PDA

View Full Version : Track day & Suspension Clinic; Barber Oct. 8 & 9

Drt Boy
09-21-2005, 07:54 PM
This will be my first track day and am looking forward to it! Would be great to meet other Aprilia owners, anyone else planning to attend?

DB

scfrank
10-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Who's putting this on ?
I am a new Tuono owner.

I might be interested in this.
What's the details ?

Thanks

SCFRANK

Drt Boy
10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey scfrank,

Track day is put on by Ohlins suspension. But, they will help you with any brand suspension you have. I've been in touch with Mike Hensley at Ohlins and have secured my spot in the beginners class.

Text of Mike's email to me:

I have attached the information that should answer most of your questions. I would suggest signing up for both days. That way you would be able to ride the track on Saturday, then sit in on the suspension seminar Saturday evening and then make some suggested adjustments to your bike for Sundays riding.
If you have never been on a track, you will have to sign up for the beginners class. It is an advanced riding school and will have several instructors showing you the correct line on the track, how to properly get on and off the track, etc...
If you have any questions, please send me another email. If you are ready to reserve your spots, just give me a call @ 828-692-4525.
Thanks, Mike

email me at: Jlamber1@tampabay.rr.com and I will forward the attachments to you.

I've never done a track day but have 30+ years of street riding. I'll be riding my '03 Tuono R. Hope you can make it.

Jack Lambert

scfrank
10-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I have family plans that weekend.
I raced a little 20 years ago and have a tuono now. I'd love to get on the Barber track.

Maybe some other time.

Thanks again,
I did find it on the Ohlins site also.

SCFRANK

Drt Boy
10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
This first track day was really fun! You couldnít pick a better place to start than Barber Motorsports Park. This place is groomed like a golf course, the track is smooth and fun and there is the museum with over 500 classic bikes on display. The only way to describe this place is: First Class, in every way!

We got 5, 20 min. sessions on the track and it just got better every time. Tom and I were the only ones who rode our bikes to the track, my Tuono R and his GS1000S. Tom did really well with that slug of a BMW and the Tuono just rocked!

I actually passed people on the track! :banana:

ĎCorse, I did get passed a few times. :rolleyes:

Everyone was super friendly. One guy came up and gave me some pointers about the series of turns just before the straight. He offered to show me the correct line. I was blown away with how much G-force that turn generated (done the correct way). In fact, I had to back off not to run him over on the exit. Man, that Tuono hooks up and flat accelerates on the exits!

I felt pretty good at 63, racing with a bunch of younger guys (and girls) but I did have a secret weapon: Tuono R. The bike was in itís element and it really made me look good!

Thermosman and Doug Shaw (from Ohlins) tweeked the suspension (decreased rear sag) and the difference was very noticable; Thanks guys!

If you havenít done a track day, do it!

DB

RSV1000RnAZ
10-12-2005, 01:19 PM
WOW. Barber is a nice track.

MikeSchinkel
10-25-2005, 01:41 AM
I learned of this too late.
Anyone know if they plan to do it again?