PDA

View Full Version : Which Petrol

Asgardeh
11-27-2005, 06:01 PM
What petrol do you use

samRS
11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
whatever sainsburys normal unleaded is, lol, probably 95 but i dont know anything about petrol

minxymears
11-27-2005, 07:53 PM
BP ultimate 97 ron... sometimes lol, i wish i lived in the south east, Tesco are selling 99 ron 'superfuel' down there (not actually called that but you know lol) but i want some!!

Tybersk8er
11-28-2005, 01:04 AM
I normaly put in 95 then add some octane booster and run 98+ or so. My dad wants to go to the airport and put in some jet fuel (135) but IDK if I'd blow something or not. He says I wouldn't, it would just clean everything out. I'd be running hotter than hell tho.

RS_Patrick
11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
I use only Shell V-power in my bikes.
it really gives better performance especaily combined with a good 100% syntetic 2 stroke oil like Motul 600.

Asgardeh
11-28-2005, 07:56 AM
BP Ultimate 97 or Shell 97 or Esso 97

Yoshi
11-28-2005, 10:25 AM
It depends what the people who's fuel I've been siphoning off like to put in their cars really.

samRS
11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
It depends what the people who's fuel I've been siphoning off like to put in their cars really.

ha ha! :plus:

Davido
11-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Depends on the line at the petrol station.

RSr
11-28-2005, 11:38 AM
with my last RS50 I used a 50/50 mix of 94 (97 RON) premium and 110 (115 RON) leaded.

SpikeR
11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
leaded? urrmmmm thats for old cars lol :)

115 ron sounds good though,

anyone seen that tesco now sell 99 ron here?

spike

fast_tzr
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
absolutely no point in putting any higher octane petrol in, I've tried 98 and it makes no difference, and I've also tried fully synthetic motul....800 I think it was, 20 a litre, and it made no difference either.

bwah
11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
absolutely no point in putting any higher octane petrol in, I've tried 98 and it makes no difference, and I've also tried fully synthetic motul....800 I think it was, 20 a litre, and it made no difference either.

20 euro/L? Your joking right?

Law
11-28-2005, 01:56 PM
sorry but super unleaded just aint gonna do anything for a 50cc (73.5 or whateva) single cylinder 2 stroke.
Wont do a thing. wanna feel the difference put it in a 4 cylinder 1000cc or similar, but u wont get nothing out of that, well except a lighter wallet and less fuel in the tank.

williamr
11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Nearly all bikes are designed to run on 2-star unleaded. Unless you do serious work to the compression ratio and ignition timing, (track only) using anything else is pissing money away for no reward.

That said, there are differences between brands of 2-star, but I've never found the differences enough to matter.

Rob

williamr
11-28-2005, 02:12 PM
with my last RS50 I used a 50/50 mix of 94 (97 RON) premium and 110 (115 RON) leaded.

Don't use leaded petrol. On a 4-stroke you'll fuck the valves. On a 2-stroke it'll foul the plug at least. On any bike with a catalytic converter you'll fuck the cat. It'll do less hasrm on a 50cc 2-stroke than anything else, but its use is not advised.

Rob

Woodinator
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
i use the cheapest green one at any station although i do try to go to super market one
that would be 95 unleaded :rolleyes:

RS_Patrick
11-28-2005, 06:18 PM

hope you didnt trow the Motul 800 in your oil tank, its profesional racing oil, thats why its so expensive, its only for PreMix. so you can only mix it with the feul, if you put it in your oiltank the oilpump cant handle it because its so sticky.
Motul 600 is best to put in your oiltank and it can also be used for premix if you need a bit extra lubrication.
but your right about the feul, 95 runs best in a stock RS50 no doubt.

Shell V-Power runs best and does increase your horse power and RPM, especaily combined with an oil like Motul 600. if you clean your cilinder and piston good and than take all the old feull and oil out of your RS50 and fill her up with V-Power or and superior 100% syntetic oil like Motul 600, the bike will run much nicer.
i tried also BP Ultimate 98 but it didnt run as nice with that at all. lost atleast 500 to 1000 rpm on Ultimate. heard that complaint from other people too. (RS50 riders and Scooter riders) seems to me its not that good for 2 stroke.
i tested a lot of feulls and oils and additives and got the best result with Shell V-Power with Motul 600 (oilpump only) and Ipone 2T Boost.
the piston and cilinder head had after 500km or 310 miles a nice gold brown color, no black soot layer in the cilinder or the exhaust port. :)

VickersUK
11-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Ive been using the 99 ron from tescos in my 50, roughly same as the standard unleaded from esso so why the hell not? :)

samRS
11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
hope you didnt trow the Motul 800 in your oil tank, its profesional racing oil, thats why its so expensive, its only for PreMix. so you can only mix it with the feul, if you put it in your oiltank the oilpump cant handle it because its so sticky.
Motul 600 is best to put in your oiltank and it can also be used for premix if you need a bit extra lubrication.

Shell V-Power runs best and does increase your horse power and RPM, especaily combined with an oil like Motul 600. if you clean your cilinder and piston good and than take all the old feull and oil out of your RS50 and fill her up with V-Power or and superior 100% syntetic oil like Motul 600, the bike will run much nicer.
i tried also BP Ultimate 98 but it didnt run as nice with that at all. lost atleast 500 to 1000 rpm on Ultimate. heard that complaint from other people too. (RS50 riders and Scooter riders) seems to me its not that good for 2 stroke.
i tested a lot of feulls and oils and additives and got the best result with Shell V-Power with Motul 600 (oilpump only) and Ipone 2T Boost.
the piston and cilinder head had after 500km or 310 miles a nice gold brown color, no black soot layer in the cilinder or the exhaust port. :)

sounds like you did some serious testing! But what is Shell V-Power? Does it come from a normal pump? Ive never heard of it

SpeedEng
11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
um im not too sure what the U.S. octane = to ROM

we have
and

so what is it? equal to?
im using 91 because it says to use 90 and up on the gastank..

RSr
11-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Don't use leaded petrol. On a 4-stroke you'll fuck the valves. On a 2-stroke it'll foul the plug at least. On any bike with a catalytic converter you'll fuck the cat. It'll do less hasrm on a 50cc 2-stroke than anything else, but its use is not advised.

Rob

Yes you will definatly mess up cats using leaded fuel but that is about it. Besides that all its going to do to the motor is keep it well lubricated, there is no problem at all running it in two strokes.

rsaprilia01
11-29-2005, 09:27 AM
shell, bp and esso will be better for your engine because its not cheap shit like sainsburys, tesco's is good tho. it wont effect performance that much that'll you'll notice it unless you have a slow bike.

samRS
11-29-2005, 09:28 AM
shell, bp and esso will be better for your engine because its not cheap shit like sainsburys, tesco's is good tho. it wont effect performance that much that'll you'll notice it unless you have a slow bike.

oi! sainsbury's is good shit! ive never had any problems with it :peace:

rsaprilia01
11-29-2005, 09:32 AM
i did it filled my carb up with shit and the plug was covered in crap.

RS_Patrick
11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
sounds like you did some serious testing! But what is Shell V-Power? Does it come from a normal pump? Ive never heard of it

Shell V-Power is a feul that they developed together with Ferrari. very clean powerfull feul. can buy it here at the shell pump next to the regular feuls. i worked in a bike shop and so had acces to a lot of parts and oils for testing. also have a cople of aprilias to try stuff on. so tried a lot of difrent feuls and oils. mostly you just take the cilinder head of and you can see the result, if its not to dirty you just whipe the soot of with a cloth with feul or WD40 and put the cilinder head back on and try the next feull till its time for to tank again and you look to see if there is a difrence. if the cilinder head and piston are really dirty wen you lift the head of you just take the cilinder off and piston and clean them properly. also the exhaust port and piston rings and grooves, be carfull you put the pistonrings back exactly the same way they came out, thats how i tested it, but i had 2 Aprilia RS/AF1 at the same time running that way, the AF1 even ran one tank on RC Nitromethanol just for the fun of it and to see if it would ruin the engine.

Lee337
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
i alternate what fuel i put in, i put shell optimax which has an octane rating of 98 (ron) and the next week i'll put shell 95 (ron) when the optimax is in it tends to run hotter and i think it revs better. this could all just be in my head though. :blah:

i've never put supermarket fuel in because i've heard too many bad things about it. but if i don't fill up at shell, i fill up at esso.

what i do want to try though is this 76 petrol, has an octane rating of 106 (ron) and see if that makes much difference. you buy it in a big tin not at pumps.

fast_tzr
11-29-2005, 03:55 PM

oh shit, yep it went straight in the fuel injector, but it was all they had apart from "chainsaw 2-stroke oil" so I thought I'd go with something that actually said for 2-stroke bike engines. The chainsaw stuff would probably have been the same, or am I wrong about that aswell? Just so I dont fuck up again. So is the 800 stuff in my oil injector gonna muck up my injector or what?

RS_Patrick
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
oh shit, yep it went straight in the fuel injector, but it was all they had apart from "chainsaw 2-stroke oil" so I thought I'd go with something that actually said for 2-stroke bike engines. The chainsaw stuff would probably have been the same, or am I wrong about that aswell? Just so I dont fuck up again. So is the 800 stuff in my oil injector gonna muck up my injector or what?

if i were you if its still in your oiltank i take the tube that runs from the oiltank to the oilpump from the oilpump and drain the tank that way, than you put your finger on the end of the tube and fill the oil tank up with 2T oil thats made for oilinjection systems, than you lift your finger slightly so the oil runs out a little bit so theres no more air in the tube and than you plug it back on the oilpump, than you start the engine and let it idle and turn with your hand the lever were the trotle cable hooks into to fully open for a minute, than it should have cleared the Motul 800 from the pump.
so no Motul 800 or stuff like Chainsaw oil, thats all premix. not suited for oilinjection systems, those oils are not of the same thickness or denesty so the pump wont be able to pump out the right amount of oil and in the worst case it can ruin the oilpump.
best is to use a 100% syntetic 2 stroke oil that says its for OilInjectionsystems, should say clearly on the label :)

RS_Patrick
11-29-2005, 05:06 PM
i alternate what fuel i put in, i put shell optimax which has an octane rating of 98 (ron) and the next week i'll put shell 95 (ron) when the optimax is in it tends to run hotter and i think it revs better. this could all just be in my head though. :blah:

i've never put supermarket fuel in because i've heard too many bad things about it. but if i don't fill up at shell, i fill up at esso.

what i do want to try though is this 76 petrol, has an octane rating of 106 (ron) and see if that makes much difference. you buy it in a big tin not at pumps.

i dont know what setup you have but unless you got a high compresion big bore cilinder and a rotor ignition and run more than 14.000 rpm you will not see any improvment at all, probably get a drop in performance, if i were you i would use the Shell Optimax and buy a botle of Ipone 2T Boost or a something like that, it gives you a higher octane number and has somekind of nitro based component in it that boosts your performance, runs way better at higher RPMs. might also be wise to change the sparkplug to a NGK B10EGV if you are using a big bore cili and a big carb.

fast_tzr
11-30-2005, 02:58 PM
if i were you if its still in your oiltank i take the tube that runs from the oiltank to the oilpump from the oilpump and drain the tank that way, than you put your finger on the end of the tube and fill the oil tank up with 2T oil thats made for oilinjection systems, than you lift your finger slightly so the oil runs out a little bit so theres no more air in the tube and than you plug it back on the oilpump, than you start the engine and let it idle and turn with your hand the lever were the trotle cable hooks into to fully open for a minute, than it should have cleared the Motul 800 from the pump.
so no Motul 800 or stuff like Chainsaw oil, thats all premix. not suited for oilinjection systems, those oils are not of the same thickness or denesty so the pump wont be able to pump out the right amount of oil and in the worst case it can ruin the oilpump.
best is to use a 100% syntetic 2 stroke oil that says its for OilInjectionsystems, should say clearly on the label :)

well i would have but like i said it was all they had, and the guy said it would be okay, but hey he was only a petrol station attendant :rolleyes:
I dont really want to drain it, as thats 20 down the drain, how much risk is there of it clogging up?

RS_Patrick
11-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Motul 800 is really sticky and caustic. if i were you i would drain it into the bottle and just mix the stuff bit by bit trough the feul tank. now your risking the pump breaking down because the thick sticky oil in there and the rubber in the pump seals getting softer, try smearing a drip of Motul 800 on the back of your hand and a drip of normal synt. 2T oil on your other and leave it for a few minutes :p: you feel what i mean than. imagine what that will do to the rubber seals inside the pump :(

really i think Motul 800 is the best there is for Premix, so just straight into the feull tank. but its the worst thing you can trow into you oiltank exept for gearboxoil of course.

fast_tzr
11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
hmmm bugger, well okay maybe this weekend I will drain it and try to pre-mix for a while, but cant i just leave it in there just once? Then when its finished I'll put normal stuff back in.

samRS
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
lol, you really dont want to have to do it do you? I think to be on the safe side id drain it out, because he obviously knows what he is talking about. :)

RS_Patrick
11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
mate seriously take the stuff out, that stuff doesnt only affect the oilpump and rubber seaks it self but also the oil is thicker and sticky so the pump wont pump out as much as it shoul and you risk ruining your cilinder, bearings and crankshaft. if you leave it standing for a cople of days it will damadge the oilseals in the pump because its caustic so if i were you i would really drain the stuff out now and replace it.

fast_tzr
12-01-2005, 11:44 AM
lol, you really dont want to have to do it do you? I think to be on the safe side id drain it out, because he obviously knows what he is talking about. :)

no i really dont, i dont wanna drain it, cos not only is it a waste of money unless i pre-mix, i'll probably fuck up anyway. But clearly as you said he does know what hes on about, but I wont be able to do it until saturday probably so what do I do until then? Just go for a quick run every day to try and keep it from fucking up the seals?

RS_Patrick
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
mate, the point is if Motul 800 gets in the oilpump it gets to the oilpumps rubber seals.
doesnt matter if you run it or not, still the same problem with those seals disolving from it, running the engine with the oil in there only causes the pump to work under more presure because the oil is thicker and sticky so than those seals get underpresure also and will fail even quicker plus because the oil is thicker and more sticky the pump cant pump as much of it as it needs to to get the right oil mixture so your cilinder, bearings and crankshaft will not get enough oil and get damadged or seize up.
by taking the oilout your saving yuor self money on new parts or repairs later and i dont know what your setup is but if your is atleast deristricted you can put the Motul 800 trough your tank fine in a 1:100 mixture to prevent the extra wear and tear.
and btw you say your gonna put a Big Bore cili on there soon, than you Need to mix oil trough your feul so weres the wast of money? i dont see it.
but go ahead,leave it in there. than i can sell you my unused stock cilinder and oilpump soon for a nice price :rolleyes:

fast_tzr
12-01-2005, 03:43 PM
allright well, you dont have to pre-mix with a big bore do you? Dont you just need to turn the oil injection up to the max and maybe put a bit extra in the fuel aswell? Oh well, I'll drain it at the weekend, just wont ride till then.

RS_Patrick
12-01-2005, 04:51 PM
dont know who told you that you "Maybe" need to mix oil trough the feul with a big bore kit, you NEED to mix Extra with a big bore kit always because your using more feull so you need to compensate for that, making the lever on the oilpump turn that tiny bit more that it might be able to is not gonna compensate enough, at the most on a stock engine you change it from 1:40 to 1:35 and thats wen its completly stock and restricted!!! unristricted you get more like 1:50 out of it maximum matched to the feull consumption increase.

matt2301
12-01-2005, 05:01 PM
What petrol do you use

The flammable kind.

RS_Patrick
12-02-2005, 06:56 AM
hey, he started about oil so maybe we should make one: Wich oil do you use? :p:

fast_tzr
12-02-2005, 02:31 PM
dont know who told you that you "Maybe" need to mix oil trough the feul with a big bore kit, you NEED to mix Extra with a big bore kit always because your using more feull so you need to compensate for that, making the lever on the oilpump turn that tiny bit more that it might be able to is not gonna compensate enough, at the most on a stock engine you change it from 1:40 to 1:35 and thats wen its completly stock and restricted!!! unristricted you get more like 1:50 out of it maximum matched to the feull consumption increase.

yeah okay, but like i said, cant you leave the oil injection on and just put some extra oil on with the petrol to compensate?

Asgardeh
12-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I use Bel-Ray Si-7 Synthetic

RS_Patrick
12-03-2005, 04:08 AM
yeah okay, but like i said, cant you leave the oil injection on and just put some extra oil on with the petrol to compensate?

aslong as you take the Motul 800 out of the oiltank you can but wen you leave it in you cant compensate for it because you wont know how much you will need to mix extra, if you mix to much extra your sparkplug gets dirty from all the oil it cant bur and if you put to little in you ruin the engine. there is simply no way of knowing how much extra oil to add because you dont know how much motul 800 the pump pumps round and you do not know wen the oilpump breaks downand starts leaking trough the oilseals, wen that happens the Motul 800 might leak trough the oilseal inte the gearbox with will at the least ruin your clutch. so simply take the motul out and use that to mix trough your tank and just put Mutol 600 or a similar 100% syntetic 2 stroke oil suitable for oil injection in the tank. your gonna have to do that anyway wen you get your big bore kit.

fast_tzr
12-03-2005, 12:39 PM
okay well today i smeared a bit of 800 on my hand, and on the other i put some of the stuff i've used since i got the bike in june, the felt exactly the same, no thicker, no thinner, so I've chosen not to drain it, but is there anything I should watch out for whilst riding, like things that could show it running without enough oil?

RS_Patrick
12-03-2005, 07:41 PM
you cant feel the thickness of the oil that way and the point in putting it on the back of your hand of atleast on some sensative skin was for you to feel that after a few minutes it will iritate because its midly caustic, eneugh to soften the rubbers in the oilpump enough so they crack or burst under presure.
btw by the time you notice the oilpump is not working good enough or has failed you already be to late because the damadge to your engine will already be done. i posted a how to under the What oil do you use thread for you.

gixxeruk
12-03-2005, 08:31 PM
:blah: :blah: i normally use the standard unleaded because i thought the optimax had a to high octane for a 50cc engine as i read some where thatthe petrol would ignite and blow the piston down and because its so explosive it would ignite quicker than the piston gets back up so it goes against the piston and crank becuase of compression ??? :blah: :blah:

i duno

gixxeruk
12-03-2005, 08:32 PM
oh yeh is castrol tt a good oil to use or not ?

Dj RsMassive
12-03-2005, 08:35 PM
oh yeh is castrol tt a good oil to use or not ?
yeh thats what i used when i had my rs50.