PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 04' into a racer..tips pls

mille108
09-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi,

After a huge accident on the road i decided that my public road riding/racing day's are over...
So i want to build a racer from the remains of my 04 RSV...
What to do with the wiring loom? do i leave it as it is, or open it up and use only the usefull wires.

markvandeboom
09-20-2005, 06:57 AM
First thing you should do is offer your mirrors (which you don't need anylonger) to a friendly Dutch Falco owner. :cathat:

Dr. Thrillride
09-20-2005, 11:10 AM
There's not alot you can disconnect without the ECU putting the bike into limp mode. I would test carefully everything you want to take off first. The no-brainers to remove are the front brake switch, the rear brake switch, the kickstand switch, the clutch switch, the horn, both fans (if you can run without them). I think that's it on the lines with connectors to the main loom that you can remove. Anything else like lights, you can cut out and protect very carefully and secure very carefully, then hide and forget about them. You need to 'leave alone' the flapper actuator, dash, lambda probe, o2 probe under the air intake, and anything going to the throttle bodies and airbox. There are others...anyone else help?

Hi,

After a huge accident on the road i decided that my public road riding/racing day's are over...
So i want to build a racer from the remains of my 04 RSV...
What to do with the wiring loom? do i leave it as it is, or open it up and use only the usefull wires.

psmportland
09-20-2005, 01:38 PM
For the effort of finding the half dozen or so wires you can eliminate, versus the half pound you would lose, I would take some additonal fiber the night before. The monitored communications bus that siemens uses in the system on that machine is ver picky about messing with it. It may run right at first, and show no problems, untill you get ten miles down the road and the limp home mode turns on.

Alot of the sensors you are trying to test would need to be read by an Oscope anyway, not a volt meter or (cringe) a testlight.

The harness will lay nicely in the race bodywork along the underside.

Plus, as a used racebike, it's worth, lets see...crapola.
as a rashed streetbike, you could sell it for a bit more:)

mille108
09-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the info... :)

As soon as my leg is in one piece again i will start with the bike..
Seeing this when i came back from the hospital did hurt even more than my leg.......... :crybaby:

My precious Tig squashed..
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL526/3365860/6907854/111337762.jpg

jjb
09-21-2005, 08:00 AM
For the effort of finding the half dozen or so wires you can eliminate, versus the half pound you would lose, I would take some additonal fiber the night before.
I agree with not hacking on the wiring harness. I've seen more DNS's at races because someone was saving weight by cutting off harness pieces.

About the fiber, if you forget the night before I'd suggest this just before practice ...
http://users.frii.com/jjb/aprilia/fleet.jpg

clarkie49
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
that's what i miss about living in Phoenix, going to a Mexican resturant the night before a race :D

Jiggla
09-21-2005, 10:22 AM
that's what i miss about living in Phoenix, going to a Mexican resturant the night before a race :D

If you want that type of meal I know a great Dominican resturant ;)

mille108
09-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay,

What to do with all the vacuum hoses?
The flapper valve is already disconected so could i just close them of at the TB?

mille108
09-22-2005, 02:13 AM
First thing you should do is offer your mirrors (which you don't need anylonger) to a friendly Dutch Falco owner. :cathat:

Hi Mark

At the moment im busy bying another 04 mille from germany..
So for sure i will have some mirrors for you in the near future.
As soon as the other one is in my possesion i wil let you know..

Groeten van texel :cathat:

markvandeboom
09-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi Mark

At the moment im busy bying another 04 mille from germany..
So for sure i will have some mirrors for you in the near future.
As soon as the other one is in my possesion i wil let you know..

Groeten van texel :cathat:

That's great! But does this mean that you will make a racer out of that one, or will you strip your crashed Mille?

mille108
09-22-2005, 06:27 AM
My crashed one will be put together again with parts from the german bike...as a road bike, and then sell it with license plate.
The german one will be my future racebike,that one is still in good condition but doesnt have any papers so i dont have to pay any import tax..

markvandeboom
09-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Smart thinking!

Dr. Thrillride
09-24-2005, 05:41 AM
it's fine to take the wires away that join the harness via a plastic connector (the no-brainers I indicate), but, yes, I agree, there's really no need to take the loom apart.

I agree with not hacking on the wiring harness. I've seen more DNS's at races because someone was saving weight by cutting off harness pieces.

About the fiber, if you forget the night before I'd suggest this just before practice ...
http://users.frii.com/jjb/aprilia/fleet.jpg

mille108
09-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the info....... i suppose i can blank off the vacuum hose from the flapper valve at the TB?

clarkie49
09-24-2005, 07:04 AM
yep, i just zip-tie the flapper solenoid to the rest of the loom by itself, you will need to keep the immobiliser and key on the bike :)

mille108
10-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Yesterday i took of the left hand side switch cluster, with the indicator switch and the light switch and so on.
As soon as i disconnect the that one the dashboard lights dont work anymore...
Can someone tell me wich wires i need to connect and wich wires are for the laptimer so that i can install a small simple switch for that one..

Thanks..