PDA

View Full Version : Beaten to the punch - Middle weight tripple

clarkie49
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
triumps gets the right idea by offereing a middleweight tripple :cool:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=23985

hank
09-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Sweet - but something smaller would be more fun to play on....

There are so many 'Tards thumping around on trackdays a little 400~550 would be a hoot to mix it up a bit!

VikNWill
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
And a Scrambler ?! Maybe a Bonnie w/ high pipes to compete w/ the 620 Multi Strada?

Wish they had some pictures.

Will

john flores
09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/news.html

nice. they've gotten a little away from the ultra hard edge look of prior models, which is a step in the right direction, IMHO. Only problem is by doing that they've become more generic - it would be hard to identify the brand without the logo on the bike.

vito
09-13-2005, 02:28 PM
And a Scrambler ?! Maybe a Bonnie w/ high pipes to compete w/ the 620 Multi Strada?

Wish they had some pictures.

Will

i have fond memories of my honda 305 scrambler. you'd be riding along and see some guys hill climbing so you'd just pull off the road and join them. :D

vtrandall
09-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I like it.
the one thing I hate about these static photos is that you can't get an idea of the size of the bike.

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/Day675_003_e.JPG

agwop
09-13-2005, 08:34 PM
I like it. So my next question is when does mother Aprilia debut her 2006s?

vsgofast
09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Looks like a 2005 Yamaha R1/R6. Are they rebadging Yamaha's leftovers?

LUCKY DAVE
09-13-2005, 10:40 PM
If it's even worth half a damn it'l be a big seller, just 'cause it's different. Triumph guys thrive on "different"
Looking at the size of the wheels in relation to the bike, it's tiny.

William the Third
09-13-2005, 11:05 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/enigmadeadsouls/day675-zx10r.jpg
The Daytona 675 with a 2004 ZX10R overlay. The scale is assuming that the 675 has a 17" front wheel. This should give you an idea of how big (or better yet... small) the bike is. Looks like this will be a fun little bike.

GeoR
09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Looks good, now let's see the street fighter version of that small triple!

clarkie49
09-14-2005, 07:34 AM
I like it. So my next question is when does mother Aprilia debut her 2006s?

well since Aprilia owners leaked the new model Tuono they decided screw the marketing budget, let the forum take care of it :D

agwop
09-14-2005, 08:23 AM
well since Aprilia owners leaked the new model Tuono they decided screw the marketing budget, let the forum take care of it :D

I'll do my part to help! They have my address on file. :)

hank
09-14-2005, 09:40 AM

The power of the Internet!!! And this Forum!

Too bad we don't have MORE influence.... that 4-stroker RS 250 replacement would be in my gagarge already and next to it would be a large box containing a factory go-fast kit ready to be installed! :lover:

agkrei478
09-14-2005, 11:14 PM
The look may be more generic but once a good exhaust system is installed and people hear it, well I think people won't be noticing the look so much. :)
Greg

Ricky J
09-18-2005, 03:35 PM
And that comes from somebody who owned a '97 T595- nuff said?

The thing is genuinely good looking from this angle, now if the detailing is better than a WalMart kiddie swing set...

Red
09-18-2005, 03:54 PM
It's kinds sweet looking! they Aprilia to the punch with a mid-weight triple

GeoR
09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Yeah it does look good but rather derivative. I don't know if it's just wishfull thinking but I get the feel that she'll look even better striped.

Turpentine
09-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Something of a 998 look.. I'd probably hesitate between it and a 748 in flat black...

agkrei478
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
After reading the release about it in Cycle News it seems as if Triumph has finally made the bike that I wanted Aprilia to make for me.(albeit with one extra cylinder attached) I think it looks good and the press release calls for a March 06 release! :cool:

Geor, did you mean it would look betterstriped or stripped ?
If you meant stripped, then that would be a sweet ride too.

Greg

GeoR
09-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I meant nakkid. I think that frame will look nice, and the engine should be compact.
We're all a little too ecstatic about a bike that no one is ridden yet, but the potential sure is there.

KaneRSV
09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Here's a link to more pics of the 675. Its looking real nice in red with the carbon accessories.

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album922&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=index&include=view_album.php

GeoR
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Here's a link to more pics of the 675. Its looking real nice in red with the carbon accessories.
http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album922&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=index&include=view_album.php

Red line (14k rpms) is at 3:00, that's one of my pet peeves, it should always be at 1:00!!
http://www.triumphrat.net/albums/album922/aap.jpg

Other than that it looks ok, but like a Yam/kawi mix to tell the truth. I still want to see it nakkid! Also pretty swing arm but it sure doesn't look very strong:

http://www.triumphrat.net/albums/album922/aav.jpg

KaneRSV
09-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Here's a few quotes taken from the UK testers, from the 32 page layout in "Bike" magazine.

"The verdict? With more than 120bhp at the back wheel wrapped up in the latest chassis technology and weighing a mere 155kg, the Daytona delivers a blend of performance and handling that really does set new standards in it's class"

"The first track test of the prototype 675 was at the same circuit in spane where we'd tested the muel. It's a track I know quite well so it was easy for me to get an accurate picture of how good the bike really is. By the end of the test we were three seconds off the world supersport lap record - and that was on standard road tyres."

"As we hurtle headlong through more open, sweeping A-roads, there's no question: Steve, John and I are straining every last fraction of performance from our bikes, but the 675 is just clearing off..."

The bikes that the 675 were tested against were the 600rr, zx6r 636, and the tt650. If this is true, this bike is gonna rock

GeoR
09-20-2005, 12:06 PM
It's hard to believe the weight or the HP, that sounds like a giant-slayer.
Could Triumph have beaten the Japanese at their own game?........to be continued. :happy:

Any mention about torque or smoothnes?

KaneRSV
09-20-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm getting the info from the UK Triumph site as the guys in that forum read the article and post info. No mention of smoothness but apparently all of the testers are calling the bike incredible in the article. There was another post about the torque, not sure if it was a direct quote though. It said that the 675 had as much torque at 4k rpm, as the japanese bikes had at peak, so apparently it has very good, useable torque in the low and mid range. This thing is really getting interesting.

Ricky J
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
120 horsepower at the back tire? Either:

a. their pony units of measure are very small indeed, or

b. they're full of shite.

I'm going with choice b.

Nick5704
09-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I think it is a step in the right direction for Triumph, but the bike looks like a conglomeration of parts. It is not bad looking, it just looks like they took the best looking parts other manufacturers had. For example,

R1 seat

R1 swingarm

Kawasaki Headlights

Kawasaki front end

Aprilia RSVR triple clamp

Honda/Kawasaki/whoever this week exhaust

Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki like fairings

All the stuff they have on that bike seems like it has been done before. I am not trying to bash it, but come on. Are the Italians the only ones with original designs anymore?

hank
09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
I think it is a step in the right direction for Triumph, but the bike looks like a conglomeration of parts. It is not bad looking, it just looks like they took the best looking parts other manufacturers had. For example,

R1 seat

R1 swingarm

Kawasaki Headlights

Kawasaki front end

All the stuff they have on that bike seems like it has been done before. I am not trying to bash it, but come on. Are the Italians the only ones with original designs anymore?

Well, the SV 650 is a true parts-bin special and it does pretty well... I give them a lot of credit, it might be just what is needed to shake things up a bit with Aprilia and KTM to enter the middle-weight market.

ZeroTwoRSV
09-20-2005, 03:54 PM

R1 seat

R1 swingarm

Kawasaki Headlights

Kawasaki front end

Like what they did to the nose of the RSV you mean (Honda anyone???)

I love our Aprilia as much as the next guy (who, by the way, lives about 25 miles away - try saying that on a Jap bike - or a Harley :p: ) but I really do think at times we get a little silly with our comparisons. Here's an example: my Factory will eat up a GSXR - 1000 in the corners. Somehow, I don't think "eat up" is the accurate term, more like "is very comparable to". You get my point.

On to this Triumph: I think it looks pretty cool, and if the numbers are an improvement over the last bikes, then terrific, that means closer to bringing it to race version!!!! And by the way, I sometimes think that all manufacturers are full of shite when it comes to number crunching ;)

Teddydog1
09-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I'll have one in black, thank you very much!

mfbRSV
09-29-2005, 12:04 PM
With a Rotax motor!

BMW F800S (http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/09292005145620MWEH7A.htm)

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/BMW-F800S.jpg/$file/BMW-F800S.jpg