PDA

View Full Version : New here, about to buy a Mille!

Gigantic
11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi all, i'm new here & i've got the opportunity to buy an '02 standard mille from an aquaintance. here's the info on it:
"It's a 2002 standard Mille, non-R. Pretty much bone stock. 18,000some miles. Probably about 90% of that on the track. It was a corporate demo bike that I bought directly from Aprilia (with 6,000some miles on it) after Josh Norem, who worked for Motorcyclist at the time, lowsided it during a Maxxis tire test at Road Atlanta. (I actually have a video of coverage on SPEED where they show it in a trailer.) The damage was mostly cosmetic, except for a clip-on, brake lever, & muffler, all of which were replaced. I replaced some of the damaged body panels and some decals. There is still some slight scarfing on the front fairing. It's no show bike, but it's a ball to ride! I've turned 28s on it at Grattan. I've never really crashed it, not counting falling over in the sand trap outside of Turn 3 at GingerMan after one of your fellow BMW riders lowsided right in front of me. the dealer had it to check for an oil leak, which just turned out to be the O-ring on the oil filter cover. While it was there, they checked the valves (which were all in spec), synched the throttle bodies, & changed the spark plugs (which looked remarkably good). Not sure what it's worth. Hard to find anything to compare it too. Did Jeff give you any idea? It's currently stripped of bodywork, since I cleaned it before I took it to Eurocycles to help them find any leaks. It also currently has some instrument panel issues, but Jeff had a couple at the shop that might be available to help resolve that problem. Once I get that taken care of, I'll put the bodywork back on, & you can check it out if you'd like."
my question is with 18k track miles on the thing, what should i offer for it? should i offer anything at all?
thanks,
G

ckruzel
11-08-2005, 04:37 PM
well a year ago i traded my standard 2001 mille in for my 04, so 01 last year, this year 02 would be about the same, i had 13,000 miles on it, showroom condition, never dropped, cleaned before and after every ride, aprilia performance exhaust and eprom, and a high flow evo air filter carbon hugger, and front air deflectors, i got 5200.00 on trade, retail would have been more, but the bike your looking at has been down, and has more milage, i don't really know what to tell you as far as a figure, but maybe the above info might help you work out a price

Gigantic
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
ah... but this is nowhere near showroom condition. and 18,000 miles on the track. from my experience, putting 2,000+ Track miles on myBMW R1100S last season, 1 track mile seems equivalent to about 10 on the street. my beemer is pretty well shagged and this bike has 9 times as many miles on the track. so how much would that kind of mileage depreciate it?
cheers,
G

pizzadude
11-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, I'm not a Aprilia owner, but pretty familiar in two-wheeler land...

What can you afford? If it were me, I'd probably offer him 2 grand. Maybe up to 2500...but if you have to put some money into it, stick with the 2 grand. Sounds road worthy...

Okay, just re-read his description...no more than 2.

zvez
11-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Personally,
18k miles 90% track, I'd pass on that bike. Go get a low mileage streetbike for maybe 5500.

No way I'd buy a bike at any price that had that much track mileage ridden by people of all (or no) skill levels. So you get the bike for 2k, wouldn't take long to get up to the 5k price with engine/gearbox probs.
Chris

Gigantic
11-08-2005, 07:50 PM
well the guy's a track instructor. he's a pretty accomplished rider. this would be for use as a track bike only, if i were to get it...

LostinBoston
11-08-2005, 11:29 PM
If its going to be a track only bike, and you plan on modding it, this is probably a great bike to start with. If it has been taken care of, then engine shoudl still be in pretty good condition. 2 would be a steal for this bike. I would think mid threes woudl also be a great deal for an 02, i know i woudnt let it go for that little if it were mine.

clarkie49
11-09-2005, 08:24 AM
i would buy that bike, to be honest most track bikes are looked after a hell of a lot better than most street bikes, sure they fall down now and again but they are stripped down, checked, and repaired with more care than a street bike

just my 2c :)

hank
11-09-2005, 09:53 AM
i would buy that bike, to be honest most track bikes are looked after a hell of a lot better than most street bikes, sure they fall down now and again but they are stripped down, checked, and repaired with more care than a street bike

just my 2c :)

:plus: Besides having Clarkie state this :worship: I would also agree that track miles are actually easier than street miles. Sitting in traffic is far worse on the engine than running around a track. The v990 engine is over-built so it can easily handle track work for many, many miles.

I would, however, be suspect of a well-used I4 that has been wrung-out it entire life. They aren't designed for lots of miles and the frames are so damn thin that one good crash & they're done.

Appaul
11-09-2005, 09:45 PM
I just purchased a 2001 Mille non r (blue) from a friend for 5,500 $ ,the bike has 4,300 original miles never been raced (weekend rides only) . In my opinion it is possible to find a good Aprilia for a deal!! Do not rush ! You can get a leftover 2003 r for 10 gs and also I know of an Sp brand new in the showroom 0 Miles for a decent price !

Gigantic
11-10-2005, 06:18 PM
on the high side of the prices that have been recommended for the aforementioned Mille @ $5850
http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/5b/7c/e8_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4587074814&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
the bike is totally set-up for the track, with everything i could possibly want to add.
Akropovic Dual Full Ti-System & Eprom chip
Ohlins Front & Rear + Steering Damper
OZ Wheels
Sharkskinz Race Bodywork Set
Evoluzione Velocity Stacks & Oversize Airbox Race Upgrade Kit
Rubber Airbox Inlet Derestricted kit
Woodcraft Racing Clip-Ons & Rear Sets
Intuitive Racing Framesliders
Rear Axle Sliders
AFAM 520 Conversion Kit with Sprockets and a Chain
Double Bubble Race Windscreen
BrakeTech USA Axis Full Floating Front Rotors-Stainless Steel
New Metzler Racetech DOT race tires
All stock bodywork and extra set of Multitech race bodywork included and
all original parts included.

at the other end of the spectrum:
http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/5b/35/18_1.JPG
crashed & trashed standard mille, $2,475.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4587418924&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

the bike i'm looking at fits somewhere in between. nowhere near as clean as the first picture, but not even close to being as shagged as #2. so I'm thinking $3500, tops. sound about right? Thanks everyone who's contributed. I'll post up if i go for it.
cheers,
Lance