PDA

View Full Version : Why a Aprilia Tuono and not a FZ1?

helmethair
10-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm new to this Forum and new to the idea of owning a Naked Bike. I currently have a 2003 BMW K1200 GT and a 2004 R1. I'll soon be replacing the R1 with either a 06 Tuono or a 06 FZ1. I'm already sold on the Tuono in spite of the additional $3K cost for the following reasons. Components are of higher quality, over all styling with more complex shapes, and the torque, sound and power band of a V-Twin.
Even though I believe the new 06 FZ1 with the current generation R1 engine (150 crankshaft hp) will be a powerfully smooth bike, next to the Tuono, it simply lacks the ďblingĒ that Italian motorcycles have. Hp numbers are no longer a priority nor an issue having had a 400 lb. 180hp Superstock. So the difference in hp numbers between the Tuono and FZ1 are negligible. Iím after a bike with more street savvy for general riding pleasure with a sporty charter as opposed to a purposeful track bike.
Since I have never owned a Tuono or even an Aprilia, tell me why you decided the Tuono was your bike of choice and specifically why you chose it over any other Naked Bike.

hank
10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
You may want to move your post to the Tuono section of the forum....

helmethair
10-25-2005, 02:31 PM
I appreciate the enlightening input hank! Since you took the time to reply, I was hoping you might have some input to the question. Besides I was under the impression the Tuono was a product of Aprilia and this was a product question directed toward a general Aprilia audience in a product forum. No need for the door slam!
If any of the moderators wish to move this to another location, I have no problem with that. Iím merely seeking some opinions from the huge wealth of Aprilia knowledge here on this forum, having never owned an Aprilia product.
Thanks for pointing out my error in spite of the other Tuono threads below mine and for the warm welcome too.

mikeyyc
10-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I think that you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to choosing any Aprilia. I feel certain that all Aprilia owners have that need for some cachet when it comes to our bikes.

There's lots out there that make bigger numbers, etc etc, but there is something really nice about riding something that is rare. Every time you see another Aprilia, it's a special event, and the envy/curiousity/jealousy of other riders always seems to bring a smile to my face.

I haven't ridden the Tuono, but if I were in the market for a naked bike, it would be on the top of my list.

Not that hank was being intentionally rude, but for further insight specific to the Tuono, there is a section specifically for that bike. I think your post is fine here. Welcome to the board.

Mike

lepeeps
10-25-2005, 02:42 PM
pretty much for the reasons you mentioned. I have always wanted an italian and orginally wanted a Monster but I think they are dated and so ubiquitous. The tuono is rare and even here in San Francisco I maybe see another one every other month while you can't go 2 blocks without seeing a Monster. THe only other bike I considered was the new Speed Triple. Lots of fun but it just didn't do it for me.

My previous bike was a Suzuki SV, so I also wanted a twin. Have you ridden a twin before? I always say that I'll never go back to an inline after all teh fun I have on the twin. For the street it is all I need. I don't need the crazy top end of an inline. Also they just are more fun and have more character.

The FZ-1 especially the new one looks great and has a serious pedigree but to me it is just another UJM.

So far after 6 mos. of ownership it has been great. My only problems are things I caused. Crash at the track and a blown starter relay.

It is a fun bike that is also confidence inspiring.

good luck...

dbl_aitch
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I really wanted an FZ1. I rode one and was underwhelmed. It was fast enough, comfortable enough, handled well, had good brakes. It was buzzy like some four cylinder bikes can be. It just didn't "grab" me. I was disappointed... Then I rode the Tuono. It was like chalk and cheese as our Brit friends would say. I put a deposit on one the day I took the test drive.

Although it isn't as fast as the FZ1, it feels faster and sounds better doing it. I've done 400 mile days on it and could have done more. It's handling is amazing. The brakes are incredible. It vibrates some in some rpm ranges, but it's a deeper, less intrusive vibration and not as bothersome and annoying. To me the Tuono is the essence of motorcycles and motorcycling.

However...

The parts situation is ludricous. I've been waiting for months for simple parts and am getting nowhere. My dealer is pissed and some dealers are dropping the marque because of it. I think the bike if fundamentally sound and you may not need parts unless you crash like I did. But it's just plain idiotic for Aprilia/Piaggio to have such a poor parts system

hank
10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I appreciate the enlightening input hank!

Dude - relax.... :rolleyes: Clearly I should have added a few ;) ;) so that you weren't offended. I apologize if the tone of my typing wasn't soft & fuzzy enough.... Damn - eat some chocolate, take a Midol, or buy some new shoes :p: :p: :p: :whiner: :happy:

I meant no offense and I was actually attempting to HELP YOU by letting you know that there is a specific section for Tuono-related threads. Many people purposly avoid the non-bike specific threads due to a high number of non-bike related posts so I was directing you to a better place. If you interpretted that as terse, well, perhaps you should have spent a few minutes looking over the entire forum and even lurk a bit in the different sections to get a feel for the place. There may be threads that might give you some info on the question you are asking. :cool:

tell me why you decided the Tuono was your bike of choice and specifically why you chose it over any other Naked Bike.

And sorry that I didn't provide any input to your question, I don't own a Tuono but maybe you'll let me ride yours.. :cathat:

We're all nice people and for the most part get along very well (however, you may want to do some prep work before you post anything to the Biker Bar section).... :peace:

lepeeps
10-25-2005, 03:49 PM
However...

The parts situation is ludricous. I've been waiting for months for simple parts and am getting nowhere. My dealer is pissed and some dealers are dropping the marque because of it. I think the bike if fundamentally sound and you may not need parts unless you crash like I did. But it's just plain idiotic for Aprilia/Piaggio to have such a poor parts system

I guess I have been lucky. When I crashed my tuono I went to scuderia west here in SF. They had some of the parts I needed in stock but several had to be ordered. They said 5 business days and sure enough 5 days later they arrived.

Same goes with the starter relay. 5 days was all it took.

I was told at the time, April of this year, that Aprilia was revamping the computer software that dealt with parts ordering and apparently was the cause for all of their problems.

Infallible
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
An Aprilia grabs you and garners your love and affection like very few motorcycles can do. It may not be the fastest or most comfortable or most efficient (although Aprilias do quite well in all those aspects) but it is the soul of the motorcycle that commands your attention and respect. Its not a Harley Davidson paint shaker, its not a maintenance whore Desmo, and its deffinately not a sewing machine I-4 Japanese bike.....its better. All the reliability and character without the maintenance nightmares. I don't know how else to describe it. The only thing you can do is try and coax a ride out of someone you know who has one.

Once you have one, then you'll know.

PS Try not to crash it, as its been mentioned getting parts depending upon where you're at can be an absolute nightmare. Luckily there are always those that do crash their bikes and part them out here, as well as the great guys at AF1 who seem to be able to get what you need when you need.

rainh8r
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
The chassis on my Tuono is the best I've ridden over a long period. It gets better as you get faster, yet doesn't care if you are just riding to work. The engine is as reliable as any Japanese bike and it feels lighter and more responsive. Yes, it doesn't have 150hp. It does have enough to run 155mph stock and high10's in the 1/4 if you want numbers. If you were looking for top speed or 1/4 mile times, you wouldn't be looking at this bike anyway. It will make you feel like a hero every time you ride it. The only downside I've found (at 6"2"' and short legs) is the wind protection on the freeway. We all pour over numbers when looking for something new, so just take your top picks and go ride them. Buy what fits and works for you, but the Tuono is my choice.

keithroxx
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Let me ask you this....if money was not an issue, would you choose a V6 Camry over a BMW 5 series?

helmethair
10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies and hank, honestly your point is well advised. Iíve since checked out the Tuono place. I should have been less model specific because I was wanting to reach out to as broad a group as possible for opinions about Aprilia motorcycles in general.
I have to say the uniqueness and styling has a hold on me!
Thanks to all! :)

Jet City Racer
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I have ridden both and hands down the Tuono is loads more fun. I've never seen any need for a 1000 cc 4 cylinder engine on the street, as by the time you get into the powerband on one you're already over the speed limit. The Tuono is much more responsive, handles better and is every bit as reliable as any Japanese bike. Plus it will make you smile every time you look at it, let alone ride it. :plus:

Go see the guys at Moto International, they'll take great care of you.

helmethair
10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Let me ask you this....if money was not an issue, would you choose a V6 Camry over a BMW 5 series?

Funny you say that. I use that analogy all the time my self; thatís why I purchased the K12 G/T over the exceptionally acclaimed FJR with all it's due respect.

kingtut73
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
because regular people ride Yamahas :p:

agwop
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
The aprilia is a better bike all over. It's nice having spools, lap timer, steering damper, etc stock from the factory. The parts availability does suck however as I have been waiting a month for parts now and still have no expected date to have them in. Best time of the year for riding and I get to watch other people have fun. Four honda bikes before this spoiled me on needing a part and having it two days later. Don't own one aprilia as your only ride.

brif4i
10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
helmethair I see you are in seattle so go to moto international and see if you can test ride one, although it won't be an 06 model. they are pretty good about it if you are serious. As a new aprilia owner myself (04 rsvr) I must say it is nice to be on something different and you really start to notice how plain the japanese bikes are and how many of them are out there. For me it was about wanting something different from the pack. Also there is just something about the sound and feel of a twin that just gave me everything that I was missing from an inline 4. But be warned aprilias are pricey to fix and do have a few problems here and there but they are so worth it at the end of the day, well at least IMO they are.

btw are you the same helemethair that is on CF

mohawk
10-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm a former FZ1 owner (I totaled it in June).

You will likely find this link (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66555) helpfull. It has some thoughts, including my comparison, on the FZ and Tuono.

LostinBoston
10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
My friend had one when i bought my first bike. We swapped bikes occaisionally and thought the fz1 was awesome. then i got a tuono and hands down its kicks the fz1's ass. the handling, comfort, style, sound, everything. Its worth the extra $. And the twin kicks ass in low rev torque.

zvez
10-25-2005, 08:03 PM
helmet hair,
You could probably get a left over new 05 for 10k or so. Look in Cycletrader.

Couple there this week.

I've had a couple Milles and the Aprilia is a really well made bike, I'm just ths minute mulling over getting a Tuono.

Chris

Suprosonic
10-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Dude,

Get the Tuono... My Mille took a dive earlier this year and I went on the hunt to replace it. Zx-10, GSXR-1000, R-1 I gave the all a look. Those bikes lacked the inspiration. Yep they are fast and powerful but just no soul. I am fixing my Mille and have waited quite some time to get it back. Well worth the wait.

It will be worth the extra three grand to admire your bike in the garage.

evandewan
10-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Welcome to Aprilidom. I bought my first bike, as an adult, in April. It was an Aprilia Futura. I wanted something stylish, something different, and something I could afford. 10k miles later the Futura is gone and I'm in bike lust with a mille R. I have nothing to compare to, but the stlying is absolutly the best, I can (and have) ridden the mille ALL day. I'm 6'2" and 200 plus (a BIG plus) pounds. I never get tired of riding. The range of power keeps you from constantly shifting when you're stuck on the 405 or the 512. Seattle traffic sucks.
Please see Dave at Moto International, he'll spend the time with you that every customer deserves. OBTW, when you get that bike, let's carve up Bear Creek- Dewatto road on the peninsula!

lawman800
10-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Because nothing else in the world has a V60 Rotax! Any regular ole' bike can have a sterile I4. I owned a 2002 R1 and it was the most boring appliance I have ridden other than the fact that it was fast, there's nothing exciting about it in the sound or feel. I rev the bike and it's like revving up a sewing machine. Whhhrrrr.... whhhrrrrr.... Nothing like a V60 staccato rumble to stir the soul on a nice morning ride.

Tdawg
10-25-2005, 11:13 PM
definately contact Moto-I if your serious. I was there a few weeks ago
and the didn't have a Tuono, but I'm sure they can find one.

I was considering a FZ1 to but given a new model year prices will be firm. I
wasn't interested in the old FZ1.

After 1 hour on the RSVR I forgot about my old I4. Vtwins seem more logical for daily driving. Sure is nice not having to hold the engine at high revs incase of a needed escape.

helmethair
10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I really appreciate all the great input guys. I have to agree charm and character give the Tuono the edge over the FZ1 especially regarding uniqueness. The visual effect of a V-Twin is much more interesting to look at and the power delivery always seem to be more motorcycle like rather than car like. Though Iím not a big Harley fan, I can certainly relate to the visual attraction of the mechanics of the busy V-Twin engines.
A good example of what everyone here is talking about reminds me of a day when several of my buddies and I stopped at a local Harley Dealership while on a day ride; I wanted to visit a buddy who worked there. It was a Saturday, outside free hot dogs and burgers; you get the picture. All of our bikes were a cross section of nice Japanese litter bikes with the exception of two. Those two exceptions were a Ducati Monster and the sweetest custom 999 Iíve ever seen, with chrome swing-arm and polished billet bits. Oh we drew attention all right, but it was more the stink-eye scum bag look as we pulled in to the parking lot in a sea of Harleys and riders mulling around. The one exception to our unwelcomed perception was that given enough time for the Company Boys to settle down, several of them came over to check out the Ducatiís, especially the trick chromed out Duc 999! It was obvious they were intrigued with the V-Twin and the touch of Italian styling.
Itís all about The Ride and simply enjoying motorcycling, but you have to admit, itís nice to draw that kind of admired attention too!
The Seattle International Motorcycle Show is coming here in December, so Iím already counting the days. I need to park my ARSS on both bikes and check out the fit, but I already know which bike will be flashing its jugs at me!

vito
10-26-2005, 11:08 AM
a couple of comments about the tuono, which i love. :lover: although it's called a naked bike, the engine is pretty well concealed.
also, i have had mine for two years and have had virtually no trouble with it.

tagnahoor
11-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I had an SV650 before and hated it. It felt like it was always hunting for a line, even when going straight. Plus, there was significant corrosion on numerous fasteners and the bike was set-up horribly from the dealer (fork legs at unequal heights!)
My '04 Tuono, in Bleeding Eyeball Nuclear Hangover Red, was just two shades shy of perfect right out of the dealership. I've never been so happy on a bike and I've got almost 20 years and 12 bikes in moto history.
What I like most about the Tuono though is the handling. It just does everything well and doesn't misbehave. In town I feel like I'm on a giant dirtbike, which is pretty helpful in Boston's crazy traffic. On long rides, I'm sort of upright, but comfortable so. To go, whack open the throttle. To stop, two fingers has you doing stoppies.
Another thing I like about it is the attention to detail. Everything is beautiful on this bike. I would be happier if I had the same bike and I could actually see an engine in there somewhere, but hey, I can't see the engine from where I sit anyway.
Buy it!

Beau1K
11-04-2005, 08:03 PM
I appreciate the enlightening input hank! Since you took the time to reply, I was hoping you might have some input to the question. Besides I was under the impression the Tuono was a product of Aprilia and this was a product question directed toward a general Aprilia audience in a product forum. No need for the door slam!
If any of the moderators wish to move this to another location, I have no problem with that. Iím merely seeking some opinions from the huge wealth of Aprilia knowledge here on this forum, having never owned an Aprilia product.
Thanks for pointing out my error in spite of the other Tuono threads below mine and for the warm welcome too.

Fuckin' New Yorkers!!! :funnypost Don't you know...everybody takes everything serious around here!

2whlgeezer
11-04-2005, 09:45 PM
There's a lot to be said for riding a 'priller- most any flavor. The Rotax motor really is a gem. Fit and finish is great and quality components throughout. A few little bugs here and there, clutch slaves, warped rotors (grrr). But the parts/dealer situation is a game breaker for me. I never bought a bike for resale, heck they're toys after all, but used Aprilias bring back a small fraction of purchase price because the factory is blowing out can't sell left overs for huge discounts. If I could dump mine for any kind of decent money, it would be gone tomorrow. I will never own another, and no longer recommend one to my friends. Get the FZ or a Speed Triple- at least you won't be down for parts for a month or more.

vsgofast
11-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Got 45,000 plus miles on my Mille. I'd rather keep my Mille on the road then swap it for a Japanese bike. Yeah, the parts situation sucks. Let's just hope Aprilia/Piaggio get that worked out.

GeoR
11-05-2005, 11:21 AM
I rode a couple of R1s (03?) and the engine buzzed unpleasantly between 5-7k rpms (right in my cruising range). Don't think that would be a problem on back roads or track days but for hwy cruising that sucks.
The old FZ1 was a smooth, comfy bikes but it got really vague at speed. Even with lower bars, new springs etc it felt completly disconnected from the road.

I've never ridden a better, safer handling chassis than the Mille/Tuono -for me, that is I'm no Matt Mladin.

thackl
11-05-2005, 01:06 PM
One of my classmates has a nice FZ1. I seems like a good sport turing rig but is a bit frightening to handle in twisties. Whenever we swap bikes (I have a Falco), I immediately want mine back and he never wants to give it up.

helmethair
11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Well this past weekend I pulled my deposit on the 06 FZ1. I've decided to go head first without looking back for the new Tuono. I want something different from all my previous bikes and the Tuono is definitely a great looking bike. As for reliability Iím more comfortable now having had time to read all the replies and do my own research. Iím banking on the fact that Aprilia knows how important it is for them to improve their customer service and Iím fairly sure they have already made the changes as part of their restructuring because itís vital for their survival. As an independent solely owned company I think they needed the backing of a much larger enterprise similar to how Polaris has pulled Victory out of trouble and changed their entire operation into something more on a world class level of competition. Aprilia has had a very fine product all along, but it seems they just lacked the financing to support the customer side of their operation and that eventually causes a decrease in sales and self inflicted doom. One thingís for certain, their new financial backing is coming from a source that knows the motorcycle industry and has a lot of confidence in Apriliaís product. Small fish canít compete in a global market in todayís environment. Perhaps after nearly loosing the company it turns out to be the best thing that could have happened. From what I see in their R&R, they appear to be on top of the styling department as well as the changes regarding the electronics that seem to have been one of their problem areas. Time will tell but Iím willing to invest in their future.

MaSK
11-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Good for you! Are you getting the new '06 Tuono? You should be able to get some great deals on '05 runouts and apart from the styling change still have an awesome bike.

Mike

helmethair
11-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Good for you! Are you getting the new '06 Tuono? You should be able to get some great deals on '05 runouts and apart from the styling change still have an awesome bike.

Mike
I haven't ruled that out, but for now I'm aiming at the 06 Tuono.

evandewan
11-11-2005, 06:15 PM
The word from our local dealer is the 06 Tuono will be at the Seattle IMC in a couple of weeks. I that where you are going to test sit one?

Monkeyboy
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
HH,
I came down to the same 2 bikes 2 years ago. It was a somewhat easier choice for me as the FZ then still had steel tube frame and reviews spoke consistently about scrapping parts in the twisties. I'm not so crazy about the '06 looks but I would love to have the added grunt in my '04.
Although I'm sure you're getting a different bias in the FZ forums, what i can tell you is that despite the additional cost, 2 years later I have never been so happy with a bike or maybe any other purchase in my life (pretty sad huh). Seriously I love this bike. You may, like many others here, find yourself looking back at the bike when leaving her for the night, or doing other goofy things that just aren't envoked by other bikes.

Good luck on your planned purchase.

ZeroTwoRSV
11-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I can't wait to read your posts 1 day after you've had it, then 1 week, then 1 month :cathat: .

helmethair
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
The word from our local dealer is the 06 Tuono will be at the Seattle IMC in a couple of weeks. I that where you are going to test sit one?
You got it! The minute I walk in the door I'll be looking for the Aprilia booth. I've been working on my mounting style for the big moment.
Monkeyboy;
I was actually surprised how many guys on the FZ site incurraged me to get the Aprilia; a few were actually thinking about doing the same thing. It was good to see that they new a nice machine when they saw one!
You can count on my first ride impressions. Having had a VTX, my current BMW K-1200 G/T and the R1, I'm sure this will be yet another whole new riding expirence.

Tdawg
11-14-2005, 01:51 PM
HH,
You may, like many others here, find yourself looking back at the bike when leaving her for the night, or doing other goofy things that just aren't envoked by other bikes.

So true :)

Look for the Piaggio area. I hear they will have all products in one tent.
Derbi, Vespa, Guzzi, & Aprilia.

Having a great local dealer is an added benefit.

army scope jock
11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
There is always the new speed triple to consider or dare I say the new BMW R1200S.

helmethair
11-14-2005, 03:08 PM
So true :)

Look for the Piaggio area. I hear they will have all products in one tent.
Derbi, Vespa, Guzzi, & Aprilia.

Having a great local dealer is an added benefit.
Will do, Thanks!l

Dvus
11-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Moto International is a great dealer! They'll take care of you

bbluemm
11-14-2005, 10:38 PM
I can't wait to read your posts 1 day after you've had it, then 1 week, then 1 month :cathat: .

:plus:

I don't think you'll regret getting the Aprilia, especially the first time you go riding to any type of bike gathering.

Bruce