PDA

View Full Version : looking for a stronger ignition spark / better combustion !

FetzPetz
09-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Will drive higher compression and so i`m also looking for a stronger ignition spark. I found the NOGOLY ProFire System , but there must be something else !
I need it for racing only !
The system should enable a better combustion in the combustion space !

Has anybody an Idea ?

Kind regards -Peter from Austria

Schu
09-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Will drive higher compression and so i`m also looking for a stronger ignition spark. I found the NOGOLY ProFire System , but there must be something else !
I need it for racing only !
The system should enable a better combustion in the combustion space !

Has anybody an Idea ?

Kind regards -Peter from Austria

I have run the capacitive discharge (ie; nology and others) system on my sunday driver/track automobile... the system does indeed make the car "feel" more alive, but it really does not make the engine out put more hp. it is more of a Crsiper feeling throttle response(perhaps a tad more torque). I can not see this for a motorcycle that is not a designated track bike at the highest levels... But it's your bike.

StockFactory
09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Check into CDI or Capacitive Discharge Ignition. MSD makes a unit for motorcycle application. Though it won't give you anymore power but it does provide the responsivness with a higher enery spark.

And stay away from Nology, their stuff is uber garbage or "snake oil".

Scary
09-14-2005, 08:01 PM
What are the coils you're running reading, primary resistance wise, at the moment ?
The reason I ask is some of us here have been useing much lower Pri.resistance( .5 ohms) coils on HD. high compression strokers here for 15 + years with good results. Now HD do it also from the Twin cams on (.8 ohms.approx).
Lowering the rate will give u a better spark & allow u to open up the plug gap too & even some times, slightly retard timing also.....BUT !!!! I haven't tried this on an Aprilia "yet", so we don't know how low is possible without damaging the ECU's etc.
I have brought this up before & found for the earlier twin plug head models that the manual stated a large window (3 Ohms to 5.2 Ohms. approx), My Tuono has 4.4 Ohms prim.resist. in her(piss weak). That's why the spark plugs last so long on the Aprilias I think. So the Nology 3 ohms( I think they are 2.8's really if I remember right) would probably be the go for me, & then I wouldn't, in thoery, blow or damage the ECU, going by the manual anyway.
But yours is a single plug head set up & I don't know the manuals allowable primary resistance rage/window for you model, nor the prim.res.rate.
But something to think about "A" as most 21st century bikes coils are below 1 ohm now. ;)