PDA

View Full Version : Finally cored my exhaust

Catatonic
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I did it. Cored them out. They sound awesome, but they are freakin' LOUD! So loud that I think they will piss off the neighbors. But I could definitely feel that the bike had more power, even without switching to Map2. I bought a set of stock cans and cored them so I would still have my originals in tact. I have since switched back to my originals while I decide if I want to go with the cores or not. I took Scott2Ride's advice and went with a tapered core. I also used blanket style packing. They really do sound good.

uberchicken
09-07-2005, 01:43 PM
That's what I was afraid of, too loud. I was looking into the cored can route but it looks like I'll have to shell out a few more $$ for some slip-ons, probably arrow.

Maybe I'll core my stock cans for track use....

Aloha,
Uberchicken

smrst45
09-07-2005, 02:16 PM
How long did it take you to core out the pipes?

Catatonic
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
How long did it take you to core out the pipes?

I took me about 4 hours to do the set. The toughest part is getting the cats out.

That's what I was afraid of, too loud. I was looking into the cored can route but it looks like I'll have to shell out a few more $$ for some slip-ons, probably arrow.

They are definitely loud. I was afraid of the same thing, that's why I din't want to do it to my original cans. I think I'm going to go the same route. I've only got about $250 in the cored set, so no big deal. I think I'm going to go with the Akrapovics though.

TxRider
09-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Initially thought they were too loud. But The packing was just too loose. It was getting blown out. Then I went back and re-packed with the material I used before and the thin blanket that came in the stock can. That toned down a lot of the metallic ring. My head stopped ringing after that. It sounds real "mean" :fangs: , but not what I was looking for. My 2 valve Monster had a better sound with the Carbon Arrows that I put on it. I know that I can't get the same sound from the RSVR. That's ok. I am waiting on some Akrapovics Titaniums! I would have gone with carbon but felt like it wouldn't hold up to the Rotax. Carbon was ok on the Monster it only put out 63 hp. I also wanted something quieter this time around. The ringing in my ears reminded me that my hearing is important too.

BTW - I always wear earplugs, my Aria Quantum F is just plain noisy.

:peace:

Beyote
09-08-2005, 12:28 PM
What does the tapered version look like?? Pics please.

Catatonic
09-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I can't take a pic of the core since I've alread installed it. Basically I had the inlet end rolled to 2 13/16" and the outlet end rolled to 2", which resulted in a gradual taper. At the outlet end you can barely see the packing blanket. I will say though that the bike felt like it ran great even with Map1. It did run a little hotter, which I guess means it was a little lean.

sinbad
09-09-2005, 11:51 AM
What about the cored pipes without the taper?

Whats the difference performance & noise wise?

scott2ride
09-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Forget the neighbours. You wont be there long if you are going for a ride, and if all you are doing is reving it in the drive then you deserve to be hated :D

But you soon get used to the noise, and you should ride with ear plugs anyway!

Plus everyone will love the sound!

sinbad
09-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Thats ok then, mine is only out during the day. No early starts or late nights. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Now if this guy would just get his arse in gear and get them welded up... aargh.

Catatonic
09-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Like Scott said, they do sound awesome. I tapered mine after I read one of his previous posts that recommended it. Something about giving the bike a little more back pressure which smoothed it out.

scott2ride
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Id love to hear a sound file of that tapered cored pipe! :D