PDA

View Full Version : Italy visit, factory tours?

rhansen162
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Just found out I'll be heading to Europe in a few weeks and will be ending in Rome. G/F is flying in (fluent Italian) so I'm feeling adventerous and wouldn't mind exploring the countryside. Rough guess is about 200 miles to Maranello to the Ferrari factory and another 100+ to Scorze for the Aprilia factory.

I've been on some factory tours that you saw nothing but a marketing promotion, and others that you walked along the entire assembly line (HD plant in York is an example of a good tour). So, does anyone have any recommendations on making the trip & what's worth the time, or where else to visit? I believe Maserati, Lamborghini and Ducati aren't that far away...

TIA

-Ron

RZRob
02-21-2006, 11:06 PM
I know a dealer that toured the Aprilia factory. Said they had a great time. Not sure what kind of advanced notifying they did, but they came home with very impressive pictures. I think Aprilia might be a bit more humble these days.

It'd be nice to visit Maranelo. If you go, can you price a rearview mirror for an F60 Enzo for me?

RZ Rob

JP_TUONO
02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Just found out I'll be heading to Europe in a few weeks and will be ending in Rome. G/F is flying in (fluent Italian) so I'm feeling adventerous and wouldn't mind exploring the countryside. Rough guess is about 200 miles to Maranello to the Ferrari factory and another 100+ to Scorze for the Aprilia factory.

I've been on some factory tours that you saw nothing but a marketing promotion, and others that you walked along the entire assembly line (HD plant in York is an example of a good tour). So, does anyone have any recommendations on making the trip & what's worth the time, or where else to visit? I believe Maserati, Lamborghini and Ducati aren't that far away...

TIA

-Ron
I visited Scorze and Noale where the Aprilia factory is,nice places,at Noale you can watch every Aprilia model including Rsv Nera in the Aprilia museum.If you have not made a hotel reservation check the Piccolo hotel at Scorze very nice accomodation about 60 euros per night with a great restaurant with typical italian food.Bolognia,the city where Ducati has the headquarters and factory isn´t far and there´s a good motorway so I would get there and take a look.
The Alps are not far from Noale (about 300 kn heading north),there you can find awesome roads and landscapes as well as beautiful villages,it´s worth the trip.
Enjoy itĦĦ

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
At Ferrari you are not allowed to tour the "factory" but the trip was 100% worth it. You can walk around all day in Maranello and see somethhing new and amazing every few minutes...not to mention that they test their F1 and production cars in plain view (no BS 30 feet from a running F1 car).

dsgfh
02-23-2006, 05:51 AM
I was over in northern italy 18 months ago. I wouldn't bother with Maranello unless you're a mad keen ferrari/car fan. As Micah said, no factory tour allowed. The galleria is an interesting collection I guess... plenty of F1 engines & a few ferrari's, but it just didn't float my boat. 20 Euro each for me & my missus, and the guy didn't even tell us which door to go in (half the place was closed for renovations, with the rest of the exhibit in an annex). You can see them testing at their own track... if they're testing that is. They weren't when I was there. If you have a love of expensive cars, better to walk the streets of Zurich for a night.

Better to head to Bolonga & visit the Ducati Factory. It's a free tour, that you just have to phone up & book. We got shown through to the staff cafe & had a great ristretto, a full tour of the factory floor (bar the racing dept, that only 10% of their employees are allowed in) from where parts arrived, through construction of the engine all the way to emission testing at the other end of the line. That was followed by a full tour of the Museum, where they have every model ducati has produced bar one. They even had examples of the movie projectors, typewriters & shavers they started with in their pre-war days. Even had a great chat with the curator of the museum, who wanted to know if there was anything they could do to make the visit more enjoyable.

Ferrari treated you like it was a privilege for you to be there. Ducati, as though it was a privilege to have you there. Guess that's what I love about riding :)

I'm happy to post up some pics if your interested from the ducati museum (no photo's of the prod line allowed unfortunately).

MarcV
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't think Aprilia does 'factory' tours to the public, but they do have a bitchin' store and display in their corporate offices in Noale. They were working on building a museum but I'm not sure if it's finished or not. The factory is in another small town north of Noale in Scorze. This is where their final assembly plant is and home to both R&D and the Racing Department.

You may want to e-mail them and see if you can get a tour or at least find out when the store is open. They have the coolest stuff there that doesn't get imported into the USA. I can't wait until I go back, this time with way more cash in hand, they didn't take plastic when I was there a couple of years ago.

I didn't get to spend much time in Noale. I would have preferred to spend more time there. If you're in that region you should also check out Verona, if you have time. They have a beautiful arena and the local opera company uses it for their summer performances. Plus, it's home to Romeo and Juliet. Just grab a local tour guide to see the sights.

Have fun and enjoy your trip. :cheers:

RZRob
02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
I did Verona and Lago de Garda (Riva). Lot's of cool small displacement bikes. Also did the Dolomites. My favorite memory was the signs saying "27 Tornananti" meaning 27 turns before the next sign saying 27 more. Great roads.

Oh if you could see the roads that follow.

Romeo, Oh Romeo, Where arte thou Romeo?

dsgfh
02-24-2006, 11:37 PM
A couple of shots of the Ducati Museum (here's hoping they actually attached)

dsgfh
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
One more Ducati shot :cheers: & Ferrari Galleria for comparison

rhansen162
02-26-2006, 11:17 AM
At Ferrari you are not allowed to tour the "factory" but the trip was 100% worth it. You can walk around all day in Maranello and see somethhing new and amazing every few minutes...not to mention that they test their F1 and production cars in plain view (no BS 30 feet from a running F1 car).

I heard the tours aren't open to the public, but can be arranged through your US dealer and I've got a friend with a strong relationship (purchased many cars) with ALGAR Ferrari here in Philly. If I decide to head past Maranello I'm going to try and work that relationship as much as I can to get a private tour :)

rhansen162
02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
So, are any of these locations daily driving distance from Rome? Should I plan on it being one day up, stay over and next day back to Rome?

Recommendations on car rentals companies (for outside of city)? Was thinking scooter rental inside the city???

How about recommendations inside Rome for what area to stay in or non-tourist fun things to do?

Thanks again for all the input

-Ron

naimchase
02-26-2006, 01:25 PM
The Moto Guzzi factory is right off Lake Como in Mandello del Lario. This is one of the most beautiful areas in the world, and the Guzzi museum has HUNDREDS of bikes in long corridor displays, including a V-8 you can touch. Oozing history and charm.:happy:

Ally V60
02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
I'll be passing there in May via the Stelvio Pass, which has something like 52 hairpin bends in about 10 Km. No dout we will be stopping around the Lake como area for a breather, then onto Monza for the WSBK

shovelheadwolf
04-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Koolness!! I am marrying a little Italian Canadian lass (she has both passports), and for the honeymoon we are seeing the tail end of the TT (Seniors race) and then the Guinness Brewery and then off to Italy to visit with her relatives and see Bologna and Noale, maybe Scorze if we can sing a peak into the factory. Her familia is from just west of Trieste, so is only a couple hours at most. I would like to stay at the Piccolo just to be able to experience what JP did.. I am soooooo stoked to go! Five weeks to watch racing, and hang out and see the sights. Oh, anyone have any tips for Rome, good hotels and restaurants etc?

RossGuzzi
04-22-2009, 05:30 AM
I will be in the region early September. Wll be at Nurburgring Sep 6, then Sept 27 for Imola. Planning to see most of the factories, so this thread is a great help.

Keep sending in info !!

Italijet
04-22-2009, 06:11 AM
. Oh, anyone have any tips for Rome,

Take your Guns and keep 1 hand on your wallet at all times :pissed:

For Hotels, any of the major euro hotel chains will be of good quality
As for sight seeing - Send the lady clothes shopping whilst you go and sit in a bistro/cafe. The sights will walk passed frequently.

FinFactory
04-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Here's some pictures from the Scorze assembly plant:
http://www.apriliaclubfinland.com/Assets/Photos/Noale2005_FinFactory/gallery.html

You need to have an invitation from the factory to visit the factory in Scorze and R&D + Racing Dept in Noale (the old factory).
Fortunately we've been able to arrange this twice for our finnish club members;-)

Scorze plant is nothing really spectacular. Of course it's nice to see how these beautiful bikes are assembled!

The really interesting thing is the R&D and Racing dept in Noale. Sorry no photographs!

There's a small showroom in Noale with a small shop. As I recall they don't have any particular opening hours for the shop; it was opened for us to buy Aprilia accessories etc.

This data is from 2005 so you'll need to check it.

Another interesting place to visit is Guzzi museum in Mandello del Lario on the eastern shore of Lake Como. They have a priceless collection of Guzzi motorcycle history in there.

Cheers,
Arto

Stick
04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Nice pics FinFactory. I would like to visit Italy one day. My neighbor is a little Italian lady....cool ass lady. Dont piss her off!

weirdsteve
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
good thread, great pics...id love to make it out there some day to tour the ducati factory.

Gabro
05-23-2009, 03:39 AM
to everybody come to Italy for pleasure or for work, please feel free to post a topic on the italian board www.apriliav60.it (ask me to help you trough the registration if you have any difficult).
We'll be happy and prowd to help you in any form and maybe have a beer togheter!

:banana::banana:

gpc111
09-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I plan on being in Italy this month for the GP in Misano....
I have been trying to find any details for the Aprilia Factory, Museum ...hours etc.etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regard
GPC

Ted / AF1 Racing
09-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow, I'll be there for Misano as well. PM me for contact info. I work at AF1 and I'm not holding my breath for a factory tour.

gpc111
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Excellent Ted !
We'll need to meet in a bar for beer !!
PM Sent

Ted / AF1 Racing
09-07-2012, 10:45 AM
See you in Italy!

potere
09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Geez, have a great time in Italy, guys. I'll be there next year, just not sure which race, Misano or San Marino.

Expraesto
09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
It seems that you will be passing through Tuscany (see any of several hill towns, Siena, San Gimi - of course Firenze, if time permits), and ending up near Venice (Scorze). Lots of great memories to create. I haven't been there in two years. Could spend several weeks easily...

gpc111
09-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks, I'll look up those towns. I'm actually making the town of Monterchi Tuscany my base camp.

rmcobb
09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Geez, have a great time in Italy, guys. I'll be there next year, just not sure which race, Misano or San Marino.

Misano is San Marino. I think you mean Mugello, although it depends on if you're going to WSBK or MotoGP. If WSBK you have Imola or Monza in addition to Misano, and if MotoGP its either Misano or Mugello.

We went to MotoGP at Mugello last year, staying in Florence and travelling to the track each day. What an experience!

Dorsoduropaul
09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Ducati factory tour tomorrow afternoon on the way to Misano....Yipee.

Flying into Bologna lunchtime its its only 3.5 miles from airport...done it once before and recommend it...make sure you pre book though otherwise no entry

RossGuzzi
09-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Dont try to park your Aprilia in there car park......they wont let you !!