PDA

View Full Version : BikerGeek's New Track Tool

BikerGeek
10-05-2005, 10:41 PM
For next year, I am seriously considering a 4-wheel track alternative. Not that I am giving up on motorcycles. But a 4-wheel vehicle is infinitely harder to highside than its 2-wheel alternative. I have a possible barter alternative to get me a membership with the Autobahn Country Club where everyday is a track day (that should be their catch phrase).

Here is my possible track vehicle. It would seem to be a good beginner alternative. The stock Lotus Elise weighs in at under 2,000 lbs and has a serious power-to-weight advantage. A tricked out race version sports a 200-300hp engine and a sick curb weight of 700lbs dry.

Any Lotus fanatics out there?

Ride safe.

Jet City Racer
10-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I sat in one today when I dropped my Audi off for an electrical issue. Damn cool little go kart if you ask me. That thing would be a hoot at Autobahn CC!

Good thing I'm broke! :D

samnavy
10-05-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't know what your price range is, but try this.
http://www.arielatom.com
Go to the lower left once you're inside the website and click the first "see the movie". It will blow your mind. I'm thinking the 300horse version is probably around $80k in the US. An Elise has nothing on this car.

For the money, I'd get a '94-'97 Miata with a built motor. You could get into a serious 220 or so horsepower turbo miata, and run it every weekend at the track for ten years for the price of a new Elise. For my toys, I like something I can take apart in the garage without too much trouble. With an Elise, I'd be afraid of looking at it weird for fear of breaking a part that costs $4k and has to be special ordered from Germany.
For the record, I have an all motor '93 Miata with full suspension, roll bar, and about half of the Racing Beat catalog for a total investment of about $6k dollars. My buddies brand new C6 sees my taillights all day long in the hills.

BikerGeek
10-05-2005, 11:46 PM
The Lotus Elise is assembled in England but uses a tried-and-true mainstream 200hp Toyota VVT4 engine that anyone can service.

The Areil Atom looks impressive but definitely out of my price range. $40K is a major stretch for me to get the Elise.

If I look at a budget choice it would probably be a used Toyota MR2 which is basically the Lotus Elise without the British chassis and bodywork.

Ride safe.

Rusnak_322
10-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Can you rent?

Check this out - http://www.rentexoticcars.com/san_antonio.html
$350 a day to rent one in Texas. Some nice roads out there, I rented a Harley V-Rod and went for a 360 mile ride in the hill country this past weekend.

I second the Miata. I just spent $6500 on a 1999 and I love it. I needed a 2nd car - my F350 crewcab 4x4 diesel is killing me on my 70+ mile daily commute. I was looking at for a used car that got good mileage but wasn't a boring econobox in the $6k range. I had always though that the Miata was a chick car, but compared to the neons and other boring cars it looked better. After driving it a while, I love the thing. I went and watched an autocross (may do some of that next year) and they were pretty impressive compared to the bigger + faster cars.

eddie