PDA

View Full Version : Cycle World March p33

ZeroTwoRSV
02-19-2006, 01:16 PM
No wonder Aprilia (Piaggio) is in trouble. Do they realize we don't really ride scooters here in the states??? Not that I wouldn't want one, and not that we shouldn't be riding more of them, I actually think it would be very cool and much more environmentally friendly - as least in terms of gas mileage - but how about a crankin' Tuono add instead?

TxAg07
02-19-2006, 03:32 PM
i take it you don't live in a college town, eh? We got plenty of 'em here in College Station, but I hear over there in Austin (TX) they run amuck.

X-CBR MAN
02-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Scooters out the cazoo here and they get CW allso.

Brenda H.
02-20-2006, 09:21 PM
i take it you don't live in a college town, eh? We got plenty of 'em here in College Station, but I hear over there in Austin (TX) they run amuck.

I Agree! Even Texas A&M bought 6 Beo 150's awhile back! :happy:

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
We are weeks away from doing our best to turn New Braunfels into a scooting town. This year will see a big ramp up in Aprilia ads. They just got all thier new marketing staff more or less in place and I bet soon there are a lot more. The previous/present marketing guru at Aprilia USA got so many "placements" I was always amazed and many of them are still going! Remember all those Maxxis Tire ads? I spent about forever in the airports/planes this weekend and read all of the bike mags I could buy. I saw a Futura used to show off some sort of product, Tuonos, RSV's etc used as marketing vehicles for other products. These "placements" are brilliant in my mind, I smile every time I see one!

vsgofast
02-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Just noticed that Aprilia just updated their website. The Factory and the updated RSV are now in the lineup. Looking at the line up I'm beginning to drool. If Piaggio can get the infrastructure in the US straightened up I may be a new owner of an '06. Time to save those pennies...

ZeroTwoRSV
02-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, I'll look at this as good news then. On the way positive is that they are indeed advertising and also use "placement products", so that is cool :cool:

On the downside (for me at least) is I would like to see some of ad for an actual motorcycle, even one of those teaser ads they place on their website, for the upcoming WSBK '07 effort <insert fingers crossed emoticon here>

I'm happy that many places are (beccoming) not just scooter friendly, but scooter based, that is good news for the next decade in my book.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Got the new Sport Rider magazine today....check page 20 for a placement and 21 for a real advertisment.

tacocabanaboy
02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I've been talking to the guys at </other Austin Area Aprilia Dealer /> over here in Austin. Last year they were the largest Aprilia dealer in North America by volume. 90% of their business is scooters. They're located downtown, and mostly sell to downtown Austin Yuppies and DINKs (Dual Income, No Kids).

You can't knock it, its a huge business.

tacocabanaboy
02-21-2006, 08:51 PM
My apologies to our gracious AF1 hosts for previously mentioning the name of the "other Austin Area Aprilia Dealer". My only point is: they made a money in 2005 selling scooters...

I've been talking to the guys at </other Austin Area Aprilia Dealer /> over here in Austin. Last year they were the largest Aprilia dealer in North America by volume. 90% of their business is scooters. They're located downtown, and mostly sell to downtown Austin Yuppies and DINKs (Dual Income, No Kids).

You can't knock it, its a huge business.

clarkie49
02-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Are you sure they were the largest Aprilia 'volume' dealer in the US in 2005?

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
No problem...Mototek puts a lot of scooters out on the streets and have a very "niche" location downtown that is probably perfect for the scooter business.