PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: All that crashed due to jammed throttles.

Daniel
09-20-2005, 04:49 AM
Hi all,

Just spoken to the general manager for moto millia Malaysia.

He currently has Aprilia guys with him now. According to him, Aprilia have not heard of any incidents regarding the jammed throttles. No one have actually brought the complaint to the dealers.

So here we are bitching about how such a defect has passed thru Aprilia's eyes when they thenselves have not been informed of the problem.

So please, contact your dealer directly and bring up the compaint, or even better contact Aprilia of your country directly so that the issue be indeed reach Aprilia's ears.

Thanks.

clarkie49
09-20-2005, 08:16 AM
it's the fly-by-wire throttle system, Honda had troubles last year and a guy was killed in japan as a direct result or it, Honda tried to cover it up :pissed:

Italibikefreak
09-20-2005, 08:36 AM
it's the fly-by-wire throttle system, Honda had troubles last year and a guy was killed in japan as a direct result or it, Honda tried to cover it up :pissed:

I thought It was the auto-throttle/auto-pilot system that was the problem? :rolleyes:

Daniel
09-20-2005, 09:26 AM

yeah, thats the Honda but our RSVR isn't fly-by-wire.

Anders J.
09-20-2005, 10:03 AM
I work with maintenance and it is my experience that manufacturers very seldom admits that they have a specific problem if you ask them.

Jiggla
09-20-2005, 10:08 AM
I work with maintenance and it is my experience that manufacturers very seldom admits that they have a specific problem if you ask them.

Like the non-existant rear brake :cathat:

muppet
09-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Are you sure they're supposed to have a rear brake???? or clutch!!! :cathat:

GiMotoCanada
09-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Daniel,

I cannot thank you enough for this post. I will be travelling to Milan for the show in November and my dealer is attempting to arrange a tour of the Aprilia factory. I will be passing on any information I can...

Rob

Jiggla
09-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Are you sure they're supposed to have a rear brake???? or clutch!!! :cathat:

I think they are an option. You will have to pay extra for them :cigar:

hank
09-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Daniel's unfortunate experience was the first I heard; has anyone else had a problem with a stuck throttle?

Could it have been something that was done when the dealer set-up the bike?

GiMotoCanada
09-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Check out the link titled "HELP! Crashed a brand new RSV"

clarkie49
09-20-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah, thats the Honda but our RSVR isn't fly-by-wire.

so it is a mechanical push/push type throttle, the ECU has no way of making the bike go faster by itself.......

Daniel
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
then it something that jammed the butterflies open?

Apelover
09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
This is VERY reminiscent of the Audi’s, or BMW’s that were “sticking” at full throttle, causing their owners to drive through the back of their garages and prompting the industry to put lock out switches in the cars, making it impossible to put the Trans into “drive” without having the brake pedal depressed.
I believe after several through investigations there, it was found to be driver error and NOT a mechanical flaw.
I just find it hard to believe that with a twin cable throttle, you can’t shut down? Unless like Scott mentioned, something was jammed in the butterfly.
I also remember from my drag racing days, throttles sticking wide open (Single cable!), and the rider forgetting to use either the manual, or dead man’s kill switches.
Funny things happen when you’re pumped full of adrenaline.

clarkie49
09-20-2005, 07:22 PM
the throttle can stick open if something messes with the linkage or the cables but just as long as you realise the bike wont accelerate by itself ;)

sometimes it can be something imparing the throttle linkage/cables (not the fault of the motorcycle) and sometimes it can be human error, especially if you cant replicate it. if something broke off and jammed the linkage you would be able to tell, if something (like a rock) jammed the butterflies open and you tried to force the throttle closed (with the twistgrip) you could tell.

throttle cables can be adjusted wrong which will cause a throttle to hang up (adjusting the throttle play is part of the predelivery inspection) but that is not an Aprilia thing, it is a dealer thing. throttle cable adjusters can be overtightened causing them to break and jam the throttle linkage (which again would be the dealer) but you would be able to see the broken parts that caused the throttle to hang up.

i have seen a Futura with a throttle that would stick and was a bugger to correct but it was from an airbox being installed incorrectly (again the dealer not Aprilia).

If the gas station attendant fills your petrol powered car with deisel you dont blame Shell or Mobil do you?

this is why a pre-delivery inspection is so critical to your safety and the longevity of your bike, this doesnt mean that the dealer is at fault, but this is why all throttles have both a pull and a puch cable ;)

X-CBR MAN
09-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't have my manual with me but does this system have an aux. air valve for cold start regulated by the ecu or no?

clarkie49
09-20-2005, 09:56 PM
the stepper motor will help regulate the idle by adding air or the ecu will add fuel, it wont raise the rpm above 1250rpm (trust me we have tried :))

the stepper motor takes air from the airbox and feeds it in below the butterflies, it does not manipulate the butterflies at all

Schu
09-20-2005, 10:40 PM
the stepper motor will help regulate the idle by adding air or the ecu will add fuel, it wont raise the rpm above 1250rpm (trust me we have tried :))

the stepper motor takes air from the airbox and feeds it in below the butterflies, it does not manipulate the butterflies at all

Clarkie, what's your personal view on intake tract and air box modifications in as far as those mods helping performance?

11b30b4
09-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Well among other things, my throttle has stuck open several times and remained open at 4-5,000 rpms till I hit the kill switch. I am having it look at.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61676