PDA

View Full Version : Updated Info On SXV450/550 for Street Use

Rollin Fast
12-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Final confirmation from Bill Stone at Aprilia USA confms that the SXV is coming into the states with enough VIN numbers to title the units for street use.

Yes, there is a catch! None of these bikes are coming in with the actual Aprilia USA light kits, like the bike that is being plastered all over the internet. NO LIGHT KITS.

Holy shit, who at Aprilia thought about this one. Once again I have a bonecrushing headache from the brick wall our heads have been hitting. :bangwall:

The reason for this is not so much Aprilia USA's fault. Unfortunately, the process to homologate a bike in this country is a nightmare. There is so much red tape that importing manufacturers have to go through it is sickening. Thank your local DMV, DEP and Congressmen/Lawyers for that one.

I know everyone out there is saying, "Why rush importing these units withoutout the light kits?" The answer to this question is if Aprilia USA can get these to fly under the radar and not raise any red flags at DMV, the title with the correct amount of numbers will be smouth sailing to register and insure once a proper lighting kit is installed. At this point it would have to be a kit developed by an outside source, such as ourselves. (hint)

On a positive note, the bike is awesome and there is still a slim chance that they will have it homolgated by the second shipment in June/July. :cheers:

We are in the process of developining and putting together a street light kit that will be for sale by the time the second shipment comes in. Some carbon good stuff included. Keep an eye out for it. :burnout:

Thanks, John

Rollin' Fast Cycle Sports
104 Main Street
Lebanon, NJ 08833
(908) 236-9000

http://www.rollinfast.com
http://www.tigcraftusa.com

duc slayer
12-19-2005, 12:49 PM
:cheers: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :cheers:

Ricky J
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
What a bogus plan, it has caveat emptor written all over it.

Jony2Stones
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Awesome!!
Being able to make it street legal (in kit form....at least the possibility of it...) would be an awesome added bonus..!

After seeing and playing with the SXV at the IMS show in SJC, I'm glad I've got one on the way...!

Last night, my head was a 'wrrrr' of carbon-this and ceramic that....and the sound that bike must make....:eek:

Oh and that 180 rear tire....what a laugh (in a G*O*O*D way :D)....nothing like having a rear tire that's wider than the motor! Too cool...:)

ExtraJ
12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Awesome!!
Being able to make it street legal (in kit form....at least the possibility of it...) would be an awesome added bonus..!

After seeing and playing with the SXV at the IMS show in SJC, I'm glad I've got one on the way...!

Last night, my head was a 'wrrrr' of carbon-this and ceramic that....and the sound that bike must make....:eek:

Oh and that 180 rear tire....what a laugh (in a G*O*O*D way :D)....nothing like having a rear tire that's wider than the motor! Too cool...:)

Huh... I didn't know they decided to go with the 180 rear. I would probably rather have it with a 160 or a 170. Only downside is tire choice.

Jony2Stones
12-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Huh... I didn't know they decided to go with the 180 rear. I would probably rather have it with a 160 or a 170. Only downside is tire choice.

Yeah....check here for the specs...

http://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/eng/modello_techinfo.phtml?id=95

For whatever reason, I didn't take a pic of it....maybe someone else who went (or is going to future dates..) can get a pic of it...:)

Jiggla
12-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah....check here for the specs...

http://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/eng/modello_techinfo.phtml?id=95

For whatever reason, I didn't take a pic of it....maybe someone else who went (or is going to future dates..) can get a pic of it...:)

I'll take some pics next month in NY

clarkie49
12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
I'll take some pics next month in NY

Maybe earlier..and you wont have to drive as far ;)

duc slayer
12-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Clarkie, let me know when you guys get one, I'll have to call in sick so I can take a little road trip. I should apologize now, because I'm sure I'll end up drooling :D all over it, so I'll bring some clean rags along with me :burnout:

mysubaruimp
12-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Headlight

http://www.acerbis.com/p107_headlight/p107.html

duc slayer
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
There must be a few people here on the forum with some idea's for a headlight and some LED signal's. can't wait for all the goodies :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jony2Stones
12-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Sexy.....:eek: (pulled from another forum..)

Werid angle, but shows the size of that massive rear....

max mille
12-22-2005, 06:05 AM
how could it not raise flags with the DMV, it has NO LIGHTS FCOL :WTF:
bassackwards. seems like I'll never get one over here :( if I do I'll have to truck it to a weigh station (taxed based on vehicle weight); get my own safety inspection (bogus, done at oil change or gas station); truck it recon (bogus 2nd level safety since the gas station has no clue about bikes); etc. that's if I can find an insurance company (april-a-what?). there's more hoops too regarding paperwork, entry date and all that but dang I was hoping for a dealer slam dunk street legal off the floor. cuz lord knows the dealer here will ass rape us SM buyers on the one or two they will get.

max mille
12-22-2005, 06:19 AM
oh no not the acerbis lights :( I had the triple "bug face" lights on a dirt conversion and those things are barely acceptable for a mountain bike let alone a highway vehicle. ditto the baja square light, was the dot approved version but the light (and pattern) sucks! and yes I tried all kinds of different bulbs, even turned the whole lens assembly upside down for IMO a better light spread. but I guess if it's just to get plated you do what ya gotta' do.

Ricky J
12-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I believe DMV registrations can be revoked retroactively i.e. after they are issued if it is discovered after the fact that something's fraudulent or misrepresented. You might want to check your own state laws but just because a bike sneaks by some myopic inspector doesn't mean you're home free for ever and ever.

clarkie49
12-22-2005, 08:59 AM
:plus: Just because you have the right amount on numbers in the VIN that doesnt gaurantee you getting it registered. Sometimes (depending on the state) if the VIN# doesnt come up with a homolgated bike they declare it 'off road'

Saying that, in Arizona you can ride your 'street legal' Yamaha Banshee down to the pub packing a 45 on your hip, still a little bit of the 'wild' left in the wild west :burnout:

Rollin Fast
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Before everyone gets in an uproar. Aprilia should do this, Aprilia should have done that, and so on.

There is a good chance that they will have it homologated for street use by June/July of 2006 when the large shipment comes to the states.

I dont know how the DMV in Calfornia works, so I am not an expert on this subject. When was the last time someone you know had a vehicle pulled off the road after it was titled and registered. I cant tell you how many two stroke TZ's are floating around the roads that should not be. At least in the tri-state area.

DMV in Jersey can barely figure out what year we are in, nonetheless go after the small percentage of bikes on the road that should not be titled.

I thought this was a pro-Aprilia forum? Not, lets bash them for every little thing Aprilia does not do according to the masses. Yes, they have made mistakes, but that does not change the fact that they are building an awesome top of the line motorcycle.:cheers:

By the way, Merry Christmas! Sorry the politically correct greeting is Happy Holidays!

John/ Rollin' Fast Cycle Sports

104 Main Street
Lebanon, NJ 08833
(908) 236-9000

www.rollinfast.com
www.tigcraftusa.com

Ricky J
12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
John, it's called covering our asses. Yours AND ours. Murphy's Law says anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so any transaction that depends upon the ignorance or neglect of third parties is worth challenging. That is never inappropriate.

For California residents there are numerous Vehicle Code sections that apply just to lighting issues alone. Review sections 24000-26106 on vehicle equipment and 40151 on lighting equipment violations. Section 8800, General Powers, speaks to revocation of registration and the like.

duc slayer
12-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, personally I can't comment on the dmv in any other town other then my own, but how the hell are these people going to know that the bike dosen't have lights or signals. I've registered about 7 bikes now and none of them have ever been looked at by anyone from the dmv. Their office has about 4 windows and they wouldn't be able to see anything if they wanted to. The only people that see the bike are at the bike shop to get it inspected.

clarkie49
12-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I've registered about 7 bikes now and none of them have ever been looked at by anyone from the dmv.

but if the computer doesnt recognize the VIN# or it pops up as an 'Offroad Vehicle' it is a different story ;) there are different ways around it in different states but telling everyone they can get them on the street just because they have the right number on numbers in the VIN may be a little premature

Do I hope the will be homologated? Yes

Are we telling people they 'should' be able to get them registered? No

Rollin Fast
12-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Very well. Like I said previously, I am not an expert on DMV's across the country. From what I have heard from customers that have lived in California, the DMV out there is a real pain in the as*.

I response to your statement Clarkie, I do agree if the vehicle is deemed "off road only" by the DMV it will be a problem when you go and try to register it. Thus far, all of the information we have been given steers in the direction of these units will be able to be registered through DMV's nationwide.

John / Rollin' Fast Cycle Sports

104 Main Street
Lebanon, NJ 08833
(908) 236-9000

www.rollinfast.com
www.tigcraftusa.com

clarkie49
12-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I totally agree with you John :)

I just want to see the chicken before i start counting the eggs :D

Rollin Fast
12-22-2005, 02:55 PM
All we can do is wait and hope for the best.

Once the bike is homologated for street use here in the US, both the 450 & 550 should be a blast to race or ride on twisty backroads. :happy:

104 Main Street
Lebanon, NJ 08833
(908) 236-9000

www.rollinfast.com
www.tigcraftusa.com

duc slayer
12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't care if I have to put my factory's plate on it!!! One way or another mine will be streetable :gunner:

Rollin Fast
12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
That's the spirit! :plus:

104 Main Street
Lebanon, NJ 08833
(908) 236-9000

http://www.rollinfast.com
http://www.tigcraftusa.com

max mille
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
having a streetable code on the MSO is key for one, that's what gets sent in for a plate so that is what aprilia is working here?

when I plated a dirtbike in cali it was inspected by the dmv for working lights and stickers. this was during the dual sport "loophole", now closed. I'm with you duc slayer, I'll do what I can to plate one, have been and still waiting patiently for it. ducati announced their SM and will probably get it on the streets first. :mad:

Ricky J
12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Before a motor vehicle can be even considered for registration in a State, it has to have first jumped another hurdle: to be eligible for street use in the USA all manufacturers must file statements with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that the vehicle(s) meet all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), included in these are lighting standards. The manufacturer must assign a unique seventeen-digit serial number to each vehicle and supply the NHTSA with these numbers and any informational coding within it. The manufacturer is also required to affix to the vehicle a permanent tag or plate which states it meets the applicable FMVSS. This information should be located near the steering head of a motorcycle, if it's not found then more question need to be asked...alot more.

I think it is this data which is shared with State DMVs, and is the reason you just cannot mail in paperwork and receive a license plate for your motocrosser. They really don't need windows on DMV offices, it's in the computer.

duc slayer
12-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Some have stated that the dmv inspected their bike for lights and the such, so my point is that I've never seen any of them (dmv employee's) so much as get off their fat ass's to even look out the window, let alone actually go outside and look at something. :ripass:

AV8OR
12-22-2005, 05:53 PM
anyone know if the SXV has a key for the ignition? electric start?

i dont want no fool steeling my bike parked on the street

Jony2Stones
12-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Sooo...we're saying that I may only be able to piss off my neighbors...:happy:

Oh well, atleast I have dirt trails and 'avenues-of-escape' wrapping around my house...:D

Now all I have to work on is mounting a garage-door opener to the back-wall of my shed.......:fangs:

duc slayer
12-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I used to have a small opener mounted to my dash on a TL1000 t was only 3inches long and about 2 inches wide it could easily be mounted anywhere or even leave it in your pocket. It was definitely handy in a hurry, if you know what I'm saying.

irdave
12-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Here in CO, all you have to do is fill out some paperwork/affadavit (?) saying that you put lights and a horn on it. Don't even need to get it inspected. Friend owns the Kawi shop, says he sold a guy a dirt bike, next day he showed up with plates...

And beyond that, I, too would take the plate off my Mille to be able to ride that thing around.

yamatr3
12-27-2005, 11:13 PM
What Clarkie says is 100% true to the word of the law. However, that's not how it works in the real world. I bought a Cannondale a year and a half ago. Cannondale never made any street legal bikes for the U.S.. I walked into the Florida DMV with MSO in hand (MSO did not say for off road use only on it) and walked out with a plate. Also, they didn't even inspect the bike. Second instance, I bought a YZ85 and went to the DMV to get the title transfered. While at the window, the girl asked me If I wanted a plate for it. SO, I guess what I am saying is, it will depend on how smart your state and local DMV are.

PJFZ1
01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
what I am saying is, it will depend on how smart your state and local DMV are.

true statement - There will be SXV's on the street much sooner than the naysayers think.

clarkie49
01-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Bloody rednecks and their ways around the law :bond:

Hey PJ :D

Ergo
01-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Whiney bastards...all of you! :bond:

No manufacturer has EVER been able to deliver the street versions of a 450cc or 550cc Motocross thumper the first year...or 2nd...or even 3rd.

Hell, 2006 Husqvarna's TE 450, 510 are the only one that's currently for sale in the USA! :happy:

Cut Aprilia some slack! :soap:

mrr1150gs
01-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Hell, 2006 Husqvarna's TE 450, 510 are the only one that's currently for sale in the USA!

Hopefully AF1 will be selling these bikes to give us Texans a street legal dirt bike in the near future.

Of course, I would rather have the Aprilia...

rlmoon61
02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
The other option would be to purchase a KTM as their mso's aren't stamped for offroad use only. I live in Florida and recently purchased a 2006 300xc two stroke,which is registered and plated.:) Can't wait untill my light kit gets here!!
Not that I intend to ride a dirt bike on the hiway but if you ride in any national forrests your vehicle has to be plated in order to ride on any numbered dirt roads, infact you can't even ride across,or next to any of these roads as the description of these roads is from timberline to timberline:mad:

Turpentine
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Fly over em.

Futurider
02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Just because various state DMV agents may not be competent enough (or care for that matter) to tell the difference between a street legal bike and an off road bike. I'll bet most insurance companies are. Even you slip through their screening and they issue a policy, just hope you never have a claim.

Drt Boy
02-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Check out: http://www.dixiedualsport.com/

DB

clarkie49
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I talked to a local NH KTM dealer yesterday and they said that what they do is check off a 'street legal' inspection list which is actually mean to be a green sticker type of registration to get from trail head to trail head.

They send the MSO in to the DMV (which has 'offroad use only' on it) and the title gets issued as a 'Motorcycle' not and 'off road' vehicle, they said it isnt really legal to use them as full time street bikes but it is "Live free or Die" New Hampshire :D

They also said that once the title has been issued from the DMV as a 'Offroad Vehicle' it is also impossible to get it switched over, each state will be a little different but i would hunt down a dealer that says they can get a plate for a KTM and find out how they do it :burnout:

max mille
02-06-2006, 07:56 AM
fawk it I cry uncle already. :whiner: I got enough pots boiling at the moment anyway. see ya in 3 or whatever years then aprilia if you're still around and no I don't want a damn maxi scooter. I didn't even get the damn t-shirt you promised. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Jony2Stones
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
fawk it I cry uncle already. :whiner: I got enough pots boiling at the moment anyway. see ya in 3 or whatever years then aprilia if you're still around and no I don't want a damn maxi scooter. I didn't even get the damn t-shirt you promised. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

You wouldn't happen to be in front of me in line would ya??? :banana:

duc slayer
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
:funnypost :funnypost :funnypost :funnypost :funnypost :funnypost

max mille
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
knock yerself out mang, I have an entire island chain to play on :)

buckmaster
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I just locked mine in (sxv 450) for 8079.50 out the door the dealer is only getting one.He called aprilia & should be late first quarter 06:burnout:

rlmoon61
02-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Clarkie wrote:

I talked to a local NH KTM dealer yesterday and they said that what they do is check off a 'street legal' inspection list which is actually mean to be a green sticker type of registration to get from trail head to trail head.

They send the MSO in to the DMV (which has 'offroad use only' on it) and the title gets issued as a 'Motorcycle' not and 'off road' vehicle, they said it isnt really legal to use them as full time street bikes but it is "Live free or Die" New Hampshire

They also said that once the title has been issued from the DMV as a 'Offroad Vehicle' it is also impossible to get it switched over, each state will be a little different but i would hunt down a dealer that says they can get a plate for a KTM and find out how they do it

From what I previously understood you are correct. However in my case what transpired was as follows I purchased a new '06 KTM 300xc and a new '06 ttr230(for my girlfriend) from a Suzuki/KTM/Yamaha dealer in Florida, at the time of purchase I requested a street reg. for the 300, and asked them to just forward me the mso if this was going to be an issue since the mso didn't state off highway vehicle. They assured me this wouldn't be a problem and about a week later I recieved my two offroad vehicle regs and titles:pissed:
I promptly called the gm at the dealership asking for their assistance, he faxed me a copy of the original mso and armed with my buyers order,showing two vehicles purchased at the same time,both titles and regs.,and copy of the mso I proceeded to my local dmv explaining to the supervisor that this title was issued in error and I had a motorcycle that I could not use due to improper registration. They cancelled the original title and issued a tag and reg. on the spot, about one week later my new title was in the mailbox:cheers:
I feel very fortunate that this worked out due to the fact that it will realistically be this fall before my garage will see an aprilia rxv/sxv 550.

TampaMille
03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
rlmoon61: Where are you getting your SXV550??? I want one yesterday and am willing to pay the price now to get one for sure! Do you think we will be able to register them street legal? I know Florida is not very strict in that sense.

Drt Boy
03-29-2006, 06:21 AM
TampaMille, Barney's in St. Pete. is still an Aprilia dealer. We aren't ordering any bikes for open stock until we see what Aprilia is going to do in the area of dealer support.

However, we will order bikes for customers. Give us a call (and a deposit) and we'll get one ordered for you. Just call in and ask for Jack.

BTW: Don't know how Florida will view these machines but I can tell you they have beefed up their requirements. If the MSO's don't say "off-road only" then they will probably fly.

DB

TampaMille
03-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Sent you a PM Dirt