PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: fuelling and turnsignals...

hass
09-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I have noticed what seems to be a fuelling issue with my 04 Factory...

Whilst following traffic I have found that if the revs sit at about 3500-3800 rpm them the bike seems to "lunge" forwards occasionally.

However, as this has mostly occurred in 2nd gear it could be something else...

Anyone else noticed this?

Oh, and how do you reach the turnsignal button whilst slipping the clutch for slow corners????

derrickhackman
09-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I get some surging also. Running MAP2 with Tig slip-ons and the flapper mod.

wolly
09-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I did have the same problem.

Buy a powercommander with a custom map and everything is ok. You won't have to slip the clutch in slow corners because the engine gets smoother.

Rob

hass
09-05-2005, 05:01 AM
I even wonder if going to a 16/42 would help me - I was thinking that losing a tooth off the front cog would raise the revs for a given speed thus eliminating the need for slipping the clutch.

amauri
09-05-2005, 09:07 AM
I did have the same problem.
Buy a powercommander with a custom map and everything is ok. You won't have to slip the clutch in slow corners because the engine gets smoother.Rob
Do not install a PC3 to correct a poor running condition.
The bike should be tuned and running perfectly before installing the PC3.

Surging and stalling are some of the symptoms of the old software with open pipes and Map-2.
Ask your dealer to connect the AXONE and show you what software version number is currently installed on the ECU.

Schu
09-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Do not install a PC3 to correct a poor running condition.
The bike should be tuned and running perfectly before installing the PC3.

Surging and stalling are some of the symptoms of the old software with open pipes and Map-2.
Ask your dealer to connect the AXONE and show you what software version number is currently installed on the ECU.

Amauri, could a small vacuum leak also cause the Surging(searching) condition?

wolly
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I did get the new map 2 software but still had the surging.

The pc3 took care of that.

If you already have a perfect map, then you won't need the pc3.

amauri
09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
I did get the new map 2 software but still had the surging.
There are four different versions of the Map-2 software, the first version was not good.
Which one did your dealer install for you?

scott2ride
09-06-2005, 05:39 PM
I agree with Amauri. You probably dont need the PC3. Make sure you have the latest map first then CHECK YOUR THROTTLE BALANCE!!!!

I copied this from a post I just put on another thread, but it applies here too...

Firstly, even when you get the ECU updated with the latest map. DONT just assume you need a PC3! (Even if the on/off throttle is abrupt)

If your on/off throttle responce is still quite abrupt then I suggest the first thing you do is get the Throttle bodies balanced. (with Pressure of the front cylinder to be superior to the back, by 50 (+/- 10) hPa. In other words the Front Cyl is +50 milibars (+/- 10)

If the TBs are not correctly balanced the on/off throttle responce will be abrupt. Mine was a little like this so I got mine rechecked and the tech said it was ok and didnt need adjusting. But as the Axone was still plugged in I asked to have a look and found it was showing 620mb rear and 710 front. Thats 90mb difference. I gave the front screw a 1/8th turn myself and it changed to 620/670... and now the on/off throttle is great!

Secondly, if you still want a PC3, dont buy one yet. Start by getting the bike on a dyno and do a baseline run.... and mate sure they put the air/fuel gas meter into the headers and check what your air/fuel ratios are like.

You might need a PC3... but if your air/fuel is ok then dont bother!

I had mine checked and fueling was all over the place, so I needed a PC3. But my mates bike had the same modifications as mine and yet his air/fuel was almost perfect. Even the dyno guy admitted that he would have a hard time bettering the results.

But having said that, when they check the air/fuel mixture they normally do it at full throttle. But it is possible that part throttle response sucks. So if the a/f seems ok at about 12.8:1 or 13:1, then see how the bike feels on the road and if it feels good...dont waste your money!

Kiwi_M5
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
..... Oh, and how do you reach the turnsignal button whilst slipping the clutch for slow corners????

Put it on sooner
Put it on later
Dont indicate
Practice doing both at same time
or be a little more violent with the lever and let the slipper clutch do the work

wolly
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
There are four different versions of the Map-2 software, the first version was not good.

I think i got the second version of the map 2 software.

When my bike was on the dyno, the a/f ratio was way to lean in many areas.

I had my pc3 installed and mapped by the dutch dynojet importer. They do have special dynojet software that can make a custom map in about 1 hour.
Because i was the first with leovince high mounts i didn't have to pay for that :)

I agree with those who say you don't always need a pc3, but when you have already map2 installed and properly adjusted the throttle bodies and the throttle response still sucks then you can probably cure this with a pc3.

SEAN
09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Hass, i have two of these both have the same symptom, when on light throttle or balanced throttle at arount 3,800 they both 'kick', the Factory had the latest map 2 installed and aprilia Ti pipes fitted with cylinder balancing. Never looked back. The 'R' has to be done yet, but reminds me of how annoying the fault was if not bloody dangerous, also how astonishing the transformation is.

hass
09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if my stalling problem is related to this?... I wonder also where in Sweden I can get this all checked out :confused:

Dr. Thrillride
09-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Scotty, not all tuners tune for A/F. Some tune for power no matter where the A/F ratio is (within reason). I've had five different sets of cans on the bike now and each set required a different A/F mixture. The most radical difference was those bloody Devil hi-mounts. Regardless, the bike ran pretty good with all setups regardless of which map I was running and which set of cans I had installed. I really don't think it's that critical (or at least it's not with the Clarkie engine). I know one thing, the bike ran perfect with stock cans and map 1. And Clarkie, I know I know, you gotta come out here with a dyno, but no worries m8, I'm happy with the way she's running now. Just worked from Jesse's map and the Arrow's. :D

and mate sure they put the air/fuel gas meter into the headers and check what your air/fuel ratios are like.

You might need a PC3... but if your air/fuel is ok then dont bother!

I had mine checked and fueling was all over the place, so I needed a PC3. But my mates bike had the same modifications as mine and yet his air/fuel was almost perfect. Even the dyno guy admitted that he would have a hard time bettering the results.

But having said that, when they check the air/fuel mixture they normally do it at full throttle. But it is possible that part throttle response sucks. So if the a/f seems ok at about 12.8:1 or 13:1, then see how the bike feels on the road and if it feels good...dont waste your money!