PDA

View Full Version : BRNO Predictions

Fox
08-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Ah well it's that time again .. your predictions for the BRNO gp coming up this weekend. Do you see any reason why the team will do better here? The new chassi perhaps? Or do you think it's all over until next year for the Aprilia boys?

I think the Ducatis will do well on this fast circuit and I think Rossi will be using the new pipes on the Honda ..

I will go for Edwards 8th and Nori 11th.

http://motogp.tiscali.com/en/motogp/index.htm for the circuit

and this from Aprilia.com

Marcellino Lucchi

"We are verifying on the new frame that Edwards and Haga had already took in the competition. The new geometries impose us some modifications in order to obtain a better balance. We have also an ongoing evolution in the electronics”.

The checks on MotoGP’s tracks underline a continuous growth of the motorbike: you’ve seen the bike from its birth, what can you say about that ?
“ Till this point of the season we don’t have yet the results we expected. On the tracks with which Edwards had already a good feeling we showed that we were able to be with the leaders. If we look at the timing we discover that in one second more than twelve pilots can be found and we are among them. The gap is getting smaller and we need also a little more luck. We can’t say till now that we had good luck helping us. “

Starting from Brno Gp, than, you might have some satisfaction.
“It’s possible, but the last word is to be said by the track. This motorbikes are so delicate, that even the smallest oil loss may alter totally performance’ parameters. That’s what we are trying to do: improve the little troubles we’ve found out.”

Is the development process going on parallel to the definition of the motorbike for the next year ?

“Yes, we think about the Cube 2004 trying to solve the more immediate troubles. After the new chassis for the new year, heavy engine modifications should be produced. This should be the crucial step for the Cube, that will enable us to fight constantly with the first five.”

jng1226
08-11-2003, 01:20 PM
That's Aprilia's problem for the rest of the season. Most teams were new this year, and everyone else is going to be improving as well. So unless Aprilia makes some quantum leap - which I think is unlikely this year - the Yamaha teams will keep filling out the top 10 after Honda and Ducati. Aprilia has less money than any of the Jap teams, so I would say that Suzuki and Kawasaki have more chances of turning their seasons around.

Sorry to say, but I think Aprilia will be completely out of contention for the rest of the year. Colin 12th, Nori 15th or DNF.

Ty
08-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by jng1226
That's Aprilia's problem for the rest of the season. Most teams were new this year, and everyone else is going to be improving as well. So unless Aprilia makes some quantum leap - which I think is unlikely this year - the Yamaha teams will keep filling out the top 10 after Honda and Ducati. Aprilia has less money than any of the Jap teams, so I would say that Suzuki and Kawasaki have more chances of turning their seasons around.

While this may be true, the further behind the bleeding edge you are, the bigger the steps ahead you can make. Since Honda has the best bike, they will be unwilling to make big changes that might risk screwing up the bike. They will make small, tested, incremental changes that they hope will be enough to keep them ahead of Ducati (the closest competitive bike). Aprilia, and all the rest of the hangers on, can take the bigger risks in hopes of getting closer to perfection. Of course, it takes some smart engineers to find the right change, but Colin is definitely a rider that can point them in the right direction. It is disappointing that they haven't made much progress. Their engineers may be too far out of their league since Aprilia doesn't have an established 4 stroke design competency.

If they can get it close to getting it right, Colin is a good enough rider to get them a podium.

dowzerr
08-11-2003, 03:25 PM
biaggi will win,
edwards DNF
haga 13th.

ZeroTwoRSV
08-11-2003, 08:58 PM
I can't imagine Aprilia doing well with a new set-up first race. Maybe we should look for improving or consistent lap times instead. I think both riders will finish the race. Haga really needs to before he changes his name to Xaus-san.

Biaggi will DNF trying to outride Val
Sete will place
I'm thinking Proton or Baylis for last step

Haga 9th
Hayden 10th
Edwards 12th

bob of fl
08-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Lost at Ducati
by dean adams (2000)
I found myself lost at Ducati once.

Coming back from the after lunch cafeteria in Bologna, I saw someone I knew and stopped to chat, and the guy who had taken me to lunch had to get back to his office. He just told me to walk down to Corse when I finished my conversation.

"You know the way back, of course," he asked and said simultaneously, while walking away.

Of course.

Starting out after him only several minutes later, after a few wrong turns, I realized the correct answer should have been of course not. In three minutes I was hopelessly lost.

I pushed on, down old hallways, up flights of stairs, away from the sounds of the assembly line. Finally, through swinging doors I saw light and walked through the open door of some woman's office. Unknowingly, I barged right in, just grateful to have found another human being with a hopefully operational telephone.

She spoke no English and me not a bit of Italian, but with enough gestures on my part, she realized I was lost, and picked up the phone.

While she dialed Corse to have someone come and rescue me, I looked around at her office. Rectangular in shape, it was quite sparsely decorated, with only a desk, and two chairs as furniture, but still nice in an Italian minimalist sense.

I looked at her. She was in her late 40s, somebody's mom no doubt, but dressed to the nines as all Italian women are any time they go out in public. Pressed jacket, vest, starched white shirt, gold bracelet and necklace hung from her body. Her make-up had been applied with the same precsion an American woman would have used?on her wedding day.

Judging from the spreadsheets on the Italian woman's computer screen, I assumed she was some sort of accountant at Ducati, and her job required silence, as she was far away from where most of the business offices are located.

As we waited for someone from Corse to rescue me, there was a wall of respectful silence between us. I continued to look around her office, gesturing for her to go back to work.

On the wall behind the desk of this 40 year old female accountant at Ducati, in her sparsely decorated office, there were only two pictures hanging. They were both the same size and were hung at about eye level if you sat at her desk, which she did most of the day, I assume. They were all she had to look at, and must have been very important to her, both images had been profesionally framed, and hung perfectly straight.

One was a print of Jesus Christ on the cross, painted, it looked like, by El Greco, with the eyes of Christ looking up, enlarged, pleading ? 'Why Father ? '

And the other was of Carl Fogarty. At speed, looked like at Assen or Hockenhiem, big number one plate on the front of the bike, out of focus crowd of competitors behind him, trying to chase him down.

Foggy and Jesus. I smiled. She looked back at her pictures, smiled too.

That, in a nutshell is how racing is perceived by nearly everyone who works at Ducati. From Corraddo Chechinelli down in the engine labs, to Federico Minoli on the BoD, to the twenty-somethings on the assembly line to the 40 year old matron-like accountants buried back in the bowels of the old buildings, racing is not just an activity they partake in to add to their marketing endevors or to help build a brand, it is who they are. Ducati makes motorcycles that are raced. They have been succesful in racing because from the very start, because the entire company is behind the racing team, and minor political batles aside, if the racing department needs something, they get it. No one in the company wants to see them lose. There is total commitment at Ducati to racing. That they are succesful at it should come as no surprise, they have made the commitment, they have allocated the resources, they put no internal obsticles in the way of the Superbike(or GP) team winning races.

Simply put Aprilia needs focus and commitment. Both to the GP team and the US market.

jng1226
08-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by bob of fl
Lost at Ducati
by dean adams (2000)

Thanks for posting that Bob, that is a beautiful article. Dean Adams can certainly write well, which is probably why AMASuperbike.com is still around!

I love to bash Ducati as much (if not more) than the next guy, but I have to admit that they walk the walk. So much so that their successes in racing are starting to sway me to the brand. This new V-4 Ducati is quite intriguing...

bob of fl
08-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Ride what you choose. My post isn't to say buy Ducati but rather Mr. Beggio, wake up, your neighbor and arch competitor is kicking your ass because of testing and resources. If you would put more effort into supporting the US customers you would have the sales and presence to find a great US sponsor to out gun Ducati and others because the simple fact is it costs lots of money to beat Honda. Mr. Beggio, you need bigger artillery, we make that s*** here in the USA with companies with way more marketing $$$ than Alice and her rainbow skirt.

suedboy
08-13-2003, 02:11 AM
Poetry.
Mr Beggio, are you listening?

Bill in OKC
08-13-2003, 12:18 PM
It feels like the manufacturers have reduced their support for real-world riders on real-world machines since they have gone ga-ga over MotoGP. MotoGP first and then they'll toss us a bone. If Aprilia wants the American market to finance GP they need AMA superbike.

ZeroTwoRSV
08-13-2003, 05:51 PM
Couldn't agree more. Every time we stop someone has to ask "What" or "How" or "Who". Although it does add some mystique to the cycle, it also hurts sales and recognition. Although too many people do not watch AMA racing, I think the fact that they are there would make a huge difference. Even coming in 3rd for the year would create its own advertising.

Smoke Eater
08-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Aprilia does kind of crap all over us Americans. They still don't ship to the US from their online shop. We really aren't a very big market to tap I guess. :mad:

Fox
08-14-2003, 11:42 PM
http://www.racingaprilia.com/dati/foto_mag_head_294_1060874365.jpg

From Aprilia.com

READY FOR THE RETURN MATCH

After the summer break the MotoGP circus is ready to transfer his equipments to Brno (Czech Republic) for the 10th round of the season. This is a renowned race with a big crowd since the thirties. A fast and exciting track and a classic circuit which has been redesigned in the eighties still maintains its fascination like a “real” race track not created with a computer system.

There’s a big expectation for the Alice Aprilia Racing Team very motivated. After many technical experiments made in order to improve the performance of the RS Cube now the team has got a solid technical base including new regulations for the suspensions tested by Marcellino Lucchi during some private tests. The holiday is over for Colin and Nori…

GIGI DALL’IGNA (Project Leader): “We already tested in Brno achieving good results so I am expecting a positive performance. Anyway during the break we worked hard checking all the details of the first part of the season. So our bikes are more balanced than the past. There’s no important innovation and a few changes on the setting. I am satisfied about Lucchi’s work during the tests: he worked especially on the suspensions system giving us a good setting for this GP. Anyway we will keep on working after the race as we are going to test next Monday with a new tyre supplied by Michelin”.

THE TRACK
Brno: lenght 5.403 metres, equal to 3,357 miles
Lap record: Daijiro Kato (Honda); 2’00”605.
2002 Pole : Max Biaggi (Yamaha); 1’59”646.

Fox
08-15-2003, 04:46 AM
It's kinda meaningless but just watching live practice at BRNO and Edwards finished Number one ...!

The first qualifying is on in about 2 hours so see what happens then ..

ZeroTwoRSV
08-15-2003, 09:39 AM
And we're falling, but still only about 2 seconds behind, for a qualifying. Maybe this is the track where that HP can shine?

dowzerr
08-15-2003, 11:11 AM
what did I say before?
Biaggi is awesome at this track.
He will win for sure.

tallikat
08-15-2003, 11:57 AM
To back up what Fox said:

Edwards, Bayliss top morning practice!

Colin Edwards surprised the MotoGP paddock in Brno this morning by setting the pace in free practice by 0.228secs from fellow former World Superbike star Troy Bayliss.

However, lap times were around six seconds slower than optimum due to a damp circuit, but the pair's performance was still impressive and is sure to give them a welcome boost ahead of this afternoon's first qualifying session.

Behind the top two by some 0.6sec swas 'super smooth' Shinya Nakano, the D'Antin Yamaha rider holding off pre-event favourite Biaggi by a tenth. Meanwhile, Valentino Rossi was left down in ninth - with Sete Gibernau just 18th.

However, with the track drying rapidly, few riders looked prepared to set their machines up specifically for the conditions - given that this afternoon's session looks like it'll be totally dry circuit - although the 25 rider will now go into that session 'blind'.

Notable performances in the tricky conditions came from rookies Nicky Hayden and Ryuichi Kiyonari - the American putting his Repsol Honda fifth, behind Biaggi, while the Japanese was 12th fastest.

Morning practice:

1. Edwards
2. Bayliss
3. Nakano
4. Biaggi
5. Hayden
6. Barros
7. Capirossi
8. Melandri
9. Rossi
10. McWiliams
11. Jacque
12. Kiyonari
13. Checa
14. Ukawa
15. McCoy
16. Roberts
17. Tamada
18. Gibernau
19. Pitt
20. Haga
21. Hopkins
22. Hofmann
23. Burns
24. Aoki
25. de Gea

Rossifumi
08-15-2003, 02:56 PM
I hope they figure this out quickly...

Will Colin sign with aprilia next year after all his negative experiences????

COLIN EDWARDS: “There’s nothing to do, I am not able to push as I like with this chattering problem. In the corners the bike starts to jump and I am not abel to maintain my pace. It’s a pity cause the corners are very long and unfailing here. We must solve this situation immediately”

GIGI DALL’IGNA (Project Leader): “Unfortunately we still have some chattering problems. We had the same problem during the tests last July but the situation is worse now. We need to work hard in order to find the solution quickly and we are now checking the information we achieved in the last period”.

LAP TIMES:
1 Biaggi (Honda) 1’59”520
2 Rossi (Honda) 1’59”708
3 Capirossi (Ducati) 1’59”739
4 Ukawa (Honda) 2’00”338
..15 Edwards (Aprilia) 2’01”505
..20 Haga (Aprilia) 2’02”498

Fox
08-17-2003, 08:13 PM
I think I'll give up for this year on Aprilia and just cheer on the Ducatis ....

dowzerr
08-18-2003, 06:41 AM
Edwards and Hodgson on D'Antin Ducati's next year?