PDA

View Full Version : Piaggio and its US operation...

olie
10-24-2005, 07:41 AM
It came to my attention that Piaggio operation in the USA is not any better than Aprilia's. Both use the same slow boat with the spares and new products from Italy.

It looks it will be too much for Piaggio to handle what they coudn't do by themselves in the past.

olie
12-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Am I suprised with what's going with Piaggio and the Aprilia dealers? NO !!! Piaggio is a scooter company, just se the POS of the automatic MC they are trying to develop for years!!!
Piaggio knows scooters!!!! And that is it !!!!

BTW, did you see the new Scarabeo 500 shown at milan? It looks like a rebaged Piaggio Beverly 500. The unique Scarabeo 500 design is GONE.

I am just waiting to hear that Piaggio has burnt the bridges with Rotax and ...I will be out!!! Enjoy the Aprilia you have, because next one can be a ...Piaggio!!!...unless you want to buy a...scooter!!! :bond: :bond: :bond:

Bill in OKC
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I prefer to think of their Aircraft operations and Ferrari and Maserati connections

Ricky J
12-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Do you remember our fellow AF1 member who worked with Piaggio's aircraft people? According to him, the product was very good, cutting edge even, but lackadaisical customer support shot down any hope of success in America.

Man, we are SO stuck on what happens after purchase aren't we? ;)

Bill in OKC
12-02-2005, 06:41 PM
AF1 probably has their hands full with the new dealership... So the airplanes will just have find their own GREAT CREW OF FOLKS

zvez
12-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Aprilia is/was first/foremost a scooter company too. They only started producing sportbikes for the street ca. 99. Prior to that I think the 250 two stroke was biggest street bike for them.

Italian have always had a different mindset about things, with the possible exception of Ferrari in the last 20 years or so. Ducati's customer service has gotten better since the TPG buyout in 99, still not approaching the Japanese bike standards. Aprilia's never had good customer service in my experience (starting in 2000 for me), hope perhaps Piaggio can make an improvement. Nothing's changed either on that front, sidestand switches were impossible to get then and still are now?

Chris

mybug
12-02-2005, 07:05 PM
BTW, did you see the new Scarabeo 500 shown at milan? It looks like a rebadged Piaggio Beverly 500. The unique Scarabeo 500 design is GONE.

Not true, the new Scarabeo 500 while a morph or rebadge of the Beverly - the Scarabeo you know is not gone.

The new scoot is a Euro model only.

Scarabeo 50, 250 and 500+ ABS all remain. We've got owners in Europe who were at the show and others who translated the press release beyond what Google can do. Basically it said the new Scarabeo 500 replaces the sport/city bike and the Scarabeo family now has an additional model replacing the sport/city.

I really think a lot of this is FUD. No doubt that there is much to fix in the US but as has been reported, it may well work out two years from now for the better.

About all we know for sure is that Atlanta, GA is gone, they're leveraging resources in NY and CA and some models are gone such as the Futura. It has been stated the intention is to see growth in three years and a statement was heard by one dealer that Piaggio recognizes the sizable effort needed to raise MG and Aprilia parts and service to a satisfactory level.

I'm even thinking of buying a MG California Tourer, - call me nuts but I am. They've dropped models for 06' also but the one I want can still be had as a new model this year. :-)

olie
12-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Not true, the new Scarabeo 500 while a morph or rebadge of the Beverly - the Scarabeo you know is not gone.

The new scoot is a Euro model only.

Scarabeo 50, 250 and 500+ ABS all remain. We've got owners in Europe who were at the show and others who translated the press release beyond what Google can do. Basically it said the new Scarabeo 500 replaces the sport/city bike and the Scarabeo family now has an additional model replacing the sport/city.

Hmm, it sounds familiar!!! Just look what was said with the new Pegaso and the Atlantic Sprint. Both new additions. Right?? WRONG, the old ones are gone. :whiner:

hank
12-04-2005, 12:04 PM
I might drop by Piaggio USA next week just to check things out....

olie
12-04-2005, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=hank]I might drop by Piaggio USA next week just to check things out....[/QUOTE
:blah: :blah: My current job is in the City, close enough to them, just across from Grand Central. :plus: to make noise. :bond: :bond:

hank
12-04-2005, 12:52 PM
:blah: :blah: My current job is in the City, close enough to them, just across from Grand Central. :plus: to make noise. :bond: :bond:

So pick a day and let's go...

evandewan
12-04-2005, 03:08 PM
If you guys are in the city and headed over to Piaggio, be sure to bring Guido and Knuckles with you so they HAVE to listen!LOL :)

ZeroTwoRSV
12-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't work in the city, but live close enough. I could probably meet you there close to 4:30 - 5PM someday. Do I hear an impromptu Aprilia gathering???

GeoR
12-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Fantastic idea, brings signs and make lots of noise!!

hu, ask them for my calendar while you're there? :cathat:

rod2625
12-09-2005, 12:36 AM
http://www.piaggiogroup.com/documents/BondholdersReportSeptember2005.pdf

They state that as of 30 Sept Aprilia Scooters and Moto made money while Aprilia Bikes lost money among other things. Interesting reading.

pbigoney
12-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Ummm, Scooter scooter and more scooters, I see the US is a small wag on their sales charts, something like 10.6 mil Euro. ummmm, small potatoes.
They want to sell scooters.

grabdawg
12-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I sold the Avanti the first time they brought it to the states. Er, I should say I "tried to sell the Avanti"! Piaggio sucks big time if you have to work for them. Typical Italian management...all emotion and no backup. The airplane was light years ahead of the competition, and one of the finest machines I've ever flown or ridden in. Sound familiar, Aprilia owners? Unfortunately, it was 1) more expensive than the light jets; 2) had no dealers or service for support; 3) absolutely no parts available (they had to cannibalize the line if something broke here in the US); 4) no history for resale; 5) no plans to do anything about any of the above! Very frustrating experience...to be able to wow anyone who flew in the airplane, then have to answer questions about product support, dealers, resale values, etc. with a very "Italian-like" shrug of the shoulders!

They are currently back in the US marketing the plane for the second time after the Italina govt. bailed them out big time. I don't think they're doing too well this time around either, as they still refuse to release sales numbers to the resale book publishers, which determines their resale value, and gives an accurate idea how well or poorly they're doing.

It's really unfortunate, as I love the Aprilia marque, but I'll never buy another one as long as they're involved!

rod2625
12-10-2005, 10:57 PM
More interesting reading:

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?id=1038025

Maybe they will get Aprilia and the rest of their business turned around....

Roger

Old Wanderer
12-11-2005, 12:16 AM
To quote the Piaggio rep that is at the Long Beach M/C show this weekend. Piaggion is aware of the problems of Aprilia. The move is almost complete, and things might get a little bit worste before they get better, but they say they are committed to rebuilding a new dealer network that will work this time. :confused:

kzmille
12-11-2005, 04:19 PM
More interesting reading:

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?id=1038025

Maybe they will get Aprilia and the rest of their business turned around....

Roger

...and plans to enter World Superbike competition in 2008 with a RSV 1000-based machine.

Now that's what I wanted to hear.

Leanit
12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
What's the most recent confirmed contact anybody or his dealer has had with Aprilia USA?

I've had saddlebags on order since May, and the goddamned things were supposedly in Atlanta this fall. If they boarded up that place, I find it hard to imagine they wouldn't have fulfilled all open orders before packing the unsold inventory to a new warehouse. If they're moving my bags around the country in a container, we Aprilia owners might be more screwed than we suspected.

Talked to Scuderia West in S.F. this morning, and they're as in the dark as we are. Pretty big dealer to be left twisting in the wind, eh.

Dealers, please chime in with any news you can offer.

- Matt

kurtw
12-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I've been patiently waiting on a radiator on order with my dealer.

A rep from Piaggio phoned my home today, appearently at the request of the dealer, to inform me that the parts operation is supposed to be up and filling orders on Dec 16th, this Friday. Realistically, that means Monday. Yes, this is at least the 3rd date that they've given, but cause for hope is that they met their recent date to begin shipping bikes, which was the 12th (bikes are shipping now). He couldn't say how long it would take to catch up with the backlog of orders and mentioned that dealers might have to reorder parts in the new computerized system (heads up...make sure your parts are reordered next week if that's the case).

I really appreciated the contact and the real and sincere effort made to keep me informed. I think it's a good sign. He made no effort to whitewash the way the operation has been run (quite the contrary) and seemed to sincerely believe that things will be much better than they have been pre-Piaggio once everything is up and running.

Boy do I miss my Tuono.... :whiner:

Bill in OKC
12-13-2005, 10:59 AM
A friend recently ordered a part from Ducati with their new 'direct from Italy' system and it took 2.5 weeks. Not too bad - but its not August either :)

Elridor
12-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi

I certainly hope Aprilia will get its act together. That would be a real shame if such good bikes could not get trough because of bad management... And personnaly i fear for the value of my investment. Who would bye a bike that can't be repair. The stories i've read here made my hair stand straight on my head! I heard there were no parts available for an ASTONISHING two years!!!Here in Canada, even though i recieved my recall notice for the swing arm, no news from anybody (the wheel just may come off... no need to worry). I read about the shut down of the wearhouse in december end the reopening after the hollydays for once, there's a good side to winter... I would not be on the bike for the next four months anyway...

Maybe, in the next year with the reorganisation and everything Piaggio will act like a respectable company and provide us with the service we deserve and own.

I wonder if we could be of any help to make this happen?

If that happens, man, my world would be perfect... well.......

mikeyyc
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Elridor,

Barrett Marketing is the Aprilia rep in Canada, and deals with Aprilia directly in Italy. AUSA doesn't deal on our side of the border.

Mike

tsombrero
12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
What's the most recent confirmed contact anybody or his dealer has had with Aprilia USA?

I just talked to them this morning in fact!

Called their customer service line in NY and talked to a nice but exasperated gal who had no idea why parts are on hold, where the parts are physically (Italy? Woodstock? In transit?) and how much longer parts will continue to be on hold. Oh, and she had never heard of a "Caponord". Good stuff!

Maybe our friends in Woodstock torched the place on their way out? Just a theory.

I have to think folks are going to start lemon-lawing their bikes pretty soon. I'm keeping mine, though. I know first hand that mergers/acquisitions are always complicated and can take years to sort through.

Elridor
12-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Barrett Marketing is the Aprilia rep in Canada, and deals with Aprilia directly in Italy. AUSA doesn't deal on our side of the border.

I know. But there's certainly place for improvements there. It's the same situation as in the US. That could mean that improvements is a long way for us.... How's the part availability in Calgary?

Leanit
12-19-2005, 05:02 PM
I just got off the phone with the customer service PERSON (yes, singular, as in there's 1 of her) at Piaggio USA in New York.

Although it's a "high priority, no Aprilia or Guzzi orders are being filled at this time. Furthermore, there is no official date on which we can expect them to resume."

Of equal concern is that the phrase "we'll let you know when your dealer can call to reorder."

I love my Caponord, but I may wear it out before I ever get the bags I bought with it last spring. :spankie:

- Leanit :mad:

zvez
12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Yep, Piaggio wants to get their order books full and aren't even mildly concerned about all the customers out their waiting on parts etc. sad state.
Chris

Chris Eberhart
12-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Although better support has been promised, the organization of the warehouse move leads one to wonder. If support is a priority (even a low one) you get your second warehouse operation up and running and filling orders before you shutter the old one and consolidate inventory. Does GM stop making cars for five years while it builds a new manufacturing plant? And what, exactly, does the warehouse do anyway if any part I order has to be individually rowed across the Atlantic by a bored Tuscan?
One also wonders about the green customer service and technical staff. Those of us in the New World know that you don't shoot the natives before you get the map.
There may be good explanations for all this, but on the face of it these are the actions of an organization that really does not care.
Perhaps in southern europe one can successfully woo with promises and apologies, but over here a lover demands action.

Ergo
12-29-2005, 04:50 PM
My local BMW dealer moved to a wonderful new facility. :plus: Why would I care? Well, besides being great folks, they also added:

1. Triumph

2. Piaggio scooters :cigar:

3. Vespa Scooters

Amid the doom and gloom in this thread, I view it as a good sign! :cheers:

Scootopia
12-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Although better support has been promised, the organization of the warehouse move leads one to wonder. If support is a priority (even a low one) you get your second warehouse operation up and running and filling orders before you shutter the old one and consolidate inventory. Does GM stop making cars for five years while it builds a new manufacturing plant? And what, exactly, does the warehouse do anyway if any part I order has to be individually rowed across the Atlantic by a bored Tuscan?
One also wonders about the green customer service and technical staff. Those of us in the New World know that you don't shoot the natives before you get the map.
There may be good explanations for all this, but on the face of it these are the actions of an organization that really does not care.
Perhaps in southern europe one can successfully woo with promises and apologies, but over here a lover demands action.

They are not moving the parts warehouse only the order taking system!

Brenda H.
12-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I've been patiently waiting on a radiator on order with my dealer.

A rep from Piaggio phoned my home today, appearently at the request of the dealer, to inform me that the parts operation is supposed to be up and filling orders on Dec 16th, this Friday. Realistically, that means Monday. Yes, this is at least the 3rd date that they've given, but cause for hope is that they met their recent date to begin shipping bikes, which was the 12th (bikes are shipping now).
Boy do I miss my Tuono.... :whiner:

I spoke to one of the Piaggio reps for the west coast today. Moto Guzzi starts shipping parts, etc. this week. As for Aprilia, he has repeatedly requested a starting date for parts and bike shipments. His statement was that he had even asked for a "I don't know" if that was the case. So far no answer either way. He has no idea of if and/or when Piaggio will get it's act together on Aprilia. SNAFU in ALL CAPS!! He said that THEY ARE WORKING ON IT.

What was to have been a couple of 4 day weekends, thanks to the holidays, got turned into 4 day working weekends trying to get things up, online, and going. His opinion of the way Aprilia was handling things is even worse than mine. Their way of doing business was so outdated that the fact that anything got done was a surprise [to both of us!]. You also don't want my opinion of the way the changeover has been handled. That an international corporation can be so thoroughly ham handed in planning such a major operation speaks volumes to the point of making me wonder if they will ever get their act together.

:soap:

If Piaggio doesn't bring the Atlantic back to the US, they will lose me as a customer. They may have managed to do that already!! The only scoots they have that interest me are smaller than my AA and it is highly unlikely that I will go down that much in size [Beo 250cc or the BV200]. My situation does not make a smaller scoot practical. Besides I already have my Rally:) .

I do have a question for the AF1 guys. If Piaggio/Aprilia isn't shipping bikes by the time the new shop opens, any ideas as to what you're going to stock the showroom floor with? :kidding:

I MISS MY AA!!

vsgofast
12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Brenda,

Is your bike out of commission? What's wrong with it?

Brenda H.
12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Brenda,

Is your bike out of commission? What's wrong with it?

My AA has been sitting in Jay B.'s shop since early Sept., effectively down for some time before that due to a bad voltage regulator. It's a warranty repair and as usual, Aprilia couldn't find it's collective A** with both hands. Repeated requests from Jay and myself :bangwall: have gotten us nowhere, not even to the point of authorizing another dealer who has the darn thing to ship it to Jay so I could get my bike back. With the Piaggio shutdown of Aprilia Atlanta and no date in sight as to it's reemergence [sp?] as a working entity, I'm stuck with having to drive my gas guzzling F150. I live in a state where year round bike riding is possible and I'M GROUNDED!! I have to drive about 100 miles one way just to visit my AA. It has been sitting so long that Jay's techie, Phil, is using it for a parts shelf!

My opinion of the whole darn mess?? :bond:

vsgofast
12-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. A lot of us including yours truly are in the same boat...waiting for parts

GeoR
12-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry for your troubles but you had a way out months ago: how much is a voltage regulator, $80?? I would have bought the damn thing from the dealer who had it in stock and try to make the claim later.

Ricky J
12-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Let's not go there, GeoR.

Brenda H.
12-31-2005, 01:48 PM
:(
Sorry for your troubles but you had a way out months ago: how much is a voltage regulator, $80?? I would have bought the damn thing from the dealer who had it in stock and try to make the claim later.

$80?? I WISH!! Price quote for the AA's regulator is MINIMUM $225 retail!! Check AF1's listing for it. My financial situation is tight enough due to other factors that I cannot afford to spend that kind of money for something I absolutely do not have to have. Add in I raise horses and thanks to the local drought hay in any form does not exist around here. Prices are already climbing and with no rain in sight, a spring cutting, usually end of May - early June, just isn't going to happen. My horses and my other expenses come first. The bike is not a neccessity and therefore will have to wait on Piaggio getting it's collective a** together. So for the time being Phil has a 2 wheeled parts shelf and I get to make an occassional visit to Austin to visit my baby. :(

vsgofast
12-31-2005, 03:27 PM
The horses can't pull your bike around?:kidding:

GeoR
12-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't know it was that expensive. The Hondas Superhawk and VFRs burn their voltage regulators quite often, but they're avalable for a lot less $$.

clarkie49
12-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Price quote for the AA's regulator is MINIMUM $225 retail!! Check AF1's listing for it.

ebay isnt the only place that things sell for more than retail ;)

Ricky J
12-31-2005, 07:32 PM
When customers need to contemplate purchasing their own parts to take care of warranty issues maybe, just maybe, that company ain't ready for The Big League. And to even hint that an owner is wrong for not doing that suggests that some of us here might be developing a form of Stockholm Syndrome. :D

Brenda H.
01-01-2006, 11:35 AM
ebay isnt the only place that things sell for more than retail ;)

Actually. AF1 has one of the more reasonable prices for the regulator. I've had prices of over $250 quoted at me for it. I could possibly get it used but I'd be setting myself up for a repeat "performance" since this also appears to be a common problem with the AA's. Anyone think I could invoke Texas' "lemon law" in this situation?? :rolleyes: I'd love to get a new AA with a full warranty since this situation has also cost me close to 4 months of what warranty I have left!!

Although, with the current hay situation around here [as in total lack of any!] I may end up having "fun" making the payments on the one I have. The horses must be taken care of and with 20 head, I go thru a fair amount of hay! :o

GeoR
01-01-2006, 12:24 PM
When customers need to contemplate purchasing their own parts to take care of warranty issues maybe, just maybe, that company ain't ready for The Big League. And to even hint that an owner is wrong for not doing that suggests that some of us here might be developing a form of Stockholm Syndrome. :D

I just went through a 3 months losing warranty fight with Ducati, who refused the claim without even an explanation "sorry, no can do" was the only answer I got from them. And that part only costs $120 --the bike runs fine, it's just ride height adjuster, it was easy for me because there was no hardship involved

I really did it for the sport of finding out how Ducati works and for the principle. Obviously Brenda is in a different situation.
Sorry, but I never meant to suggest that she was wrong:
I only tried to suggest a "less than perfect" (but expedient) solution to replace the defective part from that dysfunctional company (Aprilia/Piaggo).....after all this is a imperfect world.

All this talk about hay makes me think of rolling in it. :happy:

zvez
01-01-2006, 09:19 PM
GeoR,
Sorry you had bad experience with Ducati. Had a warranty issue on a damaged throttle body on my 748. Later had another warranty claim on my 996 that was PAST the warranty period for flaking rockers, Ducati fixed at no charge.

Chris

priller tiller
01-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone think I could invoke Texas' "lemon law" in this situation?? :rolleyes: I'd love to get a new AA with a full warranty since this situation has also cost me close to 4 months of what warranty I have left!!

fortunately, i don't have any issues with my priller's (knock on wood). as i read about everyone's situation's i think Brenda has a good idea...Lemon Law. that's why the states have them in place. i know that they differ from state to state. i've lived in CO where the lemon law doesn't apply to 2 wheeled vehicles but i know in TX the lemon law is pretty strict. i would definitely check into it.

:peace:

Chris Eberhart
01-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Brenda, A number of AA owners have installed Honda voltage regulators. You will find sources and simple installation intructions on that forum. Apparently the only complexity is that while the plugs match they are not wired identically so you need to cut them off and splice matching wire colors.

===
I haven't been able to figure out what my legal options are. Michigan's lemon law also does not cover motorcycles so we are left with federal warranty law. I have asked my dealer to tell Aprillia to either fix my bike or else buy it back from me. I would like to put some serious pressure on them but the cost of an attorney is much more than the cost of my warranty claims. Anyone know of an enterprising young attorney who would like to put together a class-action suit on behalf of dealers and owners?
Alternatively, the value of the North American operation will be close to zero very soon. Perhaps if we chip in $10 each...

GeoR
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Brenda, A number of AA owners have installed Honda voltage regulators. You will find sources and simple installation intructions on that forum. .

I've been thinking that it didn't have to be an Aprilia part (I don't think that Aprilia manufactures voltage regulators anyway). I replaced the starter relay switch on my Mille with one from a Honda ATV.

Brenda H.
01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=Chris Eberhart]Brenda, A number of AA owners have installed Honda voltage regulators. You will find sources and simple installation intructions on that forum.

Chris

I checked the board you mentioned. The changeover looks relatively simple, but as long as my bike is still under warranty, I'm not going to risk voiding it. Afterwards will be another matter. Right now I'm having all work done by a dealer. To paraphrase the old saying . . been there, been told I didn't do that so no warranty repairs. Jay agrees. Just wish I didn't have 2 such cycles coming up almost as soon as I get my bike back, the belt change and the regular service cycle. OUCH!!!

Ricky J
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Good call, Brenda.

You know, if there were any justice at work with this whole thing Piaggio would extend owner warranties by the amount of time they were immobilized at dealers while waiting for unobtainable parts. A warranty can be considered a feature of the product you paid good money for, and to have it ticking away while your machine is sidelined...