PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new Factory!

CETME
09-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, I finally got one! It was either this, or a 749... but this is soooooo much more bike for the money.... (as you guys already know...)

Just a few things....

1.) It didnt come with a manual.. and when I asked for it, the salesman tracked one down and gave it to me...... unfortunately I didnt check... and it was for the '03 and under bikes.... is there an online manual I could access? Everything on the display is metric.... from KM to Celsius... how do I change it over to the American system?

2.) Any recalls or anything like that I should be aware of?

3.) I dont think they put radiator fluid in the bike.... I can see the plastic overflow tank thru the fairing.. but there doesnt seem to be anything in it! Can I use regular auto fluid?

4.) anything else I should KNOW about these bikes?

Do I need to bother with a picture of it in my living room... or have you guys seen enough of them already??

Thanks!!

Paul Johnston
09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
1.) It didnt come with a manual.. and when I asked for it, the salesman tracked one down and gave it to me...... unfortunately I didnt check... and it was for the '03 and under bikes.... is there an online manual I could access? Everything on the display is metric.... from KM to Celsius... how do I change it over to the American system?

Manuals can be downloaded from the service aprilia website here (http://www.serviceaprilia.com) in the downloads area.

This will help with changing over from metric to american system.

Arnie
09-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Congrats on the bike! Yes, a pic would be nice. There's a service bulletin for the clutch master cylinder and rear brake. Also, if you're switching to after market pipes there is a new map for it out there.

MDRSV
09-10-2005, 08:25 PM
.) I dont think they put radiator fluid in the bike.... I can see the plastic overflow tank thru the fairing.. but there doesnt seem to be anything in it! Can I use regular auto fluid?

Its in there. Its just very hard to see through the plastic indicator. I took my fairing off because I thought the same thing to check it. The fluid level was fine.

vsgofast
09-10-2005, 09:00 PM
If there's nothing in there put in Engine Ice. You can find it at online. The manual for the bike is available online and should show you how to set up your clocks.

Furion
09-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Where did you buy it? Since you stated that you did not receive an owners manual, did you receive the tool kit that comes with the Bike. The reason I am saying this is because contrary to popular belief you are supposed to get both those items. Think about it, you dish out over 15K for a bike, it's the least they could do. :bond:

CETME
09-11-2005, 02:09 AM
yes... I got the tool kit..... I got it from Gables Honda in Miami, FL....they have three previous model '"R"'s in stock... one "SP"? it looked really cool.... the '03 body style bikes are going for 12999... my 04 was 13999.... all of them with the full Ohlins/Oz setup.

my co-worker/rider buddies also got new bikes..... one got an '05 R1 Raven this past friday... and I got mine this past thursday... and then the other guy got his '05 CBR600rr yesterday...

we went out riding tonight and had a blast..... its funny to see three bikes looking brand new... with the wimpy dealer tag on them...

I noticed that my brake lights dont work.... which i'm kinda bummed about.... I'll have to check tommorow to see what the hell is up with it..... I can't tell if they're permanently on... or they simply dont turn on... we'll see....

CETME
09-11-2005, 02:10 AM
oh... MDRSV, I did the EXACT same thing you did... popped off the fairing and sure enough... it was right at the full mark....

Dr. Thrillride
09-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the bike. If you engage both the front and rear brake and no light, and your headlights and horn don't work, then it's your fuse. It's under the right side carbon panel that connects from the top fairing mount to the headlight (it's a mini 5 and there's a spare in the fuse box). If one or the other brake doesn't engage the light, it's that switch. If both horn and headlights work, it's the light assembly or something really, really ominous:bangwall: .

I noticed that my brake lights dont work.... which i'm kinda bummed about.... I'll have to check tommorow to see what the hell is up with it..... I can't tell if they're permanently on... or they simply dont turn on... we'll see....

CETME
09-12-2005, 01:09 AM
well.... it turned out to be the tip of a tie strap that somehow got lodged into the lever, causing the lever not to retract fully..... everything is perfect now!

This bike is absolutely awesome to ride...I'm still totally comfortable on it like I am with my Monster... but I'll get there soon......

I dont like the mid range flat spot.... but that can be fixed... and I hate that the instrument cluster is a pain to set... setting the clock and going to MPH instead of KM was a pain... the buttons are way too close together... but otherwise its awesome...

I gave it a good wax job with the new Meguiars NXT wax..... one coat of the liquid stuff.... one coat of the paste wax.... it shines like nothing i've ever seen....

I get looks everywhere we go... the Raven or the CBR600 dont get nearly as much attention as the aprilia does... people seem infatuated with the blue wheels.

Dr. Thrillride
09-13-2005, 10:26 AM
well, if that is the only pains you are experiencing, then you are doing just great. no worries about the flat spot, its gone with airbox, pipes, and map 2.

have fun. pretty soon you will not ride the monster.

I dont like the mid range flat spot.... but that can be fixed... and I hate that the instrument cluster is a pain to set... setting the clock and going to MPH instead of KM was a pain... the buttons are way too close together... but otherwise its awesome...

CETME
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Got some pics up here for you guys...

http://www.rivalracing.com/sitebuilder/images/Picture_0182-760x644.jpg

http://www.rivalracing.com/sitebuilder/images/Picture_0263-760x550.jpg

http://www.rivalracing.com/sitebuilder/images/Picture_0282-760x602.jpg

http://www.rivalracing.com/sitebuilder/images/Picture_036-760x472.jpg

http://www.rivalracing.com/images/Picture_044a.jpg

ckruzel
09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
very nice, welcome to the board, good choice over a 749, hyperdrive here on the forum can tell you what a wonderful bike that was for him, he had it around 2 months/600 miles when he traded it in on his factory

CETME
09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys!

say... how much oil goes into this thing with a filter change? I put 3.5 quarts in it... and I let it idle for about 5 min, and the oil in the read tube disappeared as the bike got warm....

Jack_Attack
09-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Congrats on the new bike.

I bought an '03 about 2 weeks ago. It was located in a warehouse out in CA. It's a std Mille but I could not pass it up. $7947 OTD w/1.9% financing. I got such a great rate that I upped the factory warranty to a total of 7 years.

I de-restricted the air box, very easy to do.

I just got nback in the house from trying to install a 45 tooth rear sprocket but the damn chain hasn't stretched enough yet. I hate to cut a new chain and add links. Slipon should be here in about 6 more days. PCIII is next. Great bike but still kind of slow. Handling is great but my ZZR1200 still has the jets.

Arnie
09-13-2005, 08:21 PM
And a silver one at that! Fastest color of course! ;)

Now get rid of those stock pipes and start modding!

Dr. Thrillride
09-13-2005, 11:22 PM
I don't know exactly how much, but add till you see oil in the bottom of the site glass, and that's it. When the engine is warm, it should be at the top of the site glass. beauty of a bike mate.

Thanks guys!

say... how much oil goes into this thing with a filter change? I put 3.5 quarts in it... and I let it idle for about 5 min, and the oil in the read tube disappeared as the bike got warm....