured. There's always next year.

Stu

Parhaps not. I just heard that Dennis thinks it may have been related to the Coil. We will have to wait until he gets back to hear the whole story.

bob of fl
08-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Of course its not his jerry rigged fuel system! It has to be a coil that arced and set fire to the magnesium/aluminum frame.

Please, it sounds as if a fuel leak developed, ignited, engulfed bike and rider, then continued on its destructive path.

I hope the rider recovers from this misfortune to do the next Iron Butt.

Garp
08-21-2003, 12:09 PM
While I have never seen his Fuel System, I do know that the tech inspection prior to the Iron Butt is extensive, and they pay close attention to auxiliary fuel tanks. If it made it past that inspection, it was NOT "jerry-rigged"

I would be interested in hearing how he set up his system, as this is an addition I have been considering. My current plan is to add a 4 Gallon tank with a small fuel pump, and tap into the fuel return line that goes from the injectors back into the tank. When the low fuel light comes on, I turn on the pump, and push the fuel into the main tank. It may be possible to just have a gravity fed system, but I'm guessing Dennis tried that and it didn't work.

Stu_O
08-21-2003, 01:51 PM
That sounds like the way to go, Garp. From what rons said, Dennis pressurized the aux tank, which would be a definite no-no. If he hooked to the return side, I doubt the aux tank would hold the pressure he applied. It'd just bleed into the main tank and out the cap vent...oh, oh.

Pointless speculation, to be sure, but I agree it's not likely one of the coils set the bike and the rider on fire. Coils overheat, they go dead, end of story. But fuel purging from a flooded evap system and spashing on a red-hot exhaust pipe? That's a contender. Sometimes our egos force us to overlook the obvious.

rons
08-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Stu_O
That sounds like the way to go, Garp. From what rons said, Dennis pressurized the aux tank, which would be a definite no-no. If he hooked to the return side, I doubt the aux tank would hold the pressure he applied.

Actually, I don't think he pressurized the aux tank. He had a fuel pump that pumped from the aux into the main. The gravity system did not work.

Stu_O
08-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post above, rons. You said "He said he had to presurize the fuel cell to get gas to feed into the tank." I saw no mention of any transfer pump.

Shows you what speculation is usually worth LOL!

Stu