PDA

View Full Version : Autocom

atp159
09-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Has anyone used an Autocom, I am about to purchase one of their systems for the up comming journey south (2500Km round trip) to Philip Island for the Moto GP.
Should i get the 12V bike powerd model or go the 9V portable model????
Is there any problems with hooking this up to my bike battery (12V) or better still is their any one who may have already hooked this system up to one of our RSVR's that may be able to advise me on the do's and don'ts going about this exercise.

cheers and thanks again

atp159 :aussie:

zedx9
09-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I have both the 9v and the bike powered 12v. I originally bought the 9v so I could switch between bikes (leave it in the tank bag or what ever). I purchased the 9v Pro 7 Sport first and like it for my Aprilia because there really is nowhere good to mount the Active 7 Smart 12v. I traded a Chatterbox frs system for the Active 7 Smart to mount permanently on my ST4s. They both work great. The Pro 7 Sport I can stick in my tankbag with the radio and whatever else I want hooked up (xm radio :) ) and it also gets stuffed into my wifes jacket pocket to use just the intercom on short rides to town where I don't have my tankbag on. It is not too hard on 9v batts but that also depends on if you have something running (xm radio) all the time. I seem to get about 8-10 hours of riding with just intercom on vox and maybe 6-8 with the radio playing intermittently however YMMV. I have had other brands and I personally will stick with Autocom for their quality of contruction and sound.

atp159
09-09-2005, 04:17 PM
cheers for that mate, all i really needed to know. what do you think about mounting the 12V under the pillion seat??. not to sure if i want the hassle of batteries running low!!as i will plain to have both Bike to Bike and an mp3 running for 6-8hr on accasions.

cheers

scott2ride
09-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I havent used the Autocom. But do use the Baehr system http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/

All my friends use the Verso Plus version and it is bloody good.

I have wired direct to the bikes 12v and it is placed under the pillion seat, against the back wall plastic of the riders seat. It easily slips in there out of the way. I use a Uniden 5 watt radio which is attached in the side bulge next to the seats. I dont have an external aerial and still get a couple of miles distance. WEith an external aerial Id get 5 miles.

Sound quality is good and volume increaseses as wind noise increases (Normally with speed!). Even at 200kph I can talk to the pillion or mates on their bikes.

zedx9
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
The Active 7 Smart is small enough and there is a taillight wiring kit that may make it easier to wire in. By the time you get it and the radio mounted under the rear seat cowl, that space will be full. I have been using a Kenwood Freetalk XL radio. VOX works well so you will only need one lead running out from under your cowl. The Active 7 comes with everything you need except the radio and it's adapter cable.

atp159
09-10-2005, 03:12 AM
thanks your words of advise guys. went out and purchased the Autocom Active 7 this morning.now the fun bit of getting it up and running. will let you know how it works out.

cheers

atp159

:aussie:

Batfastard
09-10-2005, 04:36 AM
I dont know if your RSVR is the same under the tail as my Tuono, but these pics show where my Autocom is mounted. I put the radio in under the seat in a bit of bubble wrap. It's a bit OTT, but is intended to carry the PCIII, and other bits and pieces.
http://premium1.uploadit.org/batfastard//Autocom_1.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/batfastard//Autocom_2.JPG
The Mounting plate is a sheet of Aluminium [Aluminum to some] - it's an old kick plate off a door. Just bent over and bolted through the sub-frame. I left a 10-12mm gap above the ECU so it shouldn't overheat.
The relay is there because the power is direct off the battery - better for comms, no alternator whine, and the relay trips from the rear light feed.

scott2ride
09-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Damn thats neat and tidy! I bet your room was clean as a kid.

I just chucked mine under the seat and it was fine. And no crackles either :D. I wired to the tail light the first time I did it and then when moving to this bike I used a relay like you did, but with wires and crap everywhere.

But hey, it;s under the seat so only I know ! :rolleyes: ... well, that is until now... Cos now everyone knows...

Shit, :bangwall: I may have to fix it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!