PDA

View Full Version : Withering AWAY

pbigoney
11-21-2005, 05:59 PM
I see after all the exciting news from the dealer meeting, the Milan Show debeault and no calendars that Aprilia and Guzzi are withering on the vine of arrogance, ignorance and non communication.
I realy like the Falco I have and was hoping to hear some new life blood being pumped into the comapny. I was thinking of updating in a year or so but I guess it won't be with Aprilia product. I bet they are cutting the Rotax motor ties and build their own which is the reason we love our Aprilias now.
Imagine a new refined version of the current Rotax. Umm, 1100-1150 cc. 12.3-1 compression. Multi injectors, tunable exhaust, loose 20 lb, gain 500 rpm top end. I smell 145 rear wheel hp stock, one H*** of a street bike.
I guess Piagio wants to sell scooters. Certainly doesn't want to build a legacy of motorcycles. From what I'm reading on these forums I don't see Aprillia do much more than talking about the future, offering minor updates, eliminating product lines, stream lining support to almost nothing. The SXV certainly sounds interesting but at best is a niche product that was an out growth from previous owner enthusastic development of motorcycling.
I can hear the bean counter now. "No investment of transfussion of moniesis necessary. Aprilia will use it's current synergy and market to leverage itself to a major player in upscale motorcycles."

Ricky J
11-21-2005, 06:31 PM
The question for this Aprilia owner is where in hell do you go? Last Friday I had the honor of assisting an Aprilia-Ducati dealer with demo rides on the new Monster S2 1000s. My last sortie of the day was aboard his 749R, a nice bike you know? But it could NEVER replace the 2000.5 RSV in my garage, no way in hell. If you feel the same way about your Aprilia then we're in the same boat probably. Hopefully Piaggio will walk their talk before long, and get product support where it needs to be. To them I say start taking care of existing Aprilia dealers and owners...and now would be a dandy time.

DallasFutura
11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
While we are all suffering from dashed expectations, if Piagio / Aprilia could simply keep enough RSVRs, Capos and Tuonos on the floor AND keep parts in the pipeline for those 3 models plus us poor owners of Futuras and Falcos, sooo many problems would be solved.

Then, next Spring / Summer, a nation wide track tour of existing models (including Euro models) as well as anything in development would hold many, many folks over until the next model year.

I am not an apologist for Aprilia - I am still not over the fact that the Futura ceased production somewhere in 2002 and they just kept grinding off VIN numbers to trick us into thinking that they were continuing production into 2004.

I just want to keep in mind how little it would take for Aprilia to get back on the right track.

ChicagoFactory
11-21-2005, 09:41 PM
I know most of us disappointed with the way things are going with Aprilia right now, but I really think if we're patient, that there will be be good things coming in the next couple of years.

I am by no means an Aprilia apologist, but I look at it this way. Piaggio has only owned Aprilia for about a year or less. It takes time to understand how the old Aprilia was run. Once you take a good hard look at the operation and understand it, then you can make the changes you need to make. Then after changes are made, like an entire new Aprilia USA, it takes time for them to get settled and really concentrate on improving and designing new bikes. What we're getting now and the next couple of years are all Beggio's projects. I believe Piaggio will want to make his own mark in motorcycles so everyone will forget Beggio. Italians are very proud people.

I hope I'm right!

evandewan
11-21-2005, 10:35 PM
As the riding season becomes shorter due to weather in the NW, I have time to wonder what was I thinking when I bought into an Aprilia? To paraphrase John Denver, "I was born in the summer of my 47th year..." I bought a fekin motorcycle! Geez, my wife assured me it was only mid-life and would pass. The Futura was the gem of the summer, 10,000 miles in 4 months little or no commuting miles. Wow what fun and , having nothing to compare it to, I thought it was an exceptional bike. I didn't kill myself keeping up with the crazy Canadians on the way to MotoGP. I was on top of the world.
I then found about bike-lust. The Futura gave way to a mille R and all bets are off. I cannot think of any better (looking) bike and it is more motorcycle than I will ever learn to handle. Lately, I see a ton of controversy concerning the direction Piaggio is taking my "first" love. Now, through road-film colored glasses ,I'm anxious at the prospect of losing all factory support for my chosen ride. There are currently two things that encourage me and my decision to buy more Aprilias, this forum and guys like Dave Richardson at MI. If Piaggio abandons us or relegates the current owners to history I will be extremely disappointed. To further quote Dave, "its like heroin, you never will really get over it, you'll just learn to live without it" That's how I feel about the future of the 'prillers.
As our super moderator put it, where else could we go AND get what we have with our current rides?

LWS66
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Hello All,

Not an Aprilia owner, but almost was. Had my eye on a left-over '03 Falco, but instead went for the new MZ 1000S as a stablemate for my Laverda Strike. Imagine my depression to find out that in less than 5 months after buying it (July), the factory has closed down the U.S. distributor and set up an answering service for parts and warranty claims! (sales of the 1000 are next to non-existent and some dealers would love to sell back the bikes)
I considered this as a worse case scenario before buying, but convinced myself not to worry! Ooops!! Dealers will be out there, but I think we all know what that means when it comes to getting parts. Maybe all will be fine, but I wonder if I should have gotten that Falco. Not sure I would be any better off though......Can the Germans be as bad as the Italians?? Anyway, I hope both companies improve, and I'd like to see Piaggio do something with Laverda! :)

zvez
11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
LWS,
man are you a masochist or what, you own a Laverda, and added an MZ to it, wow, bro feel your pain. Aprilia parts situation is bad, but Laverda must be hopeless
Chris ;)

LWS66
11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
"Believe It Or Not"....the parts situation has improved for Laverda's since Aprilia sold off the entire stock to a company in Italy(3cmoto I think they're called) and there are some who say that it's easier to get parts for a Laverda than a Moto-Guzzi! Is that saying much?? From what I've been told, the parts were always there, but were tied up in limbo when the bottom fell out....These parts problems are one of those things you have to keep telling yourself: "It's not that bad.....It's not that bad.....It's not that bad"...Really!.....otherwise I'd end up owning a Honda! :eek:

Bill in OKC
11-22-2005, 05:59 PM
you have to keep telling yourself: "It's not that bad.....It's not that bad.....It's not that bad"...Really!.....otherwise I'd end up owning a Honda! :eek:

You must be desperate and I think you need moral support! You must resist the temptation to get a H*nda, there are other brands out there - maybe a nice Ducati or even Suzuki has a nice V-twin as well. It is a matter of honor and self respect man!!!!!

falco03
11-22-2005, 07:52 PM
chicagofactory - i completely agree with you. even in the midst of aprilia's problems, i keep looking for good things. i would definitely buy another aprilia - and probably will when i get enough money. be it a mille or an '04 RSVR.
i think they produce an excellent product but they just have to make the step of servicing them and taking care of their dealers.

LWS66
11-22-2005, 08:00 PM
You must be desperate and I think you need moral support! You must resist the temptation to get a H*nda, there are other brands out there - maybe a nice Ducati or even Suzuki has a nice V-twin as well. It is a matter of honor and self respect man!!!!!

Visiting a Honda dealer yesterday might have affected me sub-consciously...But I'm a Euro-Trash Laverda/MZ owner to the core! It must be the fact that I just bought new CRF70 and CRF80 dirtbikes for my boy's for Christmas yesterday...it obviously has rubbed off on me some...the concept of dealers everywhere...parts-a-plenty.....I'll be alright! Japanese bikes don't do a thing for me.....For dirtbikes it's Husky's! Swedish or Italian...does'nt matter :lover:

William the Third
11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
LWS,
man are you a masochist or what, you own a Laverda, and added an MZ to it, wow, bro feel your pain. Aprilia parts situation is bad, but Laverda must be hopeless
Chris ;)

Hurt me more. I myself just bought a Laverda Ghost Strike (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69558) a bit over a month ago. I also wouldn't mind having a MZ 1000S and a MZ Skorpion Replica. I guess I have a thing for bikes that will drive me crazy when it comes time I need support/parts.

vsgofast
11-22-2005, 10:32 PM
So it's not just me...despite the problems with Aprilia we're all still hooked. Right now, I have the Aprilia in the shop and I'm riding around on my Suzuki. It's just not the same...I want my Aprilia back!!! :crybaby:

reddog15
12-01-2005, 09:47 PM
The question for this Aprilia owner is where in hell do you go?

I know exactly what you mean! After crashing my Tuono, I looked far and wide for it's replacement. Nothing fit my longing like a new Futura. I will be getting the bike in a couple of weeks. I have faith that Aprilia will improve its parts and service base, or I will make my own parts!