PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Dealers Meeting

LUCKY DAVE
11-13-2005, 12:18 PM
What's the latest poop?

Ricky J
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Supposedly it's in Denver, November 18th through ?

LUCKY DAVE
11-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, hurry the hell up already!

Ricky J
11-13-2005, 12:26 PM
This next week should prove MOST interesting to Aprilia tifosi, with new models debuting at Milan as well as the US dealers' show.

I can hardly wait.

Dvus
11-13-2005, 01:05 PM
may the gods shine brightly on all aprilia aficionados

2whlgeezer
11-13-2005, 01:33 PM
What's the latest poop?
I think they reserved a couple of tables at McDonald's for the dealer meeting.

Ricky J
11-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Insider reports suggests attendance by Piaggio bigwigs Colannino and Sabelli.

clarkie49
11-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I think they reserved a couple of tables at McDonald's for the dealer meeting.
:funnypost :funnypost :funnypost

zvez
11-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I just hope they get a decent dealer closer to me. My local dealer sells mostly victory motorcycles, I've seen enough of them to know that no way in hell will they be working on the bike even tho I bought it there>

Closest for me now is Motobritalia about 130 miles away.

Chris

got_Mille?
11-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Can anyone have their dealer beat up my dealer? Mine sucks soooo bad and in order for a new one to pop up, we need to get rid of these guys. Just tell your dealer to look out for the tweaker lookin dude from "Moto Weregonnafuckya or Italiano" or somethign like that, and ask him something technical in front of the big wigs like "where is the information for the odometer stored?"
I already asked him this, he said "It's in the computer - not the dash." And "the vin number is also stored in there to keep people from switching gauge clusters"

Beau1K
11-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Can anyone have their dealer beat up my dealer? Mine sucks soooo bad and in order for a new one to pop up, we need to get rid of these guys. Just tell your dealer to look out for the tweaker lookin dude from "Moto Weregonnafuckya or Italiano" or somethign like that, and ask him something technical in front of the big wigs like "where is the information for the odometer stored?"
I already asked him this, he said "It's in the computer - not the dash." And "the vin number is also stored in there to keep people from switching gauge clusters"

Why don't you roll your ass down to S.F. and go to

http://www.scuderia.com/

Drop your bike off in the morning and fuck around in the city for the day. That's what I'd do if I were in S.C.

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
the meeting is this Friday in Denver....one day only. All the new Aprilia USA management will be there, along with all the Piaggio-Italy guys.

We'll be there.....

If anyone in the area want to hang out Friday night and drink beer, we'd probably be up for it. We fly out late on Saturday.

Smoke Eater
11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I hope they come out with something good. I haven't bought anything new in 3 years and I'm itching to spend. There just isn't anything out there to get excited about right now.

dbl_aitch
11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
the meeting is this Friday in Denver....one day only. All the new Aprilia USA management will be there, along with all the Piaggio-Italy guys.

We'll be there.....

If anyone in the area want to hang out Friday night and drink beer, we'd probably be up for it. We fly out late on Saturday.

When will you be able to share what they tell you? Will you have pics, etc?
I'd be up for a beer or two...

irdave
11-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, Jaz and I are done with school for a week on Friday. I'll see if I can talk her into a cerveza or two. Ooooo, the Denver Rio. Yeah.

clarkie49
11-14-2005, 08:29 PM
When will you be able to share what they tell you?

sharing dealer info may not be the best way to start a new period for AF1 ;)

i think there will already be a lot of 'Oh you are those guys from AF1' at the dealer meeting, some of the other dealers will be :) and some will be :pissed:

Davenet
11-14-2005, 09:09 PM
i think there will already be a lot of 'Oh you are those guys from AF1' at the dealer meeting, some of the other dealers will be :) and some will be :pissed:

As to the ones that are :pissed: :

The truth is out there & sometimes it hurts.

clarkie49
11-14-2005, 09:16 PM
without a doubt :), the good helpfull dealers (and AF1) are resented by the bad clueless dealers :rolleyes:

Beau1K
11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Seems like the bad/clueless dealers like South Bay Triumph and Pro Italia both in the L.A. area are succoming to natural selection as they no longer carry Aprilia.

I have heard complaints about both these dealers, AND, BOTH of them actually bad mouthed Aprilia to me directly when I was shopping for my bike. They said stuff like "we are Aprilia dealers and we could get you one, but we don't reccomend it!...you should get something else"

JoeKher
11-15-2005, 08:39 AM
They said stuff like "we are Aprilia dealers and we could get you one, but we don't reccomend it!...you should get something else"NICE! :funnypost

If Aprilia could weed out the bad dealers there would be a lot of open territory and people would complain that there isn't a dealer on every corner. Support your good dealers!

hank
11-15-2005, 11:52 AM

It's people like AF1, Ken Zeller, Clarkie and Bill H. who have done more for the GLOBAL Aprilia brand and helped create such a loyal following than Aprilia or the :pissed: Aprilia Dealers Clarkie is referring to in his post.

Bill in OKC
11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
It's people like AF1, Ken Zeller, Clarkie and Bill H. who have done more for the GLOBAL Aprilia brand and helped create such a loyal following

:plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus:

Without these people, Aprilia would be almost non-existant in the US right about now (no offence to others). With these people, owning an Aprilia has been a great experience, and I'm looking forward to owning a few more.

hank
11-15-2005, 04:29 PM
:plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus: :plus:

Without these people, Aprilia would be almost non-existant in the US right about now (no offence to others). With these people, owning an Aprilia has been a great experience, and I'm looking forward to owning a few more.

Hell, we should include Jet City Racer as well - his contributions to the BOTD thread have done more for Aprilia brand loyalty than anything that came out of the old AUSA....

clarkie49
11-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm just glad Bill H is back playing with Aprilia's :cool:

hank
11-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm just glad Bill H is back playing with Aprilia's :cool:

Well.... as long as he still wrenches on my bikes!

Actually, I was really glad to see that Corky is with Bill again. They make a good team, and maybe Bill will get a few tats :rolleyes:

jayrz
11-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey Dave and Harl, I'd be up for a beer after the meeting downtown to bullshit some. As long as they serve Guiness!!

Jay

Dug206
11-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Well.... as long as he still wrenches on my bikes!

I'm just glad your bikes are back, I keep telling Bill to put your shit on my bike :lover:

olie
11-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Bill H. is the guy that "touches" my Capo!! :happy:

JoeKher
11-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Bill H. is the guy that "touches" my Capo!! :happy:I think there are laws about "touching" like that :rolleyes: !

Anyone going to the meeting say "Hi!" to the guys from Detroit Eurocycles, you could probably get Jeff to buy a round :cheers: !

dbl_aitch
11-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey Dave and Harl, I'd be up for a beer after the meeting downtown to bullshit some. As long as they serve Guiness!!

Jay

Man, I'd love too. I've got the flu, though, and you probably don't want to be around me... Hope you and Dave can get down there though.

H

olie
11-18-2005, 08:05 AM
I think there are laws about "touching" like that :rolleyes: !

Anyone going to the meeting say "Hi!" to the guys from Detroit Eurocycles, you could probably get Jeff to buy a round :cheers: !
JoeKher, I do NOT ride "scooters" :p:

JoeKher
11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
JoeKher, I do NOT ride "scooters" :p:Try it, you'll like it :p: ! Like LIFE cereal! We lost XPADREX to the scooter world!

aprilia_nut
11-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Any good news out of the Dealers Meeting?

Ricky J
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
One tidbit is we should not be expecting any street-legal SXV/RXV models in the USA next year.

JeffS
11-19-2005, 12:15 PM
One tidbit is we should not be expecting any street-legal SXV/RXV models in the USA next year.

For some reason, I wasn't expecting to see them. Too bad.

olie
11-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Any good news out of the Dealers Meeting?
Just came back from my dealer. The manager /co-owner told me "Futura is dead, no new Futura, no new 1200cc" Also ," a new V4 for the future SB, no V2 or anything else more than 1000cc".

JoeKher
11-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Just came back from my dealer. The manager /co-owner told me "Futura is dead, no new Futura, no new 1200cc" Also ," a new V4 for the future SB, no V2 or anything else more than 1000cc".
:gunner: Piaggio :bond:

Anything about the rumored new products for '08?

mikesduc
11-19-2005, 02:28 PM

Ducati Hypermotard here I come! Does anybody think we will EVER see street legal SXV's ?

Jony2Stones
11-19-2005, 06:00 PM

That's OK, I'll take a RACE-ONLY version.....

GeoR
11-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Ducati Hypermotard here I come! Does anybody think we will EVER see street legal SXV's ?

Just so you know I've been trying to contact Ducati USA since sept with no success. Dumbassed Italians are going to lose the US market just the same French car makers have.

zvez
11-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Geo,
That's surprises me, have had lots of ducs over the years and DNA has always been reasonably helpful, at least the rep for my area.

Good service is about the last thing to expect from Italian companies unfortunately.
Chris

hank
11-19-2005, 07:08 PM
That's OK, I'll take a RACE-ONLY version.....

I like how you think!

olie
11-19-2005, 07:54 PM
:gunner: Piaggio :bond:

Anything about the rumored new products for '08?
I never was that confident in Piaggio, but now it's how low you can go.
If Piaggio never did a thing for Gilera, I guess they did not have the right people. Aprilia is more than scooters, Aprilia is well above Piaggio's skull. :bond: :bond:

StefanJ
11-19-2005, 08:41 PM
so whats inline for 07??? I should be back by then!!

Jony2Stones
11-19-2005, 08:42 PM

I like how you think!

Yeah, I like that Maa-cheeeenn....:D Soo much so that I had two deposits in up until recently....:D......

Man I can't wait to know more.....

Hopefully the dealers present will be able to fill us in (hopefully Aprilia hasn't told them not too---as is the case with a lot of Manufac---i.e. the MS4RR...)

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-19-2005, 11:57 PM

street-legal ones not until 2008

only one 2006 RXV and one 2006 SXV per dealer in early 06. Larger quantities will be 2007 models. No 550 versions until model year 2007.

We all got to check out production ones in person.......they are incredibly lightweight, and very trick.

Jony2Stones
11-20-2005, 12:22 AM

only one 2006 RXV and one 2006 SXV per dealer in early 06. Larger quantities will be 2007 models. No 550 versions until model year 2007.

We all got to check out production ones in person.......they are incredibly lightweight, and very trick.

Too bad about the Street-legal models, I guess mine will have to be a race-version....(boo hoo...:D)

And from the sound of it....and 2007....

Any idea on time-frame (Spring for 06/Fall for 07???)

Dvus
11-20-2005, 12:42 AM

That is so sad :crybaby: I guess I'll have to learn on a drz 400 then

got_Mille?
11-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Why don't you roll your ass down to S.F. and go to

http://www.scuderia.com/

Drop your bike off in the morning and fuck around in the city for the day. That's what I'd do if I were in S.C.

Funny thing is, I do, well, kinda, when I needed all the parts from the hit and run, a local shop was having trouble finding the parts. I hooked them up through Scudaria and got my parts through them. I actually spoke with Dan in service, great guy by the way, he is going to do some work on my Mille when I am done putting her back together.
Plus my club has a chapter there now, so even more reason.

So, I wanna know who talked to Jason, the owner of Moto Italiano in Ca. I know I was brought up in the conversation (I feel Important now). Im not sure what was said, but the guy who was keeping them from having my business and a few other people I know, is gone, fired, history. Thank God! And there are suppose to be a few other things that couldnt be discussed. I hope it works out and they get their shit together, would be nice to have a shop 10 minutes away that I can depend on.

Sprocket
11-20-2005, 05:37 AM
sounds like some good news, and maybe not any great news.

My real question, is how can Aprilia be a major player in the USA, when it can't bring the new models and products when we want them. you see the pictures, websites, reviews of the bikes and you're excited then find out they are not available until 200???.

Aprilia comes out with some awesome weapons (RXV,SXV,Tuono, and etc) but say, only (1EA) 2006 RXV/SXV will be available at dealers.
How can Aprilia be a major force in the US, when it cant supply the public, when needed. In most states, there is only a few dealers, what happens, if they sell both models(RXV/SXV). then what, wait until 200??? :rolleyes:

I don't understand, Aprilia's thinking, USA- Richest Country in the World,(should be a strong market) with all the new models/products, they should be taking advantage of their great new models and bringing them State side now. (not 200??) by then, everybody else, will have cool new products, and people will start to forget about Aprilia. sad but true :pissed:

almost afraid, to go Cycleworld show, and see the new Aprilia's, and find out they won't be avaiable any time soon.

Aprilia makes great products, but suck at marketing their product,(typical Italian company,way of doing business) :cigar:

Beau1K
11-20-2005, 01:18 PM
I think it's a ploy...they are creating demand. Or so they might think, in fact they are shooting themselves in the foot. Americans are insatiable - when they want it they want it now! They will get something else, they wont wait. It's not the money. If they want our money they need to have product for us to buy NOW! When we want it!- or else we might be forced to get a ducati or something, heaven forbid.

ZeroTwoRSV
11-20-2005, 02:15 PM
I remember hearing about Aprilia back in '98. They were taking their time to set up dealerships and have service. That was their #1 concern. Then, whammo!

Fast forward to present day: losing dealerships, interest, and the loyal.

Piaggio, are you reading this????

Even if you only imported 10 of each "new" model into the states, at least someone would have them, bikers would see them, and magazines could write about them. As it stands now, we read the Euro press, then take our money to other manufacturers, as mentioned prior.

And for gods' sake, get back to racing in WSBK and AMA (as well as other countries if not already)!!!!!!!!!

Ricky J
11-20-2005, 03:18 PM
If any Powers-That-Be are reading this thread, hopefully they can see it's not written out of malice or disrespect but genuine concern and love for the Aprilia name.

Like a crazy bunch from Oz once said, "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll!"

<bagpipe solo>

StefanJ
11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
so are parts going to be available?
am I going to have to wait for half a year to get warranty work as some have (posts I've read on this website)?
Will Aprilia build a reliable bike?
I am going on the 1 year sandbox savings program! When I return I really want an Aprilia Factory!

Will Aprilia stand by their product and me as a consumer?

That is what I want to know!!
I love Aprilias, ever since I first saw one when riding with Jess Johnson from the TSBA! Great sounding, beautiful bikes that did extremely well! I fell in love with that bike when I watched it sweeping through the corners!
I don't have an Aprilia but I plan on getting one. I just don't want a bike that I am unable to ride because parts are unavailable or it fails to work!

Those are my concerns

vsgofast
11-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I've gone some 47,000 miles on my Aprilia Mille so yes they are reliable. It's getting the parts when you need'em that's not so reliable.

Davenet
11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
so are parts going to be available?
am I going to have to wait for half a year to get warranty work as some have (posts I've read on this website)?
Will Aprilia build a reliable bike?

That is part of the reason for the delay. They will only release it if the product is bullet-proof like the current mill.

Problem is, it has been out on the track for almost two years with loads of hype. People are done waiting for it. Suzuki & KTM already have product on the floor and people who have been saving for a proposed release date of spring '06 are going to spend elsewhere. And bringing only one of each model isn't going to increase demand, it's only going to piss people off more and speed the line of people jumping ship.

hank
11-20-2005, 06:52 PM
People are done waiting for it. Suzuki & KTM already have product on the floor and people who have been saving for a proposed release date of spring '06 are going to spend elsewhere.

:plus: I am considering buying a Motard in the Spring that I can also do double duty with as a dirtbike....

That KTM is sweet.

Anyone have experience with them and how is their dealer network?

Louge
11-20-2005, 07:35 PM
:plus: I am considering buying a Motard in the Spring that I can also do double duty with as a dirtbike....

That KTM is sweet.

Anyone have experience with them and how is their dealer network?

The new Husky 610 looks good after reading Ed's post.

yamatr3
11-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I have a Husky SM610 and love it. However, I've had a deposit down for a year on the new SVX priller. I can't wait till they get here!! I was disappointed to hear that there would be only one bike per dealership, that sucks. But luckily, I'm first on the list. The Husky would be a great stop gap bike till the prillers get here though, thats why I bought mine.

ow595
11-21-2005, 02:38 AM
While your waiting for the Aprilia SVX you should really try a Husky 450/510 SMR and now for 2006 they are 50 state street legal.
I've been a two time Mille owner and now had/have three of the new Huskys (from KTM) and the new motored Husky feel like a Mille for the dirt.
If the new SVX is truely better then the new Huskys then it will be an amazing bike.
I have the 2006 Husky 450SMR on order and should be here in a week, I'll let you know how it goes.

William
Santa Cruz
ow595@aol.com

yamatr3
11-21-2005, 10:11 AM
ow595, check out supermotojunkie.com, there are lots of Husky smr guys over there.

Also, did you used to own a triumph Daytona and be over at the t595.net site?

TheWheel
11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
What's the poop on the V4???

Someone mentioned KTM as a shining example of a company that get new product to the market quickly. Seen any RC8's on the road or in show rooms lately?

BikerBrit
11-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Was there any mention when we can expect the 06 Tuono's to hit the US dealers.

duc slayer
11-21-2005, 01:45 PM
nothing streetlegal until 2008 :WTF:

Jony2Stones
11-21-2005, 01:57 PM
nothing streetlegal until 2008 :WTF:

Yeah, well hopefully they'll have the good sense to leave the 'off-road use only' stamp off of the MSO....

:D

JeffS
11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, well hopefully they'll have the good sense to leave the 'off-road use only' stamp off of the MSO....

Seems like everyone is content to screw around until one of the japanese companies decides to get serious about building a street moto (a little more serious than the DRZ). At that point, they will have completely lost the market. Then again, maybe they feel it's inevitable and don't want to venture there for fear of getting stepped on after the fact.

Italiaphile
11-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know if there was any word about the Rally Raid becoming available in the US?

Kemuri
11-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has info on the dealer meeting last Friday? Love the bikes and definitely think that parts supply & service are the key issues to address. From there gradually grow the product line, having machines with no support pulls the plug on everything (resale value, drives owner frustration, inhibits new potential buyers). Offer some real support the existing machines already out there (these bikes rock) and more people will turn to the brand. Curious to find out what was said,

good
:cathat:

bad
:cool:

ugly
:bangwall:

Proud owner of a mint '03 RSV-R and just curious where things are headed. . .

:peace:

Dvus
11-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Perhaps the AMA fucked everthing up by not allowing twins to race in the supermoto races. Think the Husky will be ok to ride

ow595
11-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Yeah, I've owned three Daytonas and have the new D675 on order.
I've just found supermotojunkie.com great site, thank you.

William

ow595, check out supermotojunkie.com, there are lots of Husky smr guys over there.

Also, did you used to own a triumph Daytona and be over at the t595.net site?

JoeKher
11-22-2005, 08:44 AM

That KTM is sweet.

Anyone have experience with them and how is their dealer network?KTM's are awesome. Reliability, parts and price are on par with the Japanese manufacturers.

The RC8 was/is a concept bike and in early '05 they said it might be available for '07. But never said it would be in the states.

rsvdave
11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Just got of the phone with my dealer about recent dealer meeting. He assured me that Aprilia/Piaggio have got their act together. Here are key areas he touched on.
1. Company has plenty of cash, mainly due to vespa and are planning to infuse whatever dollar amt needed to make aprilia/guzzi brands successfull.
2. Corporate office is being moved to NYC and parts distribution moving to California. Should be open in the next 10 days
3.parts backorders are going to getting better soon. Currently have 4000 line items on backorder and will be reduced to 2200 in next month. there after being reduced to 800 line items, a number he said was acceptable for any manufacturer.
4. Said that "they" realize that they alienated dealers and loyal customers are laid out a plan to get back to business and be #1
5. withing a month they will appoint a new project manager to spearhead taking aprilia brand to the next level.
all in all pretty positive stuff. my dealer has only carried aprilia for a year now but said they are committed to brand and that he walked away with a"warm fuzzy feeling"
I dont no about the rest of you but i have no plans to abandon the aprilia brand and think we need to continue to support it. :)

hank
11-22-2005, 03:41 PM
4. Said that "they" realize that they alienated dealers and loyal customers are laid out a plan to get back to business and be #1

So do 'loyal customers' get first dibs on new bikes? ;) :funnypost :funnypost

GeoR
11-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Did they mention the calenders ???? :cathat:

Waxerdog
11-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Parts dist moving to California? Where? I need a new job! :cathat:

muratd
11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
....parts distribution moving to California. Should be open in the next 10 days...

Great!! Aprilia parts next door.

clarkie49
11-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Great!! Aprilia parts next door.

how sure are you that the Aprilia parts warehouse is actually moving to California......

hank
11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
how sure are you that the Aprilia parts warehouse is actually moving to California......

Clarkie, you forgot to include the ' ;) '

lodom
11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Don't assume a close proximity will get you your parts any sooner. The distributer here in Atlanta was practically in the same neighborhood with my dealer but you could still wait months for something like a euro sidestand. But maybe that'll be ancient history now. ;)

I am happy with my dealer though. They do their best considering the circumstances.

Kemuri
11-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Cool if it happens but thought they would have wanted to keep that near the new HQ for simplified logistics. If the product is coming from Europe why add all the overhead to bounce the goods across the States? Not complaining though, it's my back yard!

muratd
11-23-2005, 06:37 AM
I missed to emphasize the irony in my "voice" :)

2whlgeezer
11-23-2005, 07:27 AM
I am happy with my dealer though.
Me, too. He dropped the line. Couldn't tell any difference with or without him.

JoeKher
11-23-2005, 08:16 AM
I hope the "New Era" includes plans to weed out the bad dealers! :rolleyes:

2whlgeezer
11-23-2005, 12:27 PM
I think the "Old Era" plan just weeded out dealers. Period.

novos
11-23-2005, 12:34 PM

The new era would leave about a dozen dealers nationwide, then. :spankie:

JeffS
11-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Because what Aprilia really needs is fewer dealers... :rolleyes:

That I live in a state capital and the nearest dealers are 170+ miles away is sad.

clarkie49
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Cool if it happens but thought they would have wanted to keep that near the new HQ for simplified logistics. If the product is coming from Europe why add all the overhead to bounce the goods across the States? Not complaining though, it's my back yard!

Did you know that Ducati has gotten rid of their parts warehousing in the US altogether? now everything comes straight from Europe via DHL and comes either 3-day or 5-day.

the dealers place their orders directly with Ducati in Italy and they are shipped out straight away. it saves rent, manpower, tripple handling of parts and reduces the number of miss-shipped parts. So far it is working well, time will tell i guess but i think it was a good move in Ducati's part

besides, are the parts really been moved to California? ;) (thats for you Hank :D)

evandewan
11-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Just in time instead of just in case is the only way to distribute goods in a global economy. It adds no value to move parts from one country to have them wait in another one until the sale is made. Ducati is right on with having only 1 stroage facility and shipping form there. Cost goes down, qualtiy goes up ,inventory management becomes so much easier.
Heck, if parts were in a warehouse in Ga, UPS would still take 5 days to get to the west coast. DHL (support your unions now) can get it overnight from anywhere. What do we care where the parts are stored: we only care about being able to get them- period.
If Aprilia can get me my parts in a reasonable time frame, then they have made progress. now let's hope they are working on getting the "right" parts next....

Dvus
11-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Did you know that Ducati has gotten rid of their parts warehousing in the US altogether? now everything comes straight from Europe via DHL and comes either 3-day or 5-day.

the dealers place their orders directly with Ducati in Italy and they are shipped out straight away. it saves rent, manpower, tripple handling of parts and reduces the number of miss-shipped parts. So far it is working well, time will tell i guess but i think it was a good move in Ducati's part

besides, are the parts really been moved to California? ;) (thats for you Hank :D)
Makes sense to me ;)

GeoR
11-23-2005, 01:37 PM
. So far it is working well, time will tell i guess but i think it was a good move in Ducati's part

I've been trying to contact Ducati USA about a warranty claim since Sept. Multiple e-mails to the helpdesk, customer service and even Italy, multiple phone messages...nada. Not even an automated reply.
Yesterday I got the receptionist on the phone, she could not connect to a live person, but she agreed to hand deliver the message...... :crybaby:

This sucks!!

ZeroTwoRSV
11-23-2005, 01:49 PM
I've been trying to contact Ducati USA about a warranty claim since Sept. Multiple e-mails to the helpdesk, customer service and even Italy, multiple phone messages...nada. Not even an automated reply.
Yesterday I got the receptionist on the phone, she could not connect to a live person, but she agreed to hand deliver the message...... :crybaby:

This sucks!!
Yeah, , , , , but, , that's, , not, , parts.

clarkie49
11-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Another things that is cool with what Ducati has done is that if it is in Ducati's online catalogue you can get it, doesnt matter if the bike never came to the US or not (ala the clear turn signals on the Euro RSV-R)

Bill in OKC
11-23-2005, 02:45 PM
At least Ducati has a nice catalog printed with all their stuff for all their models - that you can buy(or be re-gifted) from a dealership. Lots of times I have found official Aprilia stuff by accident on ebay or in Europe... Stuff that was never mentioned in the US. There is probably a lot of stuff that those of us out in Aprilia wasteland have never heard of. That orange and black monster is looking pretty sweet.

Waxerdog
11-23-2005, 07:40 PM
So when might we hear from someone that was there?

Or did they have to sign something that sealed their lips?

aprilia_nut
11-24-2005, 07:12 AM

This sucks!!

Not sure if you have tried these 2 names:

Mike Norman or Paul Yoshimune
Customer Service
Ducati North America
+1 408 253 0499 tel

They helped me with my lemonade.

Sean

Arnie
11-24-2005, 10:59 AM

It would be interesting to see the cost analysis that they did on this. Shipping parts international from Italy is not cheap. And arriving in the US in 3-5 days is even more expensive. Particularly if you ship single parts versus bulk.

I agree it may have ultimately improved the customer lead time which is paramount, but I'd argue that may not be the most efficient in terms of cost. Then again whoever said Italians are that concerned about cost anyway? :p:

Arnie
11-24-2005, 11:02 AM

This sucks!!

Is Ducati always this bad on warranty claims? What does your dealer have to say about it?

evandewan
11-24-2005, 11:16 AM
It would be interesting to see the cost analysis that they did on this. Shipping parts international from Italy is not cheap. And arriving in the US in 3-5 days is even more expensive. Particularly if you ship single parts versus bulk. I agree it may have ultimately improved the customer lead time which is paramount, but I'd argue that may not be the most efficient in terms of cost. Then again whoever said Italians are that concerned about cost anyway? :p:

Value is from the customers' perspective; obviously there was a problem with getting the right parts at the right time. Think about the cost of packing, shipping, receiving, counting, handling, storing, inventory-ing, billing, picking, packing, and shipping a part more than once, then freight looks cheap! Value, value stream, flow, pull, and perfection. Toyota has it right, Ducati is just applying proven concepts. I'd like to see Aprilia do some of the same. (2 + weeks for a turn indicator, that'll teach me not to dump the bike!)

clarkie49
11-24-2005, 11:20 AM
It would be interesting to see the cost analysis that they did on this. Shipping parts international from Italy is not cheap. And arriving in the US in 3-5 days is even more expensive. Particularly if you ship single parts versus bulk.

I agree it may have ultimately improved the customer lead time which is paramount, but I'd argue that may not be the most efficient in terms of cost. Then again whoever said Italians are that concerned about cost anyway? :p:

think real estate, insurance, wages, workers comp, law suits (this is America afterall), shipping screwups, overheads etc and it actually works out in their favor. aparently it was purely for financial reasons not to make things easier on the dealers, looks like they ran the numbers and it added up to do it that way :)

milleRrrr
11-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Wait until july/aug when everyone is off on vaction:bond:

hank
11-24-2005, 12:33 PM

:plus: Yes, some kind of official, or unofficial discussion would be much appreciated....

Overall morale here is getting low - even among some of the most die-hard Aprilia fans...

alocker
11-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I just emailed my local dealer who has an 06 Tuono up on cycletrader. Hopefully I can get some info from them by next week. I also suggest a new thread started for this topic.

GeoR
11-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Is Ducati always this bad on warranty claims? What does your dealer have to say about it?

Don't know, it's my first claim, as for the dealer he's a big Ducati only dealer but they've been no help. They refused to even try to put in the claim - I bought the bike used from a private party but it's no reason - they say that Ducati fights them on every claim so they have to chose their fights...yeah right and they charge me $100/hr for what should have been warranty work in the meanwhile. They also sell MV Augustas, I've been drooling for the new 910 Brutale, then the dealer tells me that MV is even worse on warranty work, wtf?!!

I met since then a guy that bought 2 bikes new from that store and they still gave him shit. They tried to refuse a warranty claim for the front brakes because he installed a pc, they say that invalidates the warranty for the whole bike. He also had a leaky gas tank, they sold him a new one without mentioning there was a recall.

GeoR
11-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Not sure if you have tried these 2 names:

Mike Norman or Paul Yoshimune
Customer Service
Ducati North America
+1 408 253 0499 tel

They helped me with my lemonade.

Sean

Same number I've been calling. Thanks for the tip I'll try to reach one those guys next week.

Arnie
11-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Don't know, it's my first claim, as for the dealer he's a big Ducati only dealer but they've been no help. They refused to even try to put in the claim - I bought the bike used from a private party but it's no reason - they say that Ducati fights them on every claim so they have to chose their fights...yeah right and they charge me $100/hr for what should have been warranty work in the meanwhile. They also sell MV Augustas, I've been drooling for the new 910 Brutale, then the dealer tells me that MV is even worse on warranty work, wtf?!!

I met since then a guy that bought 2 bikes new from that store and they still gave him shit. They tried to refuse a warranty claim for the front brakes because he installed a pc, they say that invalidates the warranty for the whole bike. He also had a leaky gas tank, they sold him a new one without mentioning there was a recall.

Wow, sorry to hear that. That's just pathetic. Sometimes a complaint filed with the local Attorney General can work wonders.

aprilia_nut
11-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Same number I've been calling. Thanks for the tip I'll try to reach one those guys next week.

Those guys were really great. Unfortunatley, they could not do anything with my 999, but they did get my $$ back though.

Jony2Stones
11-24-2005, 07:55 PM

Or did they have to sign something that sealed their lips?

TAOAT=this thread....

clarkie49
11-24-2005, 07:56 PM

it's called double dipping, make the customer pay, still put the claim in and the OEM pays you as well ;) sadly it happens a lot more than people know :bond:

vsgofast
11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey Geo,

Was that Ducati dealer in downtown Miami? They moved recently right?

GeoR
11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey Geo,

Was that Ducati dealer in downtown Miami? They moved recently right?

Yeah they moved to real nice showroom off the Palmetto.

Dr. Thrillride
11-24-2005, 10:57 PM
But did you also know that some of the larger dealers act as an 'unofficial wharehouse' selling parts a little more expensive to local dealers for those of us that need them pronto. :cool: (there's that 'Clarkie cool')

Dr. Thrillride
11-24-2005, 10:59 PM
hey Geo, what part are you looking for? If it's a real rarity, let me know as my son lives in Balogna and practically lives at the new Ducati store just down the street from the factory. I can get him to check it out as it will give him an excuse to visit three times a week instead of two.

Yeah they moved to real nice showroom off the Palmetto.

GeoR
11-24-2005, 11:17 PM
it's called double dipping, make the customer pay, still put the claim in and the OEM pays you as well ;) sadly it happens a lot more than people know :bond:

mmm...I don't think they were that bad. Maybe; but I doubt it. The ride height adjuster is frozen by design ( steel bolts into a alum body and threads, without anti seize at assembly). They said they all do that. I asked them to take care of it and they charged me $150 to remove it and adjust it from one end (the other one remained frozen). So it's still not adjustable, they refused to ask Ducati for a new one and I refuse to pay $150 every time I want to change the ride height -which is now a little too high because they didn't listen.

On the first visit they didn't want to claim for a new adjuster because "Ducati claims all corrosion problems are due to owners neglect". I didn't really care as long as it worked, I paid and went home. I tried adjusting after I took it home and scared the bolt - didn't know it was still frozen on one end. I took it back and demanded a new adjuster and then they refused to make the claim because I had scared the nut -not stripped it mind you.

They say I'm not allowed to to make any changes to the bike myself, including suspensions adjustments without voiding the warranty. Oh and btw the only performance mods that wouldn't void the warranty would be factory Ducati Performance parts installed by THEM -sold at list +$100/hr for labor. Needless to say I had smoke coming out of my ears at that point, it was an extortion attempt. Stupid move too, no way I'll buy a Brutale from them now.

vsgofast
11-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Do you think you could get your son to stop by Noale and pick up some APRILIA PARTS? :)

GeoR
11-24-2005, 11:19 PM
hey Geo, what part are you looking for? If it's a real rarity, let me know as my son lives in Balogna and practically lives at the new Ducati store just down the street from the factory. I can get him to check it out as it will give him an excuse to visit three times a week instead of two.
Thanks it ain't a rarity and unless it's free (under warranty) I'll buy a yoyodine instead.

vsgofast
11-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Hey Geo,

I feel for you. I've dealt with them a couple times. They can have a chip on their shoulder. A friend of mine was having problems with his Ducati 749. He took it to them for some warranty work. Wasn't getting anywhere with Ducati/ or the dealer. He finally decided to fix it himself---got rid of the Ducati and bought a Honda Shadow. Ouch!

GeoR
11-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Geo,

I feel for you. I've dealt with them a couple times. They can have a chip on their shoulder. A friend of mine was having problems with his Ducati 749. He took it to them for some warranty work. Wasn't getting anywhere with Ducati/ or the dealer. He finally decided to fix it himself---got rid of the Ducati and bought a Honda Shadow. Ouch!

...from a 749 to a freaking Shadow?????

I understand getting frustrated with service and parts but he could have gotten a Superhawk, RC51, SV1000, V-Strom etc etc.
Gotta say Miami is a lousy town to buy eyetalian.

vsgofast
11-25-2005, 09:50 AM
It worked out great for me! I got his leathers, boots, and helmet :)

Bill in OKC
11-25-2005, 10:42 AM
We have a new Ducati dealer in OKC since last Sat the 19th. It started out as a BMW dealer a couple of years ago, then added Piaggio scooters last summer and now carries Ducati with quite a few bikes on the floor. Our Aprilia dealer has had the same bike on the floor for a year or two now... kind of sad really because every time I ride I think why in he11 didn't this bike take over the world.

Dr. Thrillride
11-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Yah, been there tried that...was looking into an engine casing...

Mestre is about 1.5 hours from Balogna, like right at the foot of Venetia, and there's a really good shop right in Mestre. Noale is about one hour from Mestre but they won't sell you parts. They have their accessories store open between 5 and 7 on Wednesday evenings.

Do you think you could get your son to stop by Noale and pick up some APRILIA PARTS? :)

fire1427
11-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Yes I found out about it ... Took my boat in for service ,The water pump died... Dealer said It was "foreign matter"(seaweed) sucked into the pump... Well I have to understand that they can't prevent it from coming in(act of god)(bad luck) so bottomline it'll be $500 for parts/labor ...Well can't run the boat otherwise "go ahead" It'll be a week "No Problem" go pick up the boat and pay them ...Get a letter from Mercruiser with a survey asking how my warranty service was... :bond: WTF ??? I never got ANY Warranty service Call the 800# turns out I had three service calls and one was for replacing the pump they charged me for :bangwall: After showing them the bill with the same date They refunded my money and revoked his dealership warranty priviledges :lame:

hank
11-25-2005, 03:46 PM
The ride height adjuster is frozen by design ( steel bolts into a alum body and threads, without anti seize at assembly). They said they all do that. I asked them to take care of it and they charged me $150 to remove it and adjust it from one end (the other one remained frozen).

Same thing happened to my 748 - ended up heating it with a blow torch to free it up.... both ends are free now.

Bill in OKC
11-25-2005, 03:48 PM
There is a Kawasaki dealer here in town that used to be a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer. The story is that they lost Suzuki because of some warranty issues...

11-25-2005, 04:42 PM
So WHEN in early 2006 is the SVX coming? January/February or March/April or???

Jony2Stones
11-25-2005, 04:49 PM
So WHEN in early 2006 is the SVX coming? January/February or March/April or???

You missed the boat on this thread man.....

You'll have to start a new thread for some actual Aprilia's Dealer meet info....:D

Now if you wanna talk about the dash on your 999 loosing it's shit, or the starter relay over-heating and soldering itself, or the wire-harness rubbing through, flaky this, and corroding that....then this is your thread...:D

TAOAT....all the way... ;)

duc slayer
11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
hey 999, are you looking for the race versions or the streetable??? different time tables. Race versions I believe in feb/march and streetable between june and ???????????????????????

aprilia_nut
11-28-2005, 06:38 PM
You missed the boat on this thread man.....

You'll have to start a new thread for some actual Aprilia's Dealer meet info....:D

Now if you wanna talk about the dash on your 999 loosing it's shit, or the starter relay over-heating and soldering itself, or the wire-harness rubbing through, flaky this, and corroding that....then this is your thread...:D

TAOAT....all the way... ;)

Sounds just about right. That was my 999 to a "T". Only lasted 4 1/2 months til DNA bought it back.

Jony2Stones
11-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds just about right. That was my 999 to a "T". Only lasted 4 1/2 months til DNA bought it back.

First the dash, then the ecm, the wiring harness.....apparently those items are cheap to replace FIRST....no trouble-shoot necessary.

Certain ducatis' seem better than others (monsters and multi-stradas seem more robust---however I have seen some form of failure in all models).

hank
11-28-2005, 07:02 PM
OK, so we aren't going to get any info about what went on during the actual Aprilia Dealers Meetings...

What about the rest of the time - can someone who attended please tell us something, ANYTHING about the trip/events?

Any stripper stories? titty bar action? Micah.... Ed.... Anyone get arrested?

;) ANYTHING??? ;)

RZRob
11-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm calling my buddy Kregg on Tuesday. He was there. He Owns California Speed Sports. I want to get my order in for one of those V450s :lover:

I'll append this post immediately following.

RZ Rob :peace:

11-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Race Supermoto. I don't know if I can get one now. I just bought an '03 749S...

:cool: :cigar:

Seriously. :cathat:

hey 999, are you looking for the race versions or the streetable??? different time tables. Race versions I believe in feb/march and streetable between june and ???????????????????????

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-29-2005, 04:40 PM
OK, so we aren't going to get any info about what went on during the actual Aprilia Dealers Meetings...

What about the rest of the time - can someone who attended please tell us something, ANYTHING about the trip/events?

Any stripper stories? titty bar action? Micah.... Ed.... Anyone get arrested?

;) ANYTHING??? ;)

none of got arrested or laid.....met one cool chick on the plane. Hertz hoooked us up on a upgraded car, an Infinity FX35....those things suck!!! Slow and weird to drive, and more blind spots than a semi-truck.

we got a little bit drunk Thursday night. GE Capital graciously provided a free open bar. The hotel was very nice, and we had a nice dinner Thursday night.

Friday was the meeting, started with a nice breakfast. The first part of the meeting was all about how Colaninno got invloved with Piaggio, the whole buyout, and the timeline for it, and how it all happened.

then, they started with Vespa and Piaggio scooters, as that is how they make money. M-G and Aprilia is a small piece of their very large pie. In the last couple of years, Vespa and Piaggio scooters went from loosing a ton of money to making money. New products and new markets drove the Piaggio and Vespa scooter turnaround. Then we saw all the media coverage Vespa and Piaggio has received in the USA. Vespas have been all over mainstream TV including all the morning shows on major networks. They have completely turned around the Vespa-to-Dealer relations, and improved on backordered parts by over 50%. They are fully aware of the problems we all have been having lately. They gave themselves poor grades in many areas. They have made big changes with Vespa and Piaggio brands, next is the Aprilia and M-G brands. The Vespa dealers we talked too, agreed. Big imporvemenets have been made. Remember Aprilia and M-G are now part of the Piaggio Group.

The next part was introducing the new Aprilia personel, pretty much all new people. The new Aprilia office is being run out of Piaggio in NY. The new service and technical training center will be in CA. They've added many new positions, and all seemed eager and positive to fix the problems. Many new people were added to the Sales side as well, so as to imporve dealer relations, and to solve dealer/customer issues more quickly. All very positive....06 will be a rebuilding year, 07-08 will be great years. They were very determined to 3X their sales in 3 years. They said it many times.....3x in 3 years....

the next part of the meeting was introduction of new models on the stage.....we saw some new scooters from Vespa, and Piaggio, new Moto-Guzzis and the new 2006 Aprilia Tuono, SXV, and RXV. Real production ones, sitting on stage. Got to sit on them all.

Then dealers went to specifc meetings with their brand......remember Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilia, and M-G dealers from all over North America were there.

We went upstairs to a 1:1 meeting with the dealer development guys. Had a good long talk with those guys...

We then later came back downstairs and caught the last of the Aprilia specific meeting, so we got to see all the new 2006 pricing, and dealer incentive plans. All looked good to us. By the end of the day, we were worn out, had some more hotel beers, and went to bed.

The next day we went to the CycleWorld show in Denver and saw all the new 2006 bikes.....it was OK. Flew home later on Saturday, and slept for a whole day....

Waxerdog
11-29-2005, 05:21 PM
So the new dealers had to buy the drinks after the meeting? :happy:

I'd like to know where all this action from them is happening in CA. Working in the music business sucks... not that working at all is that fun but maybe working in the motorcycle business would be a little better since I like bikes. :)

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-29-2005, 05:25 PM
from what I remember, in or around LA.....service training and technical center for all Piaggio brands.

duc slayer
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
so when did they mention our damn calenders?????? :kidding:

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
no calender talk.....the guy who used to post on here from the marketing dept is no longer with them....

Beau1K
11-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Screw the calendars! What's up with the L.A. facility...more nfo pls.

alocker
11-29-2005, 06:35 PM
I just got some info from my local dealer. The 06 Tuonos wont be expected until next spring(duh), and they should know more in the next month. He also stated that while the aprilia site shows Factory type options, there will probably be an R version and a Factory version. The R is predicted to be $500 to $1000 more than current Tuono MSRP.

I would be happy to let anyone confirm these statements.

He also said the Ducati S4Rs' will be available in May in limited quantity, possibly titled as early release 07's and priced at $14,999, which doesnt seem too bad.

Finally, KTM 950 Supermotos arrive in Feb if anyone cares. Limited quantity like 2 per dealer.

thunderex
11-29-2005, 08:03 PM
no calender talk.....the guy who used to post on here from the marketing dept is no longer with them....
hampton's gone? he was a nice guy. met him at laguna. sheesh.

buck000
11-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Is Pandya still with aprilia? He seemed like a pretty cool guy...

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-30-2005, 12:32 AM
hampton's gone? he was a nice guy. met him at laguna. sheesh.

yes, Hampton is gone

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-30-2005, 12:33 AM

yes, he is.....got promoted actually.....

JoeKher
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
I just got some info from my local dealer. The 06 Tuonos wont be expected until next spring(duh), and they should know more in the next month. He also stated that while the aprilia site shows Factory type options, there will probably be an R version and a Factory version. The R is predicted to be $500 to $1000 more than current Tuono MSRP.

I would be happy to let anyone confirm these statements.

He also said the Ducati S4Rs' will be available in May in limited quantity, possibly titled as early release 07's and priced at $14,999, which doesnt seem too bad.

Finally, KTM 950 Supermotos arrive in Feb if anyone cares. Limited quantity like 2 per dealer.There will be no "factory" Tuono in the states from what my dealer said. Look a like OZ wheels are standard equipment. Spring/First quarter til we see product on showroom floors.

KTM Supermoto's are only available through 950 dealers and not every KTM dealer is a 950 dealer so those bikes will be hard to find!

clarkie49
11-30-2005, 09:08 AM

Robert is in charge of the marketing for the off-road products (SVX,RXV etc) and he did wonders for Aprilia's image with the RS250 based Aprilia Cup competition, so that could mean........ ;)

RZRob
11-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Everything I read above sounds exactly like what I was told. The underlying point I left with was that we need to be prepared for more lack of activity - from the outside - as they finish the regrouping. Probably the most painful realization is no parts availability for awhile still as they implement a new ERP system (SAP). This will likely take a couple months +. I know for Toshiba this took us much longer and we (like most others) stumbled a lot along the way.

Also, don't expect any new models on US shores for a long time - with the exception of a limited number of SXV/RXV 450s. What you see at the CW shows (450-wise) is a version we won't get.

Finally, in So Cal they've opened a training facility. It's in Costa Mesa and training will begin through December.

I think the best thing about Aprilia is that they do have solid financial footing and they're in the process of setting up for a stronger future. A lot of people are making big investments in a long prosperous future. They need a loyal fan base to mame it here though, so in spite of how bleak it may look sometimes, hang in there. And, don't break your bike cause you won't get any parts for a long time.

hank
11-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Robert is in charge of the marketing for the off-road products (SVX,RXV etc) and he did wonders for Aprilia's image with the RS250 based Aprilia Cup competition, so that could mean........ ;)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Perhaps an Aprilia Cup Challange for the SVX & RXV? That might make the buying public make some noise on the AMA's stance on twins for motoX....

Ricky J
11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Several dealers were especially despondent after the meeting, and needed special therapy. Here is one such session in progress:

Bill in OKC
11-30-2005, 01:36 PM
It is hard to tell just what kind of bike that is with the 'disguise' over the headlights... new model? lol. j/k

ZeroTwoRSV
11-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Don't worry, that's an '02 model.

moss2481
11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
So, getting parts will still be an issue, a struggle, a headache, an excercise in futility.... :whiner:

no wonder they come with a two year unlimited mileage warranty :rolleyes:

evandewan
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
ERP ( which doesn't stand for Easily received Parts) is the bane of many organizations, esp. those that are trying to (?) please customers with service. I wouldn't hold my breath in the hopes the SAP solution will be quick or painless.

zvez
11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
It pretty much sounds like Pegaso is writing off the whole Aprilia scene now and planning to start fresh in a year or two when they have their act together, damn, knew I should ve bought the 999!

Chris

Jony2Stones
11-30-2005, 08:46 PM
It pretty much sounds like Pegaso is writing off the whole Aprilia scene now and planning to start fresh in a year or two when they have their act together, damn, knew I should ve bought the 999!

Chris

Where did you get that???

Fresh $$$, new ideas/models....

Sounds to me like the best years are too come!!!

:rambo:

novos
11-30-2005, 09:06 PM

Chris

Don't you mean Piaggio? :cathat:

zvez
11-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Right your are, my bad, piaggio of course.

Well, it's just I bought the Tuono from a local dealer, bike's not running right, the local guys are clueless so I have to truck it to the nearest dealer Atlanta to see if they can sort it. If it's a part issue, sounds like I'll be burning warranty while it sits. Fingers crossed it's not a big deal. At least with Ducs, parts are pretty easy and we've got a number of great shops in the Atlanta area to work on them.

I'm not saying long term things won't improve drastically for Aprilia in the US (they can really only go up from here). They do need to get rid of at least one dealer (where I bought mine from- had the bike a month, still no owners manual or toolkit!). But it sounds like heaven help anyone that has warranty issues with the bikes in the near term.

Trying not to be pessimistic.
Chris

Jiggla
11-30-2005, 09:14 PM
ERP ( which doesn't stand for Easily received Parts) is the bane of many organizations, esp. those that are trying to (?) please customers with service. I wouldn't hold my breath in the hopes the SAP solution will be quick or painless.

You know SAP stands for Stops All Production :bond: I hate that program with a passion. I do not know of anyone who has gone through a quick or painless switch to SAP (See America Paralyzed) Parts requirements are pushed out on their own every day without any notification to the person who entered the order. Did I mention I hate SAP?

- Pete

vsgofast
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
You guys are really scaring me! I remember one of the reasons I bought an Aprilia over Ducati was because Aprilia stressed how much time they spent on developing a good support network for the bikes in the United States. Now it seems that dealers have had to poach parts from bikes they have in inventory. This definitely is not a good sign. I hope Piaggio keeps us in mind and rewards us for our loyalty, or do they consider us a "captive" audience? :pissed:

JoeKher
12-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Now it seems that dealers have had to poach parts from bikes they have in inventory. :funnypost You don't think that Ducati dealers poach parts off instock units? Welcome to the European motorcycle industry!

When I got my Ducati it ended up with so many parts off other bikes I felt like I only owned 50% of my bike. On the good side, the dealer did what it took to keep me on the road!

hank
12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
:funnypost You don't think that Ducati dealers poach parts off instock units? Welcome to the European motorcycle industry!

When I got my Ducati it ended up with so many parts off other bikes I felt like I only owned 50% of my bike. On the good side, the dealer did what it took to keep me on the road!

And not just Euro brands.... my first Yamaha streetbike back in 1979 was 'completed' thanks to it's neighbors on the showroom floor.

vsgofast
12-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Things were so much simpler when I had my Schwinn!!!

JoeKher
12-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Things were so much simpler when I had my Schwinn!!!Schwinn? Wow, you must have been rich! Can't beat a Huffy for durability for the dollar! And I could work on those myself (no fuel injection)!

vsgofast
12-02-2005, 10:46 AM
My aristocratic roots have betrayed me!! :rolleyes:

team222
12-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Our dealer here is about to drop Aprilia

:devil:
1. After not hearing from Aprilia or Piaggio in two years our dealer gets a call from Piaggio telling him he has to order 25 bikes!!!!!!!!!!

2. Piaggio then proceeded to tell our dealer with great pride the street-legal SXV/RXVs could not be part of the 25 bikes he had to order ......because............ they were not importing any into the USA in 2006 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. The Aprilia Scooter line that sold well was ofcourse cut back to three models by Piaggio.....our dealer is thinking Piaggio did this to have Apriilia Dealers switch over Vespas as if any Aprilia dealer would ever consider handling two Piaggio lines!!!!

4. Our dealer sold a left over Futura and had to buy it back from the customer when an idle problem could not be fixed and calls to Piaggio yielded no help or advise.

5. There is more.............ofcourse :devil: :devil: :devil:

Want an 06 Capo more than a weeeee bit below retail list..............PM me and I will provide my dealers name and phone number

Mike

vsgofast
12-02-2005, 03:44 PM
My dealer called me today and informed me that no parts are being shipped from Aprilia. Period. New orders are not being accepted. She indicated that Aprilia/Piaggio did not know when part shipments would resume and that I should try to locate the parts myself. :bangwall:

Piaggio if you're reading this---HELP!!/AYUDAME!!!

12-02-2005, 03:45 PM
If your dealer is unable or unwilling to sell 25 motorcycles in a year then it is probably in both parties best interest to part ways. They should take a good hard look at their marketing and sales skills.

Our dealer here is about to drop Aprilia

After not hearing from Aprilia or Piaggio in two years our dealer gets a call from Piaggio telling him he has to order 25 bikes!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

team222
12-02-2005, 04:06 PM
If your dealer is unable or unwilling to sell 25 motorcycles in a year then it is probably in both parties best interest to part ways. They should take a good hard look at their marketing and sales skills.

Let's see if I get this......here we have dealer that sells hundreds of motorcycles a year that has went through uncertainity of the Aprilia bankrupcy....then not being able to get parts for two years and also not hearing from Piaggio for two years and you expect him to pony up and buy 25 Aprilias.

Great logic.....you should work for Piaggio.

Mike

12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
If you guys can't move two units a month, it's not really worth talking about is it? :)

clarkie49
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Let's see if I get this......here we have dealer that sells hundreds of motorcycles a year that has went through uncertainity of the Aprilia bankrupcy....then not being able to get parts for two years and also not hearing from Piaggio for two years and you expect him to pony up and buy 25 Aprilias.

being able to sell 100's of bikes a year doesnt mean that they know how to sell Aprilia's...

if they couldn't get parts for two years they should learn how to use a phone or a computer...

you only have to order 25 units if you want to remain a 'DIGS'...

it has already been reported in this thread there are no 2006 'Street Legal' SXV/RVX's but that isnt going to stop dealers selling everyone they can get their hands on.

sadly if your 'dealer' actually believes everything you said they probably shouldnt remain a dealer, inbetween the bad news they chose to bitch about, the forgot to tell you the good news, and if they say there is no good news, then see above

Bill in OKC
12-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I'd think now is the time to open a Aprilia dealership. When that V4 starts getting press and showing up on superbike grids the sales should start to pick up.

ZeroTwoRSV
12-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I think now is the time for Piaggio to start issuing some kind of leaks about the future that will keep its (rapidly fleeting) faithful speaking kindly of the brand, instead of doubtful discussions and bashings ;)

olie
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM
My local dealership had big hopes on Aprilia. Meanwhile they are selling well the Triumph and Ducati. I see no or little action on the Aprilia line. BTW, they have top of the line Aprilia mechanics!!! Clarkie, for sure you known them.

team222
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
If you guys can't move two units a month, it's not really worth talking about is it? :)

Actually I think you are on to something.

Why dont Clarkie and you form a company to finance the flooring of Aprilias for those dealers that kicked Aprilia out in the last two years (25% of all the dealers in the USA by the way)

25 units per dealer is only $250,000 at 10k per bike

If 50 dealers gave Aprilia the boot then the total flooring for your company would only be $12,500,000

You charge 10% interest on this and you guys can then become full time commentators on this line and pocket over a million per year in Aprilia flooring interest.

And whats the risk ...right?????

Mike

clarkie49
12-02-2005, 05:28 PM
some dealers have a business model that works well with the Aprilia brand, and some dont :) if the shop owner and employees are bitching about the brand why would anyone walking into the shop to buy one take the next step?

team222
12-02-2005, 05:39 PM
some dealers have a business model that works well with the Aprilia brand, and some dont :) if the shop owner and employees are bitching about the brand why would anyone walking into the shop to buy one take the next step?

Can we stick to what I actually have stated for once?

I never said employees are bitching about Aprilia at this shop to customers...........did I? I never said the owner is bitching about Aprilia at this shop to customers...........did I? The dealership owner told me about Aprilia because we have known each other for 20 years and are friends.

Aprilias problems with dealers in the USA is far beyond any logical business dealership model so lets get back to why 25% of dealerships in the USA kicked Aprilia out the last two years and what your views are on what is causing this (Piaggio is exempt ofcourse since they do nothing according to you)

and.... also explain since how you want to cover the $250,000 for the 25 bikes Aprilia is demanding our dealer buy. I called him.....they are interested!!!!!!!

Mike

Mike

2whlgeezer
12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
some dealers have a business model that works well with the Aprilia brand, and some dont :) if the shop owner and employees
and the customer
are bitching about the brand why would anyone walking into the shop to buy one take the next step?
From my personal experience I would say more like very few dealers have a working business model. God bless AF1 and you guys for being cool and all, but it's pretty easy to see that dealers and existing customers alike are more than a liitle burned out and skeptical. My friendly local dealer bailed last year along with at least one other. They (and we) have been strung along for way too long. I had problems with both, but can easily understand their frustrations. Selling Aprilia alongside other brands has got to be difficult. 25 bikes a year? At 2 a month that sounds easy, but we all know that there have been lots of bikes that wouldn't sell even at fire sale prices. So how hard is it going to be now to get back up to anywhere near retail? No one buys something like an Aprilia and expects to hold value, but a lot of us have very nice bikes that we would love to dump and get back even a fraction of what we paid at retail. Not because there is anything wrong with the bike, but just because of parts and service frustrations. We would like to be able to ride without worrying about breaking something and have a bike sit and sit. Thankfully most of us don't have to depend on our Aprilias for daily transportation- BUT- we should be able to expect it.
By the way, how are those contingency checks coming along?

Bill in OKC
12-02-2005, 05:57 PM
It is pretty clear to me that a sportbike's sales are closely related to race results. How else can you explain Ducati? :kidding: Then again I am personally reluctant to buy into that CAN bus stuff. You have to PAY BOSCH a fee just to transmit data (develop stuff) using their proprietary communications protocol - legally anyways. My dealership had trouble servicing out the battery before I took delivery (and I could not refuse this first dealer service or my warranty would be void OMFG) I can just imagine them trying to fix a real problem - and they keep making this stuff more complicated. Thats just me though I guess most people are not any more scared of CAN bus than any other type of electronics. Hire back Corser and kick butt on the V4 and sales will pick back up. The testosterone levels alone will sell bikes even if zero spare parts are available.

clarkie49
12-02-2005, 06:01 PM
i was speaking in general terms of dealers that are disgruntled with Aprilia :)

if your dealer wants me to write him up a sucessful business plan to sell Aprilia's it will cost him ;)

believe it or not if he orders 25 units (which as i already pointed out he doesnt have to) a big truck isnt going to turn up and drop off 25 bikes at one time. you do actually have some input as to when they are delivered throughout the year.

it sounds like your dealer doesnt have any room left on his flooring, GE doesnt care if the flooring is used to purchase Aprilia's or Suzuki's :)

of the 25% of dealers that are no longer selling the brand how many self terminated and how many were terminated?

but hey, i am just a dumb mechanic out back wrenching on bikes all day :)

duc slayer
12-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Clarkie, you can lead a horse to water.....................

GeoR
12-02-2005, 06:19 PM
i was speaking in general terms of dealers that are disgruntled with Aprilia :)

if your dealer wants me to write him up a sucessful business plan to sell Aprilia's it will cost him ;)

believe it or not if he orders 25 units (which as i already pointed out he doesnt have to) a big truck isnt going to turn up and drop off 25 bikes at one time. you do actually have some input as to when they are delivered throughout the year.

it sounds like your dealer doesnt have any room left on his flooring, GE doesnt care if the flooring is used to purchase Aprilia's or Suzuki's :)

of the 25% of dealers that are no longer selling the brand how many self terminated and how many were terminated?

but hey, i am just a dumb mechanic out back wrenching on bikes all day :)

Since you're NOT there's something that I wanted to know for a fact.
I always thought that huge discrepancies in new Aprilia sale prices - back then in 01-03 were due to the fact that Aprilia HAD a much larger margin between wholesale and MSRP than other manufacturers.

Was I right or wrong?

Ricky J
12-02-2005, 06:22 PM
My dealer called me today and informed me that no parts are being shipped from Aprilia. Period. New orders are not being accepted. She indicated that Aprilia/Piaggio did not know when part shipments would resume and that I should try to locate the parts myself. :bangwall:

Piaggio if you're reading this---HELP!!/AYUDAME!!!

Perhaps SAP means Sinking Aprilia-Piaggio.

It would appear to be the current situation...

zvez
12-02-2005, 07:01 PM
But you guys are all focusing on sales of Aprilia bikes. Until Piaggio can actually take care of present customers with warranty issues as well as parts availability how on earth can they expect people to buy a new bike? All this talk of future models, big plans, etc means absolutely nothing to those people presently with bikes with outstanding warranty claims.

The other point is Aprilia has to stop giving their dealerships out to ANYONE with the CASH to buy bikes. The dealer I bought from sells cruiser bikes and from the sales all the way through to service/support, they're clueless about the sportbike scene. One wonders what the guys at Aprilia were thinking when they signed this guy on.

Granted when Triumph first came back to the US market they gave out dealerships to any warm bodies, gradually that changed, but hell, Aprilias been in the states since 99-00.

Really a shame because the Mille R I owned and the Tuono I now own are magnificent bikes. But a magnificent bike isn't much good if it's sitting at the dealer waiting on parts.

Chris

vsgofast
12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Piaggio talking about all the great things that are going to happen in two years...I hope they're not referring to when I should expect to see my parts to get my Aprilia back on the road.

On their website they mention how they're striving for world dominance/market globalization...how are they going to do that if they piss off all their current customers??

From what I read they're trying to get into the Chinese and Indian markets. Are they searching for a new playing field?

12-03-2005, 08:56 AM
It's just this simple- If a Dealer does not feel confident in HIS ABILITY to sell 25 units in 365 days, than he should not be a Dealer.
If your buddy WANTS to be a successful Aprilia dealer but does not know HOW to go about it, I am willing to come to PA and train his sales staff TO SELL and help him with his marketing plan for 10 days a month for 3 months. I would charge $20,000 for this.
Contrary to popular belief, motorcycles do not sell themselves. It takes marketing to bring customers in, Salesmen to sell the bike and good management to support the salespeople.

Aprilias problems with dealers in the USA is far beyond any logical business dealership model so lets get back to why 25% of dealerships in the USA kicked Aprilia out the last two years and what your views are on what is causing this (Piaggio is exempt ofcourse since they do nothing according to you)

and.... also explain since how you want to cover the $250,000 for the 25 bikes Aprilia is demanding our dealer buy. I called him.....they are interested!!!!!!!

Mike

Mike

clarkie49
12-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Contrary to popular belief, motorcycles do not sell themselves. It takes marketing to bring customers in, Salesmen to sell the bike and good management to support the salespeople.

:plus: :plus: :plus:

vsgofast
12-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Marketing...how else can you explain why people stand in line for Harleys!!

TheWheel
12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
In today's world of "just in time" parts delivery, globalization, FedEx, etc., why can't Aprilia get parts delivered????????? Here's an idea. Setup your new warehouse/distribution system before you shut down the old one!

olie
12-03-2005, 10:00 AM
In today's world of "just in time" parts delivery, globalization, FedEx, etc., why can't Aprilia get parts delivered????????? Here's an idea. Setup your new warehouse/distribution system before you shut down the old one!
That's obvious and smart, but...OTT for Aprilia!!!

2whlgeezer
12-03-2005, 01:29 PM
.......and parts and a service manual (where's my Falco service manual?) to fix the broken bikes so that the brand will have a good reputation- that's part of marketing folks, and lack of parts ain't the dealers fault..

zvez
12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
The business model that addresses selling bikes and doesn't focus on what to do with the customers after they buy the bike is doomed to fail. Aprilia is all geared up on getting order books full for 06. What about addressing the issues of the existing owners? The best sales tool for motorcycles are HAPPY owners. All the fancy business plans in the world don't mean squat if you have a huge body of dissatisfied PREVIOUS customers/present owners.
Chris

Wrath
12-03-2005, 03:58 PM
true. i want a tuono next year, but it's not going to happen unless this thread turns around between now and then.

Brenda H.
12-03-2005, 04:16 PM

I AGREE!! Someone forgot the "5 P's" - "prior planning prevents poor performance"!! I've been waiting on a voltage regulator for my AA 500 since early Sept. With Atlanta in full shutdown, I have no idea when I'll get my bike back! According to Jay B. [who has my bike], he has no idea as to when bikes will be available, let alone the parts for them! If anyone could come with the part, I'd appreciate it. This is a warranty repair btw. Jay has asked Atlanta if he could get the part from another dealer. So far as I know, they didn't even bother with an answer.

My opinion of Atlanta :bond:

Take Care,

Brenda H.

2003 Atlantic 500
2004 Rally 50

hank
12-03-2005, 04:44 PM
All the fancy business plans in the world don't mean squat if you have a huge body of dissatisfied PREVIOUS customers/present owners.
Chris

Sad to agree but you do have a point there.... I know someone looking to buy a full-liter twin, choosing between:

Ducati 999S, Aprilia Factory and Honda RC51/SP2

After a lot of research (including trolling this forum) and several long discussions with various owners of each bike, he is going with the Honda.....

zvez
12-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Sad to agree but you do have a point there.... I know someone looking to buy a full-liter twin, choosing between:

Ducati 999S, Aprilia Factory and Honda RC51/SP2

After a lot of research (including trolling this forum) and several long discussions with various owners of each bike, he is going with the Honda.....

And Hank you know, that's such a shame, the Mille is an outstanding and totally underrated bike!
Chris

2cats
12-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I'll bet most current motorcyle owners and prospective first time buyers have never heard of Aprilia. I don't think it matters whether we are happy or pissed off. I think Piaggio is ready to start over with a clean slate, and that we are expendable.

Many of us will buy new, afraid and frustrated with the logistics of supporting our current rides, and hoping that things will be different this time.

vtrandall
12-03-2005, 05:58 PM
And Hank you know, that's such a shame, the Mille is an outstanding and totally underrated bike!
Chris

....and way better looking than the RC51 :)

GeoR
12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
....and way better looking than the RC51 :)

Not only that but the Mille makes for a much better all around bike (gearing, powerband etc). The SP2 has 2 things over the Mille though: top end and parts.
My best friend in Miami has a well set up and twicked RC51 - SP2 and we've ridden each other bikes quite often. Let's say we're both happy about our choices, only he talks about Honda's racing history and me... I care about what I'm riding, not freaking history.

ps he doesn't like the mille better than his Honda, but he likes the prilia a lot more than I like the Honda. ;)

zvez
12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I'll bet most current motorcyle owners and prospective first time buyers have never heard of Aprilia. I don't think it matters whether we are happy or pissed off. I think Piaggio is ready to start over with a clean slate, and that we are expendable.

Many of us will buy new, afraid and frustrated with the logistics of supporting our current rides, and hoping that things will be different this time.

2cats, the one big difference being, the European motorcycle niche is tiny in comparison to Japanese. The Italian niche even tinier, and Aprilia, positively microscopic. In these small cliques, good/bad experiences travel fast. The average buyer of a european bike in my experience tends to be a bit older, and is not trying to buy the latest fastest greatest bike, but a bike with individuality. That's how it's been for me anyway.

Chris

hank
12-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Chris

:plus: I totally agree... but he also considered easy access to dealer(s), parts, service, etc. Honda dealers are plentiful and their parts network is amazing - both OEM bits AND aftermarket.

clarkie49
12-03-2005, 08:40 PM
So, to read this thread as an outsider looking in, trying to get a feel if they should buy an Aprilia or not, you could recap this entire thread by saying (this is not my perception by the way)...

Piaggio sucks...
Aprilia SPA sucks...
Aprilia USA sucks...
Piaggio is screwing the dealers...
the Dealers are screwing the customers...
the Dealers/Dealer network sucks...
the parts supply sucks...
the product sucks (from the 100's of recalls)...
the product is over priced...
doesnt hold its value...
and all the current owners do is piss and moan...

by looking at the forum in the last month it has become aparent that all the dealers should dump the brand so they dont have to deal with pissed off customers, thus leaving the current owners in a worse situation than they are now. the customers should organise a group ride to burn the Piaggio office down and take what parts they need. and prospective buyers should buy a Honda or (cant believe I'm saying it) a Ducati instead?

does someone have to start the yearly 'I love my Aprilia and my Dealer' thread again, or should I just join the masses jumping ship and race a Suzuki next year?

Davenet
12-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeup! By the way, I just saved a bundle switching to Geiko!

Also, what's a young fellow like you with a hot wife doing sitting at home on the computer on a Saturday night?? When are we going out? Set a date.

Davenet
12-03-2005, 09:09 PM
You know SAP stands for Stops All Production :bond: I hate that program with a passion. I do not know of anyone who has gone through a quick or painless switch to SAP (See America Paralyzed) Parts requirements are pushed out on their own every day without any notification to the person who entered the order. Did I mention I hate SAP?

- Pete

Sweet goodness gracious. When I read that on page 10, I just could not believe SAP was the same SAP I just got saddled with at work six months ago. Mercedes, Dialmer Chrysler, Freightliner, Western Star, Thomas, etc. just swapped everyone to the same system.

SAP = Suck Ass Program.

That one program has added 25% more time intensive workload to my day.

The only good thing is the yo-yo who designed that piece of shit is going to be sitting in purgatory up until the last person to use the program has a chance to kick him in the balls.

zvez
12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
So, to read this thread as an outsider looking in, trying to get a feel if they should buy an Aprilia or not, you could recap this entire thread by saying (this is not my perception by the way)...

Piaggio sucks...
Aprilia SPA sucks...
Aprilia USA sucks...
doesnt hold its value...

by looking at the forum in the last month it has become aparent that all the dealers should dump the brand so they dont have to deal with pissed off customers, thus leaving the current owners in a worse situation than they are now. the customers should organise a group ride to burn the Piaggio office down and take what parts they need. and prospective buyers should buy a Honda or (cant believe I'm saying it) a Ducati instead?

does someone have to start the yearly 'I love my Aprilia and my Dealer' thread again, or should I just join the masses jumping ship and race a Suzuki next year?

Well,
Clarkie, from my standpoint, this is exactly what's happening to me, two months into returning to the Aprilia fold, my local dealer has no clue about Aprilias (These are the guys, when they pdi'd this bike put about a pint of oil in the COOLANT overflow tank!), probably wont continue to be a dealer. And it's increasingly starting to look like Motobritalia is going away, that means, no viable dealer in GA, so what the hell do I do with a 10k bookend that has mechanical problems? A great bike, but if it's broke the greatest bike in the world is only scrap iron. I'm wide open to suggestions. Knowing what I know now, hell yeah, I'd of bought another Ducati and waited to see if/when Aprilia got it's act together.

I'd love to be able start an I love my Aprilia dealer, but don't have one!

The situation you presently have, buy an Aprilia if your lucky enough to live near AF1 Clarkie or one of the few good dealers out there.
Chris

olie
12-03-2005, 09:35 PM

Piaggio sucks...
Aprilia SPA sucks...
Aprilia USA sucks...
doesnt hold its value...

Clarkie, you are right, we are pissed and over reacting!! ...and what are Aprilia/Piaggio skulls doing about it?? oops...another 2 weeks delay on the switchover of the spare parts department.

2whlgeezer
12-03-2005, 10:13 PM
So, to read this thread as an outsider.....(edited to conserve bandwidth)...

...and justifiable in doing so.........

by looking at the forum in the last month it has become aparent that all the dealers should dump the brand so they dont have to deal with pissed off customers,
many already have done so, and justified in doing so.

and prospective buyers should buy a Honda or (cant believe I'm saying it) a Ducati instead?
Yep. At least I can easily get parts for my 13 year old Ducati, and I tell my friends about it often.

does someone have to start the yearly 'I love my Aprilia and my Dealer' thread again,
It would be theradbare ( to coin a phrase)

or should I just join the masses jumping ship and race a Suzuki next year?
Your choice. How's that contingency check coming along? It's been many a moon since I earned one, and things may have changed, but back in the day I can tell you that Honda was great about those things.

Please don't take it personally Clarkie, I know everyone here appreciates your (and AF1's!!!!!!) loyalty, but it's tough to own a garage queen, even if it is a really cool one.
Bitter? Heck yes I am bitter.

Sprocket
12-03-2005, 10:51 PM
If Aprilia wants to be a major player in the USA, it has change their way of thought.and not be like a typical Italian business, that can't deliever.

Aprilia builds great bikes and scooters, but if they can't market the product and meet supply and demand. how can they have a big presence in the States.

In reading some info on Ducati, they said that America was a very important market for their products. and that was one of the biggest reasons, they enter AMA Superbike with full factory support. to help promote product and sales.(Give them credit they are trying)

maybe Aprilia should take a page from Ducati's way of thinking, regarding their presence in the USA.

clarkie49
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
well, you guys and gals have convinced me, I guess I will be racing a Suzuki next year afterall

and no I'm not joking, if Aprilia is doomed then there isnt any point in me trying to convince anyone of anything different. Dont worry, i dont take any of the above replies (or anything posted to or about me on the forum) personally and do understand why everyone is bitter. Sometimes an uphill battle just becomes too much to deal with, and sometimes you just see the light :)

Kinda makes me wonder is AF1 did the right thing becoming a dealer...

50Joe
12-03-2005, 11:32 PM
I haven't bothered to read through this whole thread, but I'll put a plug in for Touring Sport Aprilia, BMW, Ducati in Greenville, SC. They know their bikes and they are a good dealer for all three brands. BTW, Frank Shockley is the GM there and has raced a Mille for several years now in WERA. Their number is 864-232-2269 if you want to see if they can help you.

2cats
12-03-2005, 11:41 PM
2cats, the one big difference being, the European motorcycle niche is tiny in comparison to Japanese. The Italian niche even tinier, and Aprilia, positively microscopic.

A microscopic niche is easily replaced. There are hundreds of millions of Chinese and Indians that need scooters. The U.S. is primed for scooters while gas prices are high.

CBRrider
12-04-2005, 12:07 AM
You can tell it's getting cold outside by the amount of time we have to bitch; whether it's legitimate bitching or we're just irritable.

We lust after the exotic Italians even though our rational side is with the Japanese....neither side quite gets it right. Since most of us are male and refer to our bikes in the feminine, it's obvious which side we listen to :bangwall:

vsgofast
12-04-2005, 01:53 AM
I think we all want Piaggio to take notice and give us the support we need so that we can stay in the Aprilia fold. If they could get the parts/dealer situation addressed we probably wouldn't bitch so much! I love my bike but right now it's sitting in service and I have no idea when I'll get it back!!

snowmanron
12-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Hopefully this makes you guys feel better. I bought my RSVR in October from MCC in Chicago. They told me that there seems to be a bit of a turnaround in Aprilia service. They claim that in the last year it is getting easier to get parts from Aprilia and are getting better cooperation.

zvez
12-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I haven't bothered to read through this whole thread, but I'll put a plug in for Touring Sport Aprilia, BMW, Ducati in Greenville, SC. They know their bikes and they are a good dealer for all three brands. BTW, Frank Shockley is the GM there and has raced a Mille for several years now in WERA. Their number is 864-232-2269 if you want to see if they can help you.

50Joe.
Thanks for the tip. I might just give them a call, Greenvilles about 260 miles from here, but certainly closer than TX.
Chris

Jiggla
12-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Sweet goodness gracious. When I read that on page 10, I just could not believe SAP was the same SAP I just got saddled with at work six months ago. Mercedes, Dialmer Chrysler, Freightliner, Western Star, Thomas, etc. just swapped everyone to the same system.

SAP = Suck Ass Program.

That one program has added 25% more time intensive workload to my day.

The only good thing is the yo-yo who designed that piece of shit is going to be sitting in purgatory up until the last person to use the program has a chance to kick him in the balls.

:funnypost

I'll be sure to wear steel toe boots that day :cigar:

2cats
12-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I've used Touring Sport once, in October at my most recent service, and it was good. They have a factory trained tech there, as opposed to some other dealerships which do not.

RZRob
12-04-2005, 11:33 AM
well, you guys and gals have convinced me, I guess I will be racing a Suzuki next year afterall

and no I'm not joking

Say it ain't so Joe. Clarkie, don't go and do something silly. It'd be like Captain Kirk joining the Klingons or something. Seriously, we need you here during the darkest hour before the dawn.

I'm an advocate and I know a lot of others here are too. I like the bikes. Being unique is ...well unique, and that's cool. Anyone can go buy a Suzuki. I've got one in my garage, but I beat the crap out of it in the desert and nobody gives it a second look.

If you jump ship, it'll be a devastating blow to the US (perhaps even worldwide) Aprilia marque. Stay the course. Things will turn around and those of us that weather the storm will be stronger as a result.

Brenda H.
12-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I think we all want Piaggio to take notice and give us the support we need so that we can stay in the Aprilia fold. If they could get the parts/dealer situation addressed we probably wouldn't bitch so much! I love my bike but right now it's sitting in service and I have no idea when I'll get it back!!

I love my AA500. I put over 6k miles on it in the first 6 months I rode it full time. And less than 100 in the last 4 thanks to it's sitting collecting dust in Jay's shop [he's to give it a bath before I get it back!]. I have never seen an outfit as screwed up as this bunch is. Not just Aprilia, but the disaster-in-the-making that Piaggio has caused. Jay has told me he can order neither bikes or parts while the "transition" is in effect. The term "criminally stupid" comes to mind.

Aprilia Atlanta was a joke when it came to "customer service". When I called them about the regulator for my bike [after it had been sitting in Jay's shop for 2 months!], they were completely unable to look up the part number. I was informed that the one I had was "invalid" [it wasn't] and that I should look up the right one and call them back. If you can walk into any auto parts store in the country and order a part for any one of a hundred different vehicles, why can't a multi-national corporation keep track of it's own part numbers? Now Piaggio has shut it down apparently without bothering to have bikes or parts available to it's dealers while the changeover is in effect. I would imagine that will make a noticeable cut in income for their "new division" not to mention causing problems for what few dealers they have left, especially for those who like Jay, are strictly Aprilia dealers.

I have had serious thoughts about trading my bike in. It makes no sense to me to be making payments on something I can't even see. But how can I trade in a bike that isn't running with no idea of if and/or when the parts to get it back on the road will even show up! I can't ride a Beo 500, too short legged. Ditto the Silverwing and to some extent, the Burgie 650. That leaves the 400 Burgie [my second choice when bike hunting], or the X-9 {nope!}, or the BV500 {UGH!}. <<TMax maybe! if it was in the US>> If I could trade it in on a newer AA500, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But Aprilia saw to it that option isn't going to happen anytime soon. DUMB!! LIke someone said, I'm "burning warranty" on a bike I can't ride because somebody NEVER bothered to do it right. If Piaggio doesn't get it's act together and soon, I will be riding Japanese rather than Italian.

Take Care,

Brenda H.

2003 Atlantic 500
2004 Rally 50

hank
12-04-2005, 12:49 PM

Piaggio sucks...
Aprilia SPA sucks...
Aprilia USA sucks...
doesnt hold its value...

And hopefully Piaggio is monitoring this forum and understands that brand loyalty is critical for a small, expensive brand like Aprilia.

This is a delicate stage for Piaggio/Aprilia, there are customers who are unsure of what to expect and serious issues from the previous administration (i.e., Aprilia USA) are going to be scrutinized (e.g., parts availability, competent dealers, realistic pricing, those damn calendars... :p: etc.).

Price dumping of the leftover inventory on dealer floors was Piaggio's first move and it wasn't well received by the existing owners. Lack of communication during the transition was another key error.... I will not even address the confusion over new models or the availability of the MXV, RXV, SXV 4.5/5.5 V-Twins. (Ducati trumped everyone in Milan with their Hypermotard).

Serious issues and since the average Aprilia owner is a bit more savvy than most other brands, there are certain expectations in terms of pre- and post-merger integration that will be expected. I make a living helping global financial institutions merge - and integrations are NEVER pretty...

Brand loyalty is at an all time low..... frustration is at an all time high.

Piaggio's next move???

evandewan
12-04-2005, 03:29 PM
At the invitation of my local GREAT dealer (Moto International), I had the opportunity to "work" the Cycle World show in Seattle yesterday. My duties comprised of wiping the drool, er, fingerprints off of the RSVR and Tuono models that EVERYONE wanted to sit on. Of course, I talked, joked, and listened to everyone I could for about 4 hours. I was suprised by the number of people who asked if Aprilia was still in business.
Interestingly, I found myself defending the brand, talking about my expierence with the dealer, the bikes (Futura, Mille R, Atlantic 500), and painting an upbeat outlook for the future. Maybe I'm outside the circle of anguish some of you are expierencing, but I'm hopeful.
The Tuono and the SXV/RXV are goregeous looking machines up close. The public was very interested in all the Piaggio brands and the space was full of people most of the day. I trust that the parent company can parlay this public interest as an affirmation of the desireability of the brand and react accordingly. The interest seems to be there, I don't know if the follow-through will be.

AV8OR
12-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Im still an Aprilia fan......my 02 RSV has been great. I want to purchase a new 550 SXV. My biggest problem is dealers.....

there were 3 dealers within an hour drive of me....2 have dropped the brand, and 3rd is the worst dealer of them all :crybaby: .....

sure wish Bloomington HD/Buell will bring back their aprilias!!!!!!!

Arnie
12-04-2005, 05:00 PM
This thread reads like a massive Aprilia defection. Can't say I blame the folks that are having issues with their rides or waiting endlessly for parts. Very sad it's come to this.

I on the other hand will keep riding my Factory (love the bike!) and always keep the Gixxer around. I'm in the market for another bike and considered getting another Aprilia but decided against it for all the reasons stated in this thread. I am looking instead at a Ducati Paul Smart or the '06 BMW R1200S.

olie
12-04-2005, 07:30 PM
We all had higher expectations from Piaggio. The takeover took forever. Piaggio itself is/was coming from a recession. Piaggio knows scooters, Piaggio was not in the top end of the MC business. Very different market. :bangwall:

Being critical of the actions or lack of actions by the present Aprilia owners does not mean deserting the brand. It should be taken in a constructive way. I we all did not care about Aprilia, we would run away without say a thing. Also, it means that we will not take this sh't forever.

The truth is, if I were in the market tomorrow, I would be buying an 06 Capo, with ABS, or a new 04/05 Futura as a second option. If I were interested in a second bike, for sure a Tuono or a Falco would be very high on my list. Meanwhile we all have the "what if..." lists, from B(MW) to Y(amaha). :whiner:

olie
12-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I love my AA500. I put over 6k miles on it in the first 6 months I rode it full time. And less than 100 in the last 4 thanks to it's sitting collecting dust in Jay's shop [he's to give it a bath before I get it back!]. I have never seen an outfit as screwed up as this bunch is. Not just Aprilia, but the disaster-in-the-making that Piaggio has caused. Jay has told me he can order neither bikes or parts while the "transition" is in effect. The term "criminally stupid" comes to mind.

Aprilia Atlanta was a joke when it came to "customer service". When I called them about the regulator for my bike [after it had been sitting in Jay's shop for 2 months!], they were completely unable to look up the part number. I was informed that the one I had was "invalid" [it wasn't] and that I should look up the right one and call them back. If you can walk into any auto parts store in the country and order a part for any one of a hundred different vehicles, why can't a multi-national corporation keep track of it's own part numbers? Now Piaggio has shut it down apparently without bothering to have bikes or parts available to it's dealers while the changeover is in effect. I would imagine that will make a noticeable cut in income for their "new division" not to mention causing problems for what few dealers they have left, especially for those who like Jay, are strictly Aprilia dealers.

I have had serious thoughts about trading my bike in. It makes no sense to me to be making payments on something I can't even see. But how can I trade in a bike that isn't running with no idea of if and/or when the parts to get it back on the road will even show up! I can't ride a Beo 500, too short legged. Ditto the Silverwing and to some extent, the Burgie 650. That leaves the 400 Burgie [my second choice when bike hunting], or the X-9 {nope!}, or the BV500 {UGH!}. <<TMax maybe! if it was in the US>> If I could trade it in on a newer AA500, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But Aprilia saw to it that option isn't going to happen anytime soon. DUMB!! LIke someone said, I'm "burning warranty" on a bike I can't ride because somebody NEVER bothered to do it right. If Piaggio doesn't get it's act together and soon, I will be riding Japanese rather than Italian.

Take Care,

Brenda H.

2003 Atlantic 500
2004 Rally 50

Brenda, I am sorry to know about your nightmare. I am speachless! :bangwall:

vsgofast
12-04-2005, 10:42 PM
This thread reads like a massive Aprilia defection. Can't say I blame the folks that are having issues with their rides or waiting endlessly for parts. Very sad it's come to this.

We can't defect... who's going to buy a bike with no spare parts availibility...maybe Piaggio will give it's captive audience a good deal on the new Tuono or this V4 that's in the rumor mill...

evandewan
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
For a limited edition motorcycle, the fit and finish of the Paul Smart is lacking. The welds on the frame look like someone squeezed them out of a tube, like lumpy toothpaste. If it were painted black, it would hide the sloppy welds on the frame. It's not, and you can see where they were in a cost crunch. Too bad, wonder what else they scrimped on???

Ricky J
12-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Clarkie, if anyone in an official corporate capacity is angered by what they've read here then good! May that powerfully motivate them to prove us wrong.

What those people should take from this thread is Aprilia's situation over here cannot be solved with press posturings and superbike team rumors. Owners need spare parts small and large NOW to get their expensive motorcycles back on the road where they can enjoy the Aprilia Riding Experience! You know my love of these bikes is beyond question, but even so, how could anyone recommend one to a friend when the failure or breakage of some two-bit part could sideline it for who knows how long?

Owner loyalty is a form of "overdraft protection" while their new staff gets up to speed but they'd be fools to think they can float on our good will indefinitely.

team222
12-05-2005, 09:46 AM
It's just this simple- If a Dealer does not feel confident in HIS ABILITY to sell 25 units in 365 days, than he should not be a Dealer.
If your buddy WANTS to be a successful Aprilia dealer but does not know HOW to go about it, I am willing to come to PA and train his sales staff TO SELL and help him with his marketing plan for 10 days a month for 3 months. I would charge $20,000 for this.

It's realllllly not all that simple ....except to you!!!

Maybe 25 bikes or say $250,000 is not a big investment for most dealers, but that is not the point. The real point is not just the money, but Piaggio demanding an order like this from dealers that have little or no confidence in Piaggio/Aprilia after Aprilia Bankrupcy, the purchase by Piaggio, or being able to get parts not hearing from anyone on a plan in over two years....and the first communication is an order for $250,000.

For all of you that think a demand for a $250,000 order under these circumstances is no problem our dealer would like you to consider fronting the flooring plan and they will pay you 3% add on for the interest. Any takers?

>>>>

I got some news for Piaggio and a few of you on this line, there are few dealers that really need Aprilia to succeed nor will put up with all this mismanagement and Musolini arrogance since most have other established brands that sell and they dont have these issues.

As far as Piaggio culling out Aprilia dealers as part of their new and innovative plans for the future.......thats a laugh since the opposite is what is really happening in that 25% of all the Aprilia dealers in the USA during the last two years have kicked/culled Aprilia out due to lack of confidence and the problems mentioned above.

I guess my point is a better approach for Piaggio might have been to tell existing dealers in the last two years many mistakes were made and present a plan with dates for the first time so dealers and customers know for the first time what is going on and what will be going on and when.

Secondly, the only question I would ask dealers is how many bikes they want to sign up for in 2006 under a new flooring no interest program with full return rights at the end of the year for all unsold bikes................now that is how you reestablish a new positive relationship with dealers vs demanding an order for 25 bikes the first time they hear from you in the last two years.

Dealers and customers ability to withstand/put up with a manufacturers distribution, marketing, dealer and customer relations incompetence is directly related to how their unique and superior their product is perceived................and in my view ......Aprilia is not that frigggen unique or superior and frankly that Piaggio/Aprilia matters like this continue to be an ongoing part of our lives is unforgivable.

>>>>

Related to your comment "If your buddy WANTS to be a successful Aprilia dealer but does not know HOW to go about it, I am willing to come to PA and train his sales staff TO SELL and help him with his marketing plan for 10 days a month for 3 months. I would charge $20,000 for this."

All of us and my dealer have heard enough of this ongoing Musolini arrogance and bs from Aprilia/Piaggio over the years to know that hiring a consultant with the same perspective is certainly not the answer.

You wanna make millions being a consultant then send a proposal to Piaggio on the need to establish some form of dealer and customer confidence by issuing a plan on fixing issues with due dates as a start and follow this up with real reps visiting the remaining dealers and reviewing this plan and going over new models face to face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dealers sells 600 bikes a year....but maybe they do need your or anyone elses help in selling bikes a manfacturer that has went bankrupt, and that they have not been able to get parts from or even heard from or seen a plan for in over two years ...might just have their salespeople needing a new approach on selling this companies bikes!!!

On second thought though maybe you should go to work for Piaggio/Aprilia as I suggested in my last post.........you would fit right in.

Mike

team222
12-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Clarkie, if anyone in an official corporate capacity is angered by what they've read here then good! May that powerfully motivate them to prove us wrong.

What those people should take from this thread is Aprilia's situation over here cannot be solved with press posturings and superbike team rumors. Owners need spare parts small and large NOW to get their expensive motorcycles back on the road where they can enjoy the Aprilia Riding Experience! You know my love of these bikes is beyond question, but even so, how could anyone recommend one to a friend when the failure or breakage of some two-bit part could sideline it for who knows how long?

Owner loyalty is a form of "overdraft protection" while their new staff gets up to speed but they'd be fools to think they can float on our good will indefinitely.

RickyJ

Amen ....and thanks for saying what I would like to, but do not have the ability or talent.

We really all want the same thing on this line and that is to share Aprilia rider experiences alot more and the burden of ownership not related to riding alot less.

Mike

Bill in OKC
12-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey - there is a silver lining to this cloud... I bought my bike because it was different. If it takes a little pain to own one of these bikes - then all the better in my book. We had a club meeting yesterday - only 5 bikes showed up and 30 or so drove their cars. Of course there was a 3 year old yellow Aprilia there and it got a lot of respect. It started right up in sub-freezing temps (*thank the man upstairs*)

team222
12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey - there is a silver lining to this cloud... I bought my bike because it was different. If it takes a little pain to own one of these bikes - then all the better in my book. We had a club meeting yesterday - only 5 bikes showed up and 30 or so drove their cars. Of course there was a 3 year old yellow Aprilia there and it got a lot of respect. It started right up in sub-freezing temps (*thank the man upstairs*)

Hi Bill
Thanks for your post. I hope we all agree if only someway, somehow Piaggio/Aprilia would cut the pain of ownership directly related to them .........then I think owners will all be happier and get back on board.

I own a CBX that I put lots of miles on....it is realllllllllly different and there has been no pain in owning it directly related to the manufacturer or dealers in 26 years.

No one is expecting Piaggio to get Aprilia to the levels Toyota has in a couple of years, but an acknowledgement there are problems and their summary plan to solve them over time would be a great start.

I have owned 40 bikes over the years and like my Aprilia the best...........that is not a bad position for a company that wants to start improving things with customers and dealers.

Mke

vsgofast
12-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I think Piaggio/Aprilia was hoping we would be distracted by the Babe of the Day thread that we wouldn't notice the spare part problem for another couple of months!! :cathat:

Brenda H.
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I think Piaggio/Aprilia was hoping we would be distracted by the Babe of the Day thread that we wouldn't notice the spare part problem for another couple of months!! :cathat:

AMEN!! From what little I understand, there are no definite dates for ANYTHING!! This is fast becoming SNAFU [and for this I prefer the more obscene version of that anagram]. Piaggio is not scoring any brownie points with me over their handling of this situation. I've NEVER heard of a corporate changeover that created a complete shutdown of supposedly available services with absolutely no mention of exactly when the services will resume. All I've heard was "after the first of the year". As for not noticing, well. . . I've been noticing this situation since the end of AUGUST when my personal screw up with Piaggio/Aprilia got started! :bangwall:

Personally, I'd prefer a "Biker of the Day " thread!! :lover:

I WANT MY BIKE BACK!!

Take Care,

Brenda H.
2003 Atlantic 500
2004 Rally 50

Ricky J
12-05-2005, 11:26 PM
We might consider a "Non-Running, Awaiting Parts, Bike of the Day" thread at some point.

vsgofast
12-05-2005, 11:48 PM
We might consider a "Non-Running, Awaiting Parts, Bike of the Day" thread at some point.

dbl_aitch
12-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Sadly it might pass the BOTD thread for posts and views.

Wake up, Piaggio...

pbigoney
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
DAMN,this is depressing, doom and gloom
Just received the latest issue of Cycle World
Add for MV Agusta
Article on Moto Guzzi Griso, add for MG Grisso (whole page) and another for Breva (whole page) and inside rear cover add for Piaggio scooter.
I guess Piaggio future sees Moto Guzzi and scooters as the future.
The action speaks loudly.

2cats
12-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Just think how good you'll all feel if something good ever happens.

vsgofast
12-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Hello Piaggio? Please give us some good news!!

kzmille
12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
And it's increasingly starting to look like Motobritalia is going away, that means, no viable dealer in GA, so what the hell do I do with a 10k bookend that has mechanical problems?
I spoke with Motobritalia today. They are going through a change of ownership. The new owners are aprilia enthusiasts and they are definitely keeping the brand. From what I was told today it seems like there will be no parts till early to mid January.

JoeKher
12-07-2005, 08:19 AM
DAMN,this is depressing, doom and gloom
Just received the latest issue of Cycle World
Add for MV Agusta
Article on Moto Guzzi Griso, add for MG Grisso (whole page) and another for Breva (whole page) and inside rear cover add for Piaggio scooter.
I guess Piaggio future sees Moto Guzzi and scooters as the future.
The action speaks loudly.Piaggio is very proud of Moto Guzzi but those bikes have been "in development" for 3+ years so they are truely new product. I think it will be '07-'08 when we see shinny NEW product from Aprilia. I have faith. Things will get better for the brand. Aprilia had really stopped development of new product (except the sxv/rxv) and now Piaggio will have to start from scratch to develop exciting new stuff. A new sport tourer, adventure tourer, sportbikes and nakeds. It will come in time.

olie
12-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Joekher, thanks for your positive messge.

I guess this is the winter. What we all need is good weather to ride the bikes and forget all about this BS. Unless your bike has a problem... mine doesn't.
Let's ride and waiting for a much better 06!!! :peace: :peace:

BTW, some people are pissed that Aprilia did not show a new Capo or Futura. Reality is that the showed both a new 06 Tuono and a new 06 RSV, not to talk about the small V2 offroad stuff.
We will be next!!!

Time to move on and think positive!!!!! :peace: :peace:

team222
12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Piaggio is very proud of Moto Guzzi but those bikes have been "in development" for 3+ years so they are truely new product. I think it will be '07-'08 when we see shinny NEW product from Aprilia. I have faith. Things will get better for the brand. Aprilia had really stopped development of new product (except the sxv/rxv) and now Piaggio will have to start from scratch to develop exciting new stuff. A new sport tourer, adventure tourer, sportbikes and nakeds. It will come in time.

Agree.......no one has ever doubted Aprilias ability to come up with new and exciting products.

Missing is the Piaggio business plan that would include acknowledgement of current problems and how/when these are going to be fixed.

The product plan and business plan forms total coverage of the Aprilia future and this information can be distriubuted to dealers, owners, potential owners and motorcycling in general and we can all concentrate on the positive aspects of being involved with Aprilia until it becomes obvious most or none of the business plan is working.

I for one don't really care how long it takes...just as long as there is a plan and progress is being made

Mike

Brenda H.
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Let's ride and waiting for a much better 06!!! :peace: :peace:

I'd settle for just having something to ride!! Even my Rally is down at the moment!! :crybaby:

Take Care,

Brenda H.
2003 Atlantic 500
2004 Rally 50

vsgofast
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks to the guys at AFI I'll be back on the road hopefully sooner than later!

Italiaphile
12-07-2005, 03:00 PM
In the interim between developing new models, how hard would it have been to introduce the Rally Raid to U.S. shores? Considering the popularity of the KTM 950 and the BMW GS it seems to me that the Raid would do well here. I know I'd be in line for one, even in the current color scheme.

aceyx
12-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Ed - did you guys get to meet a kid named Cody Kissell at the meeting? I just talked to him, he said they're picking up the marque this year as well.

team222; Running a business is a risk. If Piaggio requires a dealer to buy 25/year, and that's not a risk your dealer is willing to make, he shouldn't make it.

Is it a poor move? I argue no, since if that's the requirement, it puts the bikes in the hands of dealers who are true enthusiasts, not just those trying to sell whatever they can sell. These, as I understand, are the better dealers.

Overall availability might be increased, but do you really want to go somewhere you know more than the sales staff? I hate going to chain electronic stores for that exact reason.

My friend that just picked up the brand is located in central PA (State College). I'd be happy to have him get in touch with you.

RE: RickyJ's comment #225, I wholeheartedly agree. Who hasn't been asked about their bike while out riding? That's the best marketing right there . . . instill a lust, and fulfill it with a capable machine. But like everyone has already stated, it can't be a nightmare to own. People will find out about this.

RE: Marketing in the US.
SVX/RXV - reminds me of the marketing style surrounding the XBOX360.
Step 1: Build one hell of a machine. Garner loyalty.
Step 2: One-up that with the new hotness.
Step 3: Talk a lot, long beforehand.
Step 4: Build slowly, so that it appears rare.
Step 5: Rarity will make people talk, increasing desire.
Step 6: Desire makes people do funny things like camp out, and pay way over cost.
Probably not as intentional, but it carries the possibility of the same result.

Aprilia brand in general - Do you really want them advertising a product they can't adequately support at the moment? Given the concerns voiced so far, that would be moronic. Let 'em get their stuff together and then we'll see how much they bump it up. From what I hear, Piaggio is dumping quite a bit of money into both MG and Aprilia.

Right now, everything is conjecture. Since we can only hope that Marketing pays attention to this forum, I think that constructive comments would be best. Obviously, parts and such, but maybe marketing ideas etc.

To be honest, and although justified, the bitching kind of wears me out.

EDIT: readability.

kiwifalco
12-12-2005, 05:47 AM

This sucks!!
....sorry, not trying to be an asshole...........
:):
:cheers: