PDA

View Full Version : new problem with bike not starting!

joemarsh2004
11-29-2005, 02:44 PM
right theres this whole on my carb and when i bunged it up (mixture screw at 1 1/2 turns) it started but wouldnt rev round past 5, idled at 1.75k

so i took the bung out of this whole (near the rubber manifold) and it just doesnt idle at all i just revs allt eh way round and doesnt stop at all, had to turn it off witht eh keys

so i changed the mixture screw a turn each way and both ways it just wouldnt start!!

so conlcuison, whole not bunged doesnt rev stop revving
whole bunged up wont go past 5 but idles

i have my pin slider set on the second from top, its a 92 jet, my battery is fully charged, i have 2 spark plugs both do the same outcome. my throttle cable is fine it opens it right up and closes it right down like its meant to, my choke isnt on and has never been during this.

every time i try and turn it on its always totally random outcomes, anyone no what i should do?!?!?!

cinqsport
11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
sounds like its running rich, which is why it wont rev over 5k
and when you take the bung out it lets air in so just keeps revving

put the bung back in and try adjusting the carb. are you sure the choke isnt stuck on?

joemarsh2004
11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
the choke is definatly not on, what shall i adjust on the carb

joemarsh2004
11-29-2005, 05:31 PM
yes i do if u read the thread it didnt do anything either way, MODERATOR delete his post please i dont need spam on my thread

RS_Patrick
11-29-2005, 06:02 PM
sounds to me your reeds are not closing good or the engine is drawing air in somewere.

check the reed valves and clean the carburator while your at it, replace the manifold gasket and make sure with a metal rule or something thats absolutle straight that the flange is not bend in anyway, you just put the metal rule across it diagonal from 1 corner to the other and straight across from one hole to the other to see if it clears the metal rule or what ever your useing at anypoint indicating the flange is bend. make sure you hold the metal rule or what ever your using on its side so its perfectly straight ( _I_ ) and cant bend at all it self that way. if you tighten up your manifolt do it by crossing over from bolt to bolt so you equalize the tension.

btw. that picture in there is supost to be how to keep the metal rule. :p:

MattblackRS
11-29-2005, 08:00 PM
had a big thought, do you have 2 oil spigots? if so one needs to be plugged otherwise it will draw air in and run bad! also i thought have you taken the restrictor out of the reed block, not sure how it would effect it? finally when my carb wouldnt rev past 5.5k is was down to the needle being too rich when fully lean it is still very slightly rich but no major performance steeler and not only that but you are running a standard cylinder so your probs running rich main jet aswell not sure but that shudnt effect those revs, have you tried riding the bike and thrashing the bollocks off it and trying to get it past the revs its sticking?

Matt

RS_Patrick
11-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Mate, since it seems to me like you got 2 treaths running here about the same subject i just copy and paste what i replied to you in the other one :p:
i dont know now were im supst to post a reply lol
so here it is.

is the sparkplug wet wen you take it out? did you look at the reedvalve, might be its not closing completly or chipped.
btw i got a lot of parts laying around here for RS50 and AF1 i know there are dashboards also somewere in the boxes so i dont know exactly what parts you want for the clocks but im sure i got them somewere. also got the partslists and workshop manual for the engine on disk so could email you a copy of those if you want them.

joemarsh2004
11-30-2005, 04:27 AM
that would be wikad mate, i ned a speedo clock, and yer the spark plug is fine, i didnt touch the reeds. and the needle is on second to top what do you think i should put it on?

joemarsh2004
11-30-2005, 04:53 AM
so if i make it to the state that it revs to 5k, and de-restrict my reed cage(i havnt done this) and check it all do you think it will be fine?

and yer rs partrick add me to msn and wer talk about the clocks and some other parts, maybe a stand...:D cheers been a big help....well if it works from the above :rolleyes: :)

SpikeR
11-30-2005, 06:56 AM
i think the reeds are fucked... i really do....

RS_Patrick
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
yeah, looks like he has the stock reeds in there, dont think they hold out if you put a faster exhaust on there and a biger carb.
ok i added you to my MSN

Law
11-30-2005, 11:09 AM
reeds will be one of the longest lastin thing on the bike. you damage them mainly from extreme revs alot of the time.

SpikeR
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
i killed some carbon fibre reeds, so... anythings possible :)

mine needed a big load of revs to start, and wouldnt pull past 5k :) unless i slipped the clutch then it hit the powerband at around 7.5k and took off like mofo

RS_Patrick
11-30-2005, 11:31 AM
the ones on a RS50 sometimes already stairt to "float" wen you just put an other exhaust on it and derestrict it, he put a biger carb on there also so that would defenatly do the trick. i worked on and owned a lot of Aprilia Mopeds and always had to replace the reeds on them and its always a good think to think about what reeds your gonna replace them with, to thick and hardly open, to thin and they never close, so depending on your set up you choose what type of reeds your gonna stick in there. somewtimes its best to buy 3 difrent platesets and try them and see what happens.

RS_Patrick
11-30-2005, 11:55 AM
i killed some carbon fibre reeds, so... anythings possible :)

mine needed a big load of revs to start, and wouldnt pull past 5k :) unless i slipped the clutch then it hit the powerband at around 7.5k and took off like mofo

if thats the case try 1 or 2 sizes smaller on the main jet.

SpikeR
11-30-2005, 12:02 PM
had that bike ages ago, it was because i had snapped the reeds..
spike