PDA

View Full Version : Thunderhill and Kiegwins school

Old Wanderer
10-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Boy I don't know how you could have anymore fun and keep your cloths on :lover:

Started Keigwins school Monday (10/24) morning to bright clear sky, and temp in the 70's. My 1st time at Thunderhill, so the sighing laps were really necessary. We used the entire course (15 turns).

For those of you that have not been, it is a super track, with a lot of variation including several blind coners, elevation changes, good banking/reverse banking...slow to screaming fast turns ( I know I was in the dirt 5 times in 2 days once at 100+ MPH) (Man got to know his limits, but I never went down).
There was only 2 groups and each group went out for 45 minutes. None of this "everybody follow me and do this, stuff". There were about 30 in each of the groupa and 10 instructors on the track. If they saw you needed some help they would pull in front and demonstrate for a lap or 2 then follow you a few laps then hot pit and discuss it.

I started with a 1 on 1 at 10:45 AM the 1st day, really learned a lot (although not all if sunk in right then).

They had a Micron beacon so if you had either an Ultralap or Micron timer on you bike they worked great). (I have a Ultralap).

Mid day was in the low 80's and we would go to a classroom for 30 minutes of school and discussion between lap sessions. each lesson was different Lines, Passing. Braking/Shifting...etc.

Super good lunches(included in the price, free beer and pizza at 5:00 PM after the 1st day.

Dave from Catalyist Reaction was there to do bike set-up (for free, included in the price of the school). He checked my CBR asked a few questions about how I ride tweaked the front forks, and backed off the rear shock spring. I picked up 4 seconds a lap....The guy just knows his stuff. He also races a Daytona.

2nd morning, was a bit cool (60's), and I put on the tire warmers. Tagged on behind an instructor, and as soon as he saw me following, just increased the pace till I was starting to fall back, and held it there for a few laps...really refined my lines.

Just before noon I worked with my instructor from the day before in the pits on my body position, and then we had a 2:45 session....He told me I was the most awsome dirt rider he had ever seen, as I never fell in the 5 excersions, but then he told me my lines were almost perfect, body could move off a bit more, but the last 3 laps were excelent....(of course I was not trying to enter turn 8 and 115 MPH any more...it was really rough off that side of the track, thank God for 20 years of desert riding and never knowing what was next).

Then there was the last 30 minute session, about 1/2 the people had packed up, no insturctors on the track, it was a time to see what your best could be....I waited for about 15 minutes and then went out, almost an empty track, proceeded to cut 4 laps that were my all time personal best and the 2 fastest were exactly equal to within .00 seconds....The other 2 laps were less than a second from my 2 personal best laps....I took my lap timer and had a few beers that everning looking at those times.....Content!

Next time (now that I know the track) I will have thought about all the places to pick up time, and really want to improve it by 5 seconds a lap....

Wed. was an open track day, and it was starting to drizzle, my thighs were pretty sore, so I just headed home a very content guy.

The track is great, (and while I have not ridden motorcycles at a lot of the tracks, I raced other things a Riverside, Ontario Int. Laguna,..etc) it has everything you could ask a track to provide except 150MPH straights. (And as I like to find out where the outside of the envelope is, that is a good thing).

The school is a facilitator, anything you want to learn is available, (unless it is being squiddy). Don't worry abut the level of the school too much, as you will not be held back. We had some people that never moved off the center of their bikes, (Great for passing practice) and others were knee down and hauling ass....(Fun to catch them if you could).

Since it was a school and I wanted to learn as much as possible, I rode my CBR 600 F4 track bike, while my Falco sat forlornly by my trailer. The person next to me in the pits was from Portland, OR and was riding his RSV-R.
The first picture has me setting up for an off camber right turn with the instructor following in my wheel tracks.
I had just figured out how to dive over this blind hill and into 5A to pick up some time when the second picture was taken. You can see the elevation changes behind me.

lawman800
10-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Sounds like a great time, where the heck is it?

evander13
10-27-2005, 10:21 AM
About an hour north of Sac. on I5. Keigwin is there again, Nov 12 and 13. Just happens to be a weekend too

Eugene 2001 RSV

Jet City Racer
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
So did you want to take a nap after lunch? :D Hands down, Lance hosts the best trackside lunches anywhere. Lasagne, baked chicken, salad, etc.... :plus:

Old Wanderer
10-27-2005, 05:09 PM
So did you want to take a nap after lunch? :D Hands down, Lance hosts the best trackside lunches anywhere. Lasagne, baked chicken, salad, etc.... :plus:

Stuffed pork chops, potatoe salad, garlic bread.....Sure did keep the energy level up....The Monday night beer/pizza was a great time to talk about some of the more intresting laps you turned that day.... :bs:

I cannot think of a better way to spend a few hundred dollars....Anybody that likes to ride a bike to a higher level, this is definately the place to go... :cheers:

I'll be back///// :bond:

Beau1K
11-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Sounds like fun!!! All you guys have track bikes huh? Gotta get me one of those...maybe a used Mille is in my future...or a GSXR perhaps...although I do really like the looks of the R1

lawman800
11-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Sure is a necessity to have a track dedicated bike because I sure don't want to take my MilleR to the track. I'm just too lazy to take off the mirrors, tape everything and then put it all back afterwards. I'm selling my GSXR600 though since I got my Gix1k.

Going to Streets on Nov. 10 with CLASS and then Nov. 26 at Fontana with Fast Track, anyone else from here going?

lawman800
11-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Old Wanderer, how was Pahrump? Sorry I couldn't join ya.

Old Wanderer
11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Old Wanderer, how was Pahrump? Sorry I couldn't join ya.

Hi Lawman800,

Well Parump had some really nice people running the track. Had dinner Sat night with Todd and his crew plus some other people...

The track was different, with 3 long turns, and I got about a dozen laps in before someone squeezed by my left side between turn 9 and 10, then slowed and made a sharp right just in front of me as I was setting up for the turn. Tried to flick the bike a bit sharper, but hit the ground....

Got some damaged body work....easy to fix, busted front brake lever, and right slider gone...and a broken collar bone. I'll be back and running in 6 to 8 weeks..

Booger Red
11-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Lawman800,

Well Parump had some really nice people running the track. Had dinner Sat night with Todd and his crew plus some other people...

The track was different, with 3 long turns, and I got about a dozen laps in before someone squeezed by my left side between turn 9 and 10, then slowed and made a sharp right just in front of me as I was setting up for the turn. Tried to flick the bike a bit sharper, but hit the ground....

Got some damaged body work....easy to fix, busted front brake lever, and right slider gone...and a broken collar bone. I'll be back and running in 6 to 8 weeks..

OW!! Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to meeting up soon. Glad you weren't hurt any worse. I'm sure being beat up and sore from a crash will just add tons of enjoyment to your flight back east. :rolleyes: Time to break out the pain killers.

lawman800
11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
That's really too bad.... glad it wasn't worse though. Did they kick that guy off the track for being a butthead?

day004
11-05-2005, 09:45 PM
proceeded to cut 4 laps that were my all time personal best and the 2 fastest were exactly equal to within .00 seconds....The other 2 laps were less than a second from my 2 personal best

So what were your lap times???
T-hill is my stomping ground track(even though I live 20 minutes from Infinion). I set my best lap last time out . a 2:05:99...
I had my sights set for a 2:05 for a goal this year and just made it.

Went of track the very next lap. Spun up the rear coming out of 6 and when it settled down I was headed for the tall grass. So much run off there's no need to get too worried so I rode it out.