PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

pistonslap
07-29-2003, 01:56 PM
After I picked up my Capo 3 weeks ago I have bonded with it quicker than any other motorcycle I have owned in my 45 years of riding including 5 bmw's, 6 huskys, countless hondas and yamahas, 1 harley, 3 ktm's and even a hodaka and a mz.

I love the smooth power and handling and even tolerate the stock seat. I don't care for the excessive dive in the front forks under heavy braking and I find the engine heat a little extreme. I still think this is one of the finest machines I have ridden on the planet. Now for my question. My dealer informed me that I should use nothing but 4T synthetic oil in my Capo which he sells at 48 dollars a gallon. I asked him the reason and he said it would screw up the wet clutch if I tried to use any other oil. I currantly have 2 KLR 650's with wet clutches and I use automotive 20w 50 with no problems. I just want to know if the dealer is just trying to sell me some expensive overpriced oil or if anyone ouy there is using regular automotive synthetic. Thanks, Pistonslap

cccpull
07-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Your dealer is trying to make money on you. :rolleyes:
Even if you want to get a motorcycle specific oil with the "special wet-clutch additives", there are other synthetics at a better price.
Even Mobil 1 makes a motorcycle synthetic you can buy at you local Autozone cheaper.
I've used regular Mobil1 and for long trips Rotella synthetic (diesel engine oil ) with no adverse effects on bikes.

You might want to read the article on the web-page below.
It's not long and is very informative.

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

valkmaster
07-29-2003, 03:15 PM
This is funny because my dealer said NOT to run any full synthetic oil because it would "destroy the clutch". It just proves you can run whatever oil you feel comfortable with (and your wallet too) as long as you change it at the recommended schedule.

BTW, I heard VERY good things about the Rottella oil, the only bummer is that they only have 5W40 available at this time.

cccpull
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
The Rotella 5w40 is what I used in 14,000 mile trip I took last year. :)

The web-site below has information on the full synthetic and a synthetic blend that is also available.

http://www.rotella.com/products/rotella_t_synthetic.html

jdm1intx
07-29-2003, 04:25 PM
That's a huge rip-off. Aprilia recommends Agip 4T for the Capo. You should be able to buy it in 5-gallon buckets from most distributors for around 90 to 100 bucks. Tell that dealer to go lube up somebody else.

Garp
07-29-2003, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't say you can run any oil you choose. Oil is the subject of great debate, but there does seem to be a concensus that you should avoid "energy conserving" oils as these have friction modifiers that may be harmful to wet clutches. I use the Synthetic Rotella Oil, and I there is a Mobil 1 with a Red Cap ( I think it is 20-50W but I'm not sure) that is not energy conserving.

silvercapo
07-29-2003, 08:29 PM
I recommend the current issue of Sport Rider magazine. It contains the first of a two article series on motor oils. Motorcycle Consumer News also ran one recently.

I have read many articles of this type, and learn a little each time. The Sport Rider article, for example, gives the best explanation of the types of synthetic oil. The MCN article gave a very good breakdown of specific additive levels in a variety of motor oils.

I have noticed differences in the oils that I have used over the years - especially in the area of clutch performance. Honda makes a high Moly content motorcycle oil which has never worked well for me. OTOH, Mobil 1 M/C oil worked well in that regard.

There are a limited number of oils in the 15W-50 rating spec'd by Aprilia, so I have chosen to use Motul synthetic, 300V, in the Capo. FWIW, this oil rated highly in the MCN article, and according to Sport Rider, is unique among their sampling to have a base stock that is 100% Ester (or Group 5) synthetic, which is the most expensive to formulate and produce. It costs more, but I have complete peace of mind with it, and a clear conscience regarding extended oil change intervals.

I have heard it claimed that big twins are harder on oil than bikes with more cyclinders per cc. Maybe not, but I am quite fond of my CN, and expect to own it until I stop riding - it deserves the best. :)

grins
07-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by jdm1intx
You should be able to buy it in 5-gallon buckets from most distributors for around 90 to 100 bucks.

Hey jdm! Know of any distributor listing? I'd love to get a big bucket...

t

jdm1intx
07-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Nope. I based my facts on several listings I found on the Internet using Google. You'd have to scout your local area for any distributors carrying Agip or Motul. Just stay away from the dealerships 'cause they're going to mark up anything they get by at least 100%.

grins
08-01-2003, 11:00 AM
You know, I've been doing Google searches, and the best I could find is American Agip, in Pennsylvania. They say there are no distributors of Agip, but they can ship me a case...I ass-ume a case of quarts.

Maybe you could run those searches again and see if there's a bucket in Illinois?

jdm1intx
08-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Check out these links:

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=009HpW
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MV-Agusta/message/4432

Aregata4x4
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
There are only two things to remember about required oils, its rating and viscosity. As long as you use SG rated oil with about 15W50 viscosity you are ok. Synthetic or not it is your choice.
Arek

grins
08-06-2003, 02:49 PM
I just noticed your avatar, Aregata...yikes!

Are we talking motor oil or lube here? :D