PDA

View Full Version : More Aprilia rumors

Tdawg
11-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Taken from here:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2673&Page=1

While Ducati might not have a lot to shout about with its first half financial results, Piaggio does. The group's sales revenue increased by 6.9% despite a decline in scooter sales of 7%. However, the company acknowledged the growing contribution from its Aprilia and Moto Guzzi acquisitions, not forgetting the Spanish Derbi concern.

Apparently the intention is to float the whole group on the stock market next summer. Piaggio Chairman Roberto Colaninno has confirmed that the move will take place "a little before August 2006."

In the meantime, Aprilia is rumoured to be looking at a launch of 18 new models before 2008, and none of these will be just restyling exercises. A cash injection of 48 million pounds ($83 million) will see the firm move away from buying in engines from other manufacturers to become self- sufficient.

Aprilia has also had its test model of the new RSV-R spied when out completing its final tests. Expected to be publicly launched at Milan, it is far sharper in appearance than before, but specific details remain unknown until the public unveiling. Expect also to see a new RS125 at the same time or if not the near future, along with a new Scarebo 500cc scooter.

Moto Guzzi is set to turn its big 1100 Breva into a Honda Pan European type of tourer with integrated fairing and panniers. Remember too that it debuted a semi-automatic gearbox some two years ago, so this could find its way onto the new bike to rival the newly revamped Yamaha FJR1300.

It is thought that this new bike is being developed at the behest of new Guzzi boss Danile Bandiera who came from Alfa Romeo where he developed sexy, sleek cars and turned their fortunes around a before moving to Guzzi in March. The Mandello Del Lario firm have already seen a reversal of its fortunes since his arrival. What is certain to be shown at the Milan bash is the new California Vintage to remind people of their heritage

Bill in OKC
11-14-2005, 05:23 PM
:burnout: That kind of news just makes my day!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Roadracer
11-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Seems that 2008 will be the year Aprilia will get back on the track in Superbike.
http://www.motorfreaks.nl/index.php/news/2922 for the dutch speaking .

18 new modells ,between now and 2008 !? They sure have a big job to do.
I hope they will be as sexy and gordious as the older models.

The questions will be when , what kind and how much will it cost us to get one ?

I hope we don't have to wait till 2008 for a new RSV. But I also hope they don't drop the V60 2 cil motors.

Time will tell I suppose ,

RR

kiwifalco
11-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Seems that 2008 will be the year Aprilia will get back on the track in Superbike.
http://www.motorfreaks.nl/index.php/news/2922 for the dutch speaking .

18 new modells ,between now and 2008 !? They sure have a big job to do.
I hope they will be as sexy and gordious as the older models.

The questions will be when , what kind and how much will it cost us to get one ?

I hope we don't have to wait till 2008 for a new RSV. But I also hope they don't drop the V60 2 cil motors.

Time will tell I suppose ,

RR

......they'll stick with the Magnesium v-twin up to the point of a new V4 for the V configuration fanatics like myself etc.They'll still do the v-twin thing to that point but I'd bet a dollar for every bike they sell theres gonna be a sellout when the new bruiser motor shows up on the street corner.Then again why not,if they beat Duc. to the punch & put the V4 on the street this thing will punch some serious ponies to the ground & also punch some serious pants too :p: Just my thoughts.... :cheers:

stefke
11-15-2005, 05:50 AM
The new RS125 :

kiwifalco
11-15-2005, 06:17 AM
.............because it's easier & thats all you need. :crowbar: :cheers:

Dug206
11-15-2005, 07:12 AM
That 125 is looks fantastic!! I wish my 16 yr old kid would get his act together so I could get him one, if of course they bring it to the states.

stefke
11-15-2005, 09:40 AM
That 125 is looks fantastic!!

It's commercially more interesting to make the RS125 look more like the RSVR, but I prefer the previous GP125 look.

irix
11-15-2005, 10:26 AM
I bet they sell a ton of these little guys in Europe.. which is good news for everyone, because they can use those profits in other areas.

Dvus
11-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Pretty cool. Looks like the Honda CBR :happy:

thackl
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
That 125 is sweet!

Bill in OKC
11-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Radial caliper, OZ ?style? wheels and I like those turn signals. That is a really nice bike.

hank
11-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Any chance there will be a track-only version available here in the US?

yumyumcat
11-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the link ~ there's a lot of incredible designs coming out.

I love this bike ~ http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

pizzadude
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
can someone please enlighten this ignorant bike guy???

Is this really a 125? As in 125cc engine? What is the deal with that? the chain is on the right side instead of left...is this just a beginner street bike or something used on the track somewhere?

How fast could this thing possibly go? I'm confused...

Also, and what's with the 2stroke vs. 4 stroke? Are race bikes actually 2 stroke? I know what the difference is mechanically, but what application does a 2 stroker have?

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-15-2005, 01:21 PM
that 125 is awesome

Dug206
11-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Pizzadude, your question about 2stroke vs 4 is like opening pandora's box. They are the true GP bikes in many peoples eyes, until recently 4 strokes were considered to big and couldn't compete with the smaller, lighter, quicker handling and faster cornerspeeds of the 2 strokers. I'm sure you'll get all sorts of different opinions on this. Now days, it's not uncommon to find a fast 250GP bike racing with 600/750/1000cc "diesels". The little screamers will lose out on the horsepower battle, but kill in cornerspeed which is essential at the track. Even though down on power, at tracks like Daytona, the 250's have only been a few seconds off of the superbike pace, and in the MotoGP arena are not that far off either. Unfortenately, in US, the days of screamers seem to be numbered. There really is no better place to start racing then on a little screamer. If I weren't 230lbs, I'd love to have a 250 for track days and racing.

Oh, by the way, I'm sponsored by Martin Eurosport and Champion Sportbike Club up in Coopersburg, PA. Come on up and take a look at Bills and Mikes screamers that are there. The guys there are great and you can talk to one of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever known, Bill. :peace:

stefke
11-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Any chance there will be a track-only version available here in the US?

There will be a track version. It's going to be used in a junior series in Italy. Wether it'll come to the US, I don't know.

mikeyyc
11-15-2005, 02:15 PM
can someone please enlighten this ignorant bike guy???

Is this really a 125? As in 125cc engine? What is the deal with that? the chain is on the right side instead of left...is this just a beginner street bike or something used on the track somewhere?

I'm sure that some of the Europeans on the board can expand further, but yes it's a 125 as in 125cc. Bike licences in the UK are regulated by displacement and experience. The 125 is a beginner streetbike. How fast can it go? Alot of variables there, but with my 300# ass on it, not very. Hence my reason for riding a Capo. Now a 16 year old that weighs 80# soaking wet, a different story.

Mike

Smoke Eater
11-15-2005, 03:34 PM
2 strokes rock! My friends with their 1000cc 4 strokes are always surprised at how fast my RS250 is at hauling my fat ass around the countryside. They can't even begin to think about leaving in their wake.

pizzadude
11-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks Dug and others who replied. after the explanations, it makes sense. I'm surprised that 125cc bikes race with big dog 1000cc bikes.

Unfortunatley, I don't get the Speed channel, so I seem to miss out on all of the race lingo when it comes to bikes.

I can see where the 2st/4str can open up a can of worms. Heck, I always thought a 5HP 2stroke lawn mower could outperform any 6.5 HP 4 stroke mower. :)

Anyway, thanks guys. And Dug, I'm definately planning a trip up to Martin's as soon as a Tuono is on the showroom floor. Probably be theere with the FZ1 to trade it too...

:peace:

irix
11-15-2005, 06:32 PM
A good explanation of the differences between 4 and 2 stroke motors can be found at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_stroke

They don't race 125's or even 250's with 1000cc bikes. The poster was just saying that up in the twisties (*not* racing), he can hang with his buddies on his little 250 two stroke. In MotoGP, there was a transition year in 2002 where 500cc two stroke machines raced with 990cc four stroke machines, but that's the only road racing I'm aware of that did that. Motocross allows for a 2 stroke 250 or a 4 stroke 450 as far as I know.

The bottom line is that 2 strokes can make probably 80% of the power with half the displacement as a 4 stroke motor.

Dug206
11-15-2005, 10:47 PM
They don't race 125's or even 250's with 1000cc bikes. The poster was just saying that up in the twisties (*not* racing), he can hang with his buddies on his little 250 two stroke.

Well, actually, I've seen quite a few 250's out there against the big bikes. A good two stroke rider will slaughter the big bore bikes in the corners. I believe Rich Oliver and his teammate (started with a C, can't think of his damn name at the moment) raced 250's against 1000 and up 4strokers in the early 90's in the no holes barred, run what you got F-USA. They would get slaughtered on the start, but by the end of the race they would be racing for the win. I've seen 250's out there in WERA tearing up 750's. I've seen 125's go out and run with and beat 600's. Ever seen Garret Carter ride a 125? That kid can fly! In Catalunya, the 250's were only 3 seconds off of the MotoGP pole time. Actually the 250 pole sitter would have out qualified a Blata, a Proton and Rolfo's Ducati if I remember right. Also, if I remember correctly, the race pace the 250's were only about 2 seconds off of the MotoGP leaders. Not bad. Kinda makes you wonder why MotoGP brings the 125's and 250's all over the world, but, not the US.

LUCKY DAVE
11-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Because they can't sell them here. Why bother to advertise?

Dug206
11-15-2005, 11:15 PM
True, but you can't sell a MotoGP bike either. I guess that's your point, Superbikes and the SS's can be sold. I see your point. I'd just rather see the whole show. Not just part of it.

2whlgeezer
11-16-2005, 03:45 AM
In MotoGP, there was a transition year in 2002 where 500cc two stroke machines raced with 990cc four stroke machines, but that's the only road racing I'm aware of that did that. Motocross allows for a 2 stroke 250 or a 4 stroke 450 as far as I know.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far, away (OK Europe in the 60's), GP racing had quite a mix of configurations. 2 stroke/ 4 strokes, singles (even up to 500's) twins, threes, fours and even the Honda 250 six all mixed it up in 50/125/250/350/500 GPs. 500cc Honda multis against Brit singles. I never made it over there to hear it, but the sounds must have been incredible. Honda had a 50cc twin that turned something like 20,000 rpm. Suzuki even had 50cc GP bike with a 14 speed transmission. Hey, Ed, how would you guys like to work on that one?

ckruzel
11-16-2005, 08:10 AM
I might be wrong, but i believe race pace from the 250's to motogp bikes is off by about 4-6 seconds a lap not 2

stefke
11-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I might be wrong, but i believe race pace from the 250's to motogp bikes is off by about 4-6 seconds a lap not 2

In Valencia : 2.7 seconds between the fastest laps of Melandri (MotoGP) and Pedrosa (GP250).

stefke
11-16-2005, 09:04 AM
In Valencia : 2.7 seconds between the fastest laps of Melandri (MotoGP) and Pedrosa (GP250).

Pedrosa's lap was faster then Ruben Xaus' fastest lap on the Yamaha M1 :D

irix
11-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Hah.. well I guess I should say that it isn't standard. You won't see a 250 racing in WSBK.

Bill in OKC
11-16-2005, 10:12 AM
I wonder whatever happened to the ditech stuff? Has H*nda sent the Yakuza out to make sure it never sees the light of day? A clean-burning two-stroke 500cc ditech in modern running gear would turn H*nda's world upside-down.

cavender
11-16-2005, 04:35 PM
In Valencia : 2.7 seconds between the fastest laps of Melandri (MotoGP) and Pedrosa (GP250).Is Valencia typical, or one of those tracks where the motogp bikes can't really use all the power (if there is such a track :))?

stefke
11-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Is Valencia typical, or one of those tracks where the motogp bikes can't really use all the power (if there is such a track :))?

It's a track most MotoGP teams use for winter testing because of it's demanding nature on all aspects of a bike.