PDA

View Full Version : Back from Prudoe

rons
07-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Just got back into town at about 11:00pm last night. Made it to
Prudoe Bay. I think my Capo may be the first Aprilia to have been to the Arctic Ocean.

Short story:

5500 miles on the bike, 1200 miles on the boat. Spokane to Jasper, Jasper to Dawson Creek, Dawson Creek to Watson Lake, Watson Lake to Whitehorse, Whitehorse to Dawson City, play time on the Dempster, Dawson City to Fairbanks via Top of the World highway, Fairbanks to Prudoe Bay via the Dalton Highway, Prudoe Bay back to Fairbanks, Fairbanks to Anchorage, Anchorage to the Kenei, Boat from Seward to Prince Rupert, Prince Rupert to Williams Lake, finally, Williams Lake back into Spokane.

About 1000 miles of dirt road. One flat tire near Chicken Alaska on
the Top of the World for me. Two other flats on bikes in the group I was with, one on the Dempster, one on the Dalton. My bike is still in one piece (more or less).

Lucked out and wound up in Dawson city during the Yukon music festival. What a hoot!

Saw several bear both brown and black, huge moose, dall sheep, musk ox, arctic fox.

Never thought scenery overload was possible but after a while all the 12,000+ foot mountain peaks and massive tidal glaciers start looking alike.

Finally got to see some reasonably healthy seas crossing the gulf of Alaska. Some people do get sea sick, luckily I wasn't one of them.

More info and lots of pictures later when my brain begins working.

jdm1intx
07-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Did you see any Gray Whales ? This would be the time of year for them.

rons
07-31-2003, 11:02 AM
We did see some whales. Not sure what they were. Just some spouts and backs rolling in the water. No breaching or anything interesting like that. They had fairly small dorsel fins but a big body.

cccpull
07-31-2003, 12:11 PM
Interested in seeing some pictures including the bikes condition.
I did a similar trip last year from Miami, 2-up on a Vmax but could not go to Prudoe Bay since it was late in the season ( 2nd half of September and some towns were closed down ) and my fuel range was dismal (125 miles hit reserve :eek: ).
The bike took a beating but a lot of elbow grease, painting and polishing and it's back to normal. :D
Got to see the pics, thanks. :)

rons
07-31-2003, 04:48 PM
At the Deadhorse general store in Prudoe Bay:

rons
07-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Pass through the Brooks range:

rons
07-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Tundra and hills of the North Slope:

rons
07-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Dirty Capo at exit from the Dalton Hwy:

rons
07-31-2003, 04:54 PM
Brooks range coming back south:

cccpull
07-31-2003, 06:21 PM
Seeing those pictures makes me want to go back. :)

Seeing that truck coming down the road brings back not so fond memories. :eek:

Great trip, eh.

skidlid
08-01-2003, 06:17 PM
What kind of tirers were you running, and how was clearance at the front fender?

Thanks,
Dave

rons
08-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by skidlid
What kind of tirers were you running, and how was clearance at the front fender?

Thanks,
Dave

They are the Contenental Twinduro's. I planned to put them on in Fairbanks for the trip up the Dalton. As it turned out I needed them after getting my rear tourance punctured on the Top of the World highway near Chicken Alaska. They worked rather well on the Dalton and they make the bike look bad ass, but they are crap on the pavement. You can feel the knobs hitting the pavement at low speeds and they are not nearly as stable as the Tourance's are. They don't last very long either. I've got about 3k miles on them now and they are almost gone. Back to the Tourance's for me.

On a side note, two of the guys with me were running the new Michelin Ankenes (sp). They don't seem to get much milage either. By the time we got to Fairbanks, both of their rears were almost shot.

skidlid
08-02-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm running the Anakee right now, and you're right... they don't get the mileage that the Metzelers do. I got about 6k out of this rear,while I usually get about 8k out of the Metzelers. Did you have any clearance problems with the front fender? I know it's gotta be pretty close. I'm thinking about the Karoos for my trip up to Alaska.Can't wait to do the Dempster.

Thanks Again,

Dave

rons
08-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Did you have any clearance problems with the front fender? I know it's gotta be pretty close.

No problem with clearance. They fit just like they were made for it.

Can't wait to do the Dempster.

Start out easy. The bulk of the punctures we seemed to have were due to being a little hard on the throttle in the dirt. It's hard to resist though. Make sure you have a good patch kit with plenty of plugs and bicycle pump to complete the inflation of the tires. Those CO2 cartridges that come with the patch kits do not completly inflate the tire. You might also want to run your tire with a little less air in them than you would on the street. I droped mine down to about 28 lbs of presure after about 4 hours of having my filling knocked out. Have fun on the Dempster!

ScarrJaw
08-04-2003, 04:10 AM
you did my dream ride... i pick up my capo and some hepco becker bags this week.. next year im going to do the same thing, prudoe bay here i come!!!!:D :D :D :D :D
Andrew Denton
www.apriliamille.org (http://www.apriliamille.org)

ScarrJaw
08-13-2003, 12:16 AM
how was the gas on this trip? i plan on riding up there
next year... ide love some pointers from someone with
experiance
www.apriliamille.org
Andrew

rons
08-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ScarrJaw
how was the gas on this trip? i plan on riding up there
next year... ide love some pointers from someone with
experiance
www.apriliamille.org
Andrew

Gas is available everywhere but there are long stretches without. All along the Alcan gas is available at least every 50 to 100 miles. You don't want to be overly confident and you'll want to top off whenever you are about to head into a long stretch between towns.

On the Dempster, gas is available only at Eagle Plains. It's 200+ miles to Eagle Plains from the start (where there is a gas station at the junction) and another 200+ miles into Inuvic. You will want to carry extra gas on the Dempster for the Capo just in case your twisting the throttle a little too much.

On the Dalton, if you fill up in Fairbanks and at the Yukon River station you'll be fine until Coldfoot. From Coldfoot to Deadhorse is 240 miles with no services including gas. You'll want to carry extra on that leg. I carried a two gallon can of extra gas. I was being very gentle with the throttle starting at Coldfoot just to conserve as much as possible. I ran out within sight of Deadhorse and had to dip into the extra gas I'd brought.

pistonslap
08-14-2003, 09:09 AM
What a great ride!! I did the same ride a couple of years ago on a KLR 650. I highly recommend this trip to anybody on a dual sport machine.

Planning to go again on the Capo next year.
Go to <www.swampscooters.net> for pictures of my trip 2 years ago. Click on articles and go to Rides and Road Tales.