PDA

View Full Version : Track time for the Mille

hank
09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
I planned on taking out the Mille for its inaugural track experience over the weekend. Then I realized I didn’t have her track stands with me, so I was back to using my 1999 748.

Well that plan didn’t work since the Duc decided its solinoid needed to die, so I was back to the Mille… The lack of track stands would exclude the use of tire warmers - Pirelli slicks and it is 39 F when I get to the track - Damn, that sucks! Well at least it would warm up to near 80F during the day…. I rode mellow on Saturday to get used to her and on Sunday I rode harder (Advanced Group w/Reduc)

First impression; this is a big ass bike 1999 (2000 US). I haven’t really ridden it in almost 2 years, since stopping all street riding. The seat is huge (with enough room to practically have a passenger), the tank is huge (20 liters), hell - EVERYTHING is huge!

Compared to the Duc, the Mille is REALLY tall and from turn-in through the apex of the hairpin turn, it feels bulky. OK, OK, I do need to drop the front and raise the rear, which should help with turn-in (I dragged the back of the bellypan)…but I am still converting it from street to track, so I need to bear that in mind…. but, it is still big.

Corner exit is amazing – the Mille pulls like a tractor. The torque is stomping hard and keeps pulling up the entire rev range. A very different experience compared to the little 748 in terms of torque & ability to get up to speed quickly. The Mille is also super-stabile at speed (probably due to the current street-orientated set up of the front & rear suspension height). Both bikes are fun but the Duc is more forgiving as it is set up better for the track.

I need to spend more time in the saddle getting used to it while dialing in the suspension so that I am as comfortable and controlled with the Mille as I am the 748. On the short track, my lap times are a bit better on the Duc thanks to the corner speeds I can carry, but the Mille really has the HP to pull out of the exits & through the straight shoots. I might have to use more of a squirt & shoot approach but I’ll know more as saddle time increases.

duganc
09-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Sounds like Pocono East. Correct?

hank
09-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Sounds like Pocono East. Correct?

Yes, Are you going to any upcomming dates?

Sal Khan
09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I tried first gear on my Mille out of the hairpin at Pocono East shortly after I did my re-gearing...

... Oops!

Got lap times by chance?

hank
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I tried first gear on my Mille out of the hairpin at Pocono East shortly after I did my re-gearing...

... Oops!

Got lap times by chance?

I haven't set-up my MyChron 3 Gold dash yet but I was mid/front of the Advanced group. I wasn't pushing too hard since it has been a long time since I rode the Mille - and it's a bit big for such a short track. It would be really fun on the FUSA course!

There were several RS 250's there - maybe 4 or 5. Also, Chris Kruzel showed up on his new Factory - his bike looks sweet but we need to get him on the track!

Anyone going on the 24th?

Sal Khan
09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I've actually run the FUSA track on the Mille before it turned into downtown Baghdad and it is SUCH a blast. 3 favorite spots were braking at the end of the front straight, coming onto and running the back straight, and coming back onto the front straight. Just perfect for the bike.

But it definitely took a while to do. that was just a few months after I got my Mille and I was actually faster on my R6 for a while.

I haven't set-up my MyChron 3 Gold dash yet but I was mid/front of the Advanced group. I wasn't pushing too hard since it has been a long time since I rode the Mille - and it's a bit big for such a short track. It would be really fun on the FUSA course!

There were several RS 250's there - maybe 4 or 5. Also, Chris Kruzel showed up on his new Factory - his bike looks sweet but we need to get him on the track!

Anyone going on the 24th?

duganc
09-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Yes, Are you going to any upcomming dates?

I'll probably stop by the first weekend on Oct. when TPM is there just to catch up and see what's going on. Since my wreck last year, track time is a bit of an issue.

But I did run my Mille on East - actually that's when we met. I had those piece of s%#t D207RRs on the bike. Felt like someone was squirting oil on my rear tire. Still I did OK. I think I was turning ~1:19s