PDA

View Full Version : Who will "abandon" Aprilia...?

Rick T Reloaded
12-08-2005, 11:21 AM
With the immediate future clouded with so much uncertainty - not knowing if Aprilia will turn their back on the v-twin format for their top-line sportbike, let alone the survival of the company... How many of you are likely to stick it out with Aprilia? I love my '02 RSV-R and will have it with me for a very, very long time. However, if in '07, Aprilia decides that the v-twin in no longer the direction they want to go, then my '02 will be my last Aprilia and I will be looking elsewhere for my next "sportbike".

So...
1. If Aprilia's next top sportbike is powered by an inline-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one?
2. If Aprilia's next top sportbike is powered by a V-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one?
3. If Aprilia were no more - who would you turn to for your next bike?

I wonder if anyone from "Aprilia" actually peeks at this forum? :cool:

aprilia_nut
12-08-2005, 11:40 AM
If in 2007, they produce a V4, I will stay with Aprilia. If an I4, probably will have to look at Ducati again.

hank
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
A full liter v4 would be of interest, as would a 600 (V2, triple or V4 :p: )

I would also be interested in a 450/550 replacement of the RS250 for trackdays

The Priller 'tards look like they might be worth waiting for but the KTM's are already here and look great....

Red
12-08-2005, 11:56 AM
yes
yes
DUCATI........I just love Italy

Silver-Bolt
12-08-2005, 11:59 AM
If parts availabilty improves dramatically I will buy another. If they do not improve the parts situation I don't care what they come out with I will shop elsewhere.

2cats
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Roger that.

derrickhackman
12-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I think I will stay with Aprilia until it gets REAL REAL bad. I will go to MV if Aprilia fails me. What a good reason to get an MV :cathat:

Ducati is too passe', everyone has one.

AV8OR
12-08-2005, 08:40 PM
I will not buy an I4.....a V4....yes

ride200mi
12-08-2005, 08:55 PM
With the immediate future clouded with so much uncertainty - not knowing if Aprilia will turn their back on the v-twin format for their top-line sportbike, let alone the survival of the company... How many of you are likely to stick it out with Aprilia? I love my '02 RSV-R and will have it with me for a very, very long time. However, if in '07, Aprilia decides that the v-twin in no longer the direction they want to go, then my '02 will be my last Aprilia and I will be looking elsewhere for my next "sportbike".

So...
1. If Aprilia's next top sportbike is powered by an inline-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one?
2. If Aprilia's next top sportbike is powered by a V-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one?

Well they are to show up at Long Beach with the new "Supermoto" as like Ducati. So maybe they are making a new "plan"...
As far as new road bikes... I would love to see Aprilia do a V4... Inline ...Maybe..... And if they left the country...... I am not sure what I would buy next. I/we have enjoyed the Futura that much that I woiuld be hard pressed to find something like.:confused:

keithroxx
12-08-2005, 09:27 PM
gonna ride my futura into the ground, so that figures to be awhile.
I will be in the market for a mid sized sport mid 06 so looks like triumph will be catching my dollars.

mnm222876
12-08-2005, 09:41 PM
1. No
2. Yes
3. Ducati and Honda

irdave
12-08-2005, 09:49 PM
I like the Aprilia as much as anybody- but I'm studying Mechanical Engineering for a reason. If I can't find what I want, I'll make it. Think Spondon frame for some stomping engine. Bolt-ons for everything else.

kzmille
12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
My 01 may be my last bike. I'm 54 and I keep my bikes a long time. I still have my R100RS from 1981. If I do buy another bike in the coming years it will probably be a second 01-03 Mille. Or maybe an RS250 or RSV550.

Zeeowh
12-08-2005, 10:11 PM
1. Probably not, what would make it different to a jap bike then. The MV is only different because it is a damn sexy looking bike but i wouldn't pay the premium for a Euro bike for the badge, if i was a badge buyer i would have bought a Ducati.
2. Probably but i like the other rumour which is of a 1200cc twin that would have the power of a jap i4.... now with that i'd be looking to upgrade the 04RSVR. :lover:
3. Not sure. would probably buy a track day bike and a BMW 1200GS Adventure or KTM Adventure. :worship:

Like Hank, i'd like to see the 550 motor in a bike that i could just use to carve up the twisties and then i'd buy one of the above for trips.

vsgofast
12-08-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm not really a big fan of Japanese bikes ..the styling is atrocious. I would prefer to stay with Aprilia V4 or I4 it doesn't matter. I have the RSV so I'm going to ride that for a long time...parts willing.

I'm keeping my eye on Triumph...or maybe Buell can make a deal with Rotax and put the Mille engine in their frames!!!!

Also the Piaggio 3 wheeler is kind of cool---just kidding

kzmille
12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
...or maybe Buell can make a deal with Rotax and put the Mille engine in their frames!!!!
The V60 Engine belongs to aprilia and of course Piaggio. Rotax cannot sell it to anyone unless of course Piaggio wants them to.

vsgofast
12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
kzmille

You couldn't let me enjoy my reality...

kzmille
12-08-2005, 10:44 PM
I am sorry to belabor the point but so many refer to the "Rotax" engine wondering who they might sell it to. It is not a Rotax engine. The engine was designed in-house by aprilia. It is an aprilia engine manufactured by Rotax.

FORZA
12-08-2005, 10:52 PM
It was designed by Rotax to fit the requirements of Aprilia's design team.
I have spoken to the dudes from Rotax at different times while at Aprilia.

A V4 yes, a small (750) and larger (1100+) engine as well but more for road than racing use.

Dave.

kzmille
12-08-2005, 11:10 PM
The V60 engine was designed in house at aprilia. Project leader on the engine development team was Mariano Fioravanzo. Giorgio Del Ton was chief engine designer. Two patents came out of the effort. AVDC, Anti-Vibration Double Countershaft and PPC, Pneumatic Power Clutch.

EDIT: Despite my repeated assertions I seem to be wrong on some of these points.

Thanks to the efforts of Bikoman he has found the patents for both the PPC and the AVDC and they originated from within Rotax. Three Austrian engineers are responsible. Not an Italian in sight. Thank you very much for clearing that up. I seem to be guilty of believing everything I read in the motorcycling press and certain big wigs at aprilia are guilty of over emphasizing their role in designing the V60 engine.

PPC Patent (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=43&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=rotax.ASNM.&OS=AN/rotax&RS=AN/rotax)

AVDC Patent (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=44&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=rotax.ASNM.&OS=AN/rotax&RS=AN/rotax)

Click on the image links on there, those are them....

Kemuri
12-08-2005, 11:20 PM
New to these machines but love'n it, haven't been bitten by the parts issue yet and the bike feels pretty bullet proof so hopefully won't deal with that one unless I eat it. Tough to say, would have to wait for the offering and to see the technology - finish. Ducs are cool but the maintenance is a bit much for my current budget. For now I'm running with Aprilia with hope they improve their support and eventually the line up.

vsgofast
12-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I knew Aprilia had designed the engine and that Rotax built the engine to their specs. I remember at one time KTM was trying to use the Mille engine but Aprilia refused to sell them. ...so KTM designed a engine for their Superduke

I still think a Mille engine in a Buell frame would be a wicked bike...:bump:

AV24ME
12-09-2005, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=
So...

I wonder if anyone from "Aprilia" actually peeks at this forum? :cool:[/QUOTE]

1. No way, too UJM
2. Might, show me something
3. Ducati, maybe KTM will be a real player in the US by that time, have enjoyed all my KTM's so far. I love my both of my v-twins, a move to Ducati almost seems like a backwards move but it's the lessor evil than "having" to return to a inline-4.

The_Scottsman
12-09-2005, 02:05 AM
1. I've had I4's and don't find them to have character. So, no.
2. V4 may be a viable improvement, I'm interested.
3. Maybe Triumph's 650, Perhaps a Duke 990. Hell, maybe Buell if they'd ever use that VR motor. Whatever it is, it's gotta have character. Love my Aprilia!

NUTTA
12-09-2005, 06:44 AM
A V4 would be my chioce.

My next bike must offer something that isn't so main stream, I like a little bit of individuality (hence my rsvr). The I4 is a 'boring' configeration, So many manufactures have been there and done that. And I know it's the cheapest way to manufacture big performance, but as we all know cheapest isn't always best.

But a V4 with the rite creative design (handling power, looks, character - soul)..... now were talking :lover:

Where do I pay my deposit? :burnout:

got_Mille?
12-09-2005, 07:44 AM
V4 maybe, I4 Nope (it wouldnt even be close to an Aprilia),
Alternates: Ducati, Bimota or maybe even a Laverda, cant go back to Jap bikes.

:bond: I would have to rush out and scoop up all the 2000.5 Mille's I could find............... :gunner:
:bond: Dont need the factory, I will have all my parts I need and wont share with anyone! :gunner:
:bond: No one I tell ya! Go away!..........Mine Mine Mine............................................. :gunner:

Dug206
12-09-2005, 07:47 AM
A I4 or V4 1000cc bike does not interest me at all. I'd would rather have a V-twin 650 to race in a million different classes with a good contingency program. If I were to buy a new bike, the 750 V-twin would be my option of the 2 they are talking about. Who would I be looking at if Aprilia went away, Suzuki or Ducati.

JoeKher
12-09-2005, 08:49 AM
No V twin HMMmmmm?

I4=NO
V4=I'd try it.
Other brand? KTM 950sm or Venom(if and when).

ZeroTwoRSV
12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I plan on keeping my Falco a long time as well. I also like got_mille's idea:plus:

If/when they change the engine configuration, does that mean we have something more special???:eek:

1. I4 - why bother. I would go Japanese again
2. I do like the V4s, such as the VFR. It sounds great, and has character.
3. Hate to say it, but Honda or Suzuki :bangwall:

Luckily for us, the new new racing program will put things in ship shape right away;)

cwalker
12-09-2005, 09:48 AM
no
yes
mv agusta, or ducati, but only if they've fired terblanchetwat by then!

:bangwall:

ChicagoFactory
12-09-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not jumping ship. I'm considering a new Tuono, but need to sell the Factory first.

I'm not crazy about I4's, I'm a V-Twin guy. However if I were to buy one, I like the MV Brutale and F4 1000. I think they should stay with V2's or V4's because that is Aprilia's marquee. An I4 would be a "me too" bike IMO, and if they're not up to snuff performance wise with the UJM's, then it will be a death sentence for them. The UJM's have perfected the I4's so much, that Aprilia, or anybody else for that matter, can't compete in that field. Just ask Triumph.

A V4 would be interesting. I had a VFR750 for my first bike and liked it.

If Aprilia "goes away", I would then look at Ducati or MV.

Bill in OKC
12-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I still love the early RSV. It is good to own a bike and feel contented. I guess I'll keep these until He77 freezes over. Aprilia will have to give me the SP motor or a kickin V4 (with a tasteful paint job) before I'll buy another one but I'm not going to abandon them.

grabdawg
12-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I loved my '03 Tuono, had no problems with it, looked great, sounded better, super engine...scared the hell out of me with the front wheel trying to come up all the time (too old for that now)! The 2 main reasons I sold it was 1) Piaggio; and 2) wanted something more comfortable with more wind protection at high speeds.

If my bride had let me, I would have kept it and added the ST4s...no luck with that! The Duc is more comfortable, has better handling, is beautiful to behold, and sounds just as good. The front end stays down, so it is easier for me to ride fast. No problems in 4500 miles since March, so no complaints.

I've said before, I worked for Piaggio selling their twin turboprop Avanti, and those suckers don't have a clue when it comes to selling a product in the US! I'll be shocked if anything improves with their ownership of Aprilia, which is a shame, as it's a great bike. If their performance with bikes is anything like their airplane, you won't see any parts for it and dealers will be almost nonexistant! Not a pretty picture, but that's the way they did business when I worked for them. When we tried to explain what it would take to sell the Avanti, their reply was typically Italian, "Why can't you sell the airplane...it's so beautiful"!!!!! Emotions without proper support won't work.

vsgofast
12-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Whoever thought that a Ducati would be a rational alternative to an Aprilia? Whoever thought that Ducati parts would be "cheap and readily available" when compared to Aprilia?

kid!icarus
12-09-2005, 11:47 AM
1. No
2. Yes
3. MV Agusta

FutIsle
12-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I have already jumped ship. Not that I didn't like my Aprilias, I loved them but I like to have a change now and then. V Twins are great but my CB1300 gives me what I want, just in a different way. I won't knock the bikes Aprilia puts out. The company, on the other hand, has always tested our loyalty and Piaggios preference for developing the Guzzi range first makes the loyalty test increasingly difficult to pass. In the end, its not the brand you ride, its the bike.

evandewan
12-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Although my mille r is an '02, it has only been on the road since September and has less than 2500 miles. I anticipate this bike will carry me through the "drought" and I won't have to think about replacing it until the floodgate of new 'prillers has opened. The brand has (had?) a certin cache that attracted me, the styling was distinctly Italian, and my large frame (fat a**) fits well on a European bike. Once I rode one (futura), I was hooked. A replacement? It has to give me the emotional things I get from owning/riding/hanging-on to the mille. Many buy bikes for performance numbers and superior handling, I will never be a rider(limited capabilities) that can ride a bike at that level.That makes for a short list of replacements: MV, Some Ducatis, or my dad's '66 Bonneville if I could talk him into selling it!

jimbo77
12-10-2005, 11:12 AM
No I4.
Maybe V4.
Already purchased another...

I love my 02 R, and will keep it in the stable as long as I can ride it. Parts may be difficult, but I can do the work myself. She's a keeper.

As far as another bike, I just purchased an '05 BMW R1200ST. A great sport tourer. Something the wife can enjoy with me. And a long life machine at the same time. My garage looks quite nice now, and for some time to come....:)

Louge
12-10-2005, 11:44 AM
3. Not sure. would probably buy a track day bike and a BMW 1200GS Adventure or KTM Adventure. :worship:

Like Hank, i'd like to see the 550 motor in a bike that i could just use to carve up the twisties and then i'd buy one of the above for trips.

1. No
2. Possibly
3. Fuckin' A Zeeowh :burnout:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4594841657&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
http://www.detroiteurocycles.com/images/auctions/950black.jpg

falco03
12-10-2005, 11:56 AM
interesting questions. but, IMHO, the twin is too ingrained into the euro thinking. i would find it hard to believe that aprilia would ultimately abandon their twin after such a reliable history.
anyway, i'd entertain anything from them. v-4 or i-4.
if it wasn't worth considering, i'd go to triumph, then MV, then ducati.

Zeeowh
12-11-2005, 02:15 AM
ooooooh Louge, that's what i'm talking about. That looks great in black, haven't seen one of those on the road here, only orange and silver.
Man they're just so tempting. No cops and less tintops on the dirt.... and lets face it, Australia does have a few dirt roads that i could explore. :cheers:

lawman800
12-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Yes.
Yes.
Going back to the MV even though I gave one up to go back to Aprilia. Oh well, it's a vicious cycle.

bull*ramus
12-11-2005, 08:15 AM
1. no way (sound awful)
2. absolutely - v4's rock
3. ducati or moto guzzi

Bene
12-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Not to be too critical here guys but some of you are starting to sound a bit Harley rider'ish .

"No don't change a thing or I'll leave, hell no I won't buy a water cooled bike even if it is the best bike you've ever made by far "

Hell I'd buy a electric bike if it performed well ,and that probably wouldn't be from Aprilia but if they did build it I'd consider it !

By the way thay are coming and they'll be fast .
A electric motocrosser can already beat a gas powered bike on a track at race distance . :eek:

GeoR
12-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Since the MV dealer is the Ducati dealer I doubt that I'll get a Brutale 910 next.
If and when service and parts gets resolved a 06 Tuono would be my first choice ...or maybe a KTM?

mfbRSV
12-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Nope
Mmmm...maybe
Another BMW

I hope my next bike is a street version SVX 550. Still plan to keep my '01-R for street & track until the SVX becomes available, then it will become track only again. I'm counting on Aprilia to get their act together. :burnout:

Red
12-11-2005, 08:57 PM
We need a superbike bad, one that will be race at least in WSBK. Aprilia Racing on the side of the bike means something. We know the company can build good bikes..............Nuff said

thrillaprilla
12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm sticking with my two Aprilias...

...or rather I'm stuck with em.

LUCKY DAVE
12-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Right now I have a Tuono and two i4's in my garage. And a big single. (and 4 other bikes). I never liked the Interceptor (complicator) as it weighed a ton, so V4's are probably out, unless Aprilia has the smarts to produce a "big bang" design. And I am quick to admit the i4's from Japan are the top dogs of performance at this time.
That being said, I like the feel of twins for the street, they're fast enough for public roads, and I'm done racing (I think). I would pay serious money for a 330 pound minimalist twin with 130 hp. Any displacement is fine, as long as it's big.
$40K wouldn't be out of the question.

Are you listening, Aprilia?

GeoR
12-11-2005, 11:06 PM
. I would pay serious money for a 330 pound minimalist twin with 130 hp.

Is that all or would you like a bottle of chianti to go with that? I've been begging for a 360lbs/100hp/60 ft-lbs twin for years!

Ricky J
12-11-2005, 11:40 PM
This thread's title sure has a "newborn in the dumpster" ring to it..."abandon"...you mean, like a crack baby? :D

Nahhh. What Piaggio does or doesn't do probably won't have too much short-term effect on the pair of Aprilias already in my garage. It WILL make a huge difference in any decision to buy more of 'em!

kiwifalco
12-12-2005, 05:31 AM
.......the new K1200R. One of these I would & the spanking 999 of now without the feebles... merry xmas...:)
:cheers:

Smoke Eater
12-12-2005, 09:36 AM
My brand loyalty is basically gone at this point. Still, my 02 Mille is the best bike I've owned. At this point, I'd be buying a bike and not a brand. That 675 Triumph looks pretty sweet to me at the moment. Not a UJM sportbike.

If Aprilia comes out with another great bike then I'll be back on board but that new Tuono is outrageously ugly. My hopes are not high.

mod88
12-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Brand loyalty doesnt really count until theres reason to test your loyalty. I guess now more than ever its up to the test. I would like to say I would switch to guzzi but most likely I would move to mv, i have a thing for matte black, so the spr would be my choice. next to that I like the k1200r also.

vsgofast
12-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Now, I think of it I want Aprilia to make an I4 so I can whup the big litre I4 Japanese bikes once and for all...

Rick T Reloaded
12-13-2005, 12:15 AM
>snip<...What Piaggio does or doesn't do probably won't have too much short-term effect on the pair of Aprilias already in my garage...>snip<

You have TWO Aprilias? What's the "other" one...?

Ricky J
12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
*Black & red 2000.5 RSV
*Ash gray 2002 RST Futura

No other motorbikes in the garage.

Firebolter
12-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm stickin just cause I love mine so much. My Falco has been dead reliable and trouble free, so much so I bought a left over 04. If they abandoned ROTAX and the V-twin, I'll buy up a 06 or 07 while they still make'em the way I want.

I have a Ducati, and while it's okay, no way I'd rather have a Duc over an Aprilia if I had to choose. Hell I like my Buell better than my Duc!

ChicagoFactory
12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
I posted this in another post but thought it would be better here.

Speaking of V4's, the orginal V4 King of the Hill, the Vmax, is in Motorcyclist mag this month. It has pictures of the soon to be all new Vmax from Yamaha. It looks bad ass. It will be all new and with modern components, but no specs were given. It would be either an 07-or 08 model. This made me think of the this thread. If I were looking for a V4, I would seriously look at this new Vmax.

RSV_Ecosse
12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I......, like a lot of folks here, went from a long list of Inline 4's to a Mille, which was my first big V-Twin.

I chose it over a Duc 998, because of a lot of reasons, not least the running costs and reliability ones.

Having been fed a diet of inline 4's over my biking years from the early 80's, I'm glad I finally made the switch to the twin.

Ain't no way I'm going back.

I'll stick with Aprilia, I've always said one of my dream bikes would be a Haga or an Edwards rep, and that still stands.

Before I buy an MV ( which is next on my list to try ), I'll own one of the above reps.

Aprilia have given me a bike that I love riding and have more than tenfold been paid back in enjoyment for the purchase price I put in to begin with.

I feel I owe it somewhat, to the marque, that I stick with 'em for the forseable future. :)

Smoke Eater
12-14-2005, 09:17 AM
For the record, in case anyone is listening, I would be very interested in a quality V-4 or a 550 twin....probably both. My newest bike is now 4 years old and I'm itching to buy something.

Has anyone noticed the number of people interested in the MV? I wonder what the demographics are for forum members. It seems like we all have a lot of disposable income.

smrst45
12-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Has anyone noticed the number of people interested in the MV? I wonder what the demographics are for forum members. It seems like we all have a lot of disposable income.[/QUOTE]

Either that or alot of wet dreams.

maverickma
12-14-2005, 03:02 PM
If the parts delivery continues to remain non-existent through May 2006, I'm trading my 2004 RSVR in for a Ducati 999. I'm at my boiling point with this incompitent company and I've been a customer for 3 months.

RSV_Ecosse
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I hope I'm not talking "out of turn" here, dinae want to ruffle any feathers, but I'm thinking the availability of parts is:-

To some extent, Regional based?
Affects the 2004 onwards bikes more than the previous models?

Owned my 2000 Mille for over 2 years now, and I've never had a problem obtaining parts for it from my local Aprilia dealer ( Jim Allan M/C's in Falkirk ) nor the small, independant outfit I use for main servicing ( JK Motorcycles in Stirling ).

Maybe takes longer when I order something, compared to say......my previous Jap tackle, but often, no more than 4 days.

Maybe I'm just lucky to have these two good outfits near me to use? :)

As for "disposable income", I'm a Firefighter and my wage isn't fantastic by any manner of means ( I didn't join up for the money....;) ), and my missus is a head legal cashier for a law firm, she's on a pretty good wage, compared to me.

We have no kids yet, I dont smoke, I do drink, but I dont go out every week, nor do I have any other expensive hobbies/pursuits. Most of my "disposable income" gets spent on the bike. We run two cars, and I'm thinking of going for a different one next year to replace my main one, but I'm not talking exotica, I wouldn't waste too much cash on a cage.

So, in short, what I'm trying to say, is that anything I spend on my current bike or a new one for that matter, ain't no strain on the pocket because of my personal circumstances. I think if you are passionate about two wheels as I am, as are many others, money doesn't come into the equation, not least up until a certain point anyways.

If I like something and I want it, I'll just buy it. It's pretty much as plain as that. :)

Maybe I'm in a lucky position to be able to do so, its not any kind of "e-brag", it's just the way I think!!

evandewan
12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Once the cigarrettes, alcolhol, drugs, and kids moved out; I can afford an MV! You just have to decide where you dispose of your disposable income:)

rdbandkab
12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
If Aprilia moves away from the twin or if they go in another direction with their Futura follow-up sprort-tourer, I may look elsewhere..... I'm only interested in a long haul bike for two....so far the Futura's been the only one for me and my better half.

But...... If the worst happens: Maybe a nice adventure touring Beemer that is comfy 2 up?
I have alot of time to think about it... THe Fut's only has 30k on it.....

squidwardo
12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Interesting thing. My wife agreed to my either selling or trading in my Edwards for a 2005 MV, as long as it was a biposto. Hell, if you look at the numbers, none of the European bikes sell well, so it is possible to find deals out there. Aprilia just appears to be in the worst position financially, so they are doing anything to move units.

That said, I could not find anyone who was willing to take the Aprilia in on trade, even Aprilia dealers and not one bite when I tried to sell her. I might end up keeping her, and I won't mind. I just found it interesting.

As for parts, I think it is an Italian thing. I had to order a replacement front wheel for my bike. Aprilia ended up sending the wrong wheel two times from Italy before they actually got the correct one.

vsgofast
12-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I think it would be very difficult to sell an Aprilia now. No parts, poor or non existent dealer network, and lots of bikes still sitting on the showroom floor. Right now, my bike needs some work but the dealer won't even attempt it because they don't know when parts will be available from Aprilia. At this stage of the game if you own an Aprilia you better like it because you're going to have it for a long time....

moss2481
12-15-2005, 04:29 AM
Love my bike. Don't want to sell. However, how can one jump ship if you don't have a ship to jump from. My bike has been out of service since July 2005. FIVE MONTHS:WTF: . I really do not want to buy an I4, but right now I am paying for a bike that I do not even have:bs: :pissed:

2stroke
12-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I'm keeping mine for as long as I possibly can. 01 Mille. If Ebay or AF1 doesn't have what I need, odds are I don't need it that bad. But waiting for 5-8 months for something new from the factory is a bit of a pain in the ass. But I really only have had to do that once so far... or twice actually. But as it comes down, I'm not jumping ship. This bike has been nothing but great for and to me. I don't do anything that would justify having more horsepower and supposedly a best of the class handling assembly line squid bike... I love my V-twin just fine. And I would ride this thing until I can't find parts anymore, and then bury it into the side of some empty honda civic.. you know, to miss the dog in the street?

Seriously, I'm not selling mine. And I wouldn't trade it in for anything. I may add to my garage, (I think 3 aprilia's and 3 others are enough right now...) but this is one that isn't going anywhere.

NeoGeniX
12-15-2005, 07:50 AM
It really surprises me that in a couple of months people go from a relatively optimistic view to the future of aprilia to complete pessimism and talking about abandoning the brand. J/k it doesnt take half a year to reorganize a multimillion dollar company... Maybe it is because of the winter that everyone is depressed because they cant ride their bikes..

FutIsle
12-15-2005, 07:56 AM
I think the problem is that motorcyclists tend to change their bikes periodically and there is nothing exactly new to buy from Aprilia. Its a bit depressing when other manufacturers are bringing out new product all the time. Life is sweet if you are a MG owner though...

squidwardo
12-15-2005, 08:29 AM
When I own a bike, I am like a husband who cannot remain faithful to his wife. I can walk in to almost any shop and find a bike I like. I don't want to take all of them home, but there are lots that I do.

The issues that I had with my wheels last Spring were really a buzz kill. I realized that although she is a wonderful bike, and very unique, there is a price to be paid. Aprilia USA was not standing behind their product and I certainly was not getting any support from them. Luckily, my dealer was just as pissed off as I was, so I had someone in my corner. Aprilia has a great product, but the brand has not instilled the kind of fanaticism that other Italian brands have. It's a shame that they can offer, what up to $4K off, and still people a reluctant to buy them. Also, don't fool yourself. Ducatis, MVs, Guzzis, etc...., none of them are flying off the floors either. Every Italian dealer I go into has plenty of left over units sitting on their floor.

I don't know if purchasing another Italian bike is the answer. There seems to be a bit of arrogance to a lot of these Italian bike companies. I am on the fence about purchasing a Japanese liter bike. They seem to lack personality and owning one puts me in league with just about every wheelie riding squid on the road. Thing is, they are reliable, parts are readily available, and for about half the money they are lot of bike.

kzmille
12-15-2005, 08:45 AM
...The issues that I had with my wheels last Spring were really a buzz kill. I realized that although she is a wonderful bike, and very unique, there is a price to be paid. Aprilia USA was not standing behind their product and I certainly was not getting any support from them...
What was the problem with your wheels?

Smoke Eater
12-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Firefighter here too.

I haven't had any problems with parts. Seacoast has been Aprilia's saving grace in the North East anyway.

squidwardo
12-15-2005, 10:21 AM
I was using a swingarm stand, and it did not fully engage the buttons. When I went to put the bike up on the stand, it came off the button and took a chunk out of my rear wheel.

I decided to replace the rear wheel, and when the new one arrived it was a different color than the front. The dealer spoke with Aprilia and we ordered a second one. That one came in the wrong color. That is when we determined the original wheels on the bike were the problem. They were the wrong color. More purple than blue.

I called Aprilia and they told me I must be wrong. They would never make a mistake like that. Never heard of it, it would never happen. I kept calling Aprilia with no luck. Eventually they agreed to have me send both the damaged rear and front to them for inspection. Turns out there must have been some problem with the color application, because they were not correct. Aprilia USA did not have a front in stock, so they had to order one from Italy. That came in wrong, so they had to order another. That came in wrong, but on the third try they got it right.

O.K., we now had a matching front and rear wheel. Problem now is they don't want to send my damaged rear back to me. We eventually got it all sorted out. Unfortunately, the front I received is far from perfect, but at least the color matches. My dealer got screwed, because Aprilia made them pay for all of the shipping back and forth. When I suggested to them it might be a good idea to reimburse the dealer, they told me that was not something they could do.

Never in my life have I purchased what I would consider to be a high end product, only to have the manufacturer not stand behind their product. As I pointed out to the folks at Aprilia USA, I don't know of a single stand alone Aprilia dealer. Aprilia does not have a huge market presence in the U.S. That said, Aprilia needs it's dealers and customers more than those dealers and customers need Aprilia. It might be a good idea to stand behind and support their product, because obviously the majority of consumers are not buying it, and Aprilia needs to protect the ones who do.

As has been pointed out in another thread, Aprilia has only sold, what, about 1800 bikes in the U.S. this year? What the hell are they doing pissing off their dealers and customers?

vsgofast
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I love my Aprilia but it just feels that I'm a participant in a shotgun wedding.

Rick T Reloaded
12-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I will be attending the Int'l Motorcycle Show this weekend in San Jose, CA. I plan on persuading the Aprilia reps to throw me a bone about the '07 bikes. Anyone who attended other shows see if they could do this?

I'm very serious about wanting a "new" bike in my garage, but if in a few months, when the '07s roll around and Aprilia releases a kick-ass, all-new bike... I'll be hating life if I jumped the gun too quickly. Since I'm keepinig my '02 R, I'm entertaining the thought of getting the sharpest tool from the Land of the Rising Sun - :eek: . I like how the '06 R6 looks and assume that the '07 R1 will be that much better. I also have an '02 Triumph Speed Four which has been very reliable and a kick in the pants to ride (street AND track) - I plan on keeping it too.

If I you plan to keep your Aprilia for whatever reason and ADD a new bike to your garage, is it wrong to "abandon" Aprilia (not stay loyal) and go with something else?

It's gonna be a loooong year... :tired:

No Quarter
12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I like my current Aprilias. (A matched pair of '04 Factories one street one race)
I raced a 2000.5 R for the last two seasons without major issues.

I love my Factory street bike so I purchased a used one to race next year. I look forward to it.

Not particular interest in inlines (probably, although I like the MV mabye for a street bike and the ZX-10 is very nice)

Ii would be very interested in a V4 street bike but to race? I doubt they will be able to compete with the current big I4's.

If they don't come up with something new in the next couple of years I will probably pick up a I4 600 or 750 to race and a I4 1000 streeter.

Ricky J
12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I plan on persuading the Aprilia reps to throw me a bone about the '07 bikes.

An old friend has a saying, "Wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans!"

Good luck with that, Rick T! And even if you hear something (apart from Divine Laughter that is...) would you believe it? But go ahead and tell us anyway, we'll try hard not to :chuckle:

RSV_Ecosse
12-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Firefighter here too.

The name is a bit of a giveaway.......:)

Rick T Reloaded
12-15-2005, 12:10 PM
An old friend has a saying, "Wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans!"

Good luck with that, Rick T! And even if you hear something (apart from Divine Laughter that is...) would you believe it? But go ahead and tell us anyway, we'll try hard not to :chuckle:

:micah: <--- me, Aprilia Rep---> :rambo: me again---> :nutts: <--- Aprilia Rep

I know... its hopeless... :(

medburd
12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Right now I have a Tuono and two i4's in my garage. And a big single. (and 4 other bikes). I never liked the Interceptor (complicator) as it weighed a ton, so V4's are probably out, unless Aprilia has the smarts to produce a "big bang" design. And I am quick to admit the i4's from Japan are the top dogs of performance at this time.
That being said, I like the feel of twins for the street, they're fast enough for public roads, and I'm done racing (I think). I would pay serious money for a 330 pound minimalist twin with 130 hp. Any displacement is fine, as long as it's big.
$40K wouldn't be out of the question.

Are you listening, Aprilia?

Well Dave it seems someone has that in the works already....check it out...http://www.roehrmotorcycles.com/wst_page4.html and it seems quite a bit less than $40k.

novos
12-16-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah :)

you can see where the difference in Italian styling, where you get an instant hard-on, and that roehr bike... that looks like one of those cheapass pocketbikes from the front :rolleyes:

jwa1
12-16-2005, 10:53 PM
i am a member of almost every cycle forum, and it's funny to see that there are a lot of the same issues from bike to bike. all i can say is " the only way i drop my aprilia is if i actually totall her. and even then i'm still staying with a twin set up" this is probably the kiss of death, but thats just the way it goes sometimes.:confused:

No Quarter
12-17-2005, 12:48 PM
I like the fact that I'm the only dude racing aprilia at wmrra (not including two novices that showed up this year, and who I hope stick around next year)

The twins are already too fast for the street. (175mph not enough???)

And the twins race classes at my club are competitive without being cutthroat. In the I-4 classes a win can mean as much as $3500 with all the contingency mioney. That makes many of the bulls see red....

I consider the twins classes "gentlemans" classes. Which by the way doesn't exactly mean slow... Our champion was running the occasional 1:28 lap.

Prilliant03
12-19-2005, 09:46 PM
I did desert Aprilia and it was the biggest mistake of my life (well, appart from my marriage).

My Multistrada has served me well and is a lot of fun inspite of is fugly styling (it really does grow on you and it's a very versatile bike with a few simple mods).

My 05 749 however was a great ride spoilt by stupid but potentially dangerous faults. A few weeks ago it decided to kill its' own headlights at 80mph in the dark, enough to kill me on an unlit,twisty road (fortunately I was on a motorway at the time). The sad thing is that it was a dream of a bike in the right conditions. Handling to die for, wonderful styling (in the 05 model) and an engine that could be exploited fully on the road without fear of launching myself through the nearest available hedge.

So now the 749 has been sold and the Multi will be following it soon. I'm coming back to Aprilia as my experience with 2 consecutive Falcos was faultless reliability and the charisma that only the italians seem able to instil in a bike.

As I'm going to be back to owning one bike I'll be hoping to find a Futura and will look into upgrading the suspension.

I'm sorry I ever left the fold:whiner:

Befbever
12-20-2005, 03:36 AM
1. No
2. No
3. Triumph, because of the triple engine. I'd never buy another Ducati.

team222
12-20-2005, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Rick T
So...

I wonder if anyone from "Aprilia" actually peeks at this forum? :cool:[/QUOTE]

1. I have owned hyper in line fours and would never buy another one .........nomatter who makes it

2. My friend owned an Inteceptor V4 and based on this alone I would never, ever, ever buy a V4, nomatter who the manufacturer was. The V4 is old school with Honda doing this in the early 80s, been done and frankly delivers a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry boring rider experience compared to other motor configurations. Aprilia might examine the reasoning behind Honda discontinuing all the V4s except the ST1300. Now an inline 6, V5 or V6 or a 1200cc twin....now that is a different matter!!!

3. Next Bike: My first bike in the early 60s was a BSA Goldstar road racer converted to street use which had no parts availablity and maybe 3 USA dealers that could help keep the bike running and to a lesser degree the same applies to my current vintage ride ....the CBX. Over the years I have learned that all great bikes eventually outlive the desire and capability of the manufacturer to support them and as such though I would like to see Aprilia get back on track, but if they dont, this would never make me rush out and sell my Aprilia. There is life outside and far beyond the seemingly unending incompetence of Corporate Piaggio/Aprilia for Aprilia motorcycles and owners....and you can count on this.

Count me in nomatter what unless a newer bike comes along that has more of what I want than our Aprilia does and I am not counting on this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

As far as "if anyone from Aprilia actually peeks at this forum" I have yet to see one Piaggio plan item materialize that addresses any of the items in this forum so they are:

a. Not reading the posts here
b. Reading them and ignoring them
c. Reading them and unable to figure out the basics on what to do to solve the problems/issues

Mike

le_turbo55
12-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm sure Aprilia's designs will always be unique regardless of engine formats. I'ld still buy Aprilias if their design is interesting.

lol I'm still trying to ditch the RS250 and save up for a 2003 Mille. RSVR would be a bonus.

Tee-Dub
12-20-2005, 10:52 PM
I did desert Aprilia and it was the biggest mistake of my life (well, appart from my marriage).

My Multistrada has served me well and is a lot of fun inspite of is fugly styling (it really does grow on you and it's a very versatile bike with a few simple mods).

I'm sorry I ever left the fold:whiner:

Prilliant, glad to see you'll be following me back into the fold! My Multistrada was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Should have kept the Falco and re-done the suspension.

I didn't give buying my 04 Factory a second thought. I figured Aprilia was on more stable ground now, but after reading this entire thread, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I do know that the Aprilia shouldn't need any major work like the Multistrada did, so if I can keep from damaging any more parts (see my thread about my bent front wheel :crybaby: ) I should be ok!

vsgofast
12-23-2005, 11:32 PM
For those of you who were thinking of jumping ship to Ducati--apparently their sales haven't been all that stellar except for here in the States. They are planning to "relaunch" the company...

kiwifalco
12-24-2005, 03:02 AM
I posted this in another post but thought it would be better here.

Speaking of V4's, the orginal V4 King of the Hill, the Vmax, is in Motorcyclist mag this month. It has pictures of the soon to be all new Vmax from Yamaha. It looks bad ass. It will be all new and with modern components, but no specs were given. It would be either an 07-or 08 model. This made me think of the this thread. If I were looking for a V4, I would seriously look at this new Vmax.
..... maybe just wait & see. What else is there to top it really.V4's are great for me & the way for thrash the jap crap line of entry.But the bottom line is rideable.In all honestly I love V-twins but if I have to I'll go to V4.:cheers:
P.S.The V configuration with the touch of soul,....well go figure huh....:cheers:

NorCalRSVR
12-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I honestly don't know. I've loved Aprilia's since I first laid eyes on one back in 1993. It was 125 OZ Futura that I saw in Aylesbury Kawasaki in the UK. It was f'ing awesome looking. The forks were bigger than the ones on my ZX-7 and the styling was just so exotic looking (for the day) that I just wanted one. When the salesman said it was a 125 I thought he was joking. Upon closer inspection I saw he wasn't. I still remember the raw look of the CNC machined top triple with "aprilia racing" stamped in. When I saw the first Mille here in the US I thought, maybe I can actually own one now. The fact that it was a twin really got my interest up. I wanted a Ducati at the time because it was what I thought a motorcycle should be. Slim in the middle with a purposeful uncluttered design. I looked hard at both the Superhawk and TL1000 when they came out as an alternate but both were too porky, too cluttered and well, ugly. When the RC-51 and TL1000R came out, I looked at them also. I found that although I liked the sound of the TL, it was still too cluttered and too porky. The RC looked more like what I was after. After sitting on one for a while I felt like it was still too porky across the middle. A proper twin should be narrow in the middle. The only bikes that fit that description were Ducati and Aprilia. I figured at the time, Aprilia was still out of reach as I thought they were over the 15K mark. Then I found my Mille-R. It was actually opportunity meeting preperation (my highschool football coach's definition of luck) when I found it. I actually went to Marin Ducati looking for a 996. I found one, but parked right next to it was the Mille-R. What a choice to have to make. My two dream bikes parked right next to eachother, me with cash in hand for the down payment, and only the choice to be made. Needless to say, I still want a Ducati or 3 even but would I buy another Aprilia? Absolutely. If Aprilia makes another bike, regardless of cylinder configuration, that makes me drool, lose sleep over, and heart pound everytime I see one then absolutely. It's more about passion than outright performance to me. I can't use all the performance of the Mille R that I own right now so what would the point be......sean

bird
12-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Yea, they have parts problems, yea they may not come out of this the same company and products and yea the resale sucks because of all this and more but from what I know the service and parts aren't higher than Honda's for instance and the Futura is still the only bike that fit what I was looking for so if they revamp it and bring it out again it will have to be the primary choice again.

Arnie
12-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Then I found my Mille-R. It was actually opportunity meeting preperation (my highschool football coach's definition of luck) when I found it. I actually went to Marin Ducati looking for a 996. I found one, but parked right next to it was the Mille-R. What a choice to have to make. My two dream bikes parked right next to eachother, me with cash in hand for the down payment, and only the choice to be made. Needless to say, I still want a Ducati or 3 even but would I buy another Aprilia? Absolutely. If Aprilia makes another bike, regardless of cylinder configuration, that makes me drool, lose sleep over, and heart pound everytime I see one then absolutely. It's more about passion than outright performance to me. I can't use all the performance of the Mille R that I own right now so what would the point be......sean

Well said Sean. I found myself in the same predicament in Jan '04. I really wanted a Ducati but not the Tereblanche 999 design. So I searched and found a brand new '02 998 in yellow. The bike was in AZ and I lived in MN at the time. I was all set to book a flight to buy the bike with cash in hand when out of the blue I decided to stop by my local dealer just for the heck of it. Sitting on the floor was an '04 Factory with the Leo pipes. I was star struck - I had researched Aprilia's before and I had seen the '04 in mags but not in person. The minute my dealer started up the bike and I heard the twin song coming out of the Leo's I was done like dinner. Needless to say I bought the Factory instead of the 998.

Do I still want a Duc? Sure. Worth leaving Aprilia for? Nope. I've ridden the 999 '03 and '05 model and was not impressed. Don't know if the S model is any better though. Certainly the R would be an experience I'm sure.

Leave Aprilia for a Jap bike? Not even a consideration. I have an '03 gixxer 1K in the garage. I hardly ride it. The pleasure and enjoyment I get out of the Factory is incomparable. The gixxer feels like an everyday commuter versus the Factory being a true Italian exotic that it is.

With all of that said the issues facing Aprilia today do not scare me. With the limited amount of time that I ride nowadays due to family and work obligations, I want that time well spent on a truly great bike - for me my Factory is it.

AZ_GregB
12-25-2005, 02:43 PM
My '03 Colin Edwards is my first Aprilia, and I'm loving it. It was a toss up for me between it and the 999R, but the price tag and the appeal of having an uncommon (Edwards edition) bike essentially was the hook, line, and sinker.

I don't imagine buying another bike anytime soon. My starter was an F2 back in '96, then a Triumph Daytona T595 and a Ducati 916. If worst came to worst down the road, I'd probably go back to Ducati or Triumph.

ARAIHEAD
12-25-2005, 06:34 PM
You made the right choice,.... Ducati nice bike but too expensive to run.:)

lizard
12-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I will be jumping ship as soon as I can find a buyer for my 02 RSVR Flat black !!!

meeoch
12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
1. Nope
2. Maybe
3. Duc, Suzuki,

Cheers,
Mitch

EditTim
12-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Not me...
I love my bike, and since I've had it for only 6 months w/ 5k on the clock since new... I won't need another bike for 3-4 years I'm thinking... so Aprilia should be in great shape by then, maybe, hopefully...

1. ...inline-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one? No
2. ...V-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one? Probably
3. If Aprilia were no more... Duc maybe, MV, I don't know, I'll keep it Italian though...

Ally V60
12-27-2005, 10:55 AM
So...

Like many on here I fell in love with the mille the moment I set eyes on her :lover: , at the time it was one of the first in UK and it had me writern all over her. After 4 weeks of nagging the owner of the dealership it was mine.

1. Can't say yes or no, it would need to be vary special to sit alone side my mille.
2. yes, as long as it goes with the above.
3. 998 R

Chuck B
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I guess I'm a bit different than others here. At the time I was racing and was looking for a new bike for the upcoming season. I was heading back to the 600 class when the reviews began coming out about the Mille. Looks wise it was ok but nothing to make me look twice. What closed the deal was the "R" version and the fact the bike was nearly race ready. Previously I always spent a small fortune on suspension and knew with the Ohlins, Oz etc I was that much closer.

I bought the first one my local dealer got and immediately hit the local tracks. Only suspension mods were to the rear shock...spring and revalve. Added a slip on (Arrow Ti) and completed my first year on the twin. After going to all black and after seeing the 01 (didn't care for) my 00.5 really grew on me.

During off season I worked with Factory Pro for Chip development and did the standard mods. Half way through the second season I lost the lower crank rod and immediately bought a R6 to finish the season with. Damn if I wasn't nearly 2 sec faster on the stock R6. Since the engine was out I decided to update with Aprilia Stage 1 kit. After some more tuning got over 130hp and 80tq but never did race it again. A couple track days here and there but by this time I loved the my Mille and loved taking it out on the road.

I've kept this bike longer than any bike but life moves on and as most here know I'm parting it out. Not sure whats next but it will be form over function for my next new sportbike.

MrFeetZ
12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Interesting thing. My wife agreed to my either selling or trading in my Edwards for a 2005 MV, as long as it was a biposto. Hell, if you look at the numbers, none of the European bikes sell well, so it is possible to find deals out there. Aprilia just appears to be in the worst position financially, so they are doing anything to move units.

That said, I could not find anyone who was willing to take the Aprilia in on trade, even Aprilia dealers and not one bite when I tried to sell her. I might end up keeping her, and I won't mind. I just found it interesting.

As for parts, I think it is an Italian thing. I had to order a replacement front wheel for my bike. Aprilia ended up sending the wrong wheel two times from Italy before they actually got the correct one.

First, Id like to say hi to all. I've been reviewing the forums here for awhile and have gotten a lot of good info.... thanks. Ive got an 04 RSV that is nearing 2 years old and has about 13k miles. It's been a great bike with exception to the on-going clutch issues and a few prob w/ rear break.

However great I think my Aprilia is, I have serious reservations about the company. My confidence is shot with them. The dealer has been great and I've had a great mechanic. However, if a company cant back-up it's product with parts and service what good is the product?

I cant say it enough.. I LOVE MY RSV!!! But, in the end, Im afraid she'll just become a POS needing parts. So, Ive been thinking about a duc 999. It seems that they are a tad more reliable on the customer side. I'll have to test ride one a few times to see how it runs. An MV is a serious contender for me but, not for another year or so. My wife also has said an MV is a go, as long as its the two seat version. Who would of thought an MV as a second choice to keeping my existing bike??!?! Ive tested the waters and I guess I'm doing a little better than squidwardo. Ive been offered $8,000 for trade. I think that sucks! When I got my RSV two years ago, I traded my 02 Honda 954 for the same amount! :bangwall:

Tee-Dub
12-27-2005, 05:40 PM
So, Ive been thinking about a duc 999. It seems that they are a tad more reliable on the customer side. Good luck with that one!
An MV is a serious contender for me but, not for another year or so. Good luck finding a competent mechanic who has even seen one, let alone knows how to work on one.

maverickma
12-27-2005, 05:57 PM
My 98 Ducati 916 has 25,000 miles on it (including 3 years of track days) and Jack Trebour in NJ has kept her running nicely since her birth....they just replaced a worn rocker arm under the rocker arm program from Ducati as well.

The bike runs flawlessly and parts delivery is quick....not Harley quick...but quick.

Doug
98' 916
04' RSVR
00' Fatboy

Capsil21
12-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Well this is a heck of a thread. Most definately a broad cross section of opinions of likes and dislikes. We all have a common passion for our dear "prillers" otherwise we would not be so bewildered about their direction. I hope they can right things up for everyone.
Being raised on rice through my formitive years, I apreciated the wide range availibility, low cost, more mod freindly bikes they offered. Yeah they were vanilla throw-aways looking back, but thrills are thrills, cheap or otherwise.
So when I ventured over to Aprilia and a twin, it was a chance I took and haven't lost the grin yet. You all know what I mean. I'm not a road racer. In fact all my instincts were aquired early getting dirty. When the time was right, the road was not such a scary place. I own a Caponord and planned on keeping it when I bought it and haven't had any desire to "jump ship". I do feel for the fellow who has to wait for a oem part that can't be aquired aftermarket and wonder what I would do if I was in a similar situation.
I do know that routine maintenance and wrenching is a sinch, just dont crack the plastic .
Answers. 1 : No way .. I can't see it
2 : Have never ridden one..you never know. I suppose if I have to make a planter out of the Capo, I'd try it.
3 : If I wanted stir-fry, it would probably be Honda as the innovations continue. Triumph and MV would be on the short list.

Please ride safely

Elridor
12-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi

When i bought my 04 RSV, i was the happiest biker around. But i had doubts nontheless... Two of the five dealers in Quebec (my province in Canada) were closed within a few months and the bike had a few recall (swing arm, brake, clutch) that had not been taken care off in 12 months. But i saw the bike, i heard it and had to by it. The price was abnormaly good, way less then it should have been... Shoold have smell the shit comin....I was just too damn crazy over the bike.:lover:

Now, a few months later, the canadian distributor is reportably doomed (don't know who's gonna replace him...), the dealeship network is almost totaly collapsed and i suspect it will be entirely dead in a few months. In fact, we have two motorcycle byer's guides and both don't even mention the brand anymore. I suspect that my bike would be verry hard (if impossible) to sell, The company hasn't showed a sing for the recalls (it's just a life threatening defect after all...) and the only dealer who looked competant and trustworthy either lied in my face or was ignorant and careless over the maintenance specs. Just nowhere to turn too now:bangwall:

Will i consider trade this potential useless garage ornament, amazingly i can't! I just can't imagine being content over a japanese inline four. This type of engine just dosen't wake anything in me. When i ride the Aprilia every second is special. No bike has ever made me feel that way and i had 14 of them prior to this one. I sound like a fool in love? Well i am... I just hope i won't be too sorry when i will totally wake up.

Now...

Would i bye an inline four? I just ignore them...

Would i bye a V4? I had 3 VFR's, a Vmax and a V65 before the Aprilia... I kinda like V4.

Would i by another Aprilia? If they could just put out a decent customer service in Canada...sure thing.:burnout:

J-F:

duc slayer
12-29-2005, 02:53 PM
elridor, where abouts in quebec????? I'm in New york about 15-20 mi south of the border

Elridor
12-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Duc Slayer

We're almost neighbors, i live in Montreal, nearly 50 miles north of the border. I go in the Adirondacks surroundings (?) very often, your roads are way better than our motocross paths:gunner:

I mostly go in Vermont thought because there's way less cops and tickets there still don't have any effect (points) on my driving permit.... And, i like the 17 near Burlington, you must know what i'm talking about...;)

What Aprilia model are you riding? Where do you take it for maintenance? Do you (you must...) have a problem obtaining parts for your toy?

We should get together (?) when this white restriction will melt! You could show me some nice roads i've not discovered yet.

If you have a 03 (and down) black Mille, i might have seen you a couple of times on the 17 i mentioned before.

Happy New Year neighbor!:cheers:

duc slayer
12-29-2005, 04:33 PM
vermont is definitely the way to go, ever since 9-11 happened NY has become ridiculous, there's cops everywhere and their all DICKHEADS. It seems to be a requirement before you leave the police academy.

I've got an 04 factory and do most of the service requirements myself, but if something major needs to be done I'd have to bring it back to Seacoast (where i purchased it). It's about 3 and half hours one way but, their service is great, i also get the majority of my parts from them or right here off the forum. Fortunetly I haven't needed anything other then a few small things, no clutch or brake issue's (sp), yet, anyway

yeah we'll have to get together when all this white crap goes away, i'll be in touch this spring

Ergo
12-29-2005, 05:01 PM
So far so good. My ETV1000 Caponord has been nothing short of an excellent mount. :)

I'm currently lusting over another Aprilia...the RXV 450/550. :lover: If they bring it over, it's between that and the new Husqvarna TE450/510 Dual sports. Funny how they are both Italian! :cheers:

kzmille
08-01-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm not really a big fan of Japanese bikes ..the styling is atrocious. I would prefer to stay with Aprilia V4 or I4 it doesn't matter. I have the RSV so I'm going to ride that for a long time...parts willing.

I'm keeping my eye on Triumph...or maybe Buell can make a deal with Rotax and put the Mille engine in their frames!!!!

Also the Piaggio 3 wheeler is kind of cool---just kidding
Brilliant vsgofast. Not exactly the Mille engine, maybe even better.

maverickma
08-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Ummm.....I sold my Aprilia for a new Triumph Daytona 675 this past December. 2900 miles and two track days later, I'm much happier now....all of my Aprilia problems have been solved.

vsgofast
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
KZmille

I'm keeping a real close eye on Buell. I'm waiting to hear what the reviewers think of the Buell 1125r...as they say... Ask and ye shall receive!!

joecop30
08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
all this talk about bad things happening at Aprilia spooks me. I've had I4's all my life, eight sportbikes and they were all "the same". Except for the last the 2004 ZX10R, that bike scared the hell out of me. I loved the acceleration but the lofty front wheel and lack of steering damperwere "interesting"

I just got word from Steve at AF1 Racing and I should be a RSVR owner in a couple of weeks. I am very much looking forward to experiencing the V-Twin phenomenom. I hope there isnt a "fly in the ointment" that I dont know about.....bueller....bueller

Italijet
08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
all this talk about bad things happening at Aprilia spooks me.

I just got word from Steve at AF1 Racing and I should be a RSVR owner in a couple of weeks. I am very much looking forward to experiencing the V-Twin phenomenom. I hope there isnt a "fly in the ointment" that I dont know about.....bueller....bueller

Check the date of the replies prior to the last 3, all are 2005 and earlier. The problems that Aprilia had in those days have all but gone.

Most dealers (UK anyway) can now order direct online with the Factory and receive the required parts within 3 days.

ZeroTwoRSV
08-01-2007, 03:21 PM
It's like anything else, when things are good, they are very good, , ,

The real shame is that it is not the bike itself, but the lack (historically) of parent company assistance and parts distribution. The hard part was not getting a dealer network throughout the states, it was keeping them on board!

Flash forward 9 years, many Aprilia loyalists here, and most of the problems are simply a shortage of parts and/or dealers near by.

You'll be happy with your purchase, and then some little glitch will drive you crazy, then, 3 months later, it will all be over, and you'll be happy again

team222
08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
It's like anything else, when things are good, they are very good, , ,

The real shame is that it is not the bike itself, but the lack (historically) of parent company assistance and parts distribution. The hard part was not getting a dealer network throughout the states, it was keeping them on board!

Flash forward 9 years, many Aprilia loyalists here, and most of the problems are simply a shortage of parts and/or dealers near by.

You'll be happy with your purchase, and then some little glitch will drive you crazy, then, 3 months later, it will all be over, and you'll be happy again

My summary for the USA is as follows. Aprilia designs and manufacturers great, great bikes.........nothing else after that works.

There are a few great dealers in the USA........AF1 being in a league of their own, but the constant worry/hassle of taking trips and no dealers on route and bs about parts, dealers kicking Aprilia out or dropping the franchise, possible breakdowns and being stranded, few competent mechanics and Aprilias projected sales in 2007 after being in the USA for 5+ years of 2,000 bikes........... is more than enough for me never take another bite out of the Piaggio/Aprilia apple.....as in never.

Mike

ckruzel
08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
doesn't matter to me where i'm at, af1 is only a phone call away

as for buell - YUCH!

kz what made you dig up this ole thread?

vsgofast
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey did anyone ever get an Aprilia calendar or is it scheduled for 2008.5 release?

kzmille
08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
...kz what made you dig up this ole thread?
Well, I was just poking around for something and found where vsgofast had suggested on 12-8-2005 that Buell and Rotax do something together.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=803190&postcount=15

Though the Buell is not exactly my cup of tea, I always thought it might be quite a bike with a real engine. Pretty good thinking on the part of vsgofast.

joecop30
08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Check the date of the replies prior to the last 3, all are 2005 and earlier. The problems that Aprilia had in those days have all but gone.

Most dealers (UK anyway) can now order direct online with the Factory and receive the required parts within 3 days.

Good to hear, thanks. I thought Aprilia was on solid footing....that is reassuring

teacherboy
08-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I just read this whole thread. Who are you? You must be the Amazing Kreskin with the Buell/Rotax partnership. Brilliant call.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
KZmille

I'm keeping a real close eye on Buell. I'm waiting to hear what the reviewers think of the Buell 1125r...as they say... Ask and ye shall receive!!

vsgofast
08-02-2007, 10:49 AM
My prediction is that Colin Edwards will win a MotoGP race in...:)

Chris_Mag
08-02-2007, 11:28 AM
My prediction is that Colin Edwards will win a MotoGP race in...:)

...2 days, while playing a copy of MotoGP2 on his laptop on an airplane.

vsgofast
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Ouch! but a good one!!:cheers:

ZeroTwoRSV
08-02-2007, 04:34 PM

Most dealers (UK anyway) can now order direct online with the Factory and receive the required parts within 3 days.In the UK it would be, as for the US, let's just say I had my bird repaired at a non-Aprilia dealer due to over a month of waiting on a part from my Aprilia dealer that was "back-ordered". The worst part (and I am bitter) is that I only found out because I kept calling them. Well, that and the fact that they had broken the part originally :whiner: Here is an idea, let your customer know the part is nowhere near :bangwall:

This of course is yet another tale of poor dealership, not Aprilia / Rotax, yet tends to make me wonder. Along the same lines, I have had a terrible time of having a plumber call me back too, so maybe it is just me :)

Zeeowh
08-02-2007, 06:18 PM
KZmille

Yeh I'm with Chris.. that 1125r is one hell ugly motorcycle!! I really don't know what they were thinking with that 916 style front fairing that looks like it is melting down either side of the bike... ugly indeed which is a shame as the specs look interesting to say the least.

Chris

DeBenGuzzi
08-12-2007, 11:15 AM
OMG, you ppl are funny, AT LEAST your motor is third party so that has to make it easier to get parts for the drivetrain? My guzzi, here in the states? The parts battle? trust me the Ape's are winning in some areas the only thing Guzzi has going for it(older models and parts) is that they're super easy to fabricate and the people who ride them are uber dedicated. Heck half the upgrades on my bike are from average joes (with engineering degrees) that fabricated some bits :worship: . I'm looking to get an Ape now, I wanted a 1098 but the costs of ownership and the arrogance of their loyalist drives me from it. Back to the motor if buell stole away rotax who/where is aprilia going to get their motors from :WTF: or did aprilia leave rotax, I'm not on the up and up as they say. As far as future bikes go I'm staying italian either MV, Guzzi, or Ducati if not an ape.

kzmille
08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
OMG, you ppl are funny, AT LEAST your motor is third party so that has to make it easier to get parts for the drivetrain?.........................Back to the motor if buell stole away rotax who/where is aprilia going to get their motors from...or did aprilia leave rotax...
It doesn't seem to work that way as the only place to get parts is from aprilia. If they are in stock in country it is not a problem but if not in stock there is no telling how long the wait will be.

The Rotax engine in the Buell is completely different than the one in the aprilia. Since aprilia is bringing out 08 models with the V60 Rotax engine I don't think there has been any break between Rotax and aprilia.

zemf
08-15-2007, 01:23 AM
I'd have to say hell yeah... v-twin or not.
i'm sure it'd be bad ass.

Zeeowh
08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=kzmille;1518654]It doesn't seem to work that way as the only place to get parts is from aprilia. If they are in stock in country it is not a problem but if not in stock there is no telling how long the wait will be. QUOTE]

That is not only an Aprilia problem. I have an 05 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike and i was waiting 3.5 months for some parts for that!! :mad:

No Quarter
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=DeBenGuzzi;1518128] I'm looking to get an Ape now, I wanted a 1098 but the costs of ownership and the arrogance of their loyalist drives me from it. /QUOTE]

Thats funny and kinda true, I bought a 1098S and even BMW riders wave to me now.:happy: But to be honest the bike has been problem free for the first 3500 miles.

The street duc guys are pretty funny, kinda like HD RUBs with sportbikes. But to be fair, there is a hardcore group of racers that run the ducs and some of them are pretty dang talanted.

Unfortunately the 1098 is pretty dang amazing (or fortunately depending on your point of view) I think the new V4 aprilia will have to be very good!!!!

At least for now, if you want to race a V-Twin and be competitive you're gonna end up on a 1098...

I love my aprilias, but even with the big bore motor (about 140rwhp on pump gas, add mabye 6-7 for race fuel), if everything is equal, the 1098 walks away on long straights...

Piaggio are engine designers and manufacturers, as soon as the merger was announced I knew that the rotax would not be long for the aprilia.

Hopefully they design a cool and competitive V-twin, but I doubt it.

Anyway the V4 should be pretty cool, Honda has pretty much stated that their next Superbike will be a V4 and The Desmo is sposed to arriving soon.

V4's are pretty cool!

olie
08-17-2007, 05:58 PM
...Piaggio are engine designers and manufacturers, as soon as the merger was announced I knew that the rotax would not be long for the aprilia.

Agreed and Obvious!!

Hopefully they design a cool and competitive V-twin, but I doubt it.
....!
Apparently the 750 Shiver engine has very good reviews. Time will tell us. As a side note, and not defending Piaggio, you can see several of my posting about that, Piaggio better scooter engines than Rotax. I know they are very small engines...

Jack_RSV
08-19-2007, 12:38 PM
When times are tough, I look for an Agusta -> 2 reasons why I'd like to choose an MV

Unique as an Aprilia and you don't care on any upgrade or something cool.

She's cool starring @ her only :lover: so I don't mind to buy any upgrade :cathat:

:cool:

joeybeppy
08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
If I don't get some luck soon, I will. My RSV and RST over the last two years have had embarrassing problems that my Hardly buddys are having the time of their lives paying me back on. It's getting old. Unfortunetly I'm finding myself getting my fifteen year old Honda out, knowing that I'll make the trip with no problems :whiner: The stress of not knowing if either Ape will get me from A to B, is very nerving, especially when I've paid more for them then the typical Jap bikes :pissed::bangwall: I hate being this way, especially after I've been such an Aprilia supporter, and having dozens go to our brand from seeing my successes. Maybe it's just my luck :fangs: lately :confused: ?

Disappointed, lost, confused, embarrassed, hurt, but hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel I can see is good ol' luck returning. It's probably just carma hitting me for all the Hardly abuse I've dished out over the years :bangwall:

:chillpill

jetfever
08-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I will not buy an I4.....a V4....yes

:plus: Exactly!

Smoke Eater
08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
I will buy another Aprilia. They're amazing bikes. I haven't been too crazy about the recent styling but mechanically they're great. I prefer twins but a good I-4 like the MV or a stompin' V-4 would be cool too.

If anyone from Aprilia is reading this, a light weight smaller displacement sportbike is the top of my list. I'd also still go for the Blue Marlin. That was a classy looking machine.

But to answer the question, no I'm not going to abandon Aprilia.

apriliamaster
08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I jumped ship for one season and hated myself all last summer for doing it. This year the V-twin Gods blessed me with a low miles yellow 01 RSV mille R (this is my 3rd aprilia owned) and its sooooooo good to be home once more. The newer mille's with more hp and torque, while they are inviting, just don't do it for me personally. I did a demo ride on one and like the comfy ergo's of the older mille better. (must be getting old)

Dancer
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM

So...

No

yes

DUCATI

Im all about the v-twins but a v-4 might be interesting

BigK
08-30-2007, 09:18 PM
I love my V-2.. I'm done with I4's. I would have to look at Duc or Maybe the new Buell with our beloved Rotax engine.

skooter
08-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Who will "abandon" Aprilia...?

AF1 - May I please - PLEASE - give you a big wad of cash, green backs, Italian Lira, Euros, US dollar-inos.... whatever it gaddamm takes to buy an Aprilia 850 Mana ? I do not need financing, I will not use a credit card, I can pay actual cash dollars. The two best bikes - 750-Shive and 850-Mana - are hitting the market and these goofballs are whining like little brats.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ed / AF1 Racing
08-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Who will "abandon" Aprilia...?

AF1 - May I please - PLEASE - give you a big wad of cash, green backs, Italian Lira, Euros, US dollar-inos.... whatever it gaddamm takes to buy an Aprilia 850 Mana ? I do not need financing, I will not use a credit card, I can pay actual cash dollars. The two best bikes - 750-Shive and 850-Mana - are hitting the market and these goofballs are whining like little brats.

--------------------------------------------------------

its not a official production bike yet.....still considered a concept they "want" to build. Once production begins, Europe will get them first. You can try to import one then into USA, but its a BIG hassle with LOTS of red tape. The USA will get it 6-12 months after Europe.

The Shiver 750 is in production, and the USA will have some around the first of the year. We'll know the USA price in 18 more days.

Gman2005
08-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I personally will not be abandon Aprilia. I am riding an RS125 at the moment and will hopefully go up to a RS250 once I have the money. After that though, it will be a toss up between the RSVR1000 and the RS V41000. We will have to wait and see how this new bike turns out to be like.

Gman

RXV_Poor
09-02-2007, 07:13 PM

So...

1. No
2. Yes
3. Ducati/Bimota/MV Agusta/Buell (The New One)

I actually have a bigger concern about where the Aprilia dirt bikes are heading. They are a good first effort but they do need refinement. I hope Aprilia takes this market seriously and can put the resources into it's development. They missed selling a lot of bike by not getting them street legal here in California.

DeBenGuzzi
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
wow, an 850 auto CVT tranny, impressive for the lesser bike shifting oriented ppl and the older not wanting to shift crowd and even the lazy communter, I bet they could sell a buttload if done right. Heck it looks like it comes with pirelli scorpion sync's on it, (which I have on my guzzi) so that means it must be solid. :happy:

in the states I bet it'll be more of a girl/wife bike to be honest. Just the way it is, I don't think I'll abandon guzzi for that matter should I get a vespa to complete the package? :happy:

no I think I won't.

bobdavis73
09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I love to shift so I probably will never have one BUT! If you ever see a Suzuki Bergman in a group of bikes (I know it's rare) they damn near run over the bikes when they shift gears. I build tooling for Comet clutch in Richmond Indiana. They manufacture many different styles and sizes of CVT transmissions for off road vehicles like snow mobiles........ They can handle up to 250 hp. I don't know how long belts last at that power level but I can assure you the acceleration can't be matched by any shifting transmission.

All that said.... I'll probably always want to shift, just cause it sounds cool :rolleyes:

Bob

RFM
09-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Seems like my bike is done for, with brass shavings in the oil. Crank/bushings/bearings toasted. 2008 Buell or 675 Triumph might be next, but the Bol D'Or looks nice here at AF1....

Rick T Reloaded
03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow. Old post! But relevant again with the RSV4 (see point #2 - original post) and re-entry into World Superbike? I find myself looking at Aprilia again with renewed vigor! :cheers:

Kid A
03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
But you said no more Aprilia unless its a V-Twin. Still hold true?

Micah / AF1 Racing
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Change is the one and only constant in both life and machinery. I am all for the new tech V4, hell I run my old 400cc Honda sometimes just to listen to V4 music.

Twins, triples, singles, two strokes, wankels, all of these things are a means to an end, it is the package and the principle behind such elements of internal combustion that complete the story.

Would I quit liking MV if they made a twin? Did you hate Honda for switching from inlines to V fours three decades past? Moto Guzzi once built V8 GP bikes and made their name with singles, but it seems forever they have been stuck in an archaic twin cylinder rut. Ducati only started making twins about 2/3rd's of the way through their career, Suzuki had never built a V4 before getting into GP's, Kawasaki really made their splash with two stroke triples, Norton's greatest display of technical prowess came with a rotary engine IMO and even though I lament the slow decline of two strokes I see hope for "change" once again. If it burns fuel and makes wicked sounds that haunt the soul, who can argue the semantics.

Aprilia really sells more 125cc two stroke singles in the world market than V-twins, so if heritage is all that makes your heart warm buy one of the final RS125 bikes and enjoy.

I am loving the possibilities with the new V4, not having to try to explain away horsepower defecits with superior handling. The Rotax V990 has had a hell of a good run but alas in the coming year it ends in terms of new production, different designs and engines continue the story of Beggio where the Rotax leaves off. Aprilia needs this fresh blood, it needs it badly.

StefanJ
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I am excited to see Aprilia grow and progress vs sticking to ancient technology and not improving their line (Harley).

DeBenGuzzi
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I am excited to see Aprilia grow and progress vs sticking to ancient technology and not improving their line (Harley).

this is true but I bet Aprilia would kill anyone to get the sales of just the harley sportster alone, other than 2 wheels I don't think HD fits into any category it defys all odds and rules and just keeps selling buttloads of bikes that haven't changed in 20 years ouside piston size and brakes(FINALLY)

Kid A
03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
No argument here that the V4 is doing its job to put Aprilia at the front of Superbike racing again. Seems it might be close to the best bike out there for that purpose.

The new crossplane Yamaha sounds the coolest if you ask me out of the 4 cylinder bikes (V4 included), seems to be the best of both worlds as far as results lately, but I don't want one of those either (for other reasons than performance). And like it or not an 09 R1 does have some sense of styling resemblance to a '98 R1.

If MV went to a more unique engine they would only go up in cool factor in my opinion.

As far as Honda goes, they really have no lineage to me as far as Brand "identity" goes. They seem to change things with reckless abandon always chasing what will work in the here and now. Other than GP machines, now gone 2 strokes, what is a collectible Honda (street bike)? Or better yet "What makes a Honda a Honda?" Most don't own one for more than the time it takes to pay off the loan. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Ducati, I know have not always been a V-twin powered bike. But they have (other than GP) been aware of their history, loyalty, traditions (Steel trellis frame for one). They are still competitive because they are always developing from a familiar baseline, and they have a passion to be the Japanese alternative. "Character"

BMW, Triumph, Guzzi, Harley....... all have tradition in their blood.

RS125s. RS250s yeah, they are Traditional Aprilia race bikes.

I've posted a lot of anti- V4 stuff lately. It's not because I don't think its a good bike. And I don't wish Aprilia poor sales or success. I should apologize to Aprilia now for being a little negative towards it.

Yes it is a true race bike to take on the world. But it shed any trace of lineage to Aprilia superbikes of before other than painting it black & bright red. You could throw Hondas name on it and no one would know any better. And it is slightly off the aesthetic trend already because most are going back to more Aero - full bodywork.

Would I own one? Hell yeah!
It's just that it's less desirable to me than a updated RSV.

Guss I'm just a sucker for identity & traditions. The least they could do is throw back on the Blue Racing wheels. :)

duc slayer
03-15-2009, 02:38 PM
But it shed any trace of lineage to Aprilia superbikes of before other than painting it black & bright red.

The start of it's new race lineage..................... which in turn will end up right were they have always been..........

CHAMPIONS :cheers:

Rick T Reloaded
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM
But you said no more Aprilia unless its a V-Twin. Still hold true?

That was "pre" RSV4... :lover::cool: I do really love what the new v-four is doing for Aprilia - specially in its ability to podium as an all-new bike in its first-ever shot at top level racing - this says volumes in Aprilia's comittment to shoot to the top (BMW may not be so excited right now...).

I still feel the '00.5 R is my FAVORITE Aprilia. No one is selling one right now! But if you were to ask me: 1198 or RSV4? Give me that sweet V...

duc slayer
03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
they're both V's :D

Rick T Reloaded
03-15-2009, 04:01 PM
they're both V's :D

I should have said V... Four. Smart ass. :cheers: Hahahaha!!!

rx7tt95
03-15-2009, 06:03 PM
The Duc's an "L" Twin, not a V. :)

Aprilia09
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Really don't like the direction they are going.

olie
03-18-2009, 08:59 PM
The Duc's an "L" Twin, not a V. :)
I know the feeling, my GTO has a L8 90deg engine instead of a V8!!:rolleyes:

mckee
03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
As long as AF-1 is within 40 miles , well.......

Jupiter
03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
"1. If Aprilia's next top sportbike is powered by an inline-4 1000cc motor, would you buy one?
3. If Aprilia were no more - who would you turn to for your next bike?"

1. No.
2. Yes. Already considering an RSV4.
3. First look would be at whatever Moto International is selling. If Moto Guzzi is available, maybe a Griso 8V.

After that, KTM (RC8 or Super Duke) or BMW (HP2 Sport or K1200S).

fast4ward
03-21-2009, 01:15 PM
1. No
2. Yes - but at 6'4" I tink the new V4 is going to be too small for me (major bummer).
3. KTM, MV

Beau1K
03-21-2009, 01:43 PM
MV's are already smaller than he V4 is going to be probably. And FWIW...the V4 is a race machine...of course it's going to be as small as possible...HELLO????? This isn't a street bike...it's not going to be like the RSVR...it's going to be more like a R1.

KTM would be a good alternative...I agree there for sure. I think I'd have to go Ducati before any of those though.

Kid A
03-21-2009, 03:00 PM
The MV & R1 are bigger than the v4.

The v4 is the smallest liter sports bike.

Watch the WSBK races. The Eurosport commentators love the bike, but laugh that it "makes Biaggi at 5'5" -5'6" & 140 lbs look like a normal sized human".

ekms377
03-23-2009, 06:33 AM
V4 would be cool to try out.....or the Buell with the Rotax. Other than that......the new R1 with the crossplane crank sounds like a V4.....I wonder how it rides?

gts455
03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I think I will stay with Aprilia until it gets REAL REAL bad. I will go to MV if Aprilia fails me. What a good reason to get an MV :cathat:

Ducati is too passe', everyone has one.
i'm with you on this. i will stick to Aprilia as long as they hold out, if they ever fall out then i guess i'll be forced to buy a new 312r....i mean there really is no other choice.

Axecent
03-27-2009, 07:06 AM
i'm with you on this. i will stick to Aprilia as long as they hold out, if they ever fall out then i guess i'll be forced to buy a new 312r....i mean there really is no other choice.

Maybe Prada will get into the motorcycle business.

Micah / AF1 Racing
03-27-2009, 08:01 AM
You mean a new R1, like this?...more to come, one of two in as a tuning project! Stock it is strikingly big feeling, but the sound is pretty sweet, One is getting the light duty treatment, break in, baseline and slip ons, the other is full monty treatment, it is sitting in the shop with 1 mile on the odometer right now.

Bene
03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Still the best looking of the Japanese bikes in my estimation.

gts455
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Still the best looking of the Japanese bikes in my estimation.
i agree, The r6 and r1 always look the best of the japanese bikes.

Bene
03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
NO I meant just the R1 ! :rolleyes:

anti-torsion
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Ill stick with Aprilia until I can no longer buy parts for it.

The R1 does look good but thats all I see around here and the looks on their faces when you thump past on the Mille is classic. :confused:

supersonik808
04-06-2009, 05:08 AM
1.no
2.yes
3.triumph,ktm

ow595
04-14-2009, 01:09 AM
The new V4 just might get be back to Aprilia

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

taper41
04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
The new V4 just might get be back to Aprilia

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

i like the r1 and the ape but......
the mv f4 is still the most beautiful aesthetically without a question. and is still the fastest in a straight line with out a doubt.

taper41
04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
and the fact that its a 10 year old design just shows how mv is just in a class by itself when it comes to the fore mentioned

jrflanne
04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I cannot see getting rid of my tuono for any reason. The thing is just about a perfect ride, and I've ridden a bunch. Triumph's don't do it for me. I had a ST4 for about 14,000 miles. Great bike. Insane cost of ownership. BMW? I have one gathering dust. Something from Japan? It doesn't interest me. I would, however, but a RSV4-ST immediately. I wouldn't blame Aprilia for not building one, but I would certainly buy one.

DocBrown
04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
You ask some very hard questions. I agonized for a year and half over this bike (03 Falco) and the rotax v-twin wrapped in that beautiful sexy design won me over. va l'italiano!

So...
1. been there, probably not.
2. maybe
3. Never happen, v-twin will be supported by Piaggio until I die and my next bike will be the Tuono. (you are reading this right Mr. Sabelli?)

reecebuy
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
no way aprilia all the way

Bill in OKC
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I still have my Aprilia - think I'll keep 'er around for awhile. Here's to another ?10? years of Aprilia in the USA :peace:

Gman2005
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
iv had 2 Aprilia and plan to have another one after I sell my RS125. I love my Aprilias