PDA

View Full Version : Alum Bags

pistonslap
07-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Is anyone out there in Capoland using the alum boxes from touratech?
I wanted to order a set but was told they are backorderd and probably want get any until late August or September. Don't know if I want to wait that long.

Thanks, Pistonslap

Unangan
08-04-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey, I just ordered my 41Lx2 cases from Cycoactiv out of Seattle, they should be here on Tues. the 5th. I will let you know what I think. I just hope the directions aren't in german like they were with the Xenon aux headlight I got (bright as heck btw).

pistonslap
08-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks and please let me know how you like your bags. I'll probably go with the 35 L bags instead of the 41. I have a friend who has the 41's on a tiger and they really stick out. Afraid I'd be buying a new paint job for some old lady's Buick.

Later, Pistonslap

Unangan
09-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey, sorry this report on the panniers took so long, I was away from any computer access for the last few weeks. The 41L touratech panniers are huge! The DIY installation was idiot-resistant. It only took me about an hour to do. It may have taken me longer had I used the Locktite I had on hand, but I didn't feel that I had to since the nuts included were all nylocks. after all was said n done, I had a securely mounted abundance of room. enough room to fit my 2-person tent, sl bag, hatchet, clothes, bathroom bag, extra camera lenses, sneakers, and other misc items inside of them. The tie down loops on top also came in very handy. Unfortunately, there was blue skies the entire way through Canada and Washington, so I can't tell you how they perform in a downpour. I can tell you that they look like they would do very well due to the O-ring recessed into the removable lid. the "locking" mechanisms snug the lids on tightly and I have yet to notice any loosening of the mounts due to engine or otherwise. If I feel there is something crappy you guys should know about these large, light, and user friendly pans; I certainly will do just so. Keep the shiny sides up.

Francois
09-03-2003, 02:07 AM
I am now at the stage of investigating side bags. Looking at the Aprilia bags, Givi 42L and the aluminium bags.
Do you perhaps have a photo’s of you Capo with the bags on and also with the bags of. Would like to see what the brackets look like.

Regards
Franois

dave
09-03-2003, 07:34 AM
My wife and I have had our aprilia bags on in a heavy rain and they were good and water tight so far. they do apear to not quite pull completely shut with the locking mechanizm, but that so far has not affected their water resistance they are pretty to look at and quite functional in terms of removal and refit to the bike. The brackets are not unattractive, which is all good because I ordered them unseen, after falling in love with the capo when I went to buy a new R 1150 GS. My wife is very fussy about these things, we previously used an older set of 40 liter krausers from of on old suzuki GS and she said she would never part with them, but that was before when we were flogging around OZ on an old R 90/6 BM which we still keep for a laugh now and then. It was the "re-entry" machine some years back when freedom from kids came into reality, and so was our original "escape" machine, and holds many happy memories (and a few shitty ones) anyway the aprilia bags get her vote as being good.

jdm1intx
09-03-2003, 01:14 PM
I just got back from a labor-day weekend trip to New Mexico on my first trip with the Aprilia bags installed. They did quite well in the rain after I discovered that you have to kind of thump them shut to make sure the rubber gaskets seal up properly. The slight bit of leakage I encountered prior to that didn't really hurt anything.

The latches are also a bit tricky until you get used to them. All in all, the 'Priller bags are quite good but they're not what you could call "shut 'em and forget about 'em". You have to finesse them to get a good seal and a good latch.

Unangan
09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
OK, so I gave up a little fashion for function regarding the mounting brackets for the alum TT pans. Besides them being large shiny cubes protruding from the ass end of my bike; when they are not mounted, I am left with a rectangular bracket that measures about 9" by 11". Not exactly the prettiest of things. Don't get me wrong, ther're not hideous. If I squint at them with one eye closed, the brackets kinda look like crash bars for my exhaust. Another qualm is that the top crossmember of the system prevented me from installing the GIVI topcase that I had planned to get. I cannot however show you what they look like 'cause I am in the arctic, the capo is in WA, and I have neither a digital camera or a scanner. But, perhaps if you go to the TT site they will have a picture of the parts under their heading for "Luggage Systems". I don't recall if I saw them there or not when I was looking for the locks you have to buy seperately. On Another note, they seem considerably lighter than the Jesse bags I had ordered for the 1150GS.

Problem0
09-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Another manufacturer to consider is Hepco & Becker. They do a couple of Alum. bags, or plastic, you can either have side pannier mountings or top rack , or both. They are rather cheaper than Touratech, but have a 'Quick Detachable' system. I am ordering the Aluminium Panniers plus frames now, and the UK distributor tells me he can get them in about two weeks.